Pale Ale - Cumberland Brews

No picture uploaded.

Cumberland Brews visit their website
Kentucky, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: GuinnessSmurf on 04-28-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ricochet

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

Great beers from a great brewer. This is my favorite Pale Ale to which all others are compared for me. Other microbrew pales are missing something that Cumberland has. The smell is wonderfully hoppy and it's a nice reddish color. Mouthfeel is full and well, taste and drinkability are the best I've had. Matt brews two of my absolute favorite beers (see Nitro Porter)and they are consistent each time I come to Louisville and sample them. Nearest to it is Goose Island or Great Lakes. Nothing beats the fresh-from-the-tap Pale Ale.

07-03-2004 10:12:36 | More by Ricochet
loukydave

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Very tastey, I had the pale ale with a veggie pizza. The combo was good together. Also had a pitcher after we finished off the pizza. The pale ale washed the pallet very well. Who needs dessert when you have a great beer. I'm not good at reviewing a beer, but I know what tastes good to me. I perfer an ale over a stout. Being diabectic, I don't suppose to drink beer, but I will have a good pale beer to take care of my beer erges. I would love to drink beer more, my body won't let me and have good glucose readings. But I do love beer. Can't drink beer like I use to. Cumberland's pale ale is smooth, and crisp in taste. I usaully pair the beer with food like pizza, fish or a juicey burger.

10-06-2012 18:57:15 | More by loukydave
beerman207

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

I purchased a growler of this at our nearby Party Town in Florence, KY. I was luck enough to try this beer as soon after I got my growler, the beer was taken off rotation. Nice copper color to this beer. Definately had a grapefruit presence as well as some potential nut flavoring (can't definitively speak on this as I'm recovering from a cold so my palate may have been off). Nice lacing in the glassw. Starts out sweet and then has a nice bitterneess that follows. Drinkability is high which is nice since i went with a growler.

03-08-2009 13:55:52 | More by beerman207
orbitalr0x

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Sampled on tap at Cumberland on 3-19-05. Arrives a deep orange amber color with a bubbly head on top. A nice sweet citric hop nose with hints of oranges and grapefruits. There's a nice sweet malt nose as well.

First sip brings a vibrant citric hoppiness upfront along with a pale, slightly caramelly malt. Orange, grapefruit and a hint of lemon with a nice sturdy malt backbone. Just a damn good APA that impressed me quite a bit.

Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel ..lively and easy to drink. I could have easily sat down to a few of these. Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing me here and I hope to get back to sample some more of their brews in the future.

03-21-2005 04:11:46 | More by orbitalr0x
belgaridub

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

This came to the table a dark red-brown color. Much darker than I expected a pale ale to be. It was cloudy and had a thin head that did not last very long at all. I could definitely smell the hop and citrus aroma once I got the beer in front of me. Upon putting my nose up to the beer the most notable characteristic was grapefruit backed by hops. The taste was also dominated by grapefruit, but there were hops definitely present, just not as powerful as the grapefruit. There was some sweetness to it that kept it from being only tart grapefruit and bitter hops and did a great job to somewhat counterbalance the sharpness of the grapefruit and hops.

I was quite surprised at the dominance of the grapefruit in this beer, thinking that perhaps it was more of a fruit beer style. I don't know if this really fits in perfectly as an APA because what seemed to be the most important part of the beer was grapefruit taste, but with that being said... I loved this beer. They really nailed what I'm looking for in a good hop bitterness and grapefruit tartness dominating but not overwhelming the malty sweetness. The grapefruit dominates, but definitely in a good way. I don't know how many of these I could have in a row since one left my mouth with a strong grapefruit flavor, but I will definitely have another when I go back.

05-17-2006 20:27:27 | More by belgaridub
dbrauneis

Served on tap at Cumberland Brews in Louisville, KY.

A: Pours a crustal clear amber to copper in color with some light orange hints. The beer has a half finger tall creamy light beige head that reduces to a thin film covering the surface of the beer and a ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: There are aromas of caramel malts with a little bit of sweetness as well as moderate notes of pine/resin and citrus hops.

T: The taste follows the smell, starting with a caramel malt body with some light amounts of sweetness. Then the hop flavors kick in - pine/resin and citrus hops.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonations. Slightly sticky/oily.

O: This is a very enjoyable pale ale that I found pretty easy to drink. A little too strong to be sessionable but definitely a beer I could have more than one of... just not more than two or three.

05-29-2012 16:58:24 | More by dbrauneis
Lovely85

06-05-2014 23:32:53 | More by Lovely85
Haybeerman

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Deep orange/amber color. Poured a coarse off-white 1 finger head with fair retention. Inconsistent lacing.

S: Sweet, bready malt. Citryw and grapefruit hops.

T: Citrus peel and grapefruit hops up front. Pale malts and slightly sweet crystal malt. A little resiny, but sharply bitter finishes balances nicely.

M: Medium body. Moderate to ample carbonation. Fairly smooth, balanced and clean.

D: Very drinkable. Flavor and balance along with moderate ABVmake it sessionable.

09-19-2010 21:44:46 | More by Haybeerman
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

As I'm sure you can tell by the order of these reviews, I split a growler of this stuff with clvand0 and SheepNutz. The beer poured a nice golden color, with minimal head. Off the tap, this beer had a decent one finger of head. The nose was a nice balance between the lightly citrus hops and the caramel sweetness in the malt. The flavor brought much of the same. The hop was good and not to strong, lingering just a bit after swallowing the beer. This beer was a moderately thick one. I really enjoyed it better off the tap than in the growler, but somewhere along the way, the top became loose and I lost all the carbonation in the growler. Boo hiss. This was my third favorite from the brewery, but I would definately get it again.

10-20-2004 17:04:43 | More by kmpitz2
mrfrancis

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a ruddy amber with subtle orange highlights and a creamy white head that sticks around far longer than expected.

S: Huge aromas of pine, spruce, and citrus bludgeon the nose. Once the ale settles down a bit, subtle scents of caramel, cream, crackers, and biscuits become just barely noticeable.

T: Opens in a bitter, sticky manner with notes of grass, peppermint, bitter orange, lemon, grapefruit, pine, and spruce attacking the palate. Notes of caramel, cream, minerals, crackers, and biscuits briefly make their presence known around mid-palate before they are drowned out by strong flavors of pine, spruce, orange, lemon, and grapefruit.

M: Medium-bodied, gently carbonated, and very resinous. It's not really a quaffing pale ale, but it isn't exactly a sipper either.

O: This is a good hop-driven American pale ale that goes particularly well with most of the entrees available at the pub. It may not be the most complex example of the style that one will run across, but it gets the job done. Definitely worth seeking out if you fancy yourself a hop head.

03-27-2012 19:50:05 | More by mrfrancis
KYBrewgrass

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A- 4 Nice clear copper color. Minimal white head but very sticky, lingering lacing.

S- 3.5 Light hops and citrus (grapefruit). A very mild malty scent. Overall, it's inviting but not very strong.

T- 4 Malty dry hop taste. Less citrus, if any, than expected from the scent. This is much milder, maltier, and sweeter than I'd expect from a pale ale, but it's a good taste nonetheless.

M- 4 Great level of carbonation in this medium bodied brew. Slightly syrupy and dry finish. Goes down pretty smoothly.

D- 4 Overall a pretty easy-to-drink beer. Its dryness makes me want to keep sipping it. It isn't heavy and has a good enough flavor that I could enjoy several at a time. Nothing knocks your socks off, but another good offering from Cumberland of the 'Ville.

03-18-2011 02:19:17 | More by KYBrewgrass
Ragingbull

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark red or light brown in color. The head is a bit wispy with only a little lacing, but when getting a beer on tap to your table its always possible it settled. Cumberland Brews isn't a big place, but I didn't pay attention to whether the beer sat on a tray for a bit. In any event, there isn't much head. The nose is a bit hoppy and pleasant. The attack is smooth with the presence of the hops that the nose signalled revealing itself towards the end of the flavor. The mouthfeel is very full with the texture and presence provided by the hops, but its pretty mild flavor wise. Its been a while since I had a beer act this way in my mouth. The beer finishes dry with a mild aftertaste.

06-25-2009 14:14:03 | More by Ragingbull
SheepNutz

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a growler into a thistle glass. It pours a slightly hazy orange color with one finger of head. There is just a little bit of lacing. The smell is slightly sweet, with a little bit of citrus fruit. The taste has a lot of fruity flavors. Some sweet orange with a floral and grapefruit hop finish. The mouthfeel is nice and strong. The drinkability is good as well. Not too shabby, and I look forward to trying more of thier brews!

10-19-2004 04:43:02 | More by SheepNutz
beveritt

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: On tap at Irish Rover Too in LaGrange, KY. I so often travel through here for work and cant' have a beer; it is nice to finally sample some of the offerings. Served in an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Thin cap of light tan head; sticks around for most of the beer and leaves a ring of foam and lacing. The beer itself is deep reddish amber and hazy to the point you can't see through it.

Smell: Semi sweet malt on the nose with strong notes of caramel and hints of piney hops.

Taste: Taste is strong resiny hops against a solid backbone of semi sweet malt. Long, lingering hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation and good body.

Drinkability: A solid well crafted beer that I could certainly have more often if it were available in my area.

09-09-2011 18:05:08 | More by beveritt
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev 0%

This beer has a nice brown/yellow/orange color with moderate head and appropriate lacing. The smell is very balanced - you get bitter and sweet in a very close harmony (minor 2nd?).

Very impressive flavor from this beer, right from the onset. It starts off very fresh tasting - like a combination of a vodka tonic and an orange slice. Then the flavor focuses into a sweet hops, bitter finish.

04-28-2004 21:13:05 | More by GuinnessSmurf

06-05-2014 23:33:06 | More by nickfl
auroracrisis

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Pint at the source.

Reddish brown, with a half inch head that sticks around for a bit but getting smaller and smaller as the pint is drank down. A little bit of lacing too.

Opens with a piney and resin hop aroma, with some biscuit and cracker like quality. A touch of breadyness and possibly some rye in this one as well.

Nothing but pine and that biscuity some what cracker like malt flavor on your tongue. A hint of spicy rye or something in there as well, hard to put your finger on and I don't believe there is any rye in this beer but it is showing characteristics of it. A pretty bold tasting pale ale.

A little sticky and medium body, with low carbonation.

A real pine and resin driven pale ale with some bready and biscuit like qualities in it. A good beer, but not my favorite at this brewery. Definitely not bad, but not exactly what I look for in a pale ale.

09-23-2011 02:36:46 | More by auroracrisis
Cresant

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer arrived at my table with little/no head. It was a cloudy amber and surprisingly dark (but lighter than my friends nut brown ale). The aroma was mild, fresh, and pleasant.

The taste was hoppy, not complex. Citrus with mild bitterness, malts in the background. Mild carbonation, thin mouthfeel.

Good drinkability. A refreshing meal beer. I'll order it again.

05-13-2006 13:55:20 | More by Cresant
clvand0

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

A friend brought a growler of this over - the growler was not adequately sealed, therefore the carbonation was all but gone. Pours an orange color with a small head that dies off quickly. The aroma has a definate fruity hop character and a little sweetness as well. The flavor has some citrus as well as a nice hop presence. This is a quite good pale ale and I would have it again.

10-20-2004 14:40:42 | More by clvand0