Kalik - Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.

Commonwealth Brewery Ltd. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Kalik has a medium, fizzy, white head and a clear, yellow-golden appearance, with very little lacing left behind. There are a few bubbles streaming up, but not a lot. Aroma is of lightly-roasted barley malt and dash of hops. The flavor is not much different, except that sweetness is also present. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Kalik finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mostly dry. This is an enjoyable and round beer. I really think you should try it! RJT

Perfect beer for sunning on the beaches of the Bahamas. Also worth noting, no open container laws in the Bahamas= drinking beer on a public bus :-) = drunk 24/7. Last year when I visited Freeport this was the only liquid I drank for 4 days. Surprisingly, little to no hangover. This is a beer that must be drank at the Bahamas to get the freshest beer and best atmoshpere available, otherwise it becomes very skunky in the states, even in Florida. Also, very inexpensive in the islands, $2 at most liquor stores.

A: Light golden color visible though clear bottle. Marginal head on tap, none from the bottle.

S: Tropical smell, similar to any Mexican/South American beer.

T & M: Very smooth on tap and slight bitterness from bottle.

D: Slam, 1, Slam, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 even without noticing.

If you are visiting the Bahamas try Kalik and if you can Kalik Gold, let it be known you can carry and six pack back with you on certain cruise lines.

3.92/5  rDev +46.8%

Huh. This beer surprised me. Much different than I expected. I was thinking Red Stripe. But it's way different. The smell is typical of an adjunct lager at first, but then there's this oddity that sort of throws you off. It's a little darker than an American adjunct. By the way, I poured it into a pint glass. That oddity in the smell hits you on the taste. I swear I'm getting hints of prunes or figs. A pleasant surprise. The mouth feel reflects this as well. While there's the typical lager crispness and sharpness from carbonation is there but there's also a slickness left behind. Maybe from the fruit? I had this with a shot of rum. So whenever I drink some Sailor Jerry's again, I'm gonna want one of these with it. Went perfect with the rum.

3.92/5  rDev +46.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear darker gold with a thin, wispy white head. Really poor head retention and no lacing to speak of.

Bready aroma with some hints of flowers, hay, and grass. Somewhat reminiscent of a European lager.

More bread in the taste. There is just the lightest bit of toast in there along with grass and hay from the hops. Bitterness in on the light side and the finish is extremely dry and crisp. This has to be one of the most refreshing beers I have had.

Overall, what an awesome lighter lager! It is so crisp and has just enough flavor to keep it from being boring. A great beer to drink in hot weather and just blows away Red Stripe

3.9/5  rDev +46.1%

I'm just back from a trip to the Bahamas and the place I stayed at offered Heineken, Kalik and Miller Lite. I've had both Heineken and Miller Lite so I thought I'd try the local brew, Kalik. Boy was I impressed. I drank quite a bit of this brew while sitting by the pool and each one tasted as good as the last. I sure got a good buzz but even better, no headache!
If you ever get to the Bahamas be sure to try Kalik.

3.88/5  rDev +45.3%

Cruise to the Bahamas, and was served in a bottle at a local restaraunt in Lacaya, Bahamas. The beer is a very pale, crystal clear, vibrant yellow color with no head. The nose is heavy toasted aromas, with slight floral and corn highlights. Flavors are toasty and slightly sour, but light. The beer is very crisp and light, but carbonation stays low enough to keep from being sharp. Slightly sour malt and roasted aftertaste, with a clean, crisp finish.

3.85/5  rDev +44.2%

When compared to other Caribbean or South of the Border "vacation destination" style beers, Kalik stands alone. This is a well-made lager. Golden in color with medium bodied, herbal malt. Amply hopped with tea-like and citrus bitterness. A light taste of lime blends well with a bit of sweetness. The aroma is mild but quite pleasant. The very white head lasts long enough to admire. Surprisingly nice beer!
BTW – Kalik is one of the happy sounds heard in the festive “Junkanoo” parades/celebrations of the Bahamas. It’s best to enjoy a Junkanoo celebration with a Kalik beer in hand

3.84/5  rDev +43.8%

Based on the tale of a young bartender who served me this beer while i was at port waiting for my fiance to get her hair braided in Nassau, this beer was named after the sound of cow bells jingling when a herd was rounded up - you can look up the history of Bahamian cowboys on your own if it's worth a glance. Regardless of the mediocre to awful reviews this beer has received, I would highly recommend it. I had this beer for the first time at a bar in Nassau in 100 degree weather and believe me...my thirst was quenched - nevermind having my beer thirst satiated - and I was enjoying my time waiting three hours for a hair braid. I wouldn't recommend it as a lounge drink on a cool day or as an extra in the fridge, but believe me, when it's hot this hits the spot (unintentional rhyme), and it's so far beyond bud light and coors light or any other "limited" beverage you may drink. Beer pong with Kalik...do it; different experience guaranteed. It's perfect for bbq's or afternoons outdoors with friends. Just...just...just drink it, Ok?!

3.68/5  rDev +37.8%

Yeah yeah, yeah, American Macro Lager, blahblahblah. This beer is good. Is it lacking in craftsmanship? Yes. Is it lacking in character? Yes. Do you pay way too much for it? Yes. Does it taste great? Yes. Is there a better beer that accompanies a scenario better? No. Try this one under the hot sun of the Out Island (Abaco, Eleuthera) paired with local seafood, or conch fritters, and you'll see.

3.55/5  rDev +33%

I tried this one quite a few times while in Nassau. Has a golden color with little head and very little lacing. Not a huge aroma to this one, a hint of malt, adjuncts and even less hops. Tastes about the same as it smells, nothing really sticks out to me about this beer other than its abundance and drinkabilty. I think the bottle says its 5.0%abv. I'm not surprised to see the low ratings, but you have to rate this beer for what it is. I say mission accomplished for a solid brew.

3.52/5  rDev +31.8%

Tried at FAB Fest, Miami Beach, last weekend (notes taken).

Golden-yellow with a moderate white head. Hoppy, yeasty, typical lager-ish nose - quite distinct. Crisp, average lager flavour (at least it had flavour unlike other brands I could mention); very refreshing. Carbonation was a little on the high side, but that's acceptable. Hops came through to a degree in the aftertaste.

Not bad as lagers go, good for a hot day.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Ok, I had to submit this to counter all the Kalik haters! What we need here is CONTEXT.

Make no mistake, this is a macro-brew lager. How good could a macro-brew lager possibly be? Don't try to put it up against a Czech pils, or even a Hieniken or Stienlager.

I don't have that sensitive of a palate, so there is really only one difference between this, a Bud, a Corona, or a Pabst...it is actually made in the Bahamas.

I drank mine on a beach in the Bahamas, through a small plastic cup as part of an "all inclusive" resort experience. I was so happy they chose something local.

So what if it was barely discernable from other simple yellow beer? It now reminds me of that beach, that island, and that culture.

Bud can't compete with that, now can it?

3.47/5  rDev +30%

Maybe because I downed three of these in no time flat in the ocean on a public beach in Nassau, surrounded by 50 native children and five great friends, but the memory of enjoying this beer was probably better than the beer itself. Nevertheless, I continued to pass on the Corona and pick the Kalik instead. Yes, it's your typical Macro lager, but it was quite refreshing and very drinkable. Worth the try when you're in the Bahamas.

3.44/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this out here on Roatan. It's actually pretty interesting compared to the usual offerings that are available on the island. It has a light body with a surprising hoppy kick that makes it really refreshing on these hot days.

3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and decent lacing.

The smell featured a musty noble hop and a light adjunct sweetness.

The taste was typical of the style with a slightly livelier hop than most. Pretty moderate malt-wise.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall an above average macro lager.

3.41/5  rDev +27.7%

Had several of these on my cruise to the Bahamas. Pours a clear golden color with a small white head that left little lacing. Aroma of sweet pale malts and some adjunct. Tastes of some pale malt, light hop bitterness, light corn. Typical macro flavor, but smooth and crisp, easy to put a few of these back in the warm sun. A decent macro and even better since you can drink it in the Caribbean streets!

3.4/5  rDev +27.3%

Drank this while in Nassau.

Poured from bottle into a glass mug.

Color is an extremely light straw color. There is a thin head which quickly dissipates.

Aroma is "clean" with a slight almond nuttiness.

Taste is very light, but there is a bit of sweetness and a slight almond flavor. Virtually no hop character at all.

The beer is thin, but I hesitate to call it watery. While the flavor and aroma are quite light, this beer does have some worthwhile attributes. Being such a light beer, it is certainly an easy drinker. I couldn't see drinking this back in the states, but, given the warm Bahamian breeze and my broiled grouper, I found this cool, clean beer to be quite refreshing.

3.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pale golden yellow; thin layer of soft, loose, white head; little retention

S - musty, grainy, grassy

T - grainy, grassy, straw, a bit musty, lagery

M - smooth, well carbonated, smooth, light bodied

It's easily drinkable and smooth, but it doesn't offer much flavor-wise. It's better than most in this style, but it still leaves much to be desired.

3.37/5  rDev +26.2%

Drank multiple Kaliks on a recent trip to the Bahamas. Clear bottle with a straw colored beer inside. A few quick swirls show off a fizzy white head. Have not seen this in the states before.

Smells like your basic island lager. Light malty scent combines with some corn and, wait...whats this?!...some hops?! What a novel concept.

Delicate balance is maintained well between light malts and a noticeable amount of hop flavors. Highly carbonated and tastes like it has some corn adjuncts in it. Quite refreshing.

I'm not going to go so far as to recommend trying this beer, but I have no problem at all drinking this one at a tiki bar on the beach. I'd take this over many of the mexican brews.

3.35/5  rDev +25.5%

I just got back from an all-inclusive resort in the Bahamas. This was the only beer option. I drank many of these over the week, they were the ultimate refresher in the 90 degree heat.

In the glass Kalik is gold straw hued with a foamy film of a head and a few whisps of lace left behind. The smell is light with a hint of fresh mown grass, and some weak pale malts. The taste is akin to a Czech Pilsner; wet hop leaf and a moderate bitterness mix with biscuity malt and some light corn flavors. The finish is lightly bitter and lasts a little while.

This is much better than the run of the mill international lager... because it has some hop flavor. The malt profile is anemic as is the norm.

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

A summer breeze flows through the palm tree's fronds and brushes my face with a sweet refreshing coolness that suggests "welcome"-and I smile. I just arrived to Nassau Bahamas where Kalik gives you the style of a local with the swag of one of Tupac's vey own homies. I guzzle down the juice of Kalik and I shudder as the tropical water flows through my veins. I sway a little as I attempt to recycle but unfortunately drop the glass on the road. My heart breaks as the bottle shatters before my eyes. That bottle, which held one of the most beautiful beers on the planet, which gave me my swagger, my new bahamian life, has been destroyed. As I start to break down in tears, staring at the ground, this wonderful foot steps into my sight. The foot has skin white as a ghost with red hairs orange as an orange, the fruit. She caresses my body and pulls out another kalik from her purse. I glimpse waterfalls of red hairs hanging from her underarm. Her name is Aoife, and she lies in nettles with me with kaliks surrounding our bodies. Anyway, long story short, Kalik landed me with the most amazing girl ever and it tasted great

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Had quite a few cans of this while vacationing with Alewife last week at Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort.

Pours a clear, pale golden color, with average carbo rising up. Head was quite minimal, mainly a thin white layer of bubbles which lapsed quite quickly. Lacing was also on the short side for the most part. Nose was a touch bready, but mostly had a grassy hoppiness emanating forth. Somewhat on the mild side, overall. The body was close to medium, surprisingly, with a light touch of prickliness in the mostly smooth feel on the tongue.

Kalik has a subtle sweetness coming through at the start, in a corny type of manner. A little breadiness is present here, too, with lots of grassy, earthy hops dominating the taste, though not really overly bitter. Quite dry in the finish, this isn't too bad, overall. I can drink a few, but then it gets a bit tiring. Found it to be a bit better than I recall Red Stripe being....

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | drink: 3

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

Received as a gift in a box marked Beers of the World. Poured into standard beer pint glass.

A) Pours with light head that dissipates very quickly. Light golden yellow and very clear.

S) Malt and light citrus smell .

T) Sweet, malt and grain.

M) Medium light body and good carbonation. With a slight linger of sweetness

D) Average lager. I could drink one or two on a hot day on the beach. A lager is not first choice but it was a nice change of pace.

3.19/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. can into a plastic cup.

A slightly hazy straw color with a little foam and not much head retention.
Smell is slightly bready, maybe a hint of yeast.
This tastes better to my palate than most American Lagers. A pleasant sweetness from the malt a bit of a hop bite. Nice.
Mouthfeel is typical lager.
Overall, I give it a bit of a bonus because I'm DRINKING IT IN THE BAHAMAS! It's actually the perfect beach beer. Easy drinking, smooth and tasty.

3.16/5  rDev +18.4%

Kalik is what it is, a crisp and refreshing light lager. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Maybe it had something to do with the location ( Bahamas ) but this beer was very enjoyable. It had a pleasant and drinkable flavor and left me wanting more. I.m not sure that this would taste half as good at home, but it sure tasted good here.

Kalik from Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.