Watermelon Wheat - Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Watermelon Wheat
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown) visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: abents on 05-04-2004)
1.4/5  rDev n/a

Very rarely do I remember specifics of a beer that I drank a few years ago, but this one stands out as the most God awful concoction that I have ever encountered. A light pink color that tasted like watered down tomato juice. Just yucky all around...please keep this experiment retired.

3.78/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the downtown location, this beer couldn't possibly be as bad as some of these reviews imply.

Pour: Presentation is superb. Pours bright ruby red grapefruit juice hue, totally opaque with an inch of white foam that stays for the remainder of the glass and leaves phenominal lacing in the weizen glass that is garnished with a wedge of what else - watermelon. Much better than lemon anyday.

Nose: fairly light overall with ripe watermelon, lemon peel, and musty wheat. nothing overbearing or artificial like I feared.

Taste: great restraint was used in the watermelon aspect of this beer. It tastes as though the meat closest to the rind was used, imparting a tartness and bitterness to the light watermelon flavor, keeping it from cloying territory. A solid Crop Circle Wheat backbone lends a husky, almost roasted wheat malt backbone.

Feel: Hefeweizen thick and velvety smooth with light, fine carbonation creating a creaminess without bogging you down.

Drinkability/Overall: Y'all are crazy, this a balanced, restrained summer variation of their solid Crop Circle. I could see myself pounding quite a few of these on a hot day without second thought, specially now that Mallards Ale has taken over much of their production.

3.58/5  rDev n/a

Appearance: It's not everyday you come across a Day-Glo pink beer, so this one gets points for sheer singularity. Head is fluffy and white, but fairly volatile, resulting in only fair retention.

Smell: Bready wheat and earthy, slightly Hefe-esque banana-clove yeast accompanied by a pleasant, fresh, natural watermelon aroma - and I'm talking the whole watermelon, rind and all. Not nearly as bold as I expected from the looks of it. Very well-mannered, thankfully with more going on besides just watermelon.

Taste: Basically the same as the nose, although the watermelon is slightly sweeter and more candy-like and the yeast more tangy and musty than I anticipated. Still, it is a well-balanced and interesting beer, with a dry, crisp, yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and chewable yet clean and quenching. Watermelon juiciness does cloy a bit on the way down.

Drinkability: This is definitely not something I'd want to drink every day, but I am glad I tried it. Worth my companions' snide remarks about my manhood.

2.75/5  rDev n/a

WW is back and sadly it hasn’t changed much from last years nearly dismal attempt at the style.

Appearances: Bright pink-fuchsia color with a pinkish-white head that descends from 2 inches to a steady 3/8th. Completely cloudy. The color doesn’t bode well for the beer. In my experience pink WWs = gimmick and gimmick rarely = good.

Aroma: Putrid rotten watermelon, sweat, must, wheat, rotten lemons. Absolutely revolting.

Taste: Light natural watermelon flavor with even lighter wheat notes. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy with a touch of breadiness. No sweetness to speak of (a good thing, especially considering that this beer is bright fricking pink). One would expect this beer to be loaded with sugar and artificial flavors from the look of it.

Drinkability: If blandness equals drinkable than count this beer as a winner. To dull for me though.

Sadly, the Great Dane fails at this difficult style. Until recently, I thought the style impossible to do at all well, but 21st Amendment in San Francisco pulls it off with flying colors. WWs can be done and done very well. Unfortunately, my favorite brew pub’s version just doesn’t cut it.

2.28/5  rDev n/a

Man, looking at these other 2 reviews I wonder if I didn't get a bad mix or batch. It was a very visually striking beer with it's pale pink color and it smelled very interesting with a mix of watermelon, citrus and a hint of corinader, but I found it to taste just awful. It just didn't seem to come together very well and ended up reminding me rotting watermelon. I really wanted to like this, but there was just no way, couldn't even finish off the tasting glass. But with the all right reviews it has gotten I will have to go back and do some more "research". I guess that means another trip to the Great Dane for hours more research!!

3.05/5  rDev n/a

Totally opaque fleshy pink. It's the same color as the inside of your mouth. The head is puffy and generally white, infused lightly with a pink sheen.

Stand at the pub with a big weizen glass of this pink liquid, garnished with the requisite slab of watermelon on the brim, and feel the masculinity pulsing through your veins.
(For what it's worth, it *is* a visually striking beer, but not exactly man juice.)

Everything else about this is pretty mediocre.

Standard American Wheat base, with all the bread and dough the style brings. Melon is noticed with a rind like fruitiness and suggestions of pulpy pseudo-tartness. Surprisingly, sweetness is next to nil. This stays dry from start to finish. It's even more shocking coming from something that looks like this does.

It's inoffensive and bland, and is an easy gimmick quaff. And that's fine. But this is most disappointing in that there are some glimmers of promise. With more yeast nuance (or some sort of complementary *something*) this could be highly unique and memorable. Use the melons on a Tripel frame and I think we might be on to something.

3.08/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this growler from my roomate, he loved it.
Pours like a pint of Kool-Aid. A bright reddish orange with a decent white head a little lacing. Smells like a whole lot of melon a slight nose of wheat. Tastes like sharp melon at first followed by an acidic taste that is very pecular. A nice wheaty background throughout that smooths the beer nicely. Definitly one of the more interesting beers I've tasted. Moderatly carbonated and a medium body. It's very refreshing at first, but as I work through a pint it starts to get a little old. I'd have one on tap, but then switch to something else. Glad I tried it though, never had watermelon in my beer before that's for sure.
Overall decent offering, it's something different and not as sweet as expected very nice wheat backbone.

Watermelon Wheat from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.