Whoop Pass IPA - Silver City Brewing Co.

Whoop Pass IPAWhoop Pass IPA

Silver City Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: RoyalT on 11-12-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ScreamForMe

11-18-2011 02:20:50 | More by ScreamForMe
SickBrew

4.93/5  rDev +22.6%

Had this last night courtesy of my brother in law. My half of the bomber poured with a nice head that was persistent and left some great lacing. Color was a deep orange that seemed to call out - try me. Nose is super fragrant and even my 5 year old loved the smell. Aromas were very fresh and spoke of great northwest hops, grapefruit, citrus piny and mildly grassy. Just plain great.

Taste totally follows nose. In addition to being a very hoppy tasting brew the caramel sweetness seems to come out more than some of the other big IPA's around and adds another element. Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is medium to high. The drinkability factor, to me, is what sets this IPA apart. It just keeps demanding that you take drink after drink. It's that good.

cheers

12-24-2008 20:09:14 | More by SickBrew
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

Acquired via trade from waldowin so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright orange/amber color with a medium-sized, thick foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The smell is very hoppy and very sweet, a very nice combination of hops and citrus.

T: Bitter hops hit you up front and it’s quickly followed by a pleasant malty, fruity sweetness. As the beer warms, the hops get stronger, but at the same time blend with the sweetness to bring more balance.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: This is the type of beer that once you take your first sip, you won’t want to switch to anything else for the rest of the night.

09-21-2006 04:54:26 | More by TheManiacalOne
loren01

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Pours a orange color, nice 2 finger width frothy white head and great lace down the glass.
S: Smells of fruits, sweet malts and citrusy hops. Very nice!
T: Nice sweet fruity and sweet malt up front followed by herbal earthy hops. ETOH is very well hidden, I can't believe this is 9% abv.
M: Medium bodied, real resiny.
D: This is a great beer...my new favorite from this brewery.

08-17-2010 00:28:49 | More by loren01
ReebShorts

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

I love this beer. I'm local to the brewery so get a chance to sample the wares on a regular basis. This beer is great from the pour on, orangish in color and so tasty. Head is a couple inches in my 22 ounce vip mug and only fades only slightly sticking around until the last pull (avg. 7 to 8 pulls per 22 oz. mug). Lacing is as evident as year marks on a tree throughout.

This has a slight burnt citrus (Orange and Apricot) taste, floral hoppiness, and alcohol, but is blended masterfully. at 9+% it only takes a few sips to feel some warmth and find out what this baby is all about. yummm, try this on tap if you ever get the chance.

I actually look forward to Mondays, as they have a VIP special of only $2.50 per 22 oz mug. I usually have a few of these after work on Monday as they are so damn tasty. This is the best deal I know of considering the quality of all of their brews. I will review the Scotch Ale another favorite of mine soon.

08-16-2005 02:50:07 | More by ReebShorts
snohojimbo

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

04-27-2013 00:24:22 | More by snohojimbo
ottobon100

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

I was just in Silverdale and always go to Silver City when I'm there. This Whoop Pass IPA right from the tap is by far my favorite beer ever! I am a huge fan of IPA's and this particular dark, very hoppy, strong beer (>9%) is awesome. My friend said he thought it was bitter but he normally drinks "light" beers. It is listed as "seasonal" so I don't know how long they will have it on their list.

08-14-2004 20:09:04 | More by ottobon100
BuckeyeOne

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Taken from notes from Summer 2009. Previously reviewed but lost from the website.

Poured from 22 oz. bottle a nice sparkly amber with a foamy head that left just a bit of lacing.

The aroma consisted of a powerful punch of pine, grapefruit, citrus, and grass. Just a hint of malty sweetness.

The flavor followed the smell --- piney, citrusy hop bitterness up front with a sweet malt backbone that doesn't interfere with the fresh hops. This is a great tasting DIPA made with fresh Washington hops. This is not a balanced DIPA --- it is tremendously hop forward that takes advantage of fresh Yakima hops.

Nice carbonation to counter the sticky resin. Thicker mouthfeel than other DIPAs I've had.

Given this is a Spring seasonal release (just when I'm in the mood for IPAs after a long winter of stouts and porters), I could drink many of these. The high ABV might limit the number that I could have, but these taste good enough that I would drink only these in a sitting.

03-16-2010 17:22:41 | More by BuckeyeOne
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I am sampling a room temp bottle in a pint glass. The beer is courtesy of Mickey.
The beer pours a clear bright amber color with off white fluffy head of 3 cm foaming up easily. Aroma is all hops but lots of different scents! I get pine, grass, some grapefruit and a bit of lighter floral notes. Pine is dominant aroma for sure.
Quite appealing nose. First sip reveals an average body with slightly oily mouthfeel.
Carbonation is very soft and almost non-existant. almost cask like.
Flavor is sweet caramel for a 100th of a second then all hops.
I get orange peel, grapefruit and pine sap throughout my mouth. there is a slight stickiness on my lips after each sip.
I get a lingering orange peel bitter in back of mouth each sip.
The beer is a hop head fantasy. Although I am more a malty I can still say this is a Damn fine beer!
It is very smooth and tasty, and even with higher bitterness not difficult to drink.
A very nice beer from west coast thta I would search out if in WA!

09-07-2005 02:58:01 | More by sulldaddy
meathookjones

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours out clear amber with a good four fingers high of off white fluffy head. The glass was completely covered in lacey foam and it retains a cap of foam for the duration. Huge hops in the nose citric grapefruit, floral and piney notes galore. Now this is what I expect for a DIPA to smell like, simply fantastic. Some light caramel and toasty malts are notes beneath the tons of hops. Plenty of hops upfront on the flavor kicking your tongue around. Great floral, earthy and piney hops and a great bitterness. Light sweet caramel and a toasty malt backs up all those hops nicely. Dry bitter floral finish that lingers for a bit. Pretty full body with a prickly feel from the hops raking over your tongue. Very tasty stuff that I found quite drinkable. Definitely something I wish I could get locally, excellent stuff.

09-30-2005 15:37:28 | More by meathookjones
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dark orange-bronze with a hint of coral. The pale orange cap is fantastic. It's milkshake thick and looks as if it'll never melt. As anticipated, the upper portion of the glass is slathered with thick sheets of lace. A classic, clean DIPA look.

The nose is wall to wall to wall to wall hops. It smells like this will be a resin-filled hop bomb. Columbus and Cascade comprise the hop bill, for those who care about such things as much as I do. Orange and white grapefruit zest are in the lead, with evergreen bringing up the rear. Caramel and brown sugar are in the background, leading me to think the flavor contribution from the malt will play less of a role on the palate. I've lost track of my favorite DIPA noses of all-time, but this one is in the top dozen for sure.

If the word 'juicy' didn't exist, it would have to be invented to describe the exploding citrus fruitiness of Whoop Pass. The best attributes of the above two hops are on display for all to enjoy. Candied chunks of grapefruit and orange soak in pools of pine sap and brown sugar syrup. There isn't quite enough malt to put me in mind of a DIPA, but there's definitely enough hoppiness to do so.

Although cloaking 9% isn't easy, the brewers have very nearly pulled it off. Alcohol is barely evident on the palate; I had to go looking for it. The finish goes on forever, with interminable echoes of citric hoppiness becoming fainter and fainter until I can no longer stand it and take another gulp. Rarely have I wished more fervently that my bomber would turn into a '750'.

The mouthfeel has become more composed with warming and is now in that netherworld between medium and full. It's expansive, semi-sticky, ultra smooth and a whisker away from chewy. Appearance update: the beer is now moderately hazy and it looks as if the lace will need to be removed with a chisel.

Whoop Pass (D)IPA is yet another in a long line of hop monsters from America's upper left hand corner. Silver City has done themselves proud and have carried on the regional tradition of brewing remarkably hoppy, amazingly delicious beer. A huge Thank You to the celebrated RoyalT for the bomber.

09-16-2005 22:55:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
RoyalT

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance – Clear, brownish-orange body with a head that was kind of small but that lasted awhile and pitted, lacing the glass beautifully.

Smell – Strong, raunchy hops define this aroma. There’s huge pine with some citrus and something else that I can’t identify, but this is probably one of the sharpest hop aromas that I have every smelled.

Taste – Man, this is huge! By far the biggest hops of any beer that I have ever tasted. As stated earlier, I can pick up the gigantic pine and secondary citrus, but there’s much more in this one that I just don’t have the experience to describe. The bottom line is that THIS IS ONE HOPPY ALE!

Mouthfeel – Close to full-bodied and extremely dry. The hop finish goes on forever.

Drinkability – If you don’t like hops, I wouldn’t go near this one. Really, I wouldn’t even talk to someone who has drunk this beer in the last ten days. But, if you’re like me and love hops of all kinds, this is the Buddha.

11-12-2003 03:50:43 | More by RoyalT
Knuckles

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, consider myself an IPA (or double IPA, for that matter) drinker. However, as Silver City is my kick, AND they are out of both Imperial Stout (for the freakin' year, he said with a tear in his eye as he only has three bottles left in the house) AND Fat Bastard (only for the week, but it's still hard, dammit!) my eye is turned to their other big beer, Whoop Pass.

I tend to prefer double IPAs (or imperials, what frickin' ever) as a beer drinking experience, simply because my palate seems to find them to be a more complete beer (whatever the hell that means). I've been hitting the Whoop Pass pretty goddam hard lately, and as it's now a regular tap at SC (yes kids, it's true. Even listed on their ferakin' menu), I'm thinking that this beer doesn't suck. My extensive investigation would prove that to be true. I absolutely love this imperial/double IPA. It's goddam brilliant.

Appearance: So I'm sitting at the table with my wife, and the towering 23 oz. mug of Whoop shows up. Just this incredibly beautiful, deep, gorgeous orange. I love that color. Pumpkin is really the name I'm looking for (were I to admit to watching HGTV at all, but I won't, not in this forum). So she says to me (with a good friend within earshot), "That's a beautiful color." I respond, "I'd like to paint the kitchen that color." That's the end of that, sadly. The kitchen is still red.

Smell: Oh, please allow me to worship at the altar of the blessed St. Chinook. Smells like Chinook to me, but I've not ever asked the Big Daddy himself to find out if it's true. Lordy lord, do I love that hop aroma.

Taste: This is one hoppy mofo, but it has one badass malt backbone. No overpowering alcohol flavors to get in your face, just a pleasant heavy malt presence that very skillfully balances out the hoppiness. The hops truly do kick you in the ass the instant this baby lands on your tongue, but the malts then show up subtly, but forcefull, to escort them to either side of your tongue so the sweet can peaceably occupy the middle. Winning hearts and minds, as they say (and tongues, if you knowhamsayn...).

Mouthfeel: Again, as with most of Don Spencer's big beers, I will say "perfection". Hell, I gave this a 4.5 just to avoid the appearance of homerism, but screw it. The mouthfeel in this beauty is exactly right. The weight of the beer as it sits in your mouth so perfectly compliments the malt and hop character of the beer, that it warrants nothing else. Five it is, dammit.

Drinkability: The only thing in the way of a perfect 5.0 for this baby is the 9.25% ABV. I can session it, as long as I've got a designated driver. Tonight I did (but had to stop at two). This is a magnificent beer.

Don Spencer deserves all kinds of props for his skills in delivering very skillfully crafted, insanely balanced big beers. Homeboy knows his stuff, and I wish I'd had a third Whoop tonight. It's goddam spectacular. Seek it out and enjoy it, dammit.

07-12-2005 05:39:03 | More by Knuckles
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

.26 gallon pop top jug. Pours a dark orange color with a one finger head leaving a nice lace. Decent smell of citrusy hops and grains. The taste has an incredibly fresh, straight from the brewery aura, with a perfect balance of sweet malts and strong floral hops. Has a silky smooth, full body. The strong hops are there from start to finish but they don't overpower the malts. And the 9% alcohol? where is it ? Oh yeah, whoopass, there it is ! !

10-01-2004 07:52:32 | More by beerceller99
FirstMan

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is really the quintessential Northwest IPA in my most humble opinion. I've had it on tap at the brewery in Silverdale and also in the bottle. As per usual, this is slightly better on tap - but really only slightly. If you manage to get a bottle of this, don't frown - you are still in for a major treat

Orange-gold coloring with a fairly firm head that lingers for a while. The color is deep and rich - hard to put a label on. This is one of those beers that's just fun to look at for a while.

Hops hops hops in the nose. Just wonderful.

One of the great things about brew from the Puget Sound area is that they don't pull their punches when it comes to flavor. This beer is just about as perfect an example of that as you'll find. Big, bracing, clean hop flavor is well balanced by the somewhat creamy mouth feel. Just when you think that you might get overwhelmed by the hops, you realize that this might be one of the most refreshing summertime beers around. I could drink this all day if it wasn't for the fact that I'd be found several hours later passed out under a clothes display at the Silverdale mall. The higher alcohol content will get to you pretty damn quick.

This beer - along with Silver City's Fat Bastard - are reason enough to make the ferry ride over from Seattle. Hell, they're reason enough to make the trip to Washington.

08-22-2005 16:10:55 | More by FirstMan
garthwaite

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Sampled from a cool-lookin .26 gallon swingtop bottle, which was provided so generously by Mr. RoyalT. Based on the name & the packaging, I was very much looking forward to digging into this one. Poured into an imperial pint glass a bright bronze tinted amber with fierce carbonation and a thick, lovely head. Most definitely a hophead friendly aroma, very inviting - hints of sweetness with subtle lemon & big citrus & spicy hop. Biting, aggressive, crisp & clean in the mouth with active carbonation & beautiful bitterness. Sweet, slick malt base with hints of candied sugar & caramel. Raw, unadulterated hops aplenty - flowery citrus & pine. Meaty mouthfeel for an IPA - I like it. A bit of alcohol warmth deep in the belly. A tasty treat.

10-22-2004 20:16:53 | More by garthwaite
Lazaro

03-31-2013 22:57:35 | More by Lazaro
OldFrothingSlosh

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

0.26 gallon swing-top courtesy of RoyalT.

Appearance: Poured a wonderful hazy honey in color. Massive, thick, and creamy head stands proudly atop the brew. Lacing is impressive and complex.

Smell: This is the Eddie Murphy stand-up show of aromas..."RAW". What we have here is "Kick you in the nuts" aggressiveness in the hops department. Very strong and very nice.

Taste: Freshly-cut grassy, oily hops stand up and physically assault your palate, beating them to an unrecognizeable pulp. An oily pine cone then wedges itself between your teeth and refuses to budge. Possibly one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. Barely anything stands in the way of the avalanche of hops that invades your mouth. Finishes with a very long-lasting, mouth-puckering, lip-smacking bitterness. This is a 9% ABV beer but it is kicked aside by the myriad of hops that leave it trampled underfoot.

Mouthfeel: "Large". Full-bodied and sticky on the palate.

Drinkability: Folks...if you don't like hops, steer clear of this one. The burps this one kicked up were a symphony to witness. This is "the" beer for the evening.

RoyalT scores yet again with this hop monster.

Serving type: growler

08-01-2012 00:01:43 | More by Kspoon
francisweizen

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

.26 gallon swing top bottle. This is an awesome looking dark red brew with a huge head of off-white foam. The aromas are very hoppy, rough and raw. Quite reminiscent of a blend of nugget nectar and 90 minute. The taste is an over-the-top-hop explosion! Their are some balancing malts in their somewhere but this stuff is all about the tart, grassy, piney, citric hops! The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and this stuff is too damn easy to drink. I polished this off after two LaConner IPA's and I was more than a little sauced....so....drink this one with caution. I guess the swingtop is so you don't drink it all in one sitting!

04-21-2004 20:35:54 | More by francisweizen
snaotheus

22oz bottle poured into a 22oz mug

Pours a nice golden amber with a big frothy head, very visible carbonation, and stunning lacing. Fairly cloudy with a small amount of visible sediment disturbed by my pour. Smells strongly of pine with a little citrus and a lot of floral.

Taste is big hops (pine and bitter) with an excellent sweetness to balance it out.

Mouthfeel is smooth, not clingy or gummy at all. Very drinkable (probably enough to get me into trouble). Definitely one of the best beers I've tried in a while.

07-17-2009 00:52:08 | More by snaotheus
IronGiant

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A friend gave me a bottle of this from the brewery. It's one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

Pours golden and beautiful. Smells like heaven. Great hops without being overly bitter. Completely drinkable. I wish I had a second bottle or enough cash to fly to the brewery!

08-12-2010 04:02:19 | More by IronGiant
henrysunset

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

1/4 gallon bottle of strong beer warrants the right occasion. We cracked into this whike brewing a batch of brown ale and firing up the barbecue.

Golden and dark brew with a head of fine tan bubbles. Smell was hoppy and fragrant, Smelled exceptionally fresh.

Taste is just what you want in an IPA. Very well balanced, hoppy and floral, with noticeable yeastiness (which I like). Aftertaste was very crisp and refreshing, bitter but in a nice subtle way.

It was a bit thin and astringent, but overall, amazing and incredibly pleasing. Never have I tried a high-alcohol beer that was so crisp and dry.

06-28-2004 16:58:42 | More by henrysunset
Mora2000

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release.

The beer pours an orange color with a decent-sized white head. The aroma definitely lets you know this is a double IPA. I get a lot of pine and orange notes as well as a little bit of biscuit malt.

The flavor is more of the same. There is a medium bitterness in the beer and a lot of pine from the hops. There is also a little bit of orange citrus and biscuit malt, but the beer is dominated by the piney hops. The alcohol is well hidden and the beer is easy to drink.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice Double IPA.

09-10-2011 20:28:33 | More by Mora2000
Whoop Pass IPA from Silver City Brewing Co.