Piton Lager Beer - Windward & Leeward Brewery Ltd.

Piton Lager BeerPiton Lager Beer

poor

Windward & Leeward Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Saint Lucia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Piton Lager Beer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 77 | Reviews: 37
4.94/5  rDev +68%

Let's be honest, you're drinking this if you are on vacation and if you're lucky to be doing that in St. Lucia - they you deserve crates of this. It's cheap, refreshing, and can throw back a dozen before you realize you have. But hey! It doesn't matter. You're drinking this in St Lucia.

Yellow gold color. Clean. Smooth. Best (like any beer) when it is served Ice Cold!
Good at 8am, at 12pm, and at 6pm, at 2am, and at 8am again.

The guys at the brewery are proud of their work and they work hard at what they do - which is nice to see considering it's a small island.

Side note: they also brew one with Lemon "Piton Lemon" (2.5% content). Be a man and just stick with the original.

3.37/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A solid caribbean beer that is more about where you are drinking it than the quality of the beer.

3.27/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The beer of St. Lucia.

A- Deep yellow gold with thin, white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks better than most other mass Lagers, including corona or red stripe.

S-Richer more lemony than most macro lagers. Grain, lemon, bright hops, happy beer smell, pretty clean and inviting.

T-Much better than Corona, Red Stripe or Budweiser. Bright, lemony, cleaner fuller flavor.

M-Decent mid-light body, good mouth feel, finishes dry and clean. Great for summer, great for hot day, great first beer of evening, and especially great for making black and tans with The FOREIGN EXPORT GUINNESS from same brewer. They re better together.

O - Super happy with this island beer all week, glad I bought a six.

Two small bottles kindly brought back from St Lucia by a mate, poured into a CAMARA pint glass. Pours a pale yellow colour with next to no head. Quite slim on the aromas, what I can smell is of malt & corn I think. Tastes of sweet lemon & malt, but no hops.
Having tasted a few beers from the Caribbean now I wasn't expecting much from this beer, it's proved to be very average.

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The best thing about this brew should be pretty obvious - you are probably going to be drinking it in the shadow of the Pitons (I was). St. Lucia is a drop dead gorgeous place that I think I could fall in love with. The people are nice without being overly so.

The beer, on the other hand, is not great. It looks, smells and tastes like a medium grade American crappy lager. There isn't anything distinguished about the brew.

It is well made with no major flaws, but it is uninteresting. It is nice to have one for refreshment while enjoying the amazing beauty of this island. I bought a Piton Beer t-shirt!

3.65/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first of three beers brought back to me from the Caribbean.

Pours a very clear gold. No head. Nose is malty sweet. Flavor is much of the same. Smooth and consistent and I don't really get any aftertaste or wavering from the way things start off. The body is much thicker than I would have expected. A nice drinking beer and more interesting than I was anticipating.

2.52/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

10 oz bottle

Pours light clear golden with dissipating white suds.

Coppery malt aroma with sugar adjunct and a light pilsner hoppiness.

Light sugary malt flavor with a mild hoppy bite.

Thin body with a sting of carbonation on the tip of the tongue.

An average lighter lager, nothing special. Have it because its cheap and cold. Otherwise, probably the least interesting of the Caribbean beers I have tried.

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A- Deep golden colored body, virtually no head, just some clear fizzy bubbles on top.

S- Bready yeast that smells slightly sour, some sweet honey-like aroma as well.

T- Really lot a whole lot going on, really like any pale light lager.

M- Slightly fizzy, very light bodied, but drinkable.

O- It's an island beer and serviceable for drinking on a beach, but nothing great.

3.12/5  rDev +6.1%

275 ml. pry off bottle poured into a glass mug. Shows a golden straw, clear with a thin cap which offers average retention and lace for the style.

Nose is grainy of pale malts and perhaps a light corn adjunct. Hops are light and Noble in character but certainly present to a degree.

Decent flavor, light and neutral perhaps but pleasant. Not quite as interesting as Banks Lager but a decent drink on St. Lucia.

2.97/5  rDev +1%

I compare this to your average american macro lager - in that, I rate it above several of the big macros. So here we go...

Poured from a small aluminum can. Quite clear - very light yellow. Decent head is white. Very white - whipped egg white, white. Decent nose for style - simple malt and creamed corn. Yes - I'm getting a can of creamed corn.

Decent malt sweetness upfront, a hint of hops add balance. Easy to drink - I consider the beach where this should be consumed - would probably be okay.

Simple, no particular flaws, I wish AB and M/C would deleiver this gentle balance. Not bad for a corn sugar based lager. Reminds me of Genny.

2.34/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a clear extremely pale straw color with a soapy pure white head that quickly dissipated into nothingness. No cap, no ring, no lacing, nada. Some carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

The aroma is of grain and sulfur. There is a good amount of sweetness from the malt. A subtle amount of grassy notes from the hops. Smell is similar to a Heineken.

The taste is sweet. A good amount of grain and cooked veggie flavor. Almost has a fruity sweetness. There are some sulfur and grassy flavors to offset the sweet malt. The flavors are fairly non-offensive and the beer wasn't ice cold.

The feel is light but not watery. Tingly carbonation, almost spritzy. Finishes very clean and crisp.

Not terrible. I drank it cold but not ice cold and the flavors weren't ghastly. Typical lager for the region, better than Carib IMO.

2.04/5  rDev -30.6%

Served in a Sam Adams sensory pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 (and his awesome girlfriend) for sharing this bottle!

Our mini Caribbean tour comes to a close on the small island of St. Lucia. The beer therefrom pours a clear very pale straw topped by a finger of rather short-lived white foam. The nose comprises corn, hard water, and straight iron. The taste works a bit harder, with notes of grass, wheat, and rocks (honestly: rocks) joining those elements already established in the smell. I don't know how, but the rocks helped. The body is quite light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, another sad adjunct lager from the Caribbean. Come on, guys, let's get something better from your neck o' the woods, eh?

2.54/5  rDev -13.6%

Served in a snifter...it's what glass I was going with for the night.

My girlfriend brought me a beer from St. Lucia, holy crap was I surprised that they made beer on that tiny island.

This beer pours a real pale straw color, I've had urinations after chugging lots of water that have been darker than this. The smell is the typical AAL aroma. There is husky barley, lots of corn syrup and some dried rice cakes mixed in. The taste wasn't all that bad, but honestly it wasn't really all that pleasant to swallow either. It was very much a cerveza. I felt that a lime wedge could only help this beer, then again me sitting on the beach in a Caribbean island would help its taste too. The mouthfeel was as watery as it could get. Overall this beer wasn't all that good, but I didn't hate it and I could have swallowed it on the beach if provided to me.

3.07/5  rDev +4.4%

When in St Lucia drink the local. One finger head of pure white foam, settling down with little lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell of corn and veggies, and some citrus. Taste was a mild flavor of corn, wheat, and a faint taste of malt. Mouthfeel was better than water, on par with most beers of this type. Won't look to buy any in the states, but when back on St Lucia, I will enjoy drinking it and watching the waves crash into the sandy beach.

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Imbibed in St. Lucia.

A-Deeper yellow color with a white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks better than other Lagers.

S-A richer version of most macros that dominate the market. Corn, skunkiness, grains, etc.

T-A better version of a Budweiser in my opinion. A bit fuller flavor. Overall, not too bad. Would take it over a Bud, Miller, Coors on most occasions.

M-A bit heavier than other adjunct lagers. Well carbonated.

O/D-For what it is, tastes pretty good. Not too much to talk about, another review in the books.

2.94/5  rDev 0%

Clear 275ml bottle, best before the end of Dec 2011, obtained by my parents on a resent Caribean Criuse. Poured into my 'La Chouffe' stemmed tulip glass.

Looked the part, a true/typical lager/pilsner, golden, bright, clean and clear, on top a good head of white foam.

The smell was of cheap lager, reminded me of Caribean holidays of the past. Wet cardboard and citrus fruits came to mind also.

The taste was mildly citrus, not unpleasant, but not what I want from an exotic island brewery. Might have been the greatest thing on earth if I'd been sat in the sun surrounded by sand, sea and bikini's. Sadly I was in Shropshire and it was dark and cold outside.

Not a huge body mass, but enough to carry the flavours within.

Not a UK winters brew, but OK in the correct enviroment I should imagine.

2.37/5  rDev -19.4%

Got this while I was honeymooning in St. Lucia.

A: Pours a relatively clear, straw yellow body with a small, white head with decent retention and even some lacing until the finish.

S: An interesting blend of some barley and adjuncts. A strong corn and rice smell some through. A slight earthiness is evident, reminding me a bit of how Heineken smells, but with some sweeter notes.

T: Not much of a taste to this one. Slight bread and rice notes are evident, but are more evident in the aftertaste. Seems like the beer is watered down a little bit.

M: A light and surprisingly refreshing mouthfeel despite the fairly bland and bready tasting beer. A decent mouthfeel for the hot, humid climate that is typical of the region.

D: A mouthfeel and taste that, I guess, is built for the region. Fairly depressing what they have done with this beer or haven't really expanded too far with the beer styles, especially since they are a good source of pure cinnamon, nutmeg, mint, and other spices and oils. I guess if I ever go back to St. Lucia, I'd have to give their Shandy a go; that's something I would hope would be made of ingredients from the island itself.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Darker in appearance than a Bud light, slightly brighter than a Bud Heavy. Heavily Carbonated with a slight white lacing at the edges

S: Mostly of corn and some bready yeast. Also a very light malt presence and only the faintest whiff of hops

T: Taste of a light lager made of adjuncts. I was not expecting a heavily hopped beer and it was easily drinkable though not overly flavorful or extremely crisp or clean tasting.

M: Heavily carbonated and slightly more flavorful than some other american adjunct lagers. I would compare it most closely to Busch although there is less of a skunked flavor profile in Piton.

D: I had a number of these on my honeymoon, but would probably not seek it out if I was able to purchase it in the states. Easy drinker and goes well with a Margarita mixture floating on the top of it AKA: Iceberg

I would have to say on tap it tasted very similar only there was more head. I would be though that this had to do with the amount of kegs that went through the location I was being served at daily.

3.42/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Had in Castries, St. Lucia at a little bar near the port.

Came in a clear bottle, golen color like a miller lite or the like. Smelled about the same.

The taste was similar to a Dos Equis. There were mild hints of citrus (lemon) and some olive.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated and very light. This is a refreshing and drinkable brew and I could easily enjoy slugging a six pack of it while on the beach. Overall one of the better lagers you find in the Eastern Caribbean.

2.82/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Fizzy yellow beer, with no head retention and minimal lacing.

S - Corn and adjuncts with some faint hints of citrus hops.

T - Cooked corn, sweet adjuncts with minimal hops in the finish.

M - Light body, medium to high carbonation, but less than that of other American adjunct lagers. Slightly sticky through the finish.

D - A slight step above most American counterparts, but still nothing great. Maybe drinking this in such a beautiful tropical location helps being able to drink this all day. The bottle version has been noticeably more crisp and refreshing than any tap I've had it on, and makes for a much better drinkability.

4.26/5  rDev +44.9%

awww things rembered,,had this beer quite often while on my honeymoon with the wife,,this is the local beer and on a hot st lucian day this was a good refreshing beer,,it was lighter then most beer but then a heay beer would not be a good thing in the setting,,the drinkablitly was amazing and the teaste was very refreshing,,im no beer teasting expert bu any means but damn i did enjoy this beer alot,,after a hot day in the sun or jut relazing at night,,this was the perfect beer,,,,IF EVER IN ST LUICA,,YOU HAVE TO TRY IT,,,,

3.06/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to my parents for bringing this one back from their cruise.

Poured from a 275ml. bottle, best before 11/10.

Appearance: Zillions of tiny bubbles appear in a light gold body and under a 3 finger snow white head. The color looks a little like ginger ale.

Smell: Corn, cereal and a bit of lemon. No sign of being lightstruck thankfully despite it being in a clear bottle.

Taste: Lemon rind with some faint corn and a slight grainy feel. A touch of tartness actually makes the taste surprisingly tolerable.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and prickly. Smooth with a mild bitterness. It is a bit watery but i'm surprised that it has some support to it.

Drinkability: Better than most for the style. Quenches your thirst though the lack of depth in the flavor makes this a one-note affair.

Overall: I think i enjoyed this more than i would have thought because it seems to be fresh, maybe only 2 months old. For the style, it's perfectly acceptable and better than Corona and its ilk.

2.82/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to my parents for bringing this back from a recent trip to St. Lucia. The can says best before January 2010, so I figure this is the appropriate time to consume this one. Served in a pint glass.

A - Pours with a voluminous soapy white foam that dissipates moderately quickly and leaves a good amount of sticky lacing. The body is a transparent golden orange color that's a tad darker than most adjunct lagers, and features a plethora of bubbles adhering to all parts of the glass. It's actually a pretty decent looking beer, other than the mediocre retention.

S - Things go downhill from here - it's a mix of metallic notes, sweetcorn, sharp grain, and a touch of caramel malt. Not the worst thing I've tried, but definitely not so good either.

T - Taste is actually a little better, as it's more subtle and understated. Light corn and caramel sweetness with a touch of banana, and only a little of the dreaded "beer breath" aftertaste. I've had a lot worse - this is actually consumable.

M - Surprisingly restrained carbonation for a macro - fairly pleasant, maybe a tad syrupy, but a solid medium body that's pretty soft. Quite the surprise!

D - I killed the 25cl can in under five minutes. If I was stuck in St. Lucia I wouldn't be forced to slit my wrists. Seriously, this is one of the better adjunct mass-produced lagers I've had.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Bottled in 2007.

Purchased in St. Lucia @ a beach bar.

I traveled to St. Lucia with Heather (my wife) back in 2007 and this is what they had for local beer. Honestly I'm surprised it's even recognized on BA. Which goes to show how far reaching BA is in advocating beer. Between this and "nice weathers" (a liquor concoction) this is what I lived on for a week.

Appearance: Served in a bottle. Pours golden yellow like Piss, what you'd expect from a light beer. No head or lacing on the bottle to note.

Smell: As Bill Belicheck would say "it is what is" Nothing to note.

Taste: Has a typical grocery store lager taste. Some say it's sweet, I couldn't tell.

Mouthfeel: Light and not much else.

Drinkability: On the Island, I'll drink it all day with what's offered.

Keep in mind the weather here is pretty hot and humid, so big beers are not thought of. When I came home I was ready for real beer. I did buy a shirt though, "save water and drink beer" I thought that was cool.

3.09/5  rDev +5.1%

This is the "native" beer of St. Lucia and basically all you can get on the island, except for Guinness Export Stout and Heineken, both of which are brewed on the island.

A: Fizzy yellow beer. Head is even smaller than your typical macro, falls very quickly, retains poorly, and leaves zero lacing.

S: Corn maltiness, sweet, some skunkiness. Not much else. It's not offensive like most adjuncts, but there's not a lot to set it apart, either.

T&M: Clean malt flavor, a very light hoppiness that balances things out. No offensive, skunky, or excessive adjunct flavors. It's actually relatively well balanced. Body is very light and the carbonation is fairly aggressive--both on par for the style.

D: Goes down quite nicely on a Caribbean beach.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Piton Lager Beer from Windward & Leeward Brewery Ltd.