Old Glory American Pale Ale - Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Old Glory American Pale AleOld Glory American Pale Ale

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown) visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

In true pioneer spirit we offer this brew as our translation of the British pale-ale style. The full flavor of American Cascade hops pours out at you from every angle, the result of adding hops 5 different times to the brew, including "dry-hopping". An underlying, rich malt flavor supports the crisp and floral hop bitterness to produce a thirst-quenching, flavorful brew.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-11-2002)
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

From 11/03/12 notes. Had on tap at the downtown brewpub.

a - Pours a clear orange amber color with no head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, and some light pine hops. Not super hoppy, but a nice APA.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, citrus hops, sweet fruits, pine hops, lemon, and grapefruit. Sweeter than the nose and more citrus.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. No bitterness, pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall a pretty decent APA. Not super hoppy but a lot of citrus and fruit and easy to drink. Would try it again.

mdfb79, Nov 09, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +20%

twbeecher, Nov 16, 2011

bpfrush, Nov 14, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Batting clean-up (had Sammy A in between others today) is a growler from Great Dane....that is six days old. Surprisingly there is still decent carbonation to provide a thin white head. However, is is dissapating quickly....but yet lacing nicely. The smell has spice and fresh hop along with subtle citrus. The taste malt and hop balance which includes spice and citrus. My wife picked a good one to bring home.

WoodBrew, Sep 17, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on tap at the downtown brewpub. Cascade hops, an Ok bitterness was delivered. Lacey, cloudy golden body. Like a lighter IPA. Carbonation right there. Hoppy aroma, 40 IBU. OK as a moderately hoppy beer, with 40 IBU and 5.2% abv. What would make this better?

Sammy, Sep 09, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.3%

Had a pint at the eastside Pub location.

A=Nice, rich amber color...slightly lighter than an Amber. Head was yellowish-white and present for about 30 seconds.

S=Rather pungent...I didn't remember to smell it until the halfway mark, but smelled citrusy and clove? Hops presence dominated.

T=I was impressed...it reminded me of a Ale Asylum Hopalicious, only a tad more drinkable (meaning not quite as hoppy). Strong flavor of floral...er, hops. Light flavor of malt. I like this better than the Hopilicious and, having this on tap less than a 1/2 mile from my home, will now be my go to beer from GD (I like their Porter a tad better...but not as much as the Edmund Fitzgerald). Finally glad to have a GD beer that I like. 11/23/12 update: much more hops than I recall; in fact, too hoppy vs. others I've tried. Score lowered to 2.5.

M=Very Pleasant. Very low carbonation...just enough body. Very drinkable.

O=Even though I am more of a malt person, I really enjoyed this beer.

dhannes, Aug 18, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Well balanced aroma. Solid malt foundation and an earthy quality to the hops.
Minimal head even upon pour. Very clear. Classic gold/yellow amber.
Flavors, as with the aroma, is well balanced with a distinct biscuit flavor (that seems to intermix with the hops and create a vanilla flavor for me). Bready quality too. Hops again with a earthy quality - surprised to learn web-site only lists cascade as it doesn't present that way with this drinking.
Reasonable smooth.
I noted that I slowed down my drinking pace. Not sure why. A bit rich? Fatigued from earlier beers? Not sure, but a nicely done well balanced APA with strong British characteristics.
Thanks Chuck.
After reading other reviews that note the distinct cascade aroma and flavor I can only conclude that my ability to distinguish that was the assault on my flavor receptors from the several Stone beers that preceded this drink.

garymuchow, Mar 30, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +4%

Tried this one at the Great Dane in downtown Madison.

Poured a light goldish copper color, average head. Bit of a citrus taste, nice malt flavor. Very smooth beer. I really enjoyed this one too. I could have drank several of these if we weren't on a time constraint.

richkrull, Jan 31, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed from notes. On tap in Madison - August 2009.

Pours a light copper color with a bit of a white head and a really small amount of lacing. The nose is some nice citrus, grapefruit, and floral hops with a bit of a light caramel backing. The taste is mild grapefruit skin plus a bit of pale malt and slight caramel flavoring. Feel is a bit light with some mild bitterness. A well-made beer that drinks fairly well.

Thorpe429, Nov 13, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Served in a shaker pint glass at the Madison brewpub.

Another entry in my pre-interview extravaganza. It pours a partially hazed light amber topped by a half-finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises tangerine, melon, caramel, grapefruit, and flowers. The taste holds notes of light coffee, caramel, walnuts, mandarin oranges, greens, and ruby red grapefruit. The body is a medium light, with a rather light carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a very nice and balanced APA, something you really don't get everywhere.

TMoney2591, Oct 29, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

A: luminescent gold and yellowish orange with hints of red. Lacking in the head department that paired with a few struggling blobs of lace

S: sweet caramel, whiff of malts, soft fruits (grapefruit, oranges)

T: hops presence is subdued, comes across as watery and thin with lingering caramel/dextrose sweetness. Malts hang in the back. Comes across fresh and what hops their are give a little kick of zest. This beer has a few dimensions that I look for in a pale ale but lacks in overall complexity

M: body is smooth and virtually motionless in the glass. A bit dry and sweet in the finish makes this its strongest features

D: I could drink a couple...but would I want to? Most likely I would pass on this beer. My first brew of this brand and let alone it is in an airport. I have a bit of a layover till my next flight and another beer might be possible...a chance to redeem. Otherwise I am not that impressed, an average APA

Magpie14, Jan 05, 2009
3.75/5  rDev 0%

Nice amber body with scraps of white head. Citrusy hop aromas leap from the glass. Nice citrusy hop flavors are coupled with a good but not overwhelming bitterness. Lots of grapefruit. As it warms, the hop flavors become a touch muddled but still taste pretty decent. Good body and all day long drinkability.

drseamus, Feb 27, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Sampled at the Madison airport.

A: Copper-amber, white head, no retention, good lace.

S: Plenty of grapefruit citrus, slight pale malt background.

T: Grapefruit citrus, bread, slight grainyness to the american pale malt, good bitterness.

M: Moderate body and carbonation, slight hop acidity.

D: Very drinkable.

Derek, Jul 15, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Bright, iced tea tawny with less than one finger of beige foam. The cap wasn't very creamy, lasted no more than a few minutes and left very little lace. Not bad for a bar pour, I guess. At least the color of the beer was nice.

I've never had much luck with noses in brewpubs. That is, having them be aromatic enough to really smell what's going on. I think it has to do with the gentle pours that are designed to maximize the amount of beer in the glass. This one could have used more oomph, but it was still nice and bright and citrus fruity.

Prior to ordering, I asked the waitress which beer was hoppier, Old Glory or the cask Extra Pale Ale. She said this one, so that's what I ordered. I believe she was right. Old Glory is a 100% Cascade APA that was both delicous and highly drinkable. You can have your fancy schmancy, newfangled hops (I love them too), I'll always be happy with a well-brewed Cascade pale ale. Great job Great Dane.

The flavor profile focused on clean, bright, zesty, lightly resinous white grapefruit, orange and lemon. There was just enough pale malt (no caramel by my palate) to support the hops and no more. I continue to be amazed at the depth of flavor that can be wrung out of a relatively simple, straightforward, single-hopped pale ale. In the right hands, of course.

I wasn't floored by the mouthfeel at first, but I stayed patient. Sure enough, by the bottom of the pint, it had firmed up considerably and had lost some of its initial (very mild) fizziness. Considering the style, I'd say it was about where it should have been in the end.

I can't help but try something new each time I make it up to the Great Dane, simply because my trips are so infrequent. If I lived in Madison, I'd drink this stuff by the liter, that's for damn sure. I hereby pledge allegiance to Old Glory.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 13, 2007
Old Glory American Pale Ale from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)