Löwenbräu Original - Löwenbräu AG

Löwenbräu OriginalLöwenbräu Original

Löwenbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Löwenbräu Original Alström Bros
Mike-L

03-03-2012 23:53:18 | More by Mike-L
Fighterbeet

Spain

1.25/5  rDev -62%

07-09-2014 10:44:07 | More by Fighterbeet
kboett77

1.4/5  rDev -57.4%

Wow, ok, maybe this was skunked, but it was horrible. Smelled pretty bad and tasted worse. I would rate this amongst the worst beers I have ever tried. My apologies for not having more to say, but I didn't finish this beer, just 2 swallows. I promise, I will try another one, in case this one was in fact skunked.

02-06-2008 00:58:43 | More by kboett77
sauron681

Wisconsin

1.45/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I really was not impressed with this beer. Right from the open it had a "rotten veggie" smell to it. The beer poured very nice in the glass, bright golden color, a little more clear than I anticipated. However, it had a good long lasting head. Very watery, and a chalky aftertaste. I dont think I will try this one again for a while. I have had better german "light" beers.

01-12-2006 01:55:44 | More by sauron681
audirs4s

1.45/5  rDev -55.9%

I've read all of the other reviews on this beer and I don't understand how it's consistently receiving high or even average marks. This is probably one of the worst beers I've ever had. Maybe the one I had was skunked, but my friends who drank the rest of the case assured me it tasted normal.

It started out OK with a light crisp start and then it was all down hill from there. It had a very strong bitter/sour aftertaste that made it incredibly hard to finish. I always finish a beer no matter how bad it tastes, but I really struggled on this one.

If I ever come by it again I'll try it just in case the one I had was skunked. Until I do though, my advice is to stay away.

07-17-2008 01:56:06 | More by audirs4s

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

05-13-2014 23:01:15 | More by davidwhatshisnam
UltraZelda64

1.63/5  rDev -50.5%

Served: Poured from a green (...) bottle into a pint glass. A foreshadow of things to come? I hope not, as I selectively chose my pack where I thought the least amount of light would be able to enter (and therefore destroy) the beer. Still, I didn't get my hopes up.

Smell: Smell comes first, because as soon as I cracked the cap just a bit, I got a very strong and unpleasant whiff of skunk. Immediate disappointment, before I even had the chance to pop the cap off. There may be a little bit of maltiness as well, but skunk dominates.

Appearance: Very light, piss yellow... carbonation bubbles are tiny and there's not lot of them. Crowned with a white, puffy head. Very disappointing, the head is the best part of its appearance. Even it goes away very quickly, though, leaving nothing but a skunked piss-like liquid.

Taste: The first couple sips of this beer almost made me gag--skunk once again takes the spotlight. There's a little bit of maltiness I could detect in the flavor, hidden away somewhere behind the light-struck hops. Very low bitterness--probably because the hops have already been torn to shreds. The background maltiness seems to be in the aftertaste as well, and is actually somewhat enticing.

Mouthfeel: This is where this beer shines. It's very light and has the potential to be easy to drink, skunkiness aside.

Drinkability: Because of the skunkiness, this beer starts off nearly impossible to drink. After half a glass, it's not as perceptible in the taste, or the smell. It gets easier to drink, the more you drink. Maybe it would be a good beer to drink when already pretty wasted, but definitely not to start a night off with.

Certainly not a good "first try." I can imagine an unskunked Löwenbräu Original being quite nice, but with the price and the bottle color, it's just not worth the risk of skunked shit. I haven't had too many foreign beers out of green bottles, but I'm already considering giving up on them. I think this was a waste of $6.49, and I will not buy it again unless I see it in better-protected containers (cans or fully-boxed bottles to block the light).

12-27-2007 02:42:00 | More by UltraZelda64
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

1.7/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Very pale, clear, dingy, brassy yellow; almost the color of egg whites. White head is very fizzy but with adequate retention.

Smell: Skunk alert! Goddamn green bottle. A bit of bready malt, otherwise this is musty, uninteresting, and bland.

Taste: Very bland. Corn, a bit of grassy hop bitterness and old hop cheesiness. Clean and crisp, like mineral water. Overall, a stereotypically lousy beer worthy of much lampooning.

Mouthfeel: Actually somewhat chewy, while at the same time effervescent. Not bad.

Drinkability: (Yawn!) If you're looking for a bland, relatively unobtrusive beer, there are better and cheaper options out there.

01-17-2006 20:15:04 | More by soulgrowl
Trent

07-30-2012 23:37:08 | More by Trent
SaltyLime

Colorado

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - pale, clear light straw color, white head that disappeared in seconds

Smell - nothing

Taste - pungent skunk, grassy, rough bitterness

Mouthfeel - not bad, but hard to judge after the taste

Drinkability - unpleasant, rough to drink with a straight face

05-16-2007 20:15:39 | More by SaltyLime

JayS2629

Alabama

1.83/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pale clear yellow with thin white head, little retention and poor lace.

S- Hints of lemongrass, faint sweet malt, skunk, and grapefruit

T- Bitter grapefruit, skunk, citrus notes, sour lemon peel, notes of floral hops

M- thin and watery

D- Get past the skunk and bitter lemon and you'll find bitter asprin chalky, nasties.

12-25-2010 05:38:25 | More by JayS2629
uziangis

01-13-2012 02:20:00 | More by uziangis
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with a standard head. Aroma is quite weak with only some malt coming out of my glass. The same applies for the taste, which is quite weak. I don’t have a lot of experience with helles and this leaves me with the feeling of macro crap lager.

06-14-2004 15:10:01 | More by Phyl21ca