Kalik Light - Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.

Kalik LightKalik Light

poor

Commonwealth Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Bahamas

Light Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-29-2004)
Reviews by WoodBrew:
2.8/5  rDev +12.9%

A lighter version of Kalik no real major difference. A golden clear color with decent carbonation. Grain provides the smell and most of the taste. Certainly there are some hops to help balance slightly...but hey who we kidding. The mouthfeel is fine on a hot summer day...if it were winter this would not get you to where one would want to be.

2.15/5  rDev -13.3%

Bad beer, avoid, yes avoid.Had this in the bahamas, didnt notice it before so it must be fairly new. Looked normal, smelt ok, taste was another story. this beer has a very doughy taste, you can taste the corn+rice! Very low quality in my opinion. When in the bahamas, drink miller, as sad as it is to say.

3.25/5  rDev +31%

3.25/5  rDev +31%

2.17/5  rDev -12.5%

It's amazing that you can acutally carbonate alcoholic water and call it beer. This may be the most flavorless beer I've ever drank. Its fizzy and looses head retention magically quick. No lacing, overcarbonated and nearly clear. And that is the best of this beer. it's tough to comment on because there isn't enough flavor here to consider bad. I'ts basically water with a touch of alcohol.

1.98/5  rDev -20.2%

Light beer seems to always have bad connotations in my mind, and I'm not sure that this one will change my mind all that much, but I'll give it a fair shake. A moderate pour yields about a finger of head, which is more than I expected and lasts a bit longer than I had anticipated, too. Color is a pale, even sickly looking gold, with plenty of rising bubbles in the glass.

First sniff and I get a big whiff of corn and adjuncts, the smell of cooked vegetables, and some hops... I think. Oddly enough, I see myself in the Caribbean with little other choice than this, and the smell makes me think that it wouldn't be so bad in the sweltering heat.

I take a sip even while it's still rather cold, but I figure that it's supposed to be served cold as a lager, but also in the light macro style, it should be even colder (give me blue mountains, dammit!). I tasted nothing. In the very tail end I got a slight bitterness, but more of an adjunct-laced metallic kind of bitterness. Still, it being a light beer, it may have been more toned down than its regular version. I wouldn't want to test that theory, though. Aftertaste is dry and miniscule, and so clean that I'm not sure it fits. There's the taste of rice or some adjunct that kicks back in the aftertaste as well that I'm just not sure about.

This is meant to be an easy-drinking beer, and it is. I'm sure it's best served in the sunshine of a beautiful day on an island with white sandy beaches or at a pool bar right next to the ocean. However, it doesn't do much for me, but I'm grateful that I could even try such a rare find, as I hear it's mostly a Bahamian beer for the resorts. Nevertheless, an overall tasteless and watery beer in the macro style, and a lighter version for those watching their figure.

2.5/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Poured a clear straw color with a thin white head that leaves minimal lacing behind

S - Has your standard macro smell grainy corny malt

T - Just like most other light macro beers with a grainy malt taste

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

D - This was a good beer to drink in the Bahama heat after walking around its the perfect refreshing beer to cool off with

3.13/5  rDev +26.2%

Hand carried back from Nassau.

A) Looks like a light beer. Very pale straw color with good clarity and a thin ring of head.

S) Very mild aroma overall, some mild corn and a whiff of leafy hops.

T) First impression was a bit chlorinated, but that faded quickly. A mild hop finish, again leafy, and a thin cracker malt base. A very mild metallic finish. It tastes like a light beer.

M) Light body (of course), medium carbonation.

D) A pretty good light beer. Nothing I'll crave, but it stands up to other light beers I've had, and it's a hard style to brew, no room for hiding mistakes and this doesn't really have any.

2.5/5  rDev +0.8%

1.75/5  rDev -29.4%

Kalik Light from Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.