Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale - Keweenaw Brewing Company

Olde Ore Dock Scottish AleOlde Ore Dock Scottish Ale

Keweenaw Brewing Company visit their website

Scottish Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: bishopdc0 on 01-17-2011)

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Likely some of the same notes/comparisons on this beer as others... poured from a 12oz can into my snifter. Finger of tan head faded fast... however, this beer was a real looker. Deep mahogany tones, blood red shone through when held in the light. Nicest aspect by far. Malt to the nose... and about only that. Some oak to taste, a bit malt-forward, but not heavy. Seemed light for the style. a bit watery, but somewhat redeemed by the crispness. Overall, a bit lacking. In the right situation like a lawnmowing adventure, long day of sessioning (homebrewing, fishing), this might actually hit the spot. On a work night, when I limit myself to one beer, I would rather reach for something a bit more substantial.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Keweenaw Brewing Company's Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.43 at Toskey Sands Market. I've never had this beer before and I've haven't seen it around so I thought I should pick up a can to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice, it's not the most eye catching can, but it does a nice job at showing what it's named after. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice, but the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of malts that impart a caramel malt, lightly toasted, grainy and brown bread like aromas with some nice caramel aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some dark fruit aromas with a slight smokey aroma in the background and there's also a light sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma that's right on par for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a nice caramel malt, lightly toasted and brown bread like flavors with some nice caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a very slight smokey flavor with an equally light alcohol flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a pretty malty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Scottish Ale, but I thought it was a little one dimensional.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad but it was too crisp for the style and I thought that it could be a little thicker, it's slightly watery as it is.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty standard example of the style, it had some of those nice flavors and aromas that I look for in the style, but it also had some off aspects that held it back from being as good as it could be. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and not filing, but the carbonation and lack of depth might start to wear on me, but the body does make it more drinkable than most of the style. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little thin and it was too crisp for the style. I don't think I would buy this again, if I'm in the mood for the style I would rather have a Dirty Bastard. I don't think I would recommend this beer, since there are many other Scottish Ales that are better. All in all I thought this beer fell right about in the middle, it wasn't a bad beer, but it lacked the mouthfeel and depth that a good Scottish Ale has. I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%