1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Löwenbräu Original - Löwenbräu AG

Löwenbräu OriginalLöwenbräu Original

Löwenbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Löwenbräu Original Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The appearance is a light yellow with a short white head, that quickly dissipitates.

Lowenbrau smells mildly appealing, light with some notes of barley and straw.

The taste is clean and better than most other macro lagers available.

MF is refreshing, but the after taste is kind of skunky.

Drinks easy, good beer to have few of when playing hold `em with your friends.

mltobin, Feb 02, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz from the Coop picked up yesterday for about $1.15... poured into my New Belgium snifter.

No real lacing.. crystal clear straw colored beer... short lasting 1" head.

Clean pale malts are the aroma.. and little if nothing else.. very clean.. a little grainy with low pale malts and the hops are there, only if I concentrate.

Suprising body given my preconceptions.. very smooth pale malt flavor and just enough bitterness... drinkable for days.

Not alot of negatives to say about this brew.. I honestly like it a bunch.

I honestly think this is my first Löwenbrä ... A good friend of mine who grew up in the Midwest says this was her "high school" beer... and honestly.. it's better than my memories of brews in 9-12.

JohnGalt1, Feb 01, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a bottle, darker than normal yellow, white head, typical of macro-lagers.

Haven't had one of these since the early 1908's, when Miller owned them. Didn't know what to expect.

Aroma: Light citrus, and, yes, hops!

Taste: Light, detectable malt, and a hoppy finsh. Not a head bursting hop hit, but, yes, you can taste them in there. Finishes nice, clean, and refreshing.

This is a really decent session beer. I enjoyed this a bunch!

KI9A, Jan 31, 2008
3.28/5  rDev 0%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small pint glass.

A--VERY clear. champagne like color and fizz.

S--somewhat fruity. A little yeasty.

T--clean. crisp. both of these come to mind almost immediately. light on malt and light on hop flavor. Yet together the beer has some nice taste to it.

M-light

D--I half expected this to suck. Actually, I was pleasantly suprised to taste that it didn't. I could see myself drinking this again despite the extensive must do list.

jneiswender, Jan 28, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I put my nose to the green bottle I didn't smell the skunk that I thought I might. So that was nice... Fresh batch. Appearance is moderate gold typical of the German lagers. Nice white head. Smells sweet-malty and kind of hoppy. As the aroma indicates, there's a nice rich malt flavor that provides some sweet flavor. And the hops provide a nice punch of bitterness. Nice consistancy. Not too thin or thick. Pretty drinkable but now I'm tasting a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. Decent Munich Lager. I'll bet it's better in a giant mug served by muscle-armed German broad at Oktoberfest.

berserker256, Jan 04, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +10.7%

I've been living in Germany for 2 years now, and must admit I hadn't drunk any Lowenbrau until just the last 6 months.

In the States, I hadn't drunk Lowenbrau for over 5 years because it always seemed to be skunky. I visited the Lowenbrau Keller in Munich last summer, and had a Helles, and it was very tasty. So, I bought a few bottles at the local Getranke, and wow, it tastes very good.

So, since I've been drinking it for the past 6 months, thought I would write a review.

Pours a nice clear straw color from a 50 cl brown bottle (exp Nov08). White foamy head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing.

Smells malty, with a bit of hops and grass. Some of the typical sweetness one would expect in a Helles.

Tastes sweet up front, with just a hint of bitterness in the finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel is very good. A little creamy, with some body, but not too much. Some dry side effects with the hint of bitterness.

Not a bad beer in my opinion. Not the best Helles I've ever had, but I find it smooth and easy to drink.

fsimcox, Jan 03, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

I bought a six pack of this a few months ago.

A- The appearance is normal.

S- This beer is funky skunky when you first open it.

T- I personally like the taste of this beer as long as its fairly cold. It is rich in flavor/hops.

M- mouthfeel is average to me.

D- I can drink a few of things and get a good buzz off of them.

rrob311, Dec 31, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -50.3%

Served: Poured from a green (...) bottle into a pint glass. A foreshadow of things to come? I hope not, as I selectively chose my pack where I thought the least amount of light would be able to enter (and therefore destroy) the beer. Still, I didn't get my hopes up.

Smell: Smell comes first, because as soon as I cracked the cap just a bit, I got a very strong and unpleasant whiff of skunk. Immediate disappointment, before I even had the chance to pop the cap off. There may be a little bit of maltiness as well, but skunk dominates.

Appearance: Very light, piss yellow... carbonation bubbles are tiny and there's not lot of them. Crowned with a white, puffy head. Very disappointing, the head is the best part of its appearance. Even it goes away very quickly, though, leaving nothing but a skunked piss-like liquid.

Taste: The first couple sips of this beer almost made me gag--skunk once again takes the spotlight. There's a little bit of maltiness I could detect in the flavor, hidden away somewhere behind the light-struck hops. Very low bitterness--probably because the hops have already been torn to shreds. The background maltiness seems to be in the aftertaste as well, and is actually somewhat enticing.

Mouthfeel: This is where this beer shines. It's very light and has the potential to be easy to drink, skunkiness aside.

Drinkability: Because of the skunkiness, this beer starts off nearly impossible to drink. After half a glass, it's not as perceptible in the taste, or the smell. It gets easier to drink, the more you drink. Maybe it would be a good beer to drink when already pretty wasted, but definitely not to start a night off with.

Certainly not a good "first try." I can imagine an unskunked Löwenbräu Original being quite nice, but with the price and the bottle color, it's just not worth the risk of skunked shit. I haven't had too many foreign beers out of green bottles, but I'm already considering giving up on them. I think this was a waste of $6.49, and I will not buy it again unless I see it in better-protected containers (cans or fully-boxed bottles to block the light).

UltraZelda64, Dec 27, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -6.1%

poured into a pint glass from 12oz bottle, pours a pale straw yellow color with a very small white head. smell is bland not a lot there just a little malt and grain. taste is light and crisp not a lot of flavor but very smooth and easy to drink. this beer is drinkable and would make a pretty good session beer.

jayfarley3, Dec 05, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

It pours a golden hue a step darker than straw. A finger of bright white head is somewhat persistent. Lacing is thinly ruled along the inside of the glass.

The aroma is as expected, with a Euro-lager mild skunkiness that is at least reminiscent of peppery hop spiciness. A light, underlying malt sweetness bleeds through.

Upon tasting, it is malt initially, sweet and with the merest hint of adjunct, which I actually think unlikely. The hops are biting and bitter, with a peppery note that spices things accordingly. The finish is very crisp, very bitter, and quite dry. It's not objectionable, nor is it remotely memorable.

Light bodied, it flows pretty much as expected, a bit more weighty than water and with a hoppy metallic glow in its wake.

I can remember my father and his buddies raving about this beer when I was a wee lad, in the late 60s and early 70s. He'd get a case once a year. I'm assuming it was better then than now to have engendered all the excitement. That's not to say it's bad. But in my wordiness, I seldom write a short review, and in this case, I simply can't come up with much to say because there's not a whole lot to write about. And yet, what's there is solid enough to allow it to be decently drinkable.
I guess I'll just have to take Dad's word for how good it was back in the day.

Foxman, Nov 29, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -13.1%

This beer is really nothing to go out of your way for, but its not bad because you can get it in a 12 pack. very few beers are available in 12pks, but this is not a bad choice if you are picking from corona, bud, coors, heineken etc. The smell of it reminds you of the typical Dutch/German macro-brew. They probally look at this similar to the way Americans look at coors/bud. Overall i would drink this again, but it is not super. It golden with just a little bit of head. Decent pop to it, and minimal aftertaste.

madjr80, Nov 28, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +6.1%

This brew poured a crisp and clear golden straw, not a bad white head on top.

Good ol’ euro skunk was everywhere – upon opening, and during the pour. Quaff was a pleasant sharp and biting cooked veggies with malt – light on both aspects.

Lite bodied, this is a solid drinking helles brew, with a bit of a bark as it weighs in at 5.2% - except there are a couple I’d pick up before this one (Bitburger)

Vancer, Nov 24, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -9.1%

A: pours a nice pale gold with one finger head that quickly dissapears leaving a thin film and nice lacing.

S: Crisp grassy hops and smooth malty sweetness

T: tastes of grassy hops dominate, but unfortunately falls off quite quickly leaving very little aftertaste and alcoholic bite

M: light, watery, and a ton of carbonation, smooth, but somewhat uninspiring watery finish

D: This beer is certainly easy to drink and, it's not that it doesn't taste very well, the flavours are there but they don't stick around long enough in my opinion.

Graham5161986, Nov 21, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

Löwenbräu was one of the very few "foreign" beers around
when I was a kid. Wiki says it was license brewed in the 'states
until recently. The TeeVee commercials told us to "Let
it be Löwenrbäu". It was one of the earlier green beers, I suppose
to differentiate it from Michelob, which had the sexy bottle and
gold foil. Or something like that.

Löwenbräu, after a hard pour, reveals a big stiff head over a clear
yellow brew. Carbonation is steady, and the nose is light barley
malt and lager yeast. The flavor is slightly sweet barley malt up
front, with a bit of a spicy herbal hop in the finish, and a little grass
in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light, watery actually. Nothing super
special is going on, it's just another Euro Pale Lager. There's no
corn though, so it's a cut above the American equivalent. The irony
is, when it was around when I was a kid, this would have been
considered super strong- since it had some flavor instead of none at
all. And that version wasn't even made in Germany.

shadow1961, Nov 20, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Eye: The beer pours a a crystal clear gold and is lively looking with carbonation. The head is of a healthy size has good retention(over time it is slowly shrinking) and lacing and is creamy in appearance.

Nose: Aroma is great on this brew. Nice strong malty backbone with a bit of spicy hops to top it off. Very clean as well. Very pleased with the aroma of this brew.

Tongue: Overall clean taste. Nice malt backbone providing plenty of malt sweetness. The small amount of hops in this brew are barely perceivable, just enough of them there to balance the brew out. Flavor is overall a bit subdued...I think that this would be a great crossover brew for someone who is a light lager drinker.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light and fizzy on the palate, with a slightly dry finish that leaves the mouth watering. The brew is easy to drink, it makes a great "anytime" beer, and as I already mentioned it would be a great crossover brew. This isn't a brew I'd seek out, but I would consider buying it again because it is a brew that will appeal to the BMC drinker, if you're trying to convert then this is one possible route.

becktone, Oct 28, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a medium amber colour. Has a creamy head but dissipates quickly. Initial taste is sharp with a bitter aftertaste. Is mildly pungent in odour. Bought this beer on a whim as it was on sale. Now I know why. Is drinkable but I wouldn't race out to buy it again.

madvoice, Sep 24, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a pretty average beer...consumed at Oktoberfest in Minneapolis, MN
Appearance was quite bland...although it was in a plastic cup...still kinda clear but tough to note alot here. Just kinda run of the mill.
Smell was bit better, some sweeter malt with a mild blend of hops.
Taste was slighty hoppier than the smell. Dissapates very quickly however.
Mouthfeel is light in body with little carbonation.
Pretty drinkable though.

supercolter, Sep 18, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Nothing too impressive about the look of this one. Pours a bland, kind of boring shade of gold with a half-inch, somewhat of a creamy head that dissipates about halfway through the beer.

Smells pretty average for an affordable German pilsner. Malted barley is definetely dominant. There is a slight skunkiness in the scent of the malts that is somewhat reminiscent of Heineken.

Tastes like an average, relatively light German pilsner. The malts are actually a lot more pleasing to the taste buds than they are to the nostrils- there is a certain subtlty about them that is clean and and extremely refreshing.

The mouthfeel of this one is probably the aspect of it with which I am most impressed. It's really light (definetely notably lighter than Beck's, Stella Artois, or Heineken) with a surprising fizziness which is both enjoyable and unique.

This is an extremely drinkable beer. A great compliment to lunch/dinner and fun (and easy on the stomach) to drink more than six of. Good for the drinker who values plainness, stability, and affordability. Note: it's also a good morning beer.

CreamyStoutMan, Sep 14, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -9.1%

First, a short story. When I was 25 and married one year, Milady and I went to Europe for five weeks and we happened to find ourselves in Munich for one night during the Oktoberfest. We spent pretty much the whole night at the Lowenbrau tent / pavillion drinking with two German couples in their 60's, at long picnic-style benches seating hundreds of people, the tent was easily twice the size of a hockey rink, and there were about 20 tents to choose from, each representing a different beer. We had lots of laughs, talked and sang, and I lost track of how many one-litlre masses the big Fraulein servers brought me that night ...we will never forget how one of the nice old guys fell in love with my wife and was refilling me from his own jug. No doubt, I was bombed when we made our way back to our room. The next morning, we were on the road at 9 a.m., just as we had planned, and I couldn't believe I had no ill effects. I drove the whole day until it got dark, with no hangover and no gas ... and that was very unusual for the Ontario big-brewery drinker I was at that time! After that, I was converted to German beer, some years later, to eruopean beer in general But that, more than anything else, was the portal to expand my beer tastes.

So let's see how this one does tonight, it's been a long time since my last one. Clear, see through and light golden. Acceptable carbonation, flimsy head but a good ring around the perimeter of the glass. It smells a bit skunky, not too much else really. A hint of hops. Taste is mildy hoppy, bitterness predominates, a bit of malt. Mouthfeel is earthy, aftertaste again malty. Although some strands of bubbles continued, the overall presentation was a bit flat after about ten minutes. It didn't improve much as the glass emptied, just dryness really.

This would best be enjoyed very, very cold, appropriate for a frozen mug. * I would not want to get drunk with this version of Lowenbrau. * That's not to say I'd pass up a chance to be in Munchen drinking it out of kegs again!

ThatWineGuy, Sep 08, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours with a bright deep straw yellow colour. The head is white, moderately low with an impaired retention and little lacing.
Nice aroma of grassy herbal hops with some citrus notes. The flavour starts with sweet biscuit malts and gradually changes to bitter grassy hops.
Slightly dry mouthfeel with a strong level of carbonation and acceptable alcoholic strength (5.2% ABV). Light body. Bitter and lingering aftertaste.

Overall it is a good, refreshing and well-balanced beer. Not top of the notch but quite enjoyable.

AlexLMS, Aug 15, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not much to say about this one other than its kind of bland. First one of these I’ve had in probably a decade or more. It seems like I remember it being better than this. Not much better than an American macro-brew. Neither aroma nor taste is anything spectacular. Mouthfeel is basic pale lager territory. OK.

biggmike, Aug 07, 2007
3.28/5  rDev 0%

Had an icy cold bottle of this on a hot summer's day last week; the perfect setting for a classic Bavarian beer.

Poured straw to golden with a good smattering of fluffy, cloud-like head that hung around for quite some time. Smell was not much to speak of, light malt and grain, maybe a spice of hops. Taste was okay, just smooth and agreeable, more on the sweeter side. A noticeable hop presence. Perfect antidote for a really hot day. Enjoyable, but for those seeking more flavor or pizzazz, you might look elsewhere.

Bamabrew22, Aug 01, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Quick notes on this beer:

Color is a bland yellow. Clear and dull.

There is acually a mild sweetness in the otherwise dull malt smell and taste.

It's actually kinda smooth, relatively speaking, for this style. It is a little fizzy, as well.

It's actually not awful. Subpar? Yes, in my opinion. But not awful.

The wheaty taste does a decent job of counteracting the customary German/Bavarian bitterness. You could do a lot worse.

williamherbert, Jul 31, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

One of my favourite beer. This beer pours a nice translucent golden colour with a bubbly white head that dissipates slowly. The aroma is flavourful with a floral tinge to it . The flavour has grassy and malty tones, and more importantly, has some bite to it which is something I like in a beer. This is a beer I would definitely recommend to friends

cyrenaica, Jun 30, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

appearance -
a light golden color, with a semi strong white head. very fine bubbles... (mixed w/ some bigger bubbles... sadly, i don't think this glass was rinsed properly enough... might be a little residue)

aroma -
some slight eatery crisp grassyness, but not super strong.

taste -
crisp, initially across the palette. some hop bite, but doesn't linger. very light and refreshing.

mouth feel -
light, clean. very drinkable. Well carbonated, really is the only thing assisting the lighter flavor profile to be exposed to the palette.

apresskibrewer, Jun 24, 2007