Tri-Pepper Pilsener - Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Tri-Pepper Pilsener
No picture uploaded.

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown) visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: cokes on 07-12-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
BrownAleMale

07-28-2013 06:43:31 | More by BrownAleMale
AgentZero

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

TO: MasterSki
c/o CCR

Friend and Good Sir:

Our friend and generous sir Ethan recently procurred a growler of this beer to commemorate the anniversary of our country's independece. To one who originally resides in lands far away, I salute you for celebrating our day with us, even if it does not hold the same significance for yourself.

I do find your public discourse on a this beer we consumed together rather curious. I do agree with your finding that the brew was a fine and good stylistic example of what a pilsener should look like, with its transparent golden color, and white head.

Unlike yourself, I found the smell and taste to be less than desirable. The smell of fresh green and other bell peppers is pleasant enough, but in a beer, it is at best a novelty and woefully misplaced.

The taste was much the same, some light pilsner style malt and the shockingly strong taste of bell peppers. It led me to the question, why would you this much green pepper in a beer? Why would you put any green pepper in a beer? The garnishing of your glass with a yellow bell peppers seemed to me like the fire department turning a flame-thrower onto a burning building. Adding more of a bad thing to a bad thing does not make a good thing.

While the body and carbonation were appropriate, I did not find this beer to be "Excellent" as you have indicated, rather a bizzare take on a style that doesn't have the needed muscle to stand up to the overly vegetable addition. If we do encounter this again, I will gladly pass my serving onto yourself.

Cheers!

AZ

07-06-2011 16:47:46 | More by AgentZero
bpfrush

11-14-2011 19:52:07 | More by bpfrush
CuriousMonk

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Sampled on draught at the downtown Madison, Wisconsin brewpub. Pours a clear golden copper brew with a creamy off white head that has some excellent retention and lacing. Aroma of green and red bell peppers, a touch of golden grain malt and more herbal spices. Taste is medium bodied, light carbonated with distinct green bell peppers, golden grain malt and black pepper. Finish starts mildly spicy and then a lingering spice burn that slowly goes away. Woo, this beer doesn't cut it for me! This beer is perfect for someone looking for an interesting challenge for his/her taste buds.

06-20-2011 21:19:11 | More by CuriousMonk

05-12-2012 12:30:44 | More by seeswo
leftmindedrighty

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Enjoyed on tap at the Great Dane Pub

A shade or two darker than golden, with some floaties in the beer.

Smell, I don't know. The smell kind of hurts my nose a bit. Seriously.

Taste, ow, it burns. Good and hoppy Pils body, delicate balance with nice flavors. And with a huge pepper hit. Its not subtle, it'll burn your nose and throat. But that is its purpose after all. The pepper really distracts my taste buds though.

Overall, very unique, and kudos to the brewing staff for brewing outside the box. I had a 4oz sample, and that is pretty much all I would want.

06-24-2008 16:19:14 | More by leftmindedrighty
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Enjoyed on tap at the downtown brewpub. I expected to enjoy this chile beer, and I did. One of thei best. Lacey thpugh light coloured. 30 IBU and 5.4% abv but the story is the hot peppers and its freshness was enjoyable. Fuller mouthfeel, I drank this down and it was refreshing and spicy.

09-09-2011 02:45:25 | More by Sammy
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Tri Pepper Pils pours a golden color with no head. There is a strong hot pepper aroma, a mixture of many different peppers. Taste has a mellow but noticeable malty backbone, with lots of pepper spices. Full flavors, especially with the pepper flavors. Overall a very nice and rich pepper infused beer.

08-19-2013 03:05:48 | More by vette2006c5r

09-02-2013 02:19:11 | More by KellyScottMad
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Huge thanks to Ethan (whartontallboy) for knocking off a longtime want. Served in a Russian River tulip, with yellow and orange pepper garnish.

A - A finger of white foam quickly settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, leaving a few spots of lace. Transparent golden color. Looks like a pilsener alright.

S - Green bell peppers. Perhaps some red pepper too. Black pepper? Not much else to report here.

T - The taste has a bit of pilsner malt sweetness, but it is well into the periphery. Pretty much tastes like bell peppers, with perhaps a hint of jalapeño.

M - A crisp refreshing lager. Medium-light in body, with a little lower carbonation than I prefer. Chili pepper heat is present in the finish, but never reaches atomic levels.

D - I refilled my glasses a few times, but I think I liked this one far more than most. I suspect a third of the growler will be used for cooking, but I imagine the results will be quite delicious. If you like peppers and chili beer this is a must-try.

07-05-2011 13:48:56 | More by MasterSki
Tone

Missouri

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of strong pepper! Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Wow, what a spicy burn. Tastes of great fresh peppers (used to other chile beers with nothing close to this flavor of freshness) and some very slight yeast cleanliness. Overall, easily the best chile beer I've ever had.

06-01-2009 04:45:51 | More by Tone
Duff27

01-29-2012 23:16:51 | More by Duff27
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

on tap @ the Great Dane downtown

Pours a pale yellow color - it actually starts to look a little darker in the middle, very clear, with kind of a thin head. It leaves a little lacing, but not a whole lot. The smell of dried peppers rises up to my nose, like red pepper flakes - that's the first bit that I smell. Then you get the flesh, like a fresh cut bell or jalapeno. I can also smell a bit of earthy, kind of herbal hops. There's a hint of powdery malts, but still smells very dry. The peppers smell a bit scary...I'm afraid of the burn a little, but this has to be the best chile beer I've ever smelled. The taste starts and finishes with pepper...pepper...pepper. It's not all spice though, to be honest. There's a good taste of the pepper's flesh, which I really love. There's a nice crispness to the heat. It sort of comes up, suggests to you that it's there, then fades a bit in the finish. The malt flavor is a bit powdery, like freshly crushed pale and pilsenser malts, but I'll be goddamned if the peppers don't get there first. The spice is really incredible, not bad incredible, but the kind of spice I love. This one again, stand up higher than most of the competition, while still not being the most enjoyable style. The head really adds to the feel of this beer, whether in your mouth or your stomach. Makes it feel a bit full, though I imagine that the beer itself is a bit on the thin side of medium. Either way, it kind of feels like a pilsenser, but with a bit of fire. This one is definitely a sipper. I actually really enjoy it though. Worth a show if you go to the brewpub and are looking to cross a style off the list. Or if you're a fan of a bit of spice. A good beer.

07-06-2009 22:41:13 | More by taylorhamrick
tipabu

03-04-2014 00:55:50 | More by tipabu
DaPeculierDane

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Thrown off by the “Pilsner Label” as this beer came to the table a slightly cloudy blood-orange gold with a thin creamy white head. Retention is good. Carbonation streams are difficult to see but ever present.

Aroma is more fitting of the Pils title with plenty of broken crackers, dried biscuits, and cracked pepper. It’s not as clean as a Pils, not by a long shot, but heck, this supposedly has peppers in it so what can one expect. Surprisingly, the pepper is not a major presence in the aroma. Black pepper yes, but chilies, jalapeños, Bell? Hardly.

Taste is impressive. I expected to want to wretch, a ritual I go through before each sampling of a chili beer. The waiter had even warned me calling this beer, “heart burn in a glass.” Instead I found sweet bready malts, minerals, and German (Saaz?) hops. The pepper was sublimely subtle. I had a hard time laying my tongue on the three peppers used in this beer. Black pepper is evident but what could the other two be? From the flavor I would guess White Pepper, Bell or maybe Poblano - something fairly mild at any rate. Slowly, however, the intensity of the spice grows, starting in the back of the throat, moving down toward the belly, and then finally back up hitting the middle of the palate. A pleasurable warmness, but not hotness, envelops the mouth and throat.

I finished the beer and could have had another, or three. Perhaps this was a first with a chili beer. The Dane really nailed this one. They got the style. This beer carries a punch but the key is that it’s still beer. I can taste malts and hops. I can fell the spice but I don’t need a roll of tums after each glass. The perfect balance between chili and beer has been struck here. Pretty surprising and cool beer.

Update: 2007 version, when fresh is insanely spicy. It is also clear this year. Made from Poblano, Habanero, and one other pepper, Cayenne I think... Really, this beer is hot. It causes bumps to form on the roof of my mouth.

06-26-2006 15:59:45 | More by DaPeculierDane
Bighuge

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Pale copper. One finger (middle finger, that is) sized crown of off white head. Retention is good and the lacing comes in moderate sized patches. Nice, nice aroma. The base is solidly pilsner-like, with crackers, bready malts and floral hops. Sprinkled upon that is cracked black pepper. (Or is it red pepper?? White pepper?? Chile pepper??) Anyway, something like that, but the peppery traits are subdued nicely on the nose. Onto the palate. Uh, there's a little bit more pepper noticed. Well, maybe a bit more than a "little bit." This has got some heat (from the pepper) but it's not out of hand as most "chile" beers are. The pepper character seems derived from chile or jalapeno varieties. The base malt backing is very solid. Again, very pilsner like in character. Bready. Some floral hops. There's a very noticeable "hot" taste that lingers for quite some time. But damn if this isn't a tasty brew. Never thought I'd be able to drain a growler of "chile" beer as easily as I forsee this being. Shit, I'm halfway through this fucking growler and I've barely blinked. I wish I had about a half dozen of those fucking chicken chalupas to pair this with..."baja style."

Thanks for my finest "chile beer" experience yet cokes.

07-28-2005 02:48:34 | More by Bighuge
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Tri-Pepper Pilsener from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)