1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale - Keweenaw Brewing Company

Olde Ore Dock Scottish AleOlde Ore Dock Scottish Ale

Keweenaw Brewing Company visit their website

Scottish Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: bishopdc0 on 01-17-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 45 | Reviews: 17 | Show All Ratings:
StoutHunter

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Keweenaw Brewing Company's Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.43 at Toskey Sands Market. I've never had this beer before and I've haven't seen it around so I thought I should pick up a can to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice, it's not the most eye catching can, but it does a nice job at showing what it's named after. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice, but the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of malts that impart a caramel malt, lightly toasted, grainy and brown bread like aromas with some nice caramel aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some dark fruit aromas with a slight smokey aroma in the background and there's also a light sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma that's right on par for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a nice caramel malt, lightly toasted and brown bread like flavors with some nice caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a very slight smokey flavor with an equally light alcohol flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a pretty malty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Scottish Ale, but I thought it was a little one dimensional.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad but it was too crisp for the style and I thought that it could be a little thicker, it's slightly watery as it is.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty standard example of the style, it had some of those nice flavors and aromas that I look for in the style, but it also had some off aspects that held it back from being as good as it could be. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and not filing, but the carbonation and lack of depth might start to wear on me, but the body does make it more drinkable than most of the style. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little thin and it was too crisp for the style. I don't think I would buy this again, if I'm in the mood for the style I would rather have a Dirty Bastard. I don't think I would recommend this beer, since there are many other Scottish Ales that are better. All in all I thought this beer fell right about in the middle, it wasn't a bad beer, but it lacked the mouthfeel and depth that a good Scottish Ale has. I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

11-06-2013 04:39:27 | More by StoutHunter
1Nrwyscotch

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%

A 12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance. A wonderful amber color with about two fingers of just off white head. some lacing as it disappeared.

Smell. I cant pick up much, some smoky malt and some coffee notes.

Taste. It tastes like a light Scotch Beer. its sweet and has some hops but not to much for flavor. Its not a favorite.

Mouthfeel. It has a medium body with a creamy feel.

Overall. This is really middle of the road, it easy drinking but just not much flavor.

11-14-2012 02:06:33 | More by 1Nrwyscotch
RblWthACoz

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is an okay scotch ale. It certainly hints to the nuances of the style, but keeps it fairly subtle. Smooth and easy drinking beer. This is pretty good, considering the style is one that you don't really see too often; not to mention the quality of the brew.

08-31-2012 02:52:31 | More by RblWthACoz
srv33

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Amber pour, thick white head, little lacng. Hops, and citrus smell, vanilla. Tastes oddly hoppy considering the style, slightly sweet, toast, peanut, honey flavors. Less broadly pleasant and balanced than their Widowmaker, still a good beer from a solid brewery.

06-29-2012 22:57:54 | More by srv33
groovemonster

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

I was hoping to find something i like from Keweenaw Brewing after my last review of their widow maker wasn't to positive. I bought a single can of this scottish ale today. Keeping in mind my standard for this style is Founders Dirty Bastard. I really didnt expect it to be as good but i was hoping for a good showing.
I got a bit of earthy nutty-ness at first, that slowly sweetened to a malty sweetness. Fairly simple flavors going on, nothing complex or particularly robust...nothing off either. You get a very late sweet alcohol taste in your throat that really take this beer from blah to better. I enjoy the warmth of the alcohol with the sweetness. considering the lower end pricing i just may end up drinking more of this in the future.

Disclaimer: I cant smell but it hasn't curbed my ability to enjoy fine brews. It has only curbed my ability to tell you what it smells like.
I ALWAYS drink from the bottle...I almost never know what the beer looks like...not even sure why thats important.
I don't know the difference between a growler and a snifter, and I dont think anything shaped like a tulip should have beer in it!

Mouth feel? that just sound offensive...:) is this a serious thing?

I am an irreverent beer snob!

12-10-2011 23:41:56 | More by groovemonster
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at the brewpub - Nov 25, 2007. Aroma comes forth with some light wet graham-cracker crust aroma. Lightly soggy and woody. Pours a rather ruddy stained oak-brown. Burnished and with a quickly fading off-white head. Flavor is a mildly endearing caramel, backed with nibbles of cheap bourbon, and hazlenut, toasted bread. Nutty, but somewhat bland. Above average gravity for this brewery, which is nice. Lightly warming and sugary. Finishes with some highly leafy crispness.

11-23-2011 18:18:24 | More by CharlesDarwin
brdc

Wisconsin

From a can poured into a snifter.

The color is light brown to bronze, clear when held to light. Minimal and fast fading head is off white, with no lacing.
Aroma is malty as expected, but lacks power and complexity. Rather thin, it shows malty flavors of bread, some caramel, possibly minimal molasses, but I guess I am just looking too hard to find flavors here.
A bit sweet, but not too much. It unfortunately lacks depth, complexity and body. Passable.

08-04-2011 02:02:00 | More by brdc
tone77

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

A big shout out to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bronze color with a 1 inch head. Smell is sweet and malty. Taste also has considerable sweetness, lots of malts, some brown sugar maybe. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

07-23-2011 14:36:31 | More by tone77
woodychandler

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

The CANQuest (TM) CANnot be stopped, no matter how many hatas come out of their wormy woodwork to get in my way! My main man, GrappyPunk (w/much love and 'spect, bro), sent this to me and I gotta get off of the bottles. People are starting to talk about my CANmitment and that CANnot be good for any of us.

From the CAN (that CAN become a hat, Bob willing): "The Keweenaw Brewing Company, located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, was founded with the goal of turning beer drinkers into craft beer lovers."; "A traditional Scottish Ale, this dark brown beer focuses on malt color and flavor with hops being almost imperceptible. Aged with Ameri[CAN] Oak, this ale finishes crisp and just a wee bit sweet."; Built in 1912, Marquette's ore Dock was an integral part of transforming the vast mineral resources of Michigan's Upper Peninsula to the industrial cities of the lower Great Lakes. The dock revolutionized the shipping industry and the transportation of iron ore, allowing rail cars to unload iron ore (Taconite Pellets) by gravity to huge lake freighters positioned below."; "From a Family of Fine Ales".

The Crack & Glug was sweet, sweet music to my bottle-addled ears! I love both the auditory and visual nature of reviewing a CANned beer and if you CANnot dig what I am saying, you have been missing out. I got a foamy, rocky tawny finger with moderate retention from my pour. As I watched it fall, I was reminded of tonight's theme: "Bump Xmas, Let's Have Hallowe'en/Thanksgiving in July" because its deep orangish-amber color reminded me of a glowing Jack o'Lantern in my glass. The nose was malty sweet, not far removed from a maple sweetness, reinforcing my theme de la nuit. Whoops, still some bleed-over from Belgium Independence Day yesterday. Mouthfeel was rather thin with a light smoky sweetness on the tongue. Hmm, did a previous reviewer mention 60-shilling? Finish was likewise kind of thin and muted. If you are a big fan of Scottish Ales, this may not be your bag, but as a self-avowed hophead, this was about as much malt as I could handle.

Finally, did anyone note the hull number and registry of the freighter? "KBC Five" and "Houghton, MI". Ha! It's a sailor thing, if you landlubbers feel left out.

P. S. I CAN take great pride in it being a CAN review that propelled me into Pooh-Bah status. Hatas CAN hate, but The CANQuest (TM) rolls on unabated.

07-23-2011 00:44:09 | More by woodychandler
GRPunk

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Re-reviewed after abandoning an infected can.

Can dated 11/04/26 (about 2-3 months fresher than previous attempt) poured into a mug.

A- A moderate pour created a 2-finger, khaki head that sustains at a good 1/2-finger and leaves good rings on the glass. Clean, copper/garnet body with lots of carb. Gone are the floaties, murky color, and thin head from the previous attempt.

S- Very sweet. Lots of brown sugar/caramel with hints of wood in the aroma. Can mentioned it was aged on oak. Still some hints of fruity esters (grape skins or berry-like), but not as overwhelming as my previous experience.

T- Rich flavor. Caramel and brown sugar as noted in the aroma. Roasty, almost smokey flavor. A touch of sour malt, perhaps influenced by the woody infusion. Some dark bread flavors. Overall, quite sweet. Much improved from the very sour attributes in the last can.

M- Quite heavily carbonated without becoming "fizzy." Overall, a moderate feel, nicely viscus. The right side of becoming too syrupy.

O- This beer is much better when the can hasn't been compromised. Decent overall. I'd like to see some more of the traditional Scottish attributes. While I know this isn't meant to be a Wee Heavy, I think they could still get some more smokey notes.

07-04-2011 01:15:35 | More by GRPunk
Chaz

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a medium amber/brown in color, with what looks to be a slight chill haze, and topped with a darker tan head and just about the right amount of sticky lace.

As this is a newly-introduced brand from this brewery (and I am not local to the U.P.) I wasn't sure if this was to be a lighter, 80-shilling-styled offering or a Wee Heavy, but it certainly leans toward the former.

Nose is lightly-tangy (and tannic), but offers-up some softer malt and very little in the way of a hop presence. A lighter metallic note is also present. Sweet-ish, but not sweet -- strikes me as a "session-style" offering...

Upon my fist sip my main impression is of a smooth and creamy beer, seemingly a nitro or co-mingled beer, and one with only a subtle malt sweetness to it. This sweetness is countered with a malt profile which alternates between soft, biscuit malt notes (Maris Otter, Pale) and a light astringency from tannins -- after reading the beer's description at the website I re-considered my initial tasting impressions, and now know that the tanginess I perceived here was due not to infection but to the barrels this one had been placed in while it aged, and I feel much better about that fact.

With a good mouthfeel and finish and being a solid tipple altogether I'd say that Olde Ore Dock is probably exactly what the brewer wanted to achieve, and that's a good thing to my mind.

Of course, I understand the beer rating hobby enough to know that this beer will be poorly thought-of hereabouts ("not enough hops, wrong kind of sour character, to little alcohol for a Scotch ale", etc) and them's the breaks when it comes to being a commercial brewer.

Served chilled, in a Willibecher.

NOTE: The bottom of the can is coded with a packaged-on date of 02/23/11.

05-31-2011 17:39:27 | More by Chaz
nicksta

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

It's a nice looking brew. It's red, orange and brown in the middle. Dark and opaque on top and gold on the bottom. Beautiful range of colors. The smell is sweet caramel. It's diverse like the appearance, but not strong enough. Hints of citrus and cinnamon. Crisp apple. The taste is enjoyable. Good candy caramel malts, although a little light. A hint of sour yeast and crisp, sour apple finish round out the taste. Could use more hops. Mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Fairly thick, but silky smooth and as drinkable as the best of them.

05-16-2011 21:32:48 | More by nicksta
MrGraybeard

1.98/5  rDev -41.8%

Pouring from a cooled can into a 14-ounce tumbler produced a nice, persistent head. Color is light for a Scotch ale, this is almost an amber. Beer is a bit cloudy.

Metallic, slight sourness prevails in the nose. Where, oh where, is the malt?

Taste is also sour, totally lacking in malty punch. Heavy it ain't.

Mouthfeel is a little better than expected, consistent with the head. There's some malt there, but perhaps the wrong variety.

Overall, this is a failure. It's an average amber -- maybe slightly below average even in that genre. The maker of this beer has no clue.

05-11-2011 04:58:57 | More by MrGraybeard
beerprovedwright

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My sister brought me this from the Marquette MI. Three finger head of thick light brown foam. Dense lace with little cling. Color is a 25 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell of smoke, roasted malt, and oak. Taste of malt, and hops, and smoked oak. Mouthfeel is creamy and quite full with a little drying in the back of my throat. Not bad, quite refreshing, and more flavor as it warms. I would have more, but it is unavailable down in the south.

04-11-2011 18:01:20 | More by beerprovedwright
GoldenChild

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer is not one of there best that is for sure seems to be really thin to me and alls i could taste was bacon when i drank it. I have never been a fan of smoked beers. it does have a clean finish to it though. Sorry about the vague description i have drank several great beers tonight including a rochefort 10

I love the red jacket amber ale that is my go to beer.

03-13-2011 04:59:42 | More by GoldenChild
gnemesis

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz bottle poured into snifter on 2/28/2011.
A dark amber/copper liquid fills the glass while big, creamy foam perches it's self high above the ale. The head fades quick and leaves little lacing. The nose of this beer is all malt. Nothing in this is too roasty or smokey but a mellow blend of sweetness. Perhaps a touch of honey and the oak is hardly noticeable but present. Not a hop in sight nor peat which is a slight disappointment. Once I start to sip I can detect a slight hop bitterness and a bit of smoke. The flavors in this are quite simple- sweet malts and a touch of butterscotch/caramel. The oak presents itself but if I had not read about it I might not have noticed. The thin body is a turnoff for me but the medium carbonation level saves it from disaster. This is a pretty average example of a wonderful scotch style... better examples exist.

03-03-2011 04:03:57 | More by gnemesis
bishopdc0

Maine

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

"A traditional Scottish ale, this darker beer focuses on malt color and flavor with hops being almost imperceptible. This ale, aged with American Red Oak, finishes crisp and a wee bit sweet."

Poured a copper amber color with a white head. The head laces well but dissipates to the glasses edge.

The nose is sweet with a oak wood nose backed by malty caramel.

The taste is nice what you expect from the description. It starts with a light carbonation on the tongue, sweet malty, caramel with an sweet oaky finish. The mouth is very smooth throughout not harsh in the mouth, and the oak sets it apart from other scotch ales

01-17-2011 02:09:31 | More by bishopdc0