Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale - Keweenaw Brewing Company

Olde Ore Dock Scottish AleOlde Ore Dock Scottish Ale

Keweenaw Brewing Company visit their website

Scottish Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: bishopdc0 on 01-17-2011)
Reviews by srv33:
3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

Amber pour, thick white head, little lacng. Hops, and citrus smell, vanilla. Tastes oddly hoppy considering the style, slightly sweet, toast, peanut, honey flavors. Less broadly pleasant and balanced than their Widowmaker, still a good beer from a solid brewery.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

"A traditional Scottish ale, this darker beer focuses on malt color and flavor with hops being almost imperceptible. This ale, aged with American Red Oak, finishes crisp and a wee bit sweet."

Poured a copper amber color with a white head. The head laces well but dissipates to the glasses edge.

The nose is sweet with a oak wood nose backed by malty caramel.

The taste is nice what you expect from the description. It starts with a light carbonation on the tongue, sweet malty, caramel with an sweet oaky finish. The mouth is very smooth throughout not harsh in the mouth, and the oak sets it apart from other scotch ales

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at the brewpub - Nov 25, 2007. Aroma comes forth with some light wet graham-cracker crust aroma. Lightly soggy and woody. Pours a rather ruddy stained oak-brown. Burnished and with a quickly fading off-white head. Flavor is a mildly endearing caramel, backed with nibbles of cheap bourbon, and hazlenut, toasted bread. Nutty, but somewhat bland. Above average gravity for this brewery, which is nice. Lightly warming and sugary. Finishes with some highly leafy crispness.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

3.73/5  rDev +10%

A big shout out to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bronze color with a 1 inch head. Smell is sweet and malty. Taste also has considerable sweetness, lots of malts, some brown sugar maybe. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Keweenaw Brewing Company's Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.43 at Toskey Sands Market. I've never had this beer before and I've haven't seen it around so I thought I should pick up a can to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice, it's not the most eye catching can, but it does a nice job at showing what it's named after. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice, but the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of malts that impart a caramel malt, lightly toasted, grainy and brown bread like aromas with some nice caramel aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some dark fruit aromas with a slight smokey aroma in the background and there's also a light sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma that's right on par for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a nice caramel malt, lightly toasted and brown bread like flavors with some nice caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a very slight smokey flavor with an equally light alcohol flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a pretty malty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Scottish Ale, but I thought it was a little one dimensional.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad but it was too crisp for the style and I thought that it could be a little thicker, it's slightly watery as it is.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty standard example of the style, it had some of those nice flavors and aromas that I look for in the style, but it also had some off aspects that held it back from being as good as it could be. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, and not filing, but the carbonation and lack of depth might start to wear on me, but the body does make it more drinkable than most of the style. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little thin and it was too crisp for the style. I don't think I would buy this again, if I'm in the mood for the style I would rather have a Dirty Bastard. I don't think I would recommend this beer, since there are many other Scottish Ales that are better. All in all I thought this beer fell right about in the middle, it wasn't a bad beer, but it lacked the mouthfeel and depth that a good Scottish Ale has. I think with a little bit of work this could be a pretty good beer.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My sister brought me this from the Marquette MI. Three finger head of thick light brown foam. Dense lace with little cling. Color is a 25 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell of smoke, roasted malt, and oak. Taste of malt, and hops, and smoked oak. Mouthfeel is creamy and quite full with a little drying in the back of my throat. Not bad, quite refreshing, and more flavor as it warms. I would have more, but it is unavailable down in the south.

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

The CANQuest (TM) CANnot be stopped, no matter how many hatas come out of their wormy woodwork to get in my way! My main man, GrappyPunk (w/much love and 'spect, bro), sent this to me and I gotta get off of the bottles. People are starting to talk about my CANmitment and that CANnot be good for any of us.

From the CAN (that CAN become a hat, Bob willing): "The Keweenaw Brewing Company, located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, was founded with the goal of turning beer drinkers into craft beer lovers."; "A traditional Scottish Ale, this dark brown beer focuses on malt color and flavor with hops being almost imperceptible. Aged with Ameri[CAN] Oak, this ale finishes crisp and just a wee bit sweet."; Built in 1912, Marquette's ore Dock was an integral part of transforming the vast mineral resources of Michigan's Upper Peninsula to the industrial cities of the lower Great Lakes. The dock revolutionized the shipping industry and the transportation of iron ore, allowing rail cars to unload iron ore (Taconite Pellets) by gravity to huge lake freighters positioned below."; "From a Family of Fine Ales".

The Crack & Glug was sweet, sweet music to my bottle-addled ears! I love both the auditory and visual nature of reviewing a CANned beer and if you CANnot dig what I am saying, you have been missing out. I got a foamy, rocky tawny finger with moderate retention from my pour. As I watched it fall, I was reminded of tonight's theme: "Bump Xmas, Let's Have Hallowe'en/Thanksgiving in July" because its deep orangish-amber color reminded me of a glowing Jack o'Lantern in my glass. The nose was malty sweet, not far removed from a maple sweetness, reinforcing my theme de la nuit. Whoops, still some bleed-over from Belgium Independence Day yesterday. Mouthfeel was rather thin with a light smoky sweetness on the tongue. Hmm, did a previous reviewer mention 60-shilling? Finish was likewise kind of thin and muted. If you are a big fan of Scottish Ales, this may not be your bag, but as a self-avowed hophead, this was about as much malt as I could handle.

Finally, did anyone note the hull number and registry of the freighter? "KBC Five" and "Houghton, MI". Ha! It's a sailor thing, if you landlubbers feel left out.

P. S. I CAN take great pride in it being a CAN review that propelled me into Pooh-Bah status. Hatas CAN hate, but The CANQuest (TM) rolls on unabated.

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

Pouring from a cooled can into a 14-ounce tumbler produced a nice, persistent head. Color is light for a Scotch ale, this is almost an amber. Beer is a bit cloudy.

Metallic, slight sourness prevails in the nose. Where, oh where, is the malt?

Taste is also sour, totally lacking in malty punch. Heavy it ain't.

Mouthfeel is a little better than expected, consistent with the head. There's some malt there, but perhaps the wrong variety.

Overall, this is a failure. It's an average amber -- maybe slightly below average even in that genre. The maker of this beer has no clue.

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle poured into snifter on 2/28/2011.
A dark amber/copper liquid fills the glass while big, creamy foam perches it's self high above the ale. The head fades quick and leaves little lacing. The nose of this beer is all malt. Nothing in this is too roasty or smokey but a mellow blend of sweetness. Perhaps a touch of honey and the oak is hardly noticeable but present. Not a hop in sight nor peat which is a slight disappointment. Once I start to sip I can detect a slight hop bitterness and a bit of smoke. The flavors in this are quite simple- sweet malts and a touch of butterscotch/caramel. The oak presents itself but if I had not read about it I might not have noticed. The thin body is a turnoff for me but the medium carbonation level saves it from disaster. This is a pretty average example of a wonderful scotch style... better examples exist.

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

It's a nice looking brew. It's red, orange and brown in the middle. Dark and opaque on top and gold on the bottom. Beautiful range of colors. The smell is sweet caramel. It's diverse like the appearance, but not strong enough. Hints of citrus and cinnamon. Crisp apple. The taste is enjoyable. Good candy caramel malts, although a little light. A hint of sour yeast and crisp, sour apple finish round out the taste. Could use more hops. Mouthfeel is the best part of the beer. Fairly thick, but silky smooth and as drinkable as the best of them.

Olde Ore Dock Scottish Ale from Keweenaw Brewing Company