Guinness Foreign Extra (St. Lucia Version) - Windward & Leeward Brewery Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra (St. Lucia Version)Guinness Foreign Extra (St. Lucia Version)

good

Windward & Leeward Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Saint Lucia

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 01-15-2010)
Reviews by GodOfBeer:
3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a dark brown, may as well be black to my eyes, with a thick brown head, lots of lacing.

Smells toffee, chocolate, coffee, nothing special.

Tastes of caramel, roasty malts upfront, coffee, chocolate with a nice strong bitterness to finish it off.

Very thick, frothy mouthfeel and very drinkable, especially on a hot day at the beach!

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours black with a thin tan head. no real lacing.

S: dark chocolate aroma coupled with burnt malts. sweet.

T: Dark Roasted grains. Burnt. bitter chocolate. sour twang. Sweet finish.

MF: pretty hefty body but with a smooth ride down. low carbonation.

D: hides it's abv pretty well but still has a slight warming effect.
A little too sweet for my liking.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Just got back from a cruise to the eastern Caribbean and saw the Foreign Extra on nearly every island we stopped on.

My bottle was bought on St. Kitts at a small stand near a beach, so no glass was available to pour this into.

Smelled like any other good stout: very roasted, malty, and slightly sweet.

Tasted of chocolate malt, very well roasted/burnt flavor, mixed with plenty of hops. The alcohol content is high and you do notice it, but it's not overpowering.

Mouthfeel was dry and sticky. I found this to be very drinkable despite the 88 degree tropical weather. Very good brew, I think I enjoy this more than the Extra Stout available back in the states.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

I first saw this in Jamaica but didn't get a chance to try it until I was back home in the States. I enjoy the Foreign Extra a bit more than the standard Guinness stout. It has a higher alcohol content than the regular stout (at 7.5%) and a bit more flavor comes along with that too.

There is a smell of dried porcini mushrooms while sipping. At least that's what I smell. I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten any porcini mushrooms lately so it must be coming from the beer.

Either that or my wife was using this glass to rehydrate some dried porcini mushrooms. I'll have to get back to you on that.

(I've been advised that the beer I'm reviewing should be this one: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/752 . I'm confused.)

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Pours to an opaque, pitch-black, with a big tan head that lasts quite a while. Nice, sticky lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of roasted malts and chocolate, some espresso and dark fruit as well.

Taste: Roasted malt and chocolate up front, with an interestingly sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Heavy with very low carbonation.

Drinkability: The weird sour taste in the finish threw me off at first, yet by the end of the glass I became quite fond of it. I could drink a few more.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

I poured this Guinness into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black and bore out a big tan head. The beer smells like a Guinness as it should. The taste was big molasses but the brew had a bit of a dry finish. I like the beer and will buy again.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Contract brewed Guiness Extra for St. Lucia! Thanks to the parents for bringing this back from a recent trip. Best before January 2010. Apparently the whole bottle contains 180 calories - wish we had this info in the US. Served in my FoBAB taster pint glass.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam that dissipates to a thick ring and some haze. Dark brown body that reveals some ruby and light brown highlights. Looks like an export stout to me!

S - This smells like roasty Guinness export blended with a bit of corny adjunct. The label says "contains barley", but doesn't specify if there are any other grains. As it warms more roast coffee and chocolate comes out. There's also some notes of anise as well. It's not bad, but pales compared to the John Martin version.

T - The taste is a step down, with more adjunct flavors of corn peaking through. There's some dry roast and a touch of cocoa in the periphery, but it's just not all that good. Aftertaste is a little weird too.

M - The texture is actually pretty decent - mild carbonation tingle, medium body that's quite smooth, and a light sticky finish.

D - The 275ml bottle isn't tough to finish, and the alcohol is reasonably well-hidden. It's not very good, but it's not overly offensive either. Like I said, I could actually survive in St. Lucia on the local macros if I had to.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

A very good beer!

Poured a dark chocolate color with a nice 2 finger light brown head.

You can really pick out the hops from the chocolate malts in both the smell and taste. Nice hoppy, lingering aftertaste. The carbonation is excellant.

The last few cans of reg Guinness at home has been rather flat (getting it in a bar is always better)so a black & tan always was the way for me to go. With this Foreign Extra you have carbonation, chocolate malts and the hops, it does not need a thing. 2 or 3 would be tops in a setting but at $11 for a 4 pack, it's a beer I'll save for special occasions. I really believe this is going to be a big hit!

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

I wanted to try as many different beers as I could in St. Martin/St. Maarten, and the main choices were pale lagers and stout. Guinness was the stout that most bars on the island featured. This was stout #1 that I sampled. It ranged from $2-4 dollars a bottle at most places. Appearance was dark and smell was really roasted, just as I expected. The one thing that I noticed that was different from the standard Guinness in the US was the effect that higher abv had. This beer was much thicker and boozier on the mouthfeel. While it tasted so much better than the lagers everywhere, I enjoyed one here and there. It's not really a session beer for the island. Great beer though, and I can't wait to start to see it in the States.

2.35/5  rDev -36.5%

A - Dark ruby brown, nearly black in color with a tan head that has good retention and decent lacing.

S - Roasted aroma, but mostly consists of adjuncts.

T - Roasted adjunct taste dominates. Something about it just doesn't taste natural and it has a terrible lingering sourness in the aftertaste.

M - Full body, medium carbonation. Thick, syrup-like mouthfeel.

D - I was excited to try Foreign Extra for the first time, but this version was not very pleasing, as I struggled to finish the one bottle. The lingering sourness and adjunct content just killed the drinkability.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Guinness Foreign Extra (St. Lucia Version) from Windward & Leeward Brewery Ltd.