Pakala Porter - Waimea Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Waimea Brewing Company
Hawaii, United States

English Porter |  4.90% ABV

A Bold, full bodied, robust porter with a rich chocolaty, roasted flavor. Named after the aggressive surf break just up the road from Waimea Brewing Company, this beer is not for the light-hearted beer drinker, but is a sure delight for any dark beer fan. Approximately 4.9% ABV and 18 IBU's.

(Beer added by: HardTarget on 01-06-2005)
Reviews by monkeylovebeer:
4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This porter is the darkest beer brewed at Waimea, and dark it is! The Pakala Porter pours as black as a night out on the beach away from the lights of eastern Kaua'i. The Pakala's quarter-inch head quickly reduces leaving some lacing behind, but on a night like this, au natural is what is really called for.

Moving in close, the Pakala offers up a strong coffee/roasted malt fragrance and invites the first sip. Taking the initiative, I raise the pint to my lips and let the initial hop bitterness wash over my tongue. This brew deserves more that a brief flirtation; to be appreciated, it is to be savored.

The immediate brashness of the hop profile soon gives way to a decadent dark chocolate aftertaste with a bit of espresso/burnt toast hinting toward this porter's English roots.

The aggressive mouthfeel of the Pakala demands attention, but for those daring enough to ride it out, this beer tastes better the longer it is on the tongue.

monkeylovebeer, Aug 12, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Had a pint from the tap at the brewery in Waimea.

Appeared very dark, with a small head that soon dissipated.

Smells of chocolate and smoked wood.

Nice porter taste, with chocolate and some woodsmoke coming through, and a little hop bitterness. A much better beer than I was expecting on the island.

This is very drinkable, for those who enjoy a hearty porter with a bit of smoke.

Beerenauslese, Sep 04, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on tap at the Waimea Brewing Company in Kaua’i.
Aroma: Deep roasted malt with a strong hit of espresso, double sugar.
Appearance: Black glass with clear dark brown edges topped with an off white light head.
Flavor: The dark roasted malts blend well with a low level citric hop note; Classic porter profile.
Mouthfeel: Soft, round and clean. A very nice feel.
Overall Impression: Not being a porter fan, this was enjoyable.

HardTarget, Jan 06, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap at the brewery in Kauai. I knew I was on an island and I could expect mostly lighter beers, so finding a dark one was a treat and it may have made me like it more. Either way, it was a good solid porter.

I watched the guy pour it because I was curious, and there wasn't much head at all, although it was there minimally. It was a darker, nutty kind of brown, and I thought it looked really pleasant. The smell was also somewhat nutty and maybe even a little smokey.

Upon first sip I really thought that it was a fine porter, made especially so by the fact that I wasn't expecting it. Some smokiness and malts, more nutty than bitter, and had a smooth finish which made it very drinkable.

Overall this was the best beer I had in Hawaii, Kauai or Oahu or otherwise. Not perfect by any means but a really enjoyable beer and one that I would have if I ever found it again.

rasta16ry, Mar 15, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Dark chocolate color. Low carbonation (not too bad). Very thin chocolate-malt head with traces of lacing.
Smell:I LITERALLY smelled the beer before it came into view. Big chocolate aroma. So big that there is very little room for other scents to come through.
Taste: For a small island brewery, I was very satisfied by the taste. True to the American porter style but with more nut and chocolate notes, and a satisfying burnt malt finish.
Mouthfeel: Full but smooth.
Drinkability: Am. Porter lovers and chocolate stout fiends will find this very drinkable. I could stand a couple of pints, myself.

1759Girl, Nov 26, 2007
Pakala Porter from Waimea Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.