Löwenbräu Oktoberfestbier - Löwenbräu AG

Löwenbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Jason on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Löwenbräu Oktoberfestbier Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -65.6%

Very clear, pale, straw yellow colour with a bubbly white head that is about a thumbs width tall and stays pretty well.

Awful smelling, definitely one of the worst smelling German beer I have ever know. It is sour with some grassy hops and a smell that reminds me of urine.

Some light grassy hops and and an sour, citrus like taste. There is a very off-putting skunky bitterness to the beer too, this was is almost undrinkable.

Light bodied and with medium carbonation, the palate is fine but it is a major shame about the taste.

One of the worst beers I have ever tried. At first I thought the beer might be off but there was still a good 8 months left before the best before date; maybe it's just a shit beer.

My 1001 Beers Blog:

flyingpig, Jan 14, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -50.4%

Löwenbräu Oktoberfestbier, ABV: 6.1%.
500 ml bottle, 19.90 SEK at Systembolaget.

A: This beer pours a clear, pale, weak, golden liquid, and shows a big white, airy head.

S: A less than pleasing sourness hits the nose immediately, and I get malty aromas, with notes of bread, citrus, hay, yeast and some wet paper.

T: Malty flavours, citric notes, with sour, doughy bread, and a chemical bitterness. All-in-all it's kind of off-putting.

M: Average in most ways, a medium-sized body, but a sticky texture and no fresh crisp.

O: Why? This is pretty bad. Perhaps there was something wrong with my bottle (I have my doubts since I've seen the other ratings) - but if not: For shame! This is not a worthy Oktoberfestbier from a brewery based in Munich. Still I think: What do I know? I'm not a Bavarian ompa ompa enthusiast.

(Notes from yesterday.)

stjaernstoft, Sep 10, 2011

matjack85, Feb 02, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I found this to be a completely forgettable Oktoberfest. I'm not even sure that it is an Oktoberfest. It looked more like a light lager. It poured a clear pale yellow with no head at all. Since this was on tap, I gave it a second try at a different bar to make sure it wasn't the bar's fault. Nope, no head, no lacing, and very light carbonation.

I found no discernible aroma to go along with the lack of head and carbonation. The taste is slightly off for any German beer. I'm not sure what the brewery was trying to do with this beer. The only good point was that it was only $2.00 for a pint, but I poured out most of the second pint.

rdrummer, Nov 27, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale golden color with a short white head that soon vanishes completely. Looks more like an American macro than an Oktoberfest. Nose is rather subdued but a certain bready/crackery aroma is detectable. Taste is sweet bready malt and corn syrup along with a grassy herbalness and mildly peppery hop bitterness towards the end. Seems out of place for the style. Not recommended.

Morris729, Oct 09, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On draught at Winking Lizard. I didn’t want to spend the $8 to keep the fancy Löwenbräu glass. Pale straw color with a thin white head and thin slippery lacing. Light malt aroma. Thin-bodied and sweet with a malty flavor and just a bit of hops. The finish is short and relatively flavorless aside from a general sweetness. Below average.

Dogbrick, Sep 15, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -28.9%

This beer is served at the official Oktoberfest in Germany?

Maybe this is just a bottled import version?

It is very light yellow, but then again so was the Hofbräu Oktoberfest.

It smells sort of "skunky"

It tastes kind of "skunky" as well *
*NOTE: I had this beer in a mini-keg before this review of the bottled version and it tasted better.

It doesn't bite my tongue with bitterness and the carbination is not overbearing.

I drank 2 of these (out of six) and served the other 4 to guests (they're used to drinking Bud/Coors, so what the hell do they know about beer?).

JoeyBeerBelly, Mar 30, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

Yow! Er, I am confused by this Oktoberfestbier, 'cause this is sure coming across as more of a Helles or Pils. So know you wanna know why I didn't think it was all that..here goes: Crystal clear straw color, the white fluffy and frothy head was a bit impressive. It has since left me with just a little bit in the beer glass. Aroma, what's there to say, nothing spectacular, but clean graininess and some hay cut on top. Taste is not as good as it could be, but I an drinking this on Oktober 20, so yes, you could say that maybe I should have drunk it *during* Oktoberfest. Well, sorry I didn't. Anyway, tastewise, I am disapointed by the somewhat thick mouthfeel which hits me with a bunch of sweetness...this is one of the sweetess German brews I have ever had. And I'm not helped one bit by the too tired to come out carbonation. Sorry Lowenbrau, but I would avoid your tent in Munich if the beer tasted like this one does. Too sweet, slightly syrupy, there are better ones out there.

PatandDavid, Oct 21, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

This stuff is the color of apple juice. Perfectly clear light pale golden. With abundant amounts of carbonation rising very rapidly. Thin foamy white head. Bready aroma with noble hop accents as well. Almost more like the aroma of a pilsener rather than an Ofest. Good, but a little atypical. Breadiness dominates the palate, with some light-struck, degraded hop attributes contributing as well. Mouthfeel is a little too jacked up with carbonation. This is not at all what I expect from an ofest in appearance, aroma, taste or mouthfeel. I do not recommend.

Bighuge, Dec 01, 2004
2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

Very pale straw yellow color, with a white receding head. There is literally NO aroma here. Flavor is light and sweet and corny. There are faint hints of malt, but also a strange aftertaste that reminds me of the old American style Lowenbrau, a bit like burnt rubber. Watery mouthfeel. Very disappointed in this.

far333, Oct 09, 2003
2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz green bottle. Poured this into a pils glass it looks like a light lager more so than a marzen/oktoberfest. Very pale, almost a light yellow in color. White head leaves some spider web lace behind.

Sharp grain is the theme. Not the soft and mellowed out malts that I look forward to in this style. I will say that this beer worked its way out in the end. There is a small but zippy hop presence and if it would have finished a bit cleaner I'd reccomend this offering. It has a lingering cakey aspirin aftertaste and mouthfeel that ruined it for me. Even with all my complaints this is still very drinkable and it was enjoyable if for no other reason the nice snappy splash about 3/4 of the way through. Some underlying spices but nothing to get excited about.

Notes: Ehhhh. Much better options out there.

DogFood11, Jun 09, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

At the Senator's lounge in Munchen airport and i'm trying the Lowenbrau Oktoberfest beer. It poured a pure golden yellow with thin white head that is not lacing. The scent has grain and a touch of maize. The taste is a bit brutal...the 6% being very prominent and does not make this beer an easy session....in my opinion. THe mouthfeel is light to medium in body with good carbonation. Overall I prefer a standard Euro lager to this.

WoodBrew, Sep 23, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Clear pale yellow with a head that fades quick. Looks like any other standard european lager.

A touch of spice on the nose with a fair bit of sulfur. I like the slight hop presence, but overall not that appealing.

The taste is a little sweet malt with some not-very-well hidden alcohol. The back end is a bitter for the style but has a harshness.

Strange, harsh mouthfeel.

The alcohol comes through way too much and there's too much sulfur in the nose and a harsh bitterness in the aftertaste.

I was hoping this would grow on me as I got through the half liter, but alas, it got worse.
In the bottom two for me in regards to the Munich O'fests(the other one is Hofbrau.)

mmmbirra, Sep 27, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving traces lace. Clear light amber color. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Slight skunky nose. Starts almost sweet becomes more hoppy with a drying bitter after taste. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Jan 27, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled a 12 ounce serving from a green bottle. No Freshness dating, but it is October. This is a very light, very clear brew. Medium buble head, that sticks around for a good long while, as does some lacing. Light would also fairly and accuratly characerize the flavor of this Octoberfest. A subtle sweetness exists but no much else. Needs some malty notes to get it into the O'fest neighborhoood. Pleasant enough light sessioner, but not my favorite o'fest brew.

Billolick, Oct 27, 2004

uziangis, Jan 13, 2012

pin, Dec 12, 2013

jmtpi, Oct 24, 2013

Gusmotel, Nov 11, 2013

Jerid, Aug 25, 2012

A straw colored yellow beer (not as dark as one would expect from an Octoberfest beer). Big white head and good lace. The aroma was light, grassy, lemony and with a hint of malt carmel in the background. The flavor was also light with some grainy sweetness an a light hop finish.

ybnorml, Dec 30, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

i was very muchso underwhemled here. this one isn't poorly made, per se, but lacks any sort of originality, and is just not as bold as i would have expected from an o'fest. it pours a very disappointing light yellow colour, with a fuzzy body and thin fizzy head. the smell was a tad sweet, with some malt present, but overall was fairly average and lackluster, as was the flavour. i would have malted this one up some more to give it some more flavour. at times it jsut felt like i was drinking fizzy water. if i wouldn't have poured it myself i could have easily mistaken this one for a beck's or st pauli girl at times. this is an o'fest that i could drink again but wouldn't necessarily want to.

SixpointJMH, Aug 31, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Was somewhat malty and true to the oktoberfest style, but still had that twangy, macro brew, skunky feel to it and taste. It is drinkable, however, maybe because I had it on tap at Germany in Epcot at disney and the sun was shining on a cool February day. Not bad, it is worth a try, but much better Oktoberfests are out there.

bigdeuce, May 03, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

I had this over summer at the Arts Fest in State College PA -my roommate had bought a case of it. I found it to be a quite refreshing beverage drunk straight from the bottle before going out to the bars. I recently picked some up when I saw it at a local pizza shop and thought it would be a good subject for my first beer review.

Pours nice light golden color with a big white foamy head that takes a while to dissipate. The color is too light for an oktoberfest. Nose is malty with some grassy hops. Starts off with a bit of sweet malt and finishes with some citrusy hops to balance it out. Slightly dry with a light/medium body and plenty of carbonation. Definitely drinkable and very refreshing on a summer evening but overall this is not too exciting and not as good as I had remembered it.

burnstar, Aug 15, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

0.5 l bottled from Systembolaget. Pours quite a large, frothy head. Very light colour and a bit of fizz. The aroma is pleasant but not very interesting. It is malty as in bready but there's some floral hops as well. The taste begins sweet and a little sour (yeasty) and ends more bitter. Very pilsner-like. There's is some carbonation in the beer, but most of all it doesn't hide the alcohol very well. I could clearly sense some alcohol in the finishing of the taste. The after-taste is not that long.

VsXsV, Sep 06, 2010