Löwenbräu Original - Löwenbräu AG

Löwenbräu OriginalLöwenbräu Original

Löwenbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Löwenbräu Original Alström Bros
Pegasus

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Medium golden in color with a nice cloud top head and lively carbonation, good lace.

Aroma: Riich and malty with herbal hops and some subtle grassy notes mercifully free of any skunk.

Taste: Begins with a slight tingling of carbonation, followed by rich and slightly sour malt flavors and then a momentary fruit-like sweetness. Midway through the taste, bitter hops notes appear. These carry on to the somewhat dry finish and linger ghost-like at the back of the mouth.

Mouth feel: Quite good, smooth, soft, fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Really exemplary for the style. In short, very nice.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce green glass Euro-style longneck bottle with a pop-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Update: 2007-06-22: The label notes "Imported from Munich, Germany".

06-22-2008 19:47:46 | More by Pegasus
Matty1918

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a pint glass...A golden yellow with a nice white head that didn't last too long. Good carbonation.

Aroma is of grains and light malts. Not too much going on.

First sip is pretty good....very minimal hop character but it blends nice with the grains. Little bubbles bounce of your tongue as you let this brew sit in your mouth. Very light and is a good session beer. I'd buy this again.

06-15-2008 00:03:50 | More by Matty1918
BeerCon5

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a clear straw color, with about a quarter inch of fluffy white head.

S: Mostly a grainy scent and some crisp malt.

T: Mostly a sweet grainy taste and a bit hoppy.

M: Thin, smooth mouthfeel with some active carbonation.

D: Pretty easy to drink, although it's not really something I would drink regularly, I wouldn't mind having a few.

05-16-2008 00:59:22 | More by BeerCon5
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

This was one of my dad's favorites when I was a kid. I was reminded of that when my wife came home from the hospital (where she works) and told me about a German patient that she was treating. She told him I was a beer nut and he said that his favorite was "Lowenbrau" in a rough halted German accent. I toast this brew to my father and that elderly German man (who just passed away a few weeks ago).

Pours out into the pint glass a pale yellow color with a tremendous head...

Aroma is grainy and malty with a surprising hoppiness... Hmmm...

Damn, this is a good little lager here!!! Its clean and crisp with a sharp hoppy finish that complements the malt up front very well... Enjoyed several of these while eating some brats off of the grill and enjoyed the hell out of them...

05-15-2008 01:24:20 | More by Tilley4
BeerTaster

4.22/5  rDev +28.3%

Appearance remenicent of golden fields of grain. Smell crisp malt clean with a hint of nobel hop. Taste sweet grainy maltiness with just enough hop to balance. Mouthfeel Mediem body mediem carbonation. Drinkability an everyday beer that combines a respectible amount of flavor with great drinkability.

05-13-2008 00:09:04 | More by BeerTaster
santa109

Quebec (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Served at 40 degrees. Label says that is was produced in Munich, Germany and imported. Best before date is January 2009.

A: Poured a clear pale yellow with about a finger of head into a pils glass. The head fades away fairly quickly into a thick film constantly replenished by a lively rush of bubbles.

S: Mostly grainy and herbal hops. Nothing spectacular in this department. Just a clean lager smell.

T: Clean, somewhat crisp initial malt domination with a hint of hops to balance it out shortly afterwards. Bit of a lingering sweet finish.

M: Pretty smooth feel with the lively carbonation tingling the tongue but in a good way. Feels refreshing.

D: Very easy to drink as with most beers in this style. I would have no problem having a few.

Overall, a fairly nice lager with a very decent price tag. Enjoyable in the summer, after a day of work and just before supper.

05-12-2008 22:03:53 | More by santa109
nasty15108

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Poured a clear yellow color with very slight orange hues. This beer is highly carbonated and the pour produced a large head of white foam that quicly disapated into a a spotty film. Bubbly lacing clung to the glass throughout.

S - Slightly bitter malt aroma with a mild skunkiness.

T - Crisp and slightly bready up front followed by slightly bitter dry hop finish. Nothing new or exciting, but not bad. Typical European Helles/Plisner flavor.

MF&D - Crisp, light and refreshing. The combination of good carbonation and thin body make this an easy beer to session. Well worth the $5.99 I paid for the 6pk.

05-09-2008 17:03:26 | More by nasty15108
zeff80

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Poured out a fizzy, clear, straw-yellow color with a small, short-lived, whtie head. No lacing.

S - It smelled fairly sweet. Grains and corn notes plus a slightly floral aroma.

T - It tasted sweet with a subtle bitter kick. Again, grain/corn tastes.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay import. Nice on a warm spring day.

05-09-2008 04:53:07 | More by zeff80
tai4ji2x

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

found this with the other recent german brews i also picked up in beijing

green bottle with "best by" of 10/08

clear, golden straw color, decent head soon fades to wisps and thin ring. lacing is sparse.

there is some skunk, but at least it's not overpowering. underneath, you can still get some toasted malts, grassy hop, and even an almost-fresh, yeasty note.

fortunately, the skunk fades even more for the taste, so you can definitely get to the sweet malt foundation. balanced hop flavor and bitterness comes in and continues into the semi-dry finish.

surprisingly smooth, lively carbonation.

if you can get this fresh, or somehow guarantee that it hasn't been left out in the light, go for it. out here in china, with the premium price you pay, it's usually not worth the gamble however.

04-30-2008 14:28:02 | More by tai4ji2x
LittleCreature

Australia

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance - 3.5
Poured two fingers of frothy white head that steadily reduced. Great clarity in the pale gold body with what looks like light carbonation.

Smell - 3.0
Pure, strong skunk upon opening and no use-by date means this beer may have been out of date. Skunky smell faded but never left, aroma is of mildly sweet pale malt and grains.

Taste - 3.5
Next to Aussie macro lagers, this is bloody good as it does not possess any stale or metallic flavours. Next to most German pale lagers I see this as being a bit below average. Smooth malt sweetness, toasty, savoury in the middle, low hop profile, finishes dry with an average aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Light, fine carbonation, a little less than I consider desirable, but coupled with the light weight in the mouth, this beer slips down ever so easily. Very quenching.

Drinkability - 4.5
Extremely sessionable, the 5.2%ABV is barely noticeable. One of the best summer lagers out there.

OVERALL - 3.55
Trying to account for this beer being quite possibly not at its best, this is still a fairly average German lager. Better than Becks, but falls short of anything German starting with a W. I'd gladly drink one if offered, but this is not memorable enough to go back to. Decent value at $3.60 a bottle.

04-16-2008 07:28:18 | More by LittleCreature
Pauly2X

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Very bright yellow supports a finger and a half head.

S- Ever so slight hint of green bottle skunk but this is forgivable due the wonderful spicy hop aroma.

T- Sweet grainy malts battle it out for dominance with spicy hops throughout only to lose in the end.

M- Tangy carbonation, otherwise great.

D- Goes down just as effortlessly as BMC.

IMO this has a little more hop pressence than a typical helles. Even though it may lean a little more toward a german pils, its still an enjoyable refreshing brew.

03-26-2008 15:21:47 | More by Pauly2X
dnichols

Washington

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

I poured a 12 ounce green capped bottle into a pint glass. My bottle was labeled ""Imported from Munich Germany" and asserted that it was "A product of Germany". Others who have reviewed identified it as a brew produced in Canada. I wonder if it is a split production run with some in NA and other in the fatherland.

A: It poured an odd green tinted yellow colored body with a minimal white hed that receded fast to a ring around the collar that supported a nominal almost non-existent lacing.

S: The aroma was dominated by a wet grass and musty smell with a hint of malts and hops. Not a particularly pleasing smell.

T: It tasted of grains and semi-sweet malts. There were subtle hop flavors that gave the brew some character. The brew was overall well balanced and refreshing.

M: The beer was light-bodied with a refreshing mouth feel and dry clean finish.

D: The overall profile was pleasing and refreshing. It was surprisingly, especially considering its uninspiring appearance and smell. Not a bad complement to a spicy pizza or Mexican dinner.

03-05-2008 05:08:52 | More by dnichols
donteatpoop

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Very solid lager. This is in my current 'rotation' of beers, and is admittedly one of my favorites. I could drink this all the time. The aroma is a bit skunky and oaky. The flavor is far from unusual, more perfection of what everyone else is doing than a differnt way of doing it. Goes down easy and leaves the drinker satisfied at the end. A wave of sorrow hits me when I finished the first bottle empty.

Alas I cannot find it near me anymore.

02-28-2008 05:55:10 | More by donteatpoop
Antilochus

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

It's been in my beer fridge for months now.. I know... traded to me by a buddy who went to Deutschland during summer of '07.

Poured into a Stella Artois gold-rimmed glass.

Appearance is golden (deeper colour than a macro lager), small white head goes to nothing. Small bubbles rise up regularly.

Aromas are light sweet malt and spice, citrus zest, yeast. Very clean. Nothing big here, this needs to warm up a bit.

Super biscuity on the palate, malt richness. Some fruitiness, green apples, pears. Very zesty and easy drinking. Gets a bit yeasty towards the end but overall decently balanced with some mild bitterness on the back of the tongue. Quick reasonably dry finish. Surprisingly big and creamy body.

Definitively a Helles, props to Lowenbrau for not succumbing to EPLness. Too bad they can't put it in a real bottle though... honestly.

02-27-2008 07:46:03 | More by Antilochus
kboett77

1.4/5  rDev -57.4%

Wow, ok, maybe this was skunked, but it was horrible. Smelled pretty bad and tasted worse. I would rate this amongst the worst beers I have ever tried. My apologies for not having more to say, but I didn't finish this beer, just 2 swallows. I promise, I will try another one, in case this one was in fact skunked.

02-06-2008 00:58:43 | More by kboett77
mltobin

Connecticut

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The appearance is a light yellow with a short white head, that quickly dissipitates.

Lowenbrau smells mildly appealing, light with some notes of barley and straw.

The taste is clean and better than most other macro lagers available.

MF is refreshing, but the after taste is kind of skunky.

Drinks easy, good beer to have few of when playing hold `em with your friends.

02-02-2008 21:39:13 | More by mltobin
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz from the Coop picked up yesterday for about $1.15... poured into my New Belgium snifter.

No real lacing.. crystal clear straw colored beer... short lasting 1" head.

Clean pale malts are the aroma.. and little if nothing else.. very clean.. a little grainy with low pale malts and the hops are there, only if I concentrate.

Suprising body given my preconceptions.. very smooth pale malt flavor and just enough bitterness... drinkable for days.

Not alot of negatives to say about this brew.. I honestly like it a bunch.

I honestly think this is my first Löwenbrä ... A good friend of mine who grew up in the Midwest says this was her "high school" beer... and honestly.. it's better than my memories of brews in 9-12.

02-01-2008 10:25:06 | More by JohnGalt1
KI9A

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a bottle, darker than normal yellow, white head, typical of macro-lagers.

Haven't had one of these since the early 1908's, when Miller owned them. Didn't know what to expect.

Aroma: Light citrus, and, yes, hops!

Taste: Light, detectable malt, and a hoppy finsh. Not a head bursting hop hit, but, yes, you can taste them in there. Finishes nice, clean, and refreshing.

This is a really decent session beer. I enjoyed this a bunch!

01-31-2008 01:58:05 | More by KI9A
jneiswender

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small pint glass.

A--VERY clear. champagne like color and fizz.

S--somewhat fruity. A little yeasty.

T--clean. crisp. both of these come to mind almost immediately. light on malt and light on hop flavor. Yet together the beer has some nice taste to it.

M-light

D--I half expected this to suck. Actually, I was pleasantly suprised to taste that it didn't. I could see myself drinking this again despite the extensive must do list.

01-28-2008 04:33:21 | More by jneiswender
berserker256

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

When I put my nose to the green bottle I didn't smell the skunk that I thought I might. So that was nice... Fresh batch. Appearance is moderate gold typical of the German lagers. Nice white head. Smells sweet-malty and kind of hoppy. As the aroma indicates, there's a nice rich malt flavor that provides some sweet flavor. And the hops provide a nice punch of bitterness. Nice consistancy. Not too thin or thick. Pretty drinkable but now I'm tasting a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. Decent Munich Lager. I'll bet it's better in a giant mug served by muscle-armed German broad at Oktoberfest.

01-04-2008 19:35:33 | More by berserker256
fsimcox

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

I've been living in Germany for 2 years now, and must admit I hadn't drunk any Lowenbrau until just the last 6 months.

In the States, I hadn't drunk Lowenbrau for over 5 years because it always seemed to be skunky. I visited the Lowenbrau Keller in Munich last summer, and had a Helles, and it was very tasty. So, I bought a few bottles at the local Getranke, and wow, it tastes very good.

So, since I've been drinking it for the past 6 months, thought I would write a review.

Pours a nice clear straw color from a 50 cl brown bottle (exp Nov08). White foamy head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing.

Smells malty, with a bit of hops and grass. Some of the typical sweetness one would expect in a Helles.

Tastes sweet up front, with just a hint of bitterness in the finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel is very good. A little creamy, with some body, but not too much. Some dry side effects with the hint of bitterness.

Not a bad beer in my opinion. Not the best Helles I've ever had, but I find it smooth and easy to drink.

01-03-2008 15:25:16 | More by fsimcox
rrob311

New Hampshire

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

I bought a six pack of this a few months ago.

A- The appearance is normal.

S- This beer is funky skunky when you first open it.

T- I personally like the taste of this beer as long as its fairly cold. It is rich in flavor/hops.

M- mouthfeel is average to me.

D- I can drink a few of things and get a good buzz off of them.

12-31-2007 22:39:48 | More by rrob311
UltraZelda64

1.63/5  rDev -50.5%

Served: Poured from a green (...) bottle into a pint glass. A foreshadow of things to come? I hope not, as I selectively chose my pack where I thought the least amount of light would be able to enter (and therefore destroy) the beer. Still, I didn't get my hopes up.

Smell: Smell comes first, because as soon as I cracked the cap just a bit, I got a very strong and unpleasant whiff of skunk. Immediate disappointment, before I even had the chance to pop the cap off. There may be a little bit of maltiness as well, but skunk dominates.

Appearance: Very light, piss yellow... carbonation bubbles are tiny and there's not lot of them. Crowned with a white, puffy head. Very disappointing, the head is the best part of its appearance. Even it goes away very quickly, though, leaving nothing but a skunked piss-like liquid.

Taste: The first couple sips of this beer almost made me gag--skunk once again takes the spotlight. There's a little bit of maltiness I could detect in the flavor, hidden away somewhere behind the light-struck hops. Very low bitterness--probably because the hops have already been torn to shreds. The background maltiness seems to be in the aftertaste as well, and is actually somewhat enticing.

Mouthfeel: This is where this beer shines. It's very light and has the potential to be easy to drink, skunkiness aside.

Drinkability: Because of the skunkiness, this beer starts off nearly impossible to drink. After half a glass, it's not as perceptible in the taste, or the smell. It gets easier to drink, the more you drink. Maybe it would be a good beer to drink when already pretty wasted, but definitely not to start a night off with.

Certainly not a good "first try." I can imagine an unskunked Löwenbräu Original being quite nice, but with the price and the bottle color, it's just not worth the risk of skunked shit. I haven't had too many foreign beers out of green bottles, but I'm already considering giving up on them. I think this was a waste of $6.49, and I will not buy it again unless I see it in better-protected containers (cans or fully-boxed bottles to block the light).

12-27-2007 02:42:00 | More by UltraZelda64
jayfarley3

Nevada

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

poured into a pint glass from 12oz bottle, pours a pale straw yellow color with a very small white head. smell is bland not a lot there just a little malt and grain. taste is light and crisp not a lot of flavor but very smooth and easy to drink. this beer is drinkable and would make a pretty good session beer.

12-05-2007 05:46:32 | More by jayfarley3
Foxman

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

It pours a golden hue a step darker than straw. A finger of bright white head is somewhat persistent. Lacing is thinly ruled along the inside of the glass.

The aroma is as expected, with a Euro-lager mild skunkiness that is at least reminiscent of peppery hop spiciness. A light, underlying malt sweetness bleeds through.

Upon tasting, it is malt initially, sweet and with the merest hint of adjunct, which I actually think unlikely. The hops are biting and bitter, with a peppery note that spices things accordingly. The finish is very crisp, very bitter, and quite dry. It's not objectionable, nor is it remotely memorable.

Light bodied, it flows pretty much as expected, a bit more weighty than water and with a hoppy metallic glow in its wake.

I can remember my father and his buddies raving about this beer when I was a wee lad, in the late 60s and early 70s. He'd get a case once a year. I'm assuming it was better then than now to have engendered all the excitement. That's not to say it's bad. But in my wordiness, I seldom write a short review, and in this case, I simply can't come up with much to say because there's not a whole lot to write about. And yet, what's there is solid enough to allow it to be decently drinkable.
I guess I'll just have to take Dad's word for how good it was back in the day.

11-29-2007 17:16:51 | More by Foxman