Kalik - Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.

KalikKalik

poor

Commonwealth Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Bahamas

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002)

hncowden50, Nov 21, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +83.5%

Viper1110, Sep 13, 2014

Kalik has a medium, fizzy, white head and a clear, yellow-golden appearance, with very little lacing left behind. There are a few bubbles streaming up, but not a lot. Aroma is of lightly-roasted barley malt and dash of hops. The flavor is not much different, except that sweetness is also present. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Kalik finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mostly dry. This is an enjoyable and round beer. I really think you should try it! RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jul 17, 2011

RonnieTomillo, Jun 23, 2014

NHOKNYCKC, Jun 19, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +49.6%

Perfect beer for sunning on the beaches of the Bahamas. Also worth noting, no open container laws in the Bahamas= drinking beer on a public bus :-) = drunk 24/7. Last year when I visited Freeport this was the only liquid I drank for 4 days. Surprisingly, little to no hangover. This is a beer that must be drank at the Bahamas to get the freshest beer and best atmoshpere available, otherwise it becomes very skunky in the states, even in Florida. Also, very inexpensive in the islands, $2 at most liquor stores.

A: Light golden color visible though clear bottle. Marginal head on tap, none from the bottle.

S: Tropical smell, similar to any Mexican/South American beer.

T & M: Very smooth on tap and slight bitterness from bottle.

D: Slam, 1, Slam, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 even without noticing.

If you are visiting the Bahamas try Kalik and if you can Kalik Gold, let it be known you can carry and six pack back with you on certain cruise lines.

Ozone34, May 03, 2006
3.96/5  rDev +48.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear darker gold with a thin, wispy white head. Really poor head retention and no lacing to speak of.

Bready aroma with some hints of flowers, hay, and grass. Somewhat reminiscent of a European lager.

More bread in the taste. There is just the lightest bit of toast in there along with grass and hay from the hops. Bitterness in on the light side and the finish is extremely dry and crisp. This has to be one of the most refreshing beers I have had.

Overall, what an awesome lighter lager! It is so crisp and has just enough flavor to keep it from being boring. A great beer to drink in hot weather and just blows away Red Stripe

rangerred, Oct 18, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +47.7%

Based on the tale of a young bartender who served me this beer while i was at port waiting for my fiance to get her hair braided in Nassau, this beer was named after the sound of cow bells jingling when a herd was rounded up - you can look up the history of Bahamian cowboys on your own if it's worth a glance. Regardless of the mediocre to awful reviews this beer has received, I would highly recommend it. I had this beer for the first time at a bar in Nassau in 100 degree weather and believe me...my thirst was quenched - nevermind having my beer thirst satiated - and I was enjoying my time waiting three hours for a hair braid. I wouldn't recommend it as a lounge drink on a cool day or as an extra in the fridge, but believe me, when it's hot this hits the spot (unintentional rhyme), and it's so far beyond bud light and coors light or any other "limited" beverage you may drink. Beer pong with Kalik...do it; different experience guaranteed. It's perfect for bbq's or afternoons outdoors with friends. Just...just...just drink it, Ok?!

ASirahSyrah, Aug 01, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +47.7%

Huh. This beer surprised me. Much different than I expected. I was thinking Red Stripe. But it's way different. The smell is typical of an adjunct lager at first, but then there's this oddity that sort of throws you off. It's a little darker than an American adjunct. By the way, I poured it into a pint glass. That oddity in the smell hits you on the taste. I swear I'm getting hints of prunes or figs. A pleasant surprise. The mouth feel reflects this as well. While there's the typical lager crispness and sharpness from carbonation is there but there's also a slickness left behind. Maybe from the fruit? I had this with a shot of rum. So whenever I drink some Sailor Jerry's again, I'm gonna want one of these with it. Went perfect with the rum.

12stepCornelius, Jul 06, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +46.6%

Cruise to the Bahamas, and was served in a bottle at a local restaraunt in Lacaya, Bahamas. The beer is a very pale, crystal clear, vibrant yellow color with no head. The nose is heavy toasted aromas, with slight floral and corn highlights. Flavors are toasty and slightly sour, but light. The beer is very crisp and light, but carbonation stays low enough to keep from being sharp. Slightly sour malt and roasted aftertaste, with a clean, crisp finish.

GarthDanielson, Jun 27, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +46.6%

I'm just back from a trip to the Bahamas and the place I stayed at offered Heineken, Kalik and Miller Lite. I've had both Heineken and Miller Lite so I thought I'd try the local brew, Kalik. Boy was I impressed. I drank quite a bit of this brew while sitting by the pool and each one tasted as good as the last. I sure got a good buzz but even better, no headache!
If you ever get to the Bahamas be sure to try Kalik.

BRUKER, Mar 16, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +45.9%

When compared to other Caribbean or South of the Border "vacation destination" style beers, Kalik stands alone. This is a well-made lager. Golden in color with medium bodied, herbal malt. Amply hopped with tea-like and citrus bitterness. A light taste of lime blends well with a bit of sweetness. The aroma is mild but quite pleasant. The very white head lasts long enough to admire. Surprisingly nice beer!
BTW – Kalik is one of the happy sounds heard in the festive “Junkanoo” parades/celebrations of the Bahamas. It’s best to enjoy a Junkanoo celebration with a Kalik beer in hand

BeerResearcher, Mar 20, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +41%

Yeah yeah, yeah, American Macro Lager, blahblahblah. This beer is good. Is it lacking in craftsmanship? Yes. Is it lacking in character? Yes. Do you pay way too much for it? Yes. Does it taste great? Yes. Is there a better beer that accompanies a scenario better? No. Try this one under the hot sun of the Out Island (Abaco, Eleuthera) paired with local seafood, or conch fritters, and you'll see.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Mar 23, 2007

PrvoPivo, May 20, 2012

richwalpole, Jan 12, 2013

BradKingston, May 28, 2013

stevenlukpat, May 14, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +34.6%

I tried this one quite a few times while in Nassau. Has a golden color with little head and very little lacing. Not a huge aroma to this one, a hint of malt, adjuncts and even less hops. Tastes about the same as it smells, nothing really sticks out to me about this beer other than its abundance and drinkabilty. I think the bottle says its 5.0%abv. I'm not surprised to see the low ratings, but you have to rate this beer for what it is. I say mission accomplished for a solid brew.

woodjm, Mar 26, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Ok, I had to submit this to counter all the Kalik haters! What we need here is CONTEXT.

Make no mistake, this is a macro-brew lager. How good could a macro-brew lager possibly be? Don't try to put it up against a Czech pils, or even a Hieniken or Stienlager.

I don't have that sensitive of a palate, so there is really only one difference between this, a Bud, a Corona, or a Pabst...it is actually made in the Bahamas.

I drank mine on a beach in the Bahamas, through a small plastic cup as part of an "all inclusive" resort experience. I was so happy they chose something local.

So what if it was barely discernable from other simple yellow beer? It now reminds me of that beach, that island, and that culture.

Bud can't compete with that, now can it?

abc3, Jan 03, 2011

steelreserve69, May 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Maybe because I downed three of these in no time flat in the ocean on a public beach in Nassau, surrounded by 50 native children and five great friends, but the memory of enjoying this beer was probably better than the beer itself. Nevertheless, I continued to pass on the Corona and pick the Kalik instead. Yes, it's your typical Macro lager, but it was quite refreshing and very drinkable. Worth the try when you're in the Bahamas.

Backer2004, May 17, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Tried at FAB Fest, Miami Beach, last weekend (notes taken).

Golden-yellow with a moderate white head. Hoppy, yeasty, typical lager-ish nose - quite distinct. Crisp, average lager flavour (at least it had flavour unlike other brands I could mention); very refreshing. Carbonation was a little on the high side, but that's acceptable. Hops came through to a degree in the aftertaste.

Not bad as lagers go, good for a hot day.

Imbiber, Feb 15, 2004

dtx00, Oct 01, 2012

JKG, Sep 24, 2014

67cuda, Dec 10, 2013
Kalik from Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.