Löwenbräu Original - Löwenbräu AG

Löwenbräu OriginalLöwenbräu Original

Löwenbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Löwenbräu Original Alström Bros
beerguy101

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Light gold color, small head. A light bodied Euro-lager. Some flavor to it, but mostly a typical Euro-lager. Some malts, some hops, some flavor, but not much else. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Nothing great, but OK.

08-31-2003 02:50:42 | More by beerguy101
edchicma

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Light yellow color with a faint smell of hops. Medium mouthfeel, with a malty flavor with a slight hoppy aftertaste. Nice head that dissipated quickly, lacing a bit on the way down the glass. Easy enough to drink, but I find myself leaning toward ales more than lagers, so I might be a bit prejudiced. Seems to me this tastes better than the ones I had in my younger days. As far as the lagers I tried, not bad overall.

08-18-2003 23:49:25 | More by edchicma
Brent

Kentucky

I hadn't seen this beer in quite some time, the last time I had it was probably 20 years ago, when it was brewed in the U.S. At that time I considered it to be one of the better macros, not that it was all that good then. Now, brewed in Germany, I wondered if the change had put some life in the beer.

Poured a very pale straw. Some skunk in the aroma (green bottle, so to be expected). Firm mouthfeel. Some apple and grape notes in the malt, with a bittersweet finish. Not bad, and better than the run of the mill macro lager, but can't hold its own against even an average German pils, such as Bittburger.

08-02-2003 20:13:03 | More by Brent
slitherySOB

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

I had this too wash down the taste of some bad beer. Had another, too actually enjoy. This has a similar taste too what I remember the Lowenbrau original being. But, I think this more hoppy. Poured a pale yellow, with a whoosh head that quickly settled down to a half finger. Left a thin, but steady, lace on the pilzner glass. Smelled a bit hoppy, not what I was expecting. The malt came through in the taste. Hops were evident on the back of the tongue. Crisp, very crisp mouthfeel. Sort of like a dry leaf. Better than most lagers in its class.

08-01-2003 02:25:51 | More by slitherySOB
dwarbi

3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

Had this beer in a beer bar. It was priced the same as the micros and it was marked as (supposedly) the "real" Löwenbräu. Well, it looks like a Bud. no head. Straw yellow. Smells like a typical macro, too. Tastes like it was made from rice. At least it feels clean and crisp and you can easily throw one of these tasteless brews down.

07-04-2003 14:11:18 | More by dwarbi
Popsinc

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: 500ml can. Golden pour with a minimal head. Very little carbonation.

Smell: Mildly hoppy with hints of amlt and somem floral notes.

Taste: Light hoppiness and maltiness combine for a decent balance. Sweet notes throughout. Floral. A decent body for a pretty generic brew.

Mouthfeel: Full and crisp. Smooth towards the finish.

Drinkablilty: while i acknowledge that this isn't the best beer going, i enjoy it for what it is. i don't mind having this every now and then.

06-25-2003 13:45:48 | More by Popsinc
Reidrover

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Ok It has been years since I had a Lowenbrau from Germany , 13 to be exact, I dont count the Lowenbrau we got here in America for so many years brewed in Canada.
Nice lievlly carbonated, pure golden colour, clear and handsome nice sized foamy white head.
Smell is the average German lager smell..hops very faint like rainwater.
This is actually not a bad lager..clean and crisp..with a nice hoppy aftertatse.Not complex but well done..not too dry.
Average lager feel on the tongue ok but nothing special..
All in all a most drinkable lager beer..went down well with the Pork Chops I cooked for dinner.
Certainlly much better than when it was brewed in Canada.

06-13-2003 19:29:09 | More by Reidrover
Andreji

Colombia

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

'05 Re-review:

Perhaps one of my gateway lagers, I hold some high esteem for one of the only imports in colombia. The pour is light straw, carbonated with clearer-than-normal bubbles within, and a rather medium clean white head. Malty smell, some alcohol and astringency coming off (not bad tho). The taste is rather nice bodied, sweeter than normal combining a balanced bitterness as well. Medium body makes it above average. Plus you can drink quite a few.

06-07-2003 22:06:49 | More by Andreji
oberon

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

It had been quite awhile since I had one of these when I was in a local tavern I decidrd to get it.Poured a yellow/straw color with light head,somewhat of a sweet smell to it lightly metallic.Some mild bitterness and slight fruitiness but real light in flavor.Pretty easy to drink,better than alot of domestic lagers.

05-23-2003 07:19:24 | More by oberon
Tballz420

2.58/5  rDev -21.6%

Another green bottle, another beer that tastes like the other green bottle guys. Anything that says premium lager is becoming pretty suspiscious in my mind. This one is extra pale in appearance, but not as bitter in the taste. Seems pretty smooth. Nothing special about this beer. Summing up, skip it.

05-01-2003 08:11:12 | More by Tballz420
yen157

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Light yellow gold with a thin, white lacing layer comprised of medium-small bubbles. Carbonation appears to be light. Mild grassy and slightly fruity hop aroma compliments grainy malt. Bitterness is up front in this one followed by some graininess and then some slightly sweet malt. Balance is nice and body is medium.

I have a pretty bad memory for taste, but I’m pretty sure I like this better now then I did a few years ago.

04-17-2003 06:07:28 | More by yen157
AtLagerHeads

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

A decent pale lager that is fairly middle of the road, but much better than American macro interpretations. Very clear light gold color with an adequate white head. Clean, crisp taste that provides a nice balance between the malt and hops. Just a bit of off nose from the bottling, but nothing of great concern on the sample. Dry finish and moderate body feel.

04-15-2003 09:11:43 | More by AtLagerHeads
KingSpank

4.78/5  rDev +45.3%

Truly, the best pilsner I've ever tasted. With its light feel, I could drink this all night, yet it still packs a punch. This is the kind of beer that I would like to permanently stock my fridge with, because it tastes great and there's no time that I would be "not in the mood" for it as I could be with exceptionally rich beers like, say, Storm King.

04-14-2003 21:50:54 | More by KingSpank
bierman2000

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

A good pale Lager from "vom Fass". Light in flavor but refreshing and low alcohol make this highly drinkable. It is a hoppy lager that has a nice malt finish. Great beer to drink with any food since it does not overpower. Not their best beer but much better than the U.S. equivalent.

04-09-2003 12:28:23 | More by bierman2000
Bruiser81

Kansas

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer. It seems to be pretty popular at the local store so I thought I would give it a try. As soon as I popped the cap a very strong skunky aroma seemed to fill the whole room. Once I poured it into the glass it seemed to lose a lot of that skunky smell. It was a decent looking beer. A thick white head that lasted for most of the brew. The beer itself was a very light golden-yellow. The aroma was crisp with a little bit of hop bitterness detectable. There was also a slight hint of sweet malts. Taste was sort of grainy up front followed by sweet malts toward the end. There wasn't much of an aftertaste. I felt this brew may have been overly carbonated, it felt a little sharp on the tongue. Not a bad brew but certainly nothing special.

03-29-2003 10:34:47 | More by Bruiser81
budgood1

3.83/5  rDev +16.4%

pours out a chill haze clear copper colour. thin fine head and wisps of lace. nice caramel malt aroma, floral hoppiness makes a nice compliment. just a touch of euro skunk...not a detriment. tasty bread and biscuit maltiness...toffee tints...all wrapped up in a ghostly bitter, crisp hop finish. medium bodied with a mouthfeel that is quite creamy smooth. lowenbrau makes for a tasty and satisfying euro lager. recommended.

03-22-2003 18:03:31 | More by budgood1
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Lowenbrau original lager is a classic beer out of Munich, that has found it's way into my faceted mug this fine evening. It pours with a golden with a nice foaming head that leaves trickled lace around my mug. With the aroma of the typical European lager which is a bitter hop background wrapped with some fine malts. Nothing extradordinary but it's too simple not to love, I would definitely partake in a few of these if I found my way to an Oktoberfest. The taste is crisp and full that leaves a pleasant slightly spicy aftertaste on the palate. Classic lager that comes roaring with a crisp sharpness only to mellow out as the high carbonation tickles the back of the throat. Very drinkable and for 20 bucks a case a great beer to throw down for a session of suds.

03-21-2003 16:07:27 | More by WVbeergeek
Morris729

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A big red stamp on the label indicates that this beer is “Imported from Munich, Germany.” Pours a clear pale light golden color with a creamy white head that dissipates into a good amount of sticky lace. Nose is very reminiscent of sour dough bread. Light to medium in body with a very clean and crisp mouthfeel. Taste is sweet bready malts up front followed by a good amount of bitter hops leaving a dry, crisp, and refreshing finish. A fairly simple yet enjoyable brew.

03-08-2003 13:23:18 | More by Morris729
pezoids

4.63/5  rDev +40.7%

This beer poured out crystal clear, bright and golden. The head was white and frothy. Nice balance between the grain and the hops. Perfect bitterness. The finish was dry. I'm getting a slight pleasant sourness from this beer. In my opinion, this is a very good session beer and an almost flawless German lager. The price was well worth it @ $18.00 a case.

03-05-2003 17:28:11 | More by pezoids
BitteBier

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a decidedly clear, pale straw color. Topped with a hefty cake of white foam that dissipates quickly with some lacing, especially at the top of the glass. Clean, grassy nose with only faint hits of skunkiness. (Admittedly, I may be looking for some.) Taste is better than expected, though certainly not great. Light bready taste with a reasonably dry finish. Nothing complex here, but drinkability is noteworthy. Mouthfeel is oilier than preferred.

02-18-2003 18:07:52 | More by BitteBier
WilliamPhilaPa

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

(12oz bottle)-- The appearance is a clear straw yellow color/golden with a thin white lace. Sprity carbonation. On the nose the aroma is fairly clean, light grassy herbs, and some faint grain. Mouthfeel is crisp, tingly and a little spritzy. On the palate the flavor consisted of hop bitterness, hints of grain, little grassy and mild sweetness as it warms. Tasty brew...

02-08-2003 13:13:34 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
allboutbierge

Austria

3.93/5  rDev +19.5%

The whole case of green bottles my friend bought the other day made it to Meadville, PA all the way from Munich without going skunk. I've had several arguments about Lowenbrau being brewed by miller. Only one of their offering is actually brewed by miller and the rest I believe are imported to North America by Labatts. I could be wrong but thats what I have figured out on the topic.

Golden color with white head. Body is active with bubbles rapidly floating to top. This beer's aroma is one of its strong points. Rough aromas of bread and apples unconciously pull the drinkers mouth to the bottle. Flavor is much the same; this is a balanced brew. Little noticeable hop-like flavors. I could and did drink quite a few of these in a night.

Not bad for a $20 a case import, but there is much better domestic micros out there for comparable price.

02-04-2003 13:00:41 | More by allboutbierge
SaunaKing

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

A light, golden beer with a decent head that sticks to the side of the glass until your glass is empty. A mild hoppy aroma with not a lot of carbonation.

Taste is pretty smooth & clean but bland. No real aftertaste makes for a good zaufing (my anglo-phied translation of zaufen, German for guzzle according to my relatives) beer.

This is the 1st beer I remember my dad drinking when I was a kid so maybe it has a soft spot in my subconsious.

Overall its not bad but nothing to write home about.

01-24-2003 20:39:39 | More by SaunaKing
Rifrafboy

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This is the original German Lowenbrau, not the Miller knock-off. Pours pale straw, consistant with German pilsners. Not much head. Taste is a bit drier than most. Decent hoppiness. Malt is faint, but there. Aftertaste is dry with an alcohol twange. Overall, I liked it. I would buy it again if it was cheap.

01-03-2003 16:21:56 | More by Rifrafboy
StevieW

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Big brown bottle, blue label.
Shiny yellow straw color. Fizzy white head. Some off smells to start. Sour bread dough smell. Once over the smell, taste is crisp and refreshing. Bready malt presence, not grainy though. Hop kick is very refreshing. Dry finish, no aftertaste to mention. Easy to drink, light bodied. A good alternative beer to big boys. I had it with bachelors night dinner of leftover bbq chicken and mac and cheese.

12-27-2002 05:57:40 | More by StevieW