Belle Vue Gueuze - Brasserie Belle-Vue

to view more.
Ratings: 92 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by Paddez:
3.18/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: A big fluffy head sitting on top of a golden body. The head doesn't last for long though and the lacing is minimal.

Smell: The aroma is grainy, fruity with some strange earthiness. (yeast?) Sour and sweet at the same time. Quite lame, and not very intresting.

Taste: Starts with unusual sweet grainy, fruity flavours. Some "lambicy" tastes, slightly tart, but not tart enough. Some hoppy pilsner bitterness and some skunky woody flavours near the end.

Mouthfeel & Drinkabililty: Slightly syrupy mouthfeel, good carbonation. The drinkability is okay in my opnion; the beer's blendness makes it easy to 'knock back' if you're thirsty.

Conclusion: As an alternative to a lager, this is certainly not too bad. It tastes a little more intresting than your average pint, it is thirst-quenching and relatively drinkable. As a Geueze though, it is very poor. Way too sweet and timid for a proper one.

Meh.

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

Nose: fruity, earthy, funky, barnyard, a hint of compost, sweet.
Brilliant garnet with 1/2" very fine bone white foam.
A little more malt on the palate than many Gueuzes and this is not as mouth puckeringly sour, a touch sweet, fruity. Not as challenging on the palate as some Gueuzes.
Very effervescent, medium tartness, medium body.

2.03/5  rDev -36.2%

Clear gold appearance, little lasting head. Very sweet aroma and on the palate, in fact you could say overly so. Just way too one dimentionally sweet, an easily available gueuze in Belgium, but not one for us beer geeks.

3.32/5  rDev +4.4%

After really liking another gueuze, I gave this one a shot. Not bad per se, just not the same pleasant experience. Decent appearance, with slightly thicker head than it's brethren. Smells of citrus as expected, with a slight paper mill scent thing going on I'm not sure if I quite dig. The flavor was slightly better than I expected, with slight sweetness and citrus, but a bit too much thickness and rotten fruit. The drink was quick and for a second I thought of ordering another just because it went down so good. Overall a decent gueuze, but not a competitor for my wallet in Belgium with so many other finer examples. Restaurant beer.

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Had a bottle at my hotel in Ghent. i found this to be a little similar to Lindeman's Faro in how sweet it was. There's a lot of sugar added by the taste, but there's still a tasty sour - nothing puckering, but pleasant. I'd call this a gueze for beginners.

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Dark gold body with a fluffy white head. The head did give way to islands of foam in the beer. Aroma was souring musty and damp but a hint of something sweet was mixed in also cork was present. Taste was a brief second of sweetness and then a tart sour flavor came in. The flavor is different yet interesting in its own sort-of-way. Smooth and bitter in the mouth, but hard to drink. This is an interesting style of beer. Overall I couldn’t handle too many of this style of beer. Maybe it was this bottle or style but one or the other is not for me.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Let me start by saying that I am new to the Lambic/Gueuze world, and so I don't have a lot to compare this to. I bought a bottle of this on my first trip to Belgium last fall and brought it home because I saw a group of locals drinking it at a cafe on the Waterloo battlefield (just south of Brussels) and so I assumed they would know what was good. My thoughts on this one may change as I learn more, but overall I wasn't that impressed.

33cl bottle caged and corked. Opened with a nice gunshot & gunsmoke. Pours a deep golden-yellow with some brown (from yeast?), generally lighter than the Mort Subite (my main point of comparison). I couldn't see any yeast in the bottle, so I'm not sure if the coloration was caused by it or not. Fairly clear, with a small (1/2" head) and a steady but light carbonation. Aroma holds the sour of lambics and a slight mustiness/earthiness. Flavor slightly sour and slightly earthy, with a distinctively sweeter, grape/pear/apricot flavor profile that really describes this better than the sourness. Mouthfeel is relatively rich and creamy, which makes this more easily drinkable.

This was an ok beer, and in comparison to Mort Subite, I really prefer the latter (even though it took me a while to appreciate it). But as I understand the style, this was too sweet for what it is supposed to be.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Lambic is a style that I’ve had to try many times and in many varieties before I realized and attained a true appreciation of their unique qualities.

The color a dark yellow or amber with a modest and semi-creamy head, the color off white with a filmy sheet of lace to seal off the glass. The aroma of ripe fruit like pears and apples with a citrus like semi-sweetness makes up the nose, start has a mild semi-tartness leading to a light to medium top. The finish is austere in its acidity with a pleasantly dry and spicy aftertaste, a decent Lambic, but there are many better.

2.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Acidity in the nose but not transcendent because there also collects cardboard odors. The taste is slightly sweet, which is a good point in relation to commercial gueuzes often sickening glucose. However, it lacks relief, tannins and acidity are nonexistent unfortunately unconvincing. Only the finish is slightly tart but far from it to crown a great lambic.

3.77/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours brownish-orange, with raisin and brown sugar on the nose along with some sourness. The palate shows gentle fruit, malt, and semi-spicy flavors. It's good, but there's just not too much going on here. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light, and for that matter so is the drinkability. It's suspiciously easy-- maybe even not challenging enough for a Gueuze. Now isn't that a masochistic thing to say?

Poured from bottle. Sweeter than most gueuzes. Only mildly tart. Faint maltiness. Overall enjoyable.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Colour is copper-like, combined with a white, foamy head. Taste and smell reminds me of an old geuze, which has been sweetened, but not as much as a faro though. There's also not much in the aftertaste. Good alternative for a regular pilsner, but nothing more.

3.55/5  rDev +11.6%

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. xmarcnolanx contributed this one. thanks marc!

375ml corked bottle. vintage 1979.

pours hazy light brown. no sign of head or lace.

aroma is good. slightly sweet fruit. sherry. whole wheat bread and cracker. grain. leather. bit of cardboard. malt vinegar coming through a bit more in the finish.

taste is nice. sweet! brown sugar. caramel. saccarin. leather. earthy and woody. salty mineral character. whole wheat bread and cracker. low alcohol. bit of sourness. low acidity.

mouthfeel is nice. medium body. low carbonation level.

drinkability is okay. this one is just too sweet for me, and feels muddy overall. seems like it needs something - more bitterness, or funk, or acidity - to balance out the sweetness.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a crystal clear reddish brown color, with almost no head besides a collar of white bubbles. Smells tart and fruity, slightly earhty, slightly of raisins. Since this is my first gueuze, i really don't have a frame of reference for the style. Taste is sweet and tart, lots of honey and fruit flavors, with a smooth woody flavor that seems to finish out this beer's flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty much flat, but interesting. An ethereal smoothness pervades this beer, making it stand apart, not saying better or worse, but different from every style and beer that I have sampled.

3.67/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a cantillon glass. Smells a bit basic, with some low profile Brett and mustiness. The taste is obviously sweetened, which means this is probably pasteurized. Of the dumbed down gueuze I have tried, this isn't the worst by a long shot, however it is a far cry from the real stuff. I can appreciate what this is though, and if I think of it as a new style as opposed to the real thing it is is actually pretty good, and very drinkable. Interestingly, my wife loves it, and she doesn't like much else in the beer world. Very cheap in Belgium, and worth a try. At least it isn't trying to look traditional wi th a cork and all that.

4.03/5  rDev +26.7%

Clear dark amber color; good lasting head that provides very little lace.

The aroma is quite mild for the style

Fresh tasting without any of the sourness that I've come to expect from this style. The carbonation is very high while the body is spot on.

This is a gentle lambic--one that would be a good introduction to the style.

3.76/5  rDev +18.2%

"Gueuze Belle Vue". Bottle served into a Belle Vue glass at the Celtic Pub in Bruges. Reviewed from notes taken July 2010.

A: Pours a one finger head of soft thick wonderful cream and great retention. Body colour is a dark gold.

Sm: Sourness, minimal hopping, bacteria. A mild strength but intriguing aroma.

T: Sourness, but not overly so; it's well balanced alongside the full-bodied simple barley foundation. A bit simplistic for the style, but delicious. Great sour bacterial finish. Some yeast notes. Well built and balanced all around.

Mf: smooth and wet, complementing the flavours of the body. Carbonation and thickness are good.

Dr: Very drinkable for a sour, and of high quality. Well priced even at a bar (at least here in Bruges). I'd have it again.

B+

3.2/5  rDev +0.6%

I have no idea how old the bottles I have might be. I purchased them from a beer distributor in Philadelphia, and they appeared to be sitting around for a while. I have had about 10 of them already, and they were not entirely consistant. Overall, there is little to no head to be seen. Based on last night's tasting: The color is rather dark amber and it is cloudy, as it should be. The yeast smell is present, but not nearly to the degree of a beer like a Cantillon gueuze. There is almost a sweet-tart quality to it. I feel like it is a bit thin. The sweetness almost makes me think there are cherries in it. To explain why I still rated it as a 4 for drinkability is because it really is an easy drinking beer, which, if you forget about the fact that it is a gueuze and let it stand on its own for just taste, it can be rather nice. I found it to be refreshing, especially in the summer.

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Not the prettiest beer to look at. Hazy golden color with little to no head. What little head there was dissipated very quickly. When I drink my lambics, I want them to be tart. This was slightly, but finished with a slight sweetness. Basically just an average beer. I was excited about trying this beer too. I'm a huge fan of lambics, but this isn't the best one out there.

3.18/5  rDev 0%

37,5 cl. bottle. Poured in a Belle Vue flute glass, deep golden orange colour, correct head that fades but leaving always a thin cloak on the surface. Aroma of acid apples, oranges, some barnyard, not as sour as usual. Taste is of acid apples, wood, apricots, some sourness but not as much as other gueuzes. Probably good for lambics beginners, but not the best example.

1.88/5  rDev -40.9%

Best by: Aug 25/2011
Brussels Trip

A: Pours golden near copper. Huge amounts of visible bubbles rise from the bottom making the beer difficult to see thru. Otherwise appears excellent in clarity. Single finger of loosely packed bubbles fall to broken sheet.

S: Smells woody, sweet, oxidized and with hints of metals. Not good for the style IMO.

T: Very sweet, not really tart at all, quite a let down. Candy sugar with hints of lemon. Pretty simple and the finish is metallic.

M: Medium to thin with low carbonation despite the appearance. Slippery example.

O: Drain pour.

2.66/5  rDev -16.4%

Presentation: 33cl Bottle, cork and caged per the BA Database Avatar.

Appearance: Dark golden amber body with a hint cold Tea. The head effervesces at first but soon disappears to reveal a thin broken covering with some minimal lacing on the side of my aged Gueuze Belle-Vue glass from the original old Brewery. Seems to be a partially aged example as the carbonation is reduced from what I have experienced in the past and the suspended yeast particles look tired.

Nose: Sweetish aromas mixed in a slightly sour background. Mushed soft fruits in the back end, extremely bland. Rather a limp nose for a Gueuze.

Taste: Starts with a sugar soaked malty grain feel, which builds into a mildly tart center. Hints of sourness with a light smidgeon of lambicness in the back end. This is very tame indeed. The yeast actually adds a little more to this than is probably intended.

Mouthfeel: Sugary feel, sour yet sticky at times. The suspended yeasts add a toweling feel to the tongue.

Drinkability: I am ashamed to admit that I dumped the last part of this bottle, an act that means I was defeated, which rarely happens with even the worst beers that I have had. Not impressed at all.

Overall: I will state that this is my second bottle since I came to the US. The one I bought a year ago, was completely “off”, a term I thought I could never apply to a Gueuze. It looked like yeast infested cold Tea and tasted worse. I note that I was not the only one to get one of these but refrained from adding a Review for it. This was not that far behind it, but there is no way I am going to invest in a third. So until I get a "fresher" sample, this Review stands, and after two bottles, this Review now has pedigree as it is not exactly a ‘one-off’ bad sample that I seemed to have had.

Bland, timid, lame, mild and most definitely not worth the $3.99 I paid for it!

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from the 25cL bottle into a int glass.

A: Brown with a cola appearance when held to light. Head was almost nonexistent - a half finger clinging for life.

S: Very fruity with hints of berry coming in and out of an apricot base. Some bready malt in there, making a sort of tart apple pie character.

T: Peach cobbler is the base. Apple and cinnamon come in and out, but some brown sugar also. Finishes again with a very peachy character.

Very fruity, but also a good introduction to the world of sours. Seems to be pretty popular with the younger locals as well...

2.96/5  rDev -6.9%

brought back from belgium by a friend.
Pale golden honey color witha huge white rocky head. tart vinious aroma has a acidic fruitness to it, citric acid? thicker mouthfeel than I was expecting almost sweet. deinetly not as sour tasting as the aroma leeds you to believe. almost no aftertaste at all. drinkable yes but i think this is a far cry from a tradtional gueuze. maybe a good introduction for people not familiar with belgian lamics.

3.46/5  rDev +8.8%

Color beautiful, tea, clear, "tasty".
A large head with big eyes in off-white.
The aroma of wine, acetic acid, fruit. With fruit is dominated by red currants, gooseberries young, somewhere in the background peach. It is acid.
The first sip and ... is not sooooo sourly. At the beginning of cherries with their acidity, then raspberries with its sweetness and finally gently young gooseberry tart and grassy. The beer is very good balanced, not sour, not reject, great. Summing up Gueuze of Belle-Vue is a very delicate, "soft", drinkable, he lacks the clutch (not very sour) and accents villages that are so characteristic of these wines, but it is very, very good. For those who have never tried to start Gueuze perfect.

to view more.