Belle Vue Kriek - Brasserie Belle-Vue

Belle Vue KriekBelle Vue Kriek

Brasserie Belle-Vue visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-25-2002)
tatterdash

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Corked bottle, pours a clear red with a creamy pinkish head that looks like soft ice cream and lacing very well. Aroma of sour cherries and oak woodiness. Taste was sweet and sour cherries with a bit of malt and long bitter finish. Kind of oddly inconsistent, some sips are much more sour and bitter than others, it might be how I am sipping though. Mouthfeel was surprisely creamy with a bit of astrigency, especially in the finish. This is much better than I remembered for such an easy to find Lambic.

01-01-2007 07:51:20 | More by tatterdash
InandOutBeerGuys

3.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Belgian Saison+cherry soda+decade old fruit wine=somewhat weird but wonderful concoction. This had the nose of the wine, sour & complex yeasty charactor of a Saison Farmhouse Ale and of course the fizzy cherry taste of the soda. Very interesting & enjoyable, defianetly a must try-thumbs up!

11-13-2006 23:48:58 | More by InandOutBeerGuys
norwichboy

Australia

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Utterly beautiful beer, with a perfect black cherry hue, red cherry when held to the light, and a large light pink creamy head that has excellent retention and lacing. The smell is very sweet, Love Heart-like confectionary, with sour notes - not clearly cherry from smell. On tasting it comes through more sour, quite tart. Again, the cherry is there but not particularly strong. I found the mouthfeel rather thin (oily) and flat. On swallowing it produces a fantastic long sour finish, which, together with the appearance is the real highlight of this beer for me.

Overall, I find myself with mixed feelings about this beer, great appearance and sour finish, but the aroma (in both smell and taste) is hard to get into. I'd much prefer an "unberried" lambic style.

11-13-2006 11:06:33 | More by norwichboy
asabreed

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

$3.99 Caged and corked small bottle. Served chilled, per the bottle's suggestion, into a Lindemann's Stange.

Appearance: A reddish-brown color with minimal lacing and a minimal head (I didn't give it a vigorous pour into the glass either). Slight amounts of bubbles are gurgling their long road to the top of the glass.

Smell: Vinous characters, vinegar, sourness, cherry syrup and real cherries, though I wish the latter was more prominent. Mild medicinal phenols seem to be there too.

Taste: The cherry nature of the beer is surely at the forefront, though the taste in itself is fairly subdued throughout. The syrup-like nature instead of the real feeling of the meat of the cherry is there mostly, with some acidity, sourness, slight vinegar, and some other fruit flavors. Finishes initially sweet before turning to a slightly dryer nature.

Mouthfeel: A nice twang of carbonation at first, then some fullness with very little carbonation, and then a slight slight burst at the end. But I think the lack of carbonation helps the flavors really come to the forefront and come together well.

Drinkability: A small price to pay for the enjoyment I got out of this, not to mention how long it lasted with the small sips for maximum enjoyment. I'm still getting into lambics, but I really dig this and think it's definitely worth a shot even if you're skeptical.

08-27-2006 04:36:53 | More by asabreed
headlessparrot

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

I do have a bit of a thing for corked bottles. They're just so much fun. But that's really not the point. I've heard a lot about Belle Vue Kriek - some of it good, some of it bad. The consensus, however, is that it should hardly qualify as beer. But beer it is, and I might as well take a closer look. Part of the six-pack gift set I recieved on my birthday, though I'd tried it once before.

I lack a proper snifter, as I'm inbetween living spaces, and the snifters are packed tightly away for the time being, so I improvised and used an oversized wine-glass. It doesn't seem to have adversely affected the brew, but I'll mention that anyway. Pours purple from the corked green bottle, though once a mass of it settles into the glass, it takes on a more reddish-copper-brown shade unless placed directly in light, where it appears a reddish-purple. Capped by a solid two-and-a-half fingers of off-white (faintly purple) head with tremendous staying power. Dissapates gradually to about one full finger, but stays at about that level for most of the drink, leaving gobs of faintly white-purple lacing on the side of the glass. An unconventional appearance, but a good one (though I can't compare it to other lambics, as I have little experience with the style).

Smell is simple, but pleasant enough. Cherries dominate, but it's more of a cherry syrup flavour than true, natural cherries. Can't distinctly pick up the specific variety of cherry, though it's a pleasant character. Some faint, non-descript spices, additionally. Sourness, but most of all, tremendously sweet. Just a touch of grassiness. A touch of woodiness - perhaps aged in barrels? Good, but hardly what I'm after when I sit down for a beer. All in all, a bit of a one-note smell, though.

Taste is more of the same. Cherries. Cherries. Cherries. But again, not natural; more like cherry syrup. Quite, quite sweet initially. Hints of wood and just a touch of wet grass. Cranberries? After a substantial sweet kick, turns sour, though not absolutely mouth-puckeringly so. Almost like Cherry Blasters candies. After the sour kick, the sweet returns momentarily, then is accompanied by a faint bitterness on the finish, with some surprising dryness. Vinous aftertaste; residual cherry taste for several moments afterwards. Would describe its taste as more wine than beer, though it wouldn't be technically accurate. Again, a bit of a one-note show; good, but not what I'm after when I sit down for a beer.

Mouthfeel is fine. Carbonation is quite lively, but not unreasonable, and draws attention away from the artificiality of the cherry presence. Body is medium, a touch syrupy perhaps, but not bad. Drinkability, however, remains to be seen. I've consumed two bottles of Belle Vue Kriek in my lifetime and, while I'm scoring it generally positively, I think that may be enough for the rest of my life. It's certainly a tasty, sweet treat, but to say it for the third time, most definitely not what I'm after when I crave a beer. The sweet and sour flavours are heavy, meaning you'll only want one at a time, at most.

All in all, Belle Vue Kriek is a tasty drink. And while it's Beer, it's hardly "beer" (if you know what I mean). Sweet, and worth a try, and perhaps something your non-beer drinker friends will enjoy, but not special enough to warrant regular consumption.

08-22-2006 23:04:17 | More by headlessparrot
Regenpak

Netherlands

4.72/5  rDev +38%

This is my favorite kriek bier! I love pouring it in its frozen bolleke, and see the thawing frost creep upward. Obviously, this beer wants to be cold. This is one of those beers that are sold in those criminal 30 cl eurobottles. In this case this is an advantage as the original Belle Vue bottles contained only 25 cl. Well, you win some and you lose some. After pouring the ice cold beer the 3 cm head slowly recedes. The color is a beautiful deep red when held against the sunlight. The smell is fresh and fruity (obviously). Tasting it is pure bliss. The krieken (sour cherries) bounce all over the place! This fine kriekenbier is highly recommended.

08-18-2006 16:36:45 | More by Regenpak
grub

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

pours crystal clear ruby red with a huge light pink head. the head is slow to drop and leaves tons of thick lace behind.

aroma is cherry, slightly sour. sweet.

taste is sweet and cherry, slightly tart/sour. almost too sweet, because it makes the cherry come through a bit like cough syrup. just a hint of bitterness noticeable as it goes down and a fairly dry finish. it's almost more wine-like than beer to me. interesting though. a little warmth on the way down, more than i'd expect from 5.2%.

mouthfeel is good. lots of carbonation helps balance out the sweetness and remove some of the syrupy taste.

drinkability is good. not what i'd usually reach for, but i'm enjoying it.

08-13-2006 22:30:51 | More by grub
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

A deep ruby beer with a shy white head that slowly let her lace around the glass.

Smell is cherry like of course, with a shy hint of spices followed by yeasts and water which end with a shy malty base.

Taste is fruit juice followed by cherries and a flavor of jam, All is surrounded by yeast, spices and an oaked finish

08-08-2006 17:18:42 | More by 3Vandoo
biegaman

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

A very sleek appearence, great carbonation on the pour, well pronouced mouthfeel. Somewhat lively, oak (or cork?) is tasted, proof of ageing maybe? Not much artificialness, this beer doesn't quite compare to some other great, more authentic Belgian's. Lacks any deep cherries. Especially in light of its lambic style "sourness" this is lacking. Slightly tart in the after taste for those who aren't too exposed to lambics. Enjoyed this more before I knew what a good fruit Lambic really was.

07-11-2006 16:12:32 | More by biegaman
hunteraw

China

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

This is the first lambic I've had the opportunity to try, so I'll try to keep style in mind but I don't have another reference.

Appearance: Pours an attractive ruby/garnet color, nice offwhite head, beautiful lacing on the inside of the glass.

Smell is of cherry, perhaps black cherry specifically. Smells like it's going to be very sweet, which is worrying...

Taste: First a rush of cherry flavor, then the bitterness comes in, then it finishes sweet. I was expecting it to be sour, but I don't really get that here.

Mouthfeel: Aftertaste is, of course, cherry. The sourness comes in a little bit here, too - finally a little acidity, which I like. Carbonation is good. Mouthfeel a touch syrupy, but it works here.

Drinkability: This is more drinkable than I expected, very flavorful, but 375ml is more than enough cherry for me.

06-12-2006 23:18:26 | More by hunteraw
crwills

3.13/5  rDev -8.5%

I've tried a few fruit beers now, and I'm still not getting into them. I don't think it's my thing. So bear that in mind...

Anyway, poured this from a corked bottle into a large red wine glass. Nice fluffy pinkish head. Beer itself was a dark red with pink highlights. Actually looks pretty nice.

Aroma and taste are very similar, and not complex at all. Overwhelming cherry Kool-Aid aromas, with a bit of cough syrup sweetness and some mild yeast or woody notes. Although the carbonation is low, I found that the aftertaste from this beer reminded me of champagne. Saving grace is a nice, smooth, sticky mouthfeel that fits the fruity style perfectly.

OK for something different, but not something I'd drink regularly.

06-08-2006 01:09:21 | More by crwills
atigerlife

Hawaii

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Review #2 (1/26/07]: poured from a 375ml bottle into a Belle Vue kriek glass. Overall, I enjoyed this more than my previous tasting which was on tap. The beer seemed to have more character and balance out of the bottle.

Original review:
Served on tap in a Belle Vue glass with matching coaster. Nice touch.

Appearance is amazing. Deep ruby red with large pink head. Beautiful. Quite startling for a beer. No carbonation visible.

Aroma of sour cherries with some wet grass.

Taste is of cherries, sour. Had an unpleasant aftertaste that I couldn't quite figure out.

Mouthfeel was light with no carbonation. Listless. Left a strange coating on the tongue. Rather unpleasant.

Overall, it was decent with chocolate and decent for the style, but not something I would try and have again. The unusual aftertaste and mouthfeel really were difficult.

06-03-2006 15:31:47 | More by atigerlife
mcallister

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

Dark dense ruby. High carbonation in the pink head of a half inch. Very pretty kreik.

Deep sour cherry , with other berry nuances shining through the aroma.

Somewhat sour, bing cherry. I like the dry style. Taste is very pungent. Unlike the head this lambic is lacking overall carbonation. A bit thin in the mouth yet very drinkable.

05-21-2006 19:22:23 | More by mcallister
ndekke39

4.18/5  rDev +22.2%

Tried the Kriek at The Albany pub in London; came recommended by a bartender.

A: Slightly cloudy, bright red. Looked almost like fizzy Kool-Aid at first. Served in a brandy snifter, quite cold. Medium redish-white head on it when poured.

S: Strong, sweet cherry scent (go figure), though not overpowering.

T: Again, the strong cherry flavors. Dominating, but again not overpowering. Almost couldn't taste the alcohol over the cherry, except in the finish.

M: Almost too fizzy at first. Very tangy on the tongue to begin, but grew smoother after a few sips.

D: At a nice, cool temperature, perfect for sipping. It complemented the warm summer evening quite well. With the strong cherry flavor and initial tang, it's not one you want to rush, but overall it's very pleasurable, especially in the brandy snifter.

05-17-2006 17:18:46 | More by ndekke39
Orrshow

Alberta (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Got this one on tap at the Globe Tap house in Edmonton. Surprised to find it here.

Appearance – Poured a deep ruby red with close to no head. However, small amounts of white lacing were left of the glass.

Smell – The aroma was heavy of cherries and sugar. It reminded me of red wine in a way as well.

Taste – All cherries and quite sweet. The red wine like taste is there as well followed by a tartness. Finishes dry. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel – Very thin with a scratchy feeling from the carbonation. Also leaves a sugary coating on the mouth.

Drinkability – All in all good. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; sweet beers don’t quite do it for me but Belle Vue Kriek was definitely a worthwhile experience.

03-30-2006 03:38:32 | More by Orrshow
jamie2dope

This has been a beer that I've had a few time since my stay in Melbourne and has been better every time I've tried it. Poured from a nice corked green bottle into what looked like a brandy glass. Ruby color looked very nice when brought up against the light with a nice white head accenting the overall look quite nicely. Fruit smells dominating, specifically cherries and rasberries...almost a spritzer quality. Taste was very tart, giving a champaigne taste accompanied by the fruit characters. It was also a sharp tasting beer that needed a bit of warming before some other flavors, the most dominant being strawberry pulled through. Mouthfeel was light/medium bodied, with fairely high carbonation. This is a winner in my book, but you really need to like tart fruit to really enjoy this one. I was surprised by how much I liked this brew considering any cherry flavored anything usually turns me off. Give it a try.

03-28-2006 09:28:38 | More by jamie2dope
jayc333

1.83/5  rDev -46.5%

Pours a dark ruby red with a lace of bubbly off-white head. A few bubbles rise to the top rapidly.

Cherries? Not in the smell. Sour grapes with a dank character. Not too pleasant at all.

Nasty metallic taste upfront. Getting past that, sour grapes are still present. Reminds me a lot like one of those gross "just add water" wines.

Fizzy in the mouth. Not unlike carbonated water.

I must have gotten a bad bottle. There is no excuse for this stuff. I want my $3.25 back.

03-24-2006 01:11:46 | More by jayc333
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +18.4%

Aromas include cherry, semi-spice, and children's medicine. The flavors-- wow, quite easy for a Fruit Lambic. It's not overly tart nor sweet-- there is some mild acidity near the finish. Simple but nice! This beer drinks oh so easily, I think I'd like another! Now where to find one...

03-20-2006 03:43:46 | More by VoodooBrew
TurdFurgison

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

The executive bar at a hotel I stayed at in Belgium had this in 25cl bottles. I tried a few for the novelty of it (the other beers they stocked included Duvel, Leffe, Stella, and other beers easily found back home).

Poured into incorrect glassware (Duvel) for the one and only time while I was in Belgium. Tasted like cherry champagne, kind of thin, tart, and dry. It wasn't quite as sweet as the Lindeman's I've had in the past. Maybe less syrup in this one...

Not my favorite style of beer at all, but easy to drink. This is a gateway beer to offer the women in your life. Unless the women in your life are like my wife, who has been known to complain of "watery consistency" in strong imperial stouts.

03-19-2006 17:31:25 | More by TurdFurgison
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a fairly dark red/pink with a fairly large pink-tinged head that is thick, slow to dissipate and leaves substantial lacing. Smell is less interesting, with some yeasty funk and a metallic note accompanying the sweetness that dominates the nose. Taste is slightly tart, but not as much as I'd hoped for, and is mostly just sweetness with a hint of cherry and a dry lambic-y finish. Mouthfeel is syrupy, quite thick and not very carbonated, and drinkability is pretty average. This is a bit too candy-sweet and not complex enough to be a really good lambic, but it's not bad.

03-04-2006 01:35:35 | More by Mandrake
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

375ml Corked green bottle, poured into a snifter. Nice looking presentation.

Very nice dark, nearly opaque, ruby colour. Pours with a substantial head, and leaves nice lacing when that dissipates. Nose isn't too offensive. The cherry odours are very evident, possibly a bit too sweet and cloying for my taste, and underneath the cherries is an unmistakable yeastiness.

Taste is very much of sour cherries and sweet malt. A bit puckering. Overall I find the taste a bit too sweet and candylike for me. I'm too much of a fan of hops I suppose. Mouthfeel is of sparkling wine or champagne, very fizzy. Dances on the tongue, think in the mouth and dry going down. I'd have a hard time doing more than one of these in a session, but again, this just may not be my style of beer.

01-20-2006 04:41:08 | More by trevorwideman
funkengruven

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

This poured to a ruby red fizzy head that reduced quickly with some lacing. Smells sweet, with a slight sourness of cherries, as it should. Taste is dry, almost like a champagne, not too sweet as to still resemble beer. Mouthfeel is fizzy, like a soda, and very mild. Overall this is very easy to drink and goes down with little effort. A decent example of this style.

12-19-2005 02:47:09 | More by funkengruven
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

375ml bottle, corked, poured into a kostrizer glass

Pours with a deep red, pinky body. Creamy pink head with pretty fair retention

Smell, some fromage frait, little bit of yeast on the nose. Mixed berry and fruit, some almondy cherriness

Taste, smooth creaminess, reminds me almost of yogurt. Slight cherry tartness, fruits of the forest

Overall a solid fruit beer, nothing world changing though. If you're looking for an intro to fruit beers try liefmans kriek, if you want something with a bit more rawness try cantillon

10-29-2005 21:17:27 | More by cypressbob
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +21.3%

A: Deep red, tall fluffy head, plenty of lacing.

S: Mmmm... cherry!

T: Very well balanced. Initially sweet, finishing with a slightly tart aftertaste.

M: Moderate body and carbonation.

D: Not your average beer, but as fruit lambics go, it's very drinkable.

10-15-2005 02:38:45 | More by Derek
joecast

Australia

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

enjoyed on-tap at the belgian cafe in melbourne.

looks absolutely fantastic in a belle vue tulip. bright red with little carbonation. poured with a 2cm pink head. ha, its pink! leaves nice lacing down the glass, and the head retention was very good.

left to warm a bit, the aroma came around slowly. pronounced cherry aroma with slight hints of tartness. leaning more towards sweetness than anything else.

being a lambic, i was really looking forward to some sourness to see weather or not i would go for it. this version lacked a bit of sharpness, or it was just replaced with the sweetness from the cherries. the sweetness, while not cloying or unpleasent, made it difficult for anything else to be noticed.

for myself, its tough to call this beer. its just has very little of what i associate with the aromas and flavors of beer that i am used to. obviously by my scoring, thats not a bad thing. the glass i had went very quickly and easily. i was finding it tought to keep from gulping this down.

09-29-2005 09:42:14 | More by joecast