Oktopplebock - Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Oktopplebock
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown) visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: cokes on 03-01-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.55/5  rDev n/a

Absolutely outstanding. Re-released for bockfest 06 and I am so happy to see it back. I was worried upon ordering it that it might have aged poorly as it is now quite out of season but boy my fears were unwarranted. This is one hell of a brew.

Appearance – beautiful Marzen orange with a thin uber creamy white head.

Smell – Pumpkins and rich fall caramelled apples.

Taste/MF rich and creamy like grandma’s homemade pumpkin pie with fresh german whip cream on top. Subtle raisons, carmels, figs, and other 2xbock flavors enter as well.

Drinkability – I would get sick of the pumpkin after a while. Otherwise this one would have been perfect.

4.35/5  rDev n/a

Enjoyed on-tap at the Great Dane in downtown Madison.

Served a crystal clear dark amber color with a spottty tan head. Nose is heavy on the malts, with some hoppy and fruity notes. Taste starts off like a standard dopplebock with rich caramel barley malts but is nicely accentuated with fruity notes - melon, raisin, and apricot. Mouthfeel is typical for a doppel, rich and slick. Drinkability was very high considering the rich body and high alcohol (8% I was told by the waitress). This was a surprisingly flavorful doppel, I wasn't expecting the fruitiness from an Oktoberfest/Doppelbock hybrid. Come catch it while you can.

3.7/5  rDev n/a

Appearance - It has a beautiful pour from the growler to a pint glass. The head is thick and frothy at about two and half inches. It's a nice pale orange color and fades extremely slow. The body of the brew is a hazy orange and amber color. Superb.

Smell - The scent is malty and very subtle with no real distinction.

Taste - Firm alcohol taste here in the Oktoppelbock. There's some black licorice but very slight. The spices are more prevalent with a hinting of clove in the finish.

Mouthfeel - The feel is tough due to the alcohol flavor but I think it helps to bring out some the unique flavors.

~ I am very pleased to have brought this brew back with me from my recent trip to Madtown. I look forward to spreading the good work about this truly unique beer.

4.03/5  rDev n/a

Shiny tangerine that, remarkably enough, was lighter and brighter than the English bitter that I drank just prior. Up top was a firmly creamy disk of orangish beige that persisted nicely and gave a good accounting of itself in terms of lace deposition.

Like the beer that preceded it, the aroma was too laid back. I was still able to appreciate a toasted, earthy, nutty character that was as much Oktoberfest as doppelbock (hence the name). There was no hint of anything darker, which was obvious from the beer's color.

The history behind Okto(berfest)+(do)ppelbock is interesting. Sometime in the past, the brewers at Great Dane collaborated with Kirby Nelson at Capitol to brew an Oktoberfest-doppelbock hybrid that eventually became Capitol's Autumnal Fire. Well, I thought it was interesting.

Oktoppelbock can either be thought of as an Imperial Oktoberfest or as a big bock, two styles that overlap to a large extent, at least as far as I'm concerned. I'm aware that doppelbocks are technically 'big bocks', but I always think of them as containing some amount of roasted or chocolate malt.

This offering was incredibly malty and rich, with a sweetness that stopped short of cloying. The flavor profile consisted of earthy caramel, toasted bread crust, baked nuts and lightly spicy (probably German) hops. The alcohol (8.1%) wasn't completely buried, but it was better that way. It made this big lager nicely warming on a bitterly cold day.

The body/mouthfeel was tremendous, which was no surprise given all that malt. It was at least medium-full and was supremely supple, with no hint of sappiness and only a trace of stickiness. The carbonation was dead-on perfect.

For my second pint yesterday, I had my choice of three bocks: Dominator Doppelbock, Velvet Hammer Bock and this beer. I picked this one because the name made it sound interesting. I'm sure it's as much of a velvet hammer as Velvet Hammer because it's dangerously drinkable and is highly likely to blindside the unwary. Good stuff.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Oktopplebock from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.