Brown's Cherry Raspberry Ale - Brown's Brewing Company

Brown's Cherry Raspberry AleBrown's Cherry Raspberry Ale

Brown's Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2004)
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

4.36/5  rDev +13.5%

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

I wish I could have given more for appearance but I was in a darker portion of the brewery/bar (so the number is more based on my poor vision than the beers actual presentation). Noted that it did present with a dark-reddish color and a thinning head (mostly just a ring), perhaps due to the timing from tap to table.

As soon as the pint hit the table, I could literally smell the raspberry with tiny hints of a cherry background. It. Smelled. Amazing.

The taste was on par with the smell. I got a hit of raspberry followed by a tarter swallow from the cherries, balanced by a favorable malt to hops ratio. While expecting more body, it presented to be much thinner than the look, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I would recommend this Ale to anybody. The smell invites and the taste delivers. It is solid enough to be substantial but thin enough (but by no means "light") to enjoy quite a few in a visit (as I did). This is definitely a beer that will allow a novice beer drinker to close their eyes, pay attention, learn the flavor and feel and make an intelligent review. Not a lot of "hidden undertones" for the beginner to try to distinguish. The flavors are there, smacking you in the face and delivering on a very pleasing level. Highly recommend.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer is one of my favorite that Brown's Brewing puts out on the regular. It has a unique color and very nice flavor - more of cherry predominantly with raspberry notes. This is a nice thick beer, especially for being a wheat beer, although I kind of question if this is truly brewed in the traditional "wheat beer" manner. I like how Brown's serves this with a candied cherry in the bottom - it really drives the final cherry nose of the beer all the way home. I would imagine, being a female, this is probably looked at my the masculine-masses as a "girlie beer" which is what further makes me think Brown's put the "wheat beer" spin on it - so as not to detract the dudes from ordering it. I always have to get at least one pint of this when I am up in the Troy NY area where Brown's flagship brewery is located. Most of their beers are pretty solid - but this one really stands out as unique, flavorful and an all around good brew.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%