Brown's Oatmeal Stout - Brown's Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  5.25% ABV

Beer added by: NEhophead on 05-02-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.14/5  rDev -11.8%

A nice little extra sent by drseamus in a recent trade, thanks.

Pours a coca-cola color with about a quarter inch of foam which quickly settles to a cluster of bubbles.

Nutty and roasted aromas upfront along with molasses and an odd sweet milk aroma. I also get a cotton candy smell, something very sweet like piloncillo or some heavily amount of brown sugar. Some hints of vanilla, wood, caramel, and warm oatmeal. This sweet aroma is a little off-putting for me; I’m a little hesitant on sipping this beer since it appears like it could be too sweet. After it comes to room temp it’s just overly sweet in the aroma.

Tastes a bit like a cola flavored soda plus some roasted barley, hints of coffee and some notes of bitter chocolate. Tastes a bit like a nut brown ale to me. Some flavors of various nuts, roasted nuts.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and slightly over carbonated. Couldn’t drink too much of this one. Not completely bad, the flavor is ok but drinkability suffers because the aroma is too sweet to overcome. (1,023 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -12.4%

Received this brew from drseamus in my box of Big Black Booty. Never even heard of Browns Brewing so it’s always fun to try this new stuff. Drank from my Black Butte Porter pint glass while playing online poker.

Appearance- Pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights where the light is able to penetrate. Decent head is formed but it dissipates quickly leaving behind a thin cap, thin collar, and very little lacing.
Smell- Not the biggest of noses but it suffices none-the-less. The obligatory roasted coffee and milk chocolate are indeed present. There is a sweet molasses like quality as well along with a bit of black licorice. The most surprising part of the nose though is how nutty it is. More nut in here than any stout I’ve ever whiffed.
Taste- Deep, dark roastiness is abundant in this one. An almost charred coffee taste is what it reminds me of. Hints of milk chocolate and plenty of sweet caramel is present helping to cut into the roasted malts. The nuttiness that was in the nose is definitely present in the mouth. Woody and earthy with the hops not really playing any part.
Mouthfeel- Too damn thin for the style and none of that chewy, creamy mouthfeel I’ve come to expect from anything with oatmeal in it. Plenty of carbonation though.
Drinkability- Overall this definitely isn’t the greatest beer I’ve ever had but all-in-all it’s not bad. If I wouldn’t have known what this beer was (Oatmeal Stout) I would have guessed that it was a Porter. Definitely to thin for the style but tasty none-the-less. Big thanks again to drseamus for the opportunity! (1,580 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%

thanks to bwyker for the chance to try this one

A - Color is a deep chocolate brown and very opaque such that you can't see through it at all. There was really no head at all despite a hard pour and even what was left just barely sat on top of the beer.

S - The first and main smell I get is caramel mixed in with a bit of roastiness. Actually smells a bit like a chocolate covered caramel corn that was slight burnt.

T- here there is a nice bit of oatmeal roastiness that is mixed in to the stout. Taste is also a bit bitter as one can definitely taste the hops that are mixed into this brew. Additionally these are what I taste mostly in the after taste as well as my mouth feels kinda bitter for a stout as this is definitely one dry beer as I really think the dry taste is what really dominates this beer and I don't feel like that is what an oatmeal stout should really taste like. One get a slight bit of that oatmeal wholeness taste that one expects in an oatmeal stout. There is also a slight hint of the caramel that one gets in the nose and have to say this imparts a slight creaminess to the brew.

MF - There is a lot of carbonation in this one and I think that it adds to the bitter flavors being so prominent in this brew. On the whole it is kinda a light bodied beer for the style as it verges on being watery. Didn't really find this creamy at all as the carbonation is a bit too harsh to really make this the least bit creamy.

D - overall an okay oatmeal stout that I was happy to try but would not try to seek out too much. I do really like the caramel corn smell as it is one of my favorite foods but it is really not to prominent and overall the taste on the beer is average as it does not blow me away nor make me want to run away. (1,760 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -13.8%

On tap at the Man of Kent,poured from the tap an ink black with a very thin almost fizzy almond colored head that was gone very quickly.Highly roasted in the nose and quite dry nearly burnt,very thin boarderline watery mouthfeel led to lesser flavor in my mind it was pretty roasted with a hint of coffee.Not to impressed with this it just lacked alot of depth flavor and mouthfeel wise in my opinion. (401 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Way carbonated – big psst when opened and foam fills the glass. Contaminated? It took multiple pour-and-waits to empty the bottle. Dark, dark brown with a garnet hue when held to light. Well short of opaque with a few streams of bubbles visible when held to light. Big pillowy head that retains alright and leave some tenuous bits of lacing.

S: Thin chocolate & malty sweetness. There is a metallic note and a slight tartness. Not good. Weak & watery – smell is there, but thin and stretched.

T: Chocolate more than roast. Just a pinch of coffee briefly flashes way in the finish. Base is nutty & malty sweet with an okay dose of oatmeal. Quite a bit of dark fruit and soft tartness. Background herbal hops at the end. A bit dry & thin & biting. Again – stretched and watery.

M: Well on the thin side of medium body with over-matched carbonation. Way more than it needs and distractingly expansive & mouthfilling. More bite and quench than appropriate in a stout. Still, it does manage a hint of oatmeal creaminess, a touch of chew, and a semi-sweet finish.

D: Appears to have quality control issues in the bottling, but to be fair I believe I have an older bottle. I bit this would be better fresher and/or on tap. It is more interesting than the typical macro, but not necessarily more drinkable or enjoyable. Benefit of the doubt on this review. (1,361 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Beige head that leaves ring lace. Dark brown color where nearly no light shines through.

Mild aroma of darker malts--little else.

Spritzy like a soda. There's a light fruitiness. I think this is far closer to a brown ale. The body is thin, particularly for a oatmeal stout. The aftertaste dies nearly immediately. Perhaps the weakest stout I've ever had. (357 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -19.7%

This stout was sampled at home in conjunction with Belfast Bat McGovern's Oatmeal Stout. Compared to the latter, Brown's was lacking in a few qualities. Being that I am a huge fan of dark stouts, I did enjoy this beer. However, I found it to be average at best when it comes to Oatmeal stouts. This beer was a bit too fizzy for a stout, lost it's head rather quickly, and had a clear/thin appearance along the edges of the glass. The taste, though with some of that trademark oatmeal taste, was slightly bitter and not as full, rich, or creamy as better Oatmeal stouts often are. I remember enjoying this stout more when I visited the Brown's brewery in Troy, NY and had it out of the tap. I will give this another try, though am not impressed with this bottled effort. (769 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle in trade from a forgotten source. Sorry and thanks!
Pours a mostly black color with a medium lived light tan head. Smell is smooth lightly roasted malt and creaminess. Taste is lightly roasty with a metallic and dry finish. Medium to light bodied but a bit of a watery flavor. Kind of a dull flavor and a touch tart, almost as if this isn't very fresh. No idea of bottles age, however. (392 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

This beer had no discernable scent whatsoever! It is the deep brown/black one expects from a stout. Somehow the Willamette hops do not bitter the brew enough, yet it is not sweet either!

The bottle claims its been declared " the worlds finest example of the style" earning a Gold at the WorldBeer Cup in 04. It's probably good that I was not on that judging panel!

(368 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a very dark brown...almost black. No light gets through when held up to light. Off-white head, good carbonation.
No smell at all...ok, its mild but I know its beer.
taste of coffee...toffee and caramel
Yea, its a stout...no personality
not a big fan (256 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%

A-pours black with a two finger width tan head with average retention
S-sweet malt, coffee, and chocolate
T-a little toasted malt with the after taste bringing more of the coffee flavor. Not much chocolate pulls through in the flavor
M-medium bodied
O-Meh. Lacks a little flavor for the style and although it is quite drinkable I have had many oatmeal stouts that are superior. Not terrible, but wouldn't necessarily buy again (426 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It did not grab me. I found the head to be blah. It was virtually null and dissipated quickly. It was black
Reminded me of a flat soda. No punch. No tingle. Did not excite my senses at all. =( (192 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Little to no carbonation (no head at all), no lacing, mouthfeel very thin. Taste is not as robust as I would like. Very muted...thought I had an off bottle so I opened another one...same exact results. Would not recommend. (225 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -33.4%

A- Stubby twelve ounce bottle drops a pitch black brew to my tulip. The head is tan and forms with a strange frothy fizzy texture almost like soda. Cap reaches half a finger, quickly dies and lacing is non-existent.

S- Sweet milk chocolate, medium toasted nuts and oxidation are the main components of this aroma. Slight burnt grains, cocoa powder and raisins also come to mind.

T- Rather fruity for me with dark dried varietals like raisin and cherry coming to mind. Along with that comes toffee, charred malts, toasted grains, milk chocolate and cereal grains like of course the oats. Carrying over from the nose is an oxidized feel which also might be a yeast off-flavor; I remember it from my early home-brew.

MF- Medium bodied with a slick oily feel to it while the texture itself is lacking. Somewhat watery with just a bit of frothy consistency. Soda-esque feeling from the medium-high carbonation.

Lacks that great silky and creamy body I find and look for in this style. From there it cascades downward with a heavy dose of fruits and something that feels like yeast off flavors (reminds me of my early homebrewing days). Very underwhelming compared to the great Stouts out there today. (1,199 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz. bottle courtesy of innuendobrewskiman63 (thanks Jeff). Served in a standard pint glass. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a thin fizzy head that effervesces and dissipates immediately off the pour. Nose is not what I expected - cherry notes dominate, followed by the merest suggestion of dark malts and maybe a hint of brown sugar. Taste - not great, tart cherries, acidic, old coffee grounds, metallic notes - it's pretty bad. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a lively, almost prickly carbonation and some astringency. Well - hopefully this is just a bad bottle, but this is one of the worst beers I've had in a while. Definitely infected if I had to guess. The first beer I've drain-poured in quite a while. (728 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -59.3%

From bwyker in the SecretBunny.07 BIF. 22oz bottle with note dating.

Deep brown/black like coca-cola. Thin looking. No head/lace or detectable carbonation. Off-putting nose, packed with butterscotch and acetaldehyde; possibly infected.

Zero on the carbonation, it's much like a flat watered-down cola. Slightly tangy, tons of carmel, sticky sweet. Isovaleric, phenolic, and some mercaptan (off-putting defects). Maybe too much roasted barley made it too thick? Undrinkable. Has a sweet roasted porter-type flavor. I don't think this was a very old bottle, and I also think they need to be alot more thorough with the sanitation around the brewery. Hope this helps. (671 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last