Black Earth Porter - Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Black Earth Porter
No picture uploaded.

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown) visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

Dark and full-bodied, this is our interpretation of the classic English Porter style. Made with nine varieties of malt and assertively hopped, our porter is packed with flavor. Strong coffee and chocolate tones create a special brew for those advancing on the path of fine beer appreciation.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2002)
4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

At first I thought this was poured from a nitrous pump. It look and tasted just like it. After asking the barkeeper about it, he explained that it was actually a hand pump for carbonation.

Very dark black pour with a tall nitrous looking head.

Smells just like roasted chocolate. There is no mistaking or missing the aroma, it's huge.

Flavor was thick on chocolate and roasted coffee. There was a hint of black licorice. Aftertaste was creamy with chocolate milk, a slightly harsh astringency. It was sweet, but nothing I'd complain as too sweet. If someone told me this was an oatmeal or milk stout I would have believed them. Naming this beer "Black Earth" was a great idea. There are many earthy flavors complexing the flavor of this beer.

Mouthful was nice and thick. I know I'm in the minority here when I say I had those nitrous widgets in Guiness cans. I hate Guinness poured from a nitrous tap. So, I found this carbonation a little distracting.

This was my favorite beer at The Great Dane. The aroma and flavor was big and enjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a cask-conditioned pint at the Hillsdale Great Dane location.

A: Beautiful, black porter, little light shone through. Nice head and great lacing for a cask conditioned ale.

S: Lots of coffee, chocolate, and citrusy hops. Whets the appetite.

T: Tasted just like it smelled. Would have sworn this was a coffee porter, but the manager said nope, just great roasted grain flavor.

M: Every so slightly "thin".

D: Wished I could have stayed and had many more. Very nice beer.

4.7/5  rDev +16%

My standby brew at the Dane when none of the specials attract me. Often served on nitro, and sometimes on cask, this is a fine porter. Appearance is a very dark brown mahogany, very close to black with a thick and lasting dark khaki head. Rich and full aroma of intense roasted malt, dark chocolate cocoa, whole milk, espresso, and dark fruit. Taste is large. Tons of well roasted coffee and chocolate milk flavors. Bakers chocolate. Caramel, raison, and blackberry too but it all comes back to a huge roastiness. Smooth, easy drinking, medium bodied beer with faint lactic qualities. Sessionable.

4.7/5  rDev +16%

Sampled while at the source over the weekend. It came off the hand-pump a nice flat black color with a one finger tan head that stuck around quite a while. The nose was what struck me the most. Lots of creamy chocolate, a hint of lacto, roasted malts. I could easily have sat and smelled this brew all day long. The flavor was just as great. A sweet and creamy lacto blast hit me first, followed by intense dark roasted malts, giving it a very minimal harshness like coffee, but this moved almost like magic to a sweet chocolate finish that lingered and lingered. This may be the best porter I have ever had. What a divine treat. The feel was velvety smooth and thick, letting me know I was drinking a nice brew. This could easily have been an all day beer, but with so many others sitting there waiting to be tasted, I had to move on. This will definately be a staple next time I am in Madison.

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

imperial pint, on cask at the downtown dane

appearance: very dark body, bordering on black...huge creamy chocolatey head with fantastic chocolate lacing. wonderful appearance

smell: big and roasty just the way I demand my porters to be...bittersweet dark chocolate, char, medium roast coffee, roasted malt/barley...delightful

taste: The great dane makes a living by providing a thorough list of regular beers combined with a constantly changing menu of bizzarre seasonals that is more intensive than any other brewpub I have ever heard of. Of the everyday beers, this is BY FAR the most impressive and it rivals any porter I have ever consumed. It's big and robust, huge roasted malt/barley body, creamy dark chocolate, wonderful coffee flavour, light licorice, with a very nice mild hopping to provide some contrast. nice dark fruits present as well, a true gem

mouthfeel: perfect on cask, creamy and rich, nothing left to be desired

drinkability: through the damn roof

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a jet black body with a thick tan head that last and last.

S- The smell of dark roasted malt has notes of earthiness and coffee beans that give it a nice depth and good complexity.

T- This beer has a great dark malt flavor with notes of earth and coffee and a light cream flavor at the dry finish. The taste is crisp and clean with more notes of tobacco and crystal malt as it warms.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with an almost slippery texture. No alcohol warmth or astringency.

D- This beer has big complex flavors of malt and they all work together but it is still a wonderful session beer as the palate doesn't get exhausted from the flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

My first review here and why not start out on top. Had the privelage of enjoying this great beer at the Great Dane Pub this evening with a good 1/2 lb bacon cheeseburger and fries celebrating a 3-month anniversary with the Mrs. (as good an excuse as any to try some good beer I thought). My first trip to the Great Dane was certainly not a disappointment.

As a self-proclaimed new-commer to the world of fine beers, this was also my first porter. It wont be my last...

Appearance: Served in a big nonic pint glass, this porter was jet black with a beautiful 3/4 inch or so tan, creamy head. Looks delicious...

Smell: Chocolate! Roasted coffee. Sweet malts. I'm in heaven. My mouth is watering. Also detected some roasted bitter hoppiness. I wanted to dunk my nose in it it smelled so good. Smells delicious...

Taste: Creamy dark chocolate and coffee. Sweet but not too sweet. Just a hint of bitter to give it bite. Truly amazing. Best truly dark beer I've ever had. Joins brown ales as my favorite genres. As the beer warmed through the course of the meal, the alcohol taste was more pronounced, but nothing overwhelming or off-putting, just more noticeable. Tastes DELICIOUS.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, velvety, smooth. Heavy-bodied, but still went down easy. Carbonation was light, but just right for the style. Felt delicious.

Drinkabilty: Certainly could have gone for a few more if I hadn't have been so full from the 1/2 lb burger. Saw on the menu that they had a "Mocha Milkshake" that was actually flavored with the beer. Man did I wish I had room for that. Sounded amazing. Overall, I was blown away by this impressive porter and will certainly be back for more. I wish I would have brought a growler of it back home with me....next time for sure. Just an amazing brew. HIGHLY recommended to anyone in the Madtown area who enjoys a good, dark, chocolatey and just downright delicious beer. Wow.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap @ the Great Dane (Madison, WI) on 8/8/09. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a pitch black, with a finger of rich dark mocha colored head. Retains with a rigid half finger of smooth and creamy foam, that leaves some thick patchy lace back. Rich look to this. The aroma is just loaded with robust coffee and roast, and much sweeter notes of chocolate and toffee. Fresh, green floral tones punch up the back of this. Wow, this is a nice smelling Porter!

The taste is hugely rich, with coffee being even stronger this time around, mixing in with roast and hops to form a strong bitter backbone. Assertive notes of sweet chocolate and caramel malts add some good balance to this. There is also a well done earthy and citrus component to the hops, that ends this dry and spicy. I love it! The mouthfeel is medium bodied in the mouth, but man, this is smooth and easy in the mouth! Very drinkable, but still emits a good bit of presence in the mouth.

A beer that truly earns it's name, packing some dark & crunchy American Porter character, while still retaining that earthy hop profile from the English style. Full and robust, with a hugely quaffable nature to it, I could drink this all night long. Great stuff!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Brown-black with a tan head, not much retention, but leaves a nice lace.

S: This is a roasty, robust porter, with plenty of chocolate, mocha & coffee aroma's. Slightly bready with some subtle ale esters.

T: Awesome roasted flavour, without any unpleasant burntness. Mocha, dark chocolate and dark caramel with a good bitterness to back it up.

M: Moderate to full body is very smooth.

D: Very drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Sampled 4-30-05. Arrives in a Great Dane nonic pint a dark black with a big two finger creamy head on top. Awesome lacing sticks all over the side of the glass...wow. A work of art in a glass. Roasty chocolate nose with a hint of lactic milk and just a slight background of coffee. The burnt roastiness and the cholocate here are lush and mouthwaterng. Makes me want to dive right in.

A smooth milk chocolate roasty flavor leads the way with big maltiness and a hint of milkiness and some coffee. The chocolate flavor is rich and tasty without being overpowering. Wow...just an awesome porter here.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with mellow carbonation that goes down like silk. A damn good porter that is phenomenally drinkable. A great session brew hands down..I would have been content drinking these all night. A must try if you stop at the Great Dane.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Came up to Madison to have a going away party for my girlfriend, who is going to the UK for three weeks. I'm going to miss her, but I might miss this beer even more when I go back to Milwaukee. It's a thick, dark brown, as you'd expect from a porter, with a nice tan head and great lacing. Smells roasted and chocolatey and delicious. The taste--wow, this is right up there with the Edmund Fitzgerald. Given that this was on-tap and the Fitz was bottled, I have to think the Fitz gets the edge, but this is close. It's creamy, chocolatey, roasty, and just a hint of a bitter finish. Could be a little more bitter, I suppose, but that's nitpicking. This is a truly great porter, and a great beer period.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Opaque. A semi-circle of bubbly brown head. It fades to a collar quickly. Lacing is minimal. Aromas of cocoa, coffee bean, chocolate and black barley bless my nose. The taste is more of the same. And some lactic sweetness thrown in for a kicker. Nice lingering roasted malt bitterness. And some West Coast hop bitterness as well. The mouthfeel is smooth. Easy drinking. Medium body. I could drink more than one growler of this tasty beverage. But a growler will do.

Thanks for keeping me grounded cokes. Nice porter.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Pure black color with a cocoa colored head that did not hold up too long. Solid lacing around the glass. Aroma is strong of roasted coffee and smoke. Some bittersweet chocolate underneath. Taste begins with that intense roasted espresso. Charcoal is in there too. Cocoa powder is in there. Slight bourbony kick towards the middle. Nice earthiness in there. Slight vanilla and cherry liquer in the finish. I liked this a lot but maybe it could have had more hops to lend a counterbalance to the other flavors. I'm a sucker for that burnt, smoky flavor though and this has a lot of it.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

A-Black with deep brown highlights. Medium tan head that reduced t leave heavy lace. Mighty fine looking brew.

S-Nice, full roasty malt nose. A bit of smoke aroma comes through in the background.

T-Full frontal attack of roasted malt. Almost a burnt quality leading to a bit of smokiness. Whoa...this is a big boy porter, nice!

M-Medium-heavy body with a pleasant dry finish.

D-A solid roasty, robust porter. Full of body and assertiveness. A winner from TGD, best brew of the night!

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

It wasn't on their list of current cask beers, but to my enjoyment I was served this deep brown almost black hand pulled brew. She brang it over and it was still cascading. At this point I was really anticipating this one. It has a deep roast and coffee aroma, with hints of chocolate. The flavor is roasty and coffee-like with a roasty bitterness in the finish. It was very easy drinking for a full-bodied brew. I just loved this one. I will definitely have to return to try this one again.

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this at the Grumpy Troll in Fitchburg today. A friend recommended this. It was jet black and was served at almost room temperature (they know what they're doing). It had a white head that retained for 5 minutes or so. My spouse reported that I had a "mustache."

I smelled both coffee and some dark chocolate. I believe no coffee is added to this but this almost surprises me considering that I think the coffee overpowers the chocolate.

Taste wise, it's excellent. It had that rich creamy mouthfeel. Very smooth and easy to drink. Tasted roasted malt plus more dark chocolate. In a way, it's a relaxing beer to drink, not overwhelming.
Be sure to order this!

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark mahogany brown, about two shades away from black. Milky beige foam clings all the way to the bottom.
Roasty malty aroma with strong notes of both chocolate and coffee. Sweetness lurks below.
Taste starts strongly and bitterly roasted. Big expresso and baker's chocolate. Then some dark fruit sweetness begins to squeeze through the cracks. Raisin, faint carmel, and some vinous qualities. Sort of like a Baltic Porter light. Stays heavily roasted throughout, hops are barely a factor, but anchor the finish appropriately.
Smooth and velvety in the mouth, but definately on the thin side. On the thin side of medium -bodied. A little more heft and this would be classic.
Hugely drinkable as it is. A nice session, with plenty of interesting nuances to keep one's attention.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

I got this with a salad with grilled chicken and it was fantastic! I got the beer and there was a good head, but it dissapated right away. It had a great black color to it. The smell was smooth light coffee and a few chocolate tones. The taste was a lighter black porter, and was great!! I loved it and it got even better the more I had my salad. The mouthfeel was smooth and nice, a little more towads smoother water. Overall if I lived in Madison I would drink that porter with every meal at the Great Dane, awsome!!

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Wow! Does this porter live up to its name. Its body is pitch black topped by an extremely creamy tan head that absolutely clings to the sides of glass. It looks almost like a glass of Guinness and I wonder if it is nitro-poured or from a real ale beer engine. It is served at cellar temperature so both the aroma and taste are not overwhelmed by the cold. The malt aroma dominates with slight chocolate and roast barley scents. The taste is sweet and full, black patent malt bitterness with chocolate malt faintly in background. Hop bitterness is subdued but balances the malt well. The mouth feel is a bit too light, but overall this is a great session beer and immensely drinkable...pint after pint...after pint.....

Black Earth Porter from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)