Fat Scotch Ale - Silver City Brewing Co.

Fat Scotch AleFat Scotch Ale

Silver City Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: RoyalT on 11-27-2003

Previously known as Fat Bastard AAle.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Scotch Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 83

Simply put the best Wee Heavy I have ever had period. This might be the first 5 I have given a beer but frankly words due no justice to the true character and taste of this beer. Smokey roasted caramel goodness, long lasting full body mouth coating, eye gouging tongue bitting pleasure. So good it hurts and yet another reason to visit the great northwest. Trade, buy, fight, this beer is everything promised and more. Thanks Knuckles, the wait was worth it.

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

I've avoided reviewing this beer for as long as I've been a member of BA, simply because it's impossible for me to be objective about the damn thing. I've been drinking it non-stop ever since its introduction back in the fall of 2001, and love it as much today as I did back then. Fat Bastard got its introduction as a beefed up version of Silver City's regular Scotch Ale (which I don't particularly care for). Don Spencer added more peated malt, brought up the alcohol from 6% to 9%, and created an instant classic for the style of Strong Scotch Ale. This beer won gold medals two years running at the GABF, so it's been recognized for its excellence. I'd recommend getting your hands on some so you can recognize its excellence as well. If I were to equate a specific beer to a specific woman, this beer is Salma Hayek. Dark, intoxicating, beguiling, addictive, and not afraid to kick your ass.

Appearance: I am a Brewmaster VIP at Silver City (I realize I mention this all the time, but I'm just trying to justify the expense), so I get my beer in the big glass. This glass has caused great amounts of consternation amongst my drinking companions, as it seems to engender feelings of inadequacy. Don't feel inadequate, good people, enjoy your damn beer. What this means is that I get my beer in a 22 oz. mug that is approximately a foot tall. On the tray and on the table, the VIP glass filled with Fat Bastard possesses a sense of mystery and self-confidence that reminds me (for no particular reason) of the monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey". Fortunately, there are no shilleighly-wielding monkeys about, so I can drink this dark brown beauty with the light brown head in peace. (SONOFABITCH!!!! I've already used this goddam line, and with a goddam Silver City beer no less. Crap.I'll have to edit.)

Take 2: On the tray and on the table, the VIP glass filled with Fat Bastard possesses a sense of mystery and self-confidence that reminds me of George W. Bush, yet I know my beer is smarter. I'm also quite confident that if elected, this beer will give me my four dollars worth.

Smell: Peat. Malt. Smoke. Beer. Mmmmm...this beer is a cornucopia of "ohmyfuckyes" aromas. The nose has just a hint of peat to it. It doesn't have the "Angus! Bring me another glass of fookin' whisky!" type of smell that the Traquair House Ale does, but it still smells damn good to me. In the words of Blackalicious, "Just a whiff of her ferment will make your knees get weak." My knees are weak now just thinking about it.

Taste: This is where my review always breaks down. How to describe the taste? Beautifully malty, just a wee bit smoky, and always, ALWAYS delicious. There's a brown sugar quality to it that reminds me of the sauce poured over Bananas Foster. This is a beer without fault to me, and the only beer in the world that my father and I agree on. Were we to be restricted to one beer only for the rest of our lives, this beer would be it.

Mouthfeel: I've never french kissed Salma Hayek (although it is on my 'to-do' list), but I hope her tongue feels half as sexy in my mouth as this beer does. It has the viscosity of melted ice cream, yet never leaves anything behind on the tongue. It wants to be with you, be part of you, and I welcome it's invasion each and every time. (That goes for the beer as well as Salma.)

Drinkability: I'm going to mark this bad boy down to a 4.5, simply because it's a 9.0% beer. I've had three of the 22 oz. Fats before, and needed to be shepherded home. Take your time and enjoy a pint, or two, or three. I mean, come on, would you limit the time you spent with Salma? I sure as hell wouldn't. Unless it got in the way of me getting another VIP Fat.

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type - 22 oz bomber into a glass

Appearance - Deep, dark brown, almost black color, with a thick, cream colored head and nice retention. You know this beer means business when you see it.

Smell - Sweet malt, and a bit of peat/smokiness. Notes of caramel, toffee, and perhaps vanilla

Taste - Taste is amazing! Lots of malty goodness. Notes of toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and a bit of peat. Perhaps some hints of dark fruit in there as well. This beer is exceptional!

Mouthfeel - Rich, decadent, and indulgent. Thick and creamy, but at the same time, not overly "big", and surprisingly drinkable.

Drinkability - Way too much for a 9% beer, that's for sure!

This is an outstanding Scotch Ale, and at this point, remains my favorite one. Silver City Brewing may not be that well known outside of Washington, but with a beer this good, maybe that will change. A must-try beer if you see it!

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured a chocolate brown color, good sized head, no lacing observed
S: Sweet fruity nose, sweet as in slight mollasses scent as well. Slight alcohol scent in there too
T: Fruity tasting, possibly apple, pear, grape. Sweet mollasses like taste, alcohol is well hidden for being 9%
M: Smooth creamy, slightly dry finish
D: Awesome scotch ale, very flavorfull, would for sure have this again, what a treat!!

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This. Beer. Is. Amazing.

Poured from a 22oz bomber I snagged from Trader Joes in Bellingham into a Innis & Gunn thistle, it is a beautiful deep red/brown with a small off-white head. Looks similar to a cola or root beer.

Aroma is full of malt sweetness, with toffee, caramel and brown sugar notes. A hint of smoke and slight spice and booziness, as well as sasparilla (maybe?)

Taste follows the nose wonderfully with big, sweet malts dominating the palate. Caramel, toffee, and brown sugar coming on all at once. The smokiness that appeared shy-ly on the nose is much more evident here, playing nice with smooth fruity characteristics of raisins and prunes. A slight bitterness is also present, and no hop flavor is detectable. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden, if I had to guess from a blind tasting I would put it around 6% but it is a whopping 9.2%. As it warms the raisin, prune and alcohol become a bit more prominent, as well as another flavor that is hard to discern. (Almost a sort of nuttiness)

The mouth-feel is smooth and slightly sticky with medium-low carbonation that compliments the flavor profile nicely.

Overall, probably the best scotch ale I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. (And I’ve tried very many) It remains complex and flavorful in a style of beer where it is all too easy to become one dimensional. Definitely one of my favorites.

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Fat Bastard holds the distinction of winning two consecutive GABF gold medals in the Scotch-style ale category. Sure, the GABF gives out medals like airline peanuts. But two golds in a row is pretty impressive, and clearly, Fat Bastard is deserving of high praise.

FB is clear ruby-merlot with sluggish CO2 and a complex smell reminiscent of rum-raisin and port wine. The rich, malty flavor is elegant and receives no intrusion from the 9.2% alcohol. Similarly, though peat malts define the finish quite nicely, they are not overstated and know when to back down.

This beer sits soundly in the winner’s category and makes a great finish to a long, celebratious evening. For best results, allow Fat Bastard to warm ‘till nearly at room temperature.

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Much props to Warriorsoul for providing the Scotchy goodness...First had on tap at Redbones the day after Thanksgiving 2005, and was too lazy to review it then...

Pours brown with a thin tan head not too much going on with lacing....malty, sugary, smoky smell almost smells a bit like leather (not in a bad way)....Undescribably tasty, almost too good for words, sweet malty flavor with a nice smoky undercurrent, a little bit of heat from the alcohol, but it enhances the flavor instead of being a deterrent....Smooth creamy flavor goes down easy, a well balanced scotch for sure....Dammit why don't I live in the PNW....Could drink this baby all night except for the 9% ABV, but I could definitely slam down two after dinner...

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Dajtai007 for the trade.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. At first a two finger beige head forms that quickly fades to a ring. Light lace is left behind.
S: An awesome aroma of toasted malt, chocolate, light coffee, and some toffee sweetness. More than that, huge peat, wood, and some smoke as well. Everything I love in my favorite style.
T: The nose is huge, and the flavor does not disappoint. Toasted malt up front with lots of chocolate and sweet toffee. Big peat and smoke that many American versions skimp on. Excellent.
M/D: A big full body that is low on the carbonation. Incredibly smooth, creamy, and decadent. Such an easy beer to sip on. A great night cap.

This is really exceptional. Maybe the best American version of a Wee Heavy I have come across (Founders Backwards Bastard is the only other that comes to mind). My favorite style, and Silver City has done it right. Highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Pulled this out of the fridge, and let it sit until it was a cool temperature.

Pours a deep dark garnet/amber color, with a nice big sturdy white head. Great beer to look at.

Aromas are of booze, stewed dark fruits, and a bit of a sweat tea like smell.

Flavors are great. Smooth creamy dark fruit flavors, some chocolate, a bit of peat and smoke, and a nice crisp slightly bitter finish. Beer is quite flavorful and complex, yet remarkably smooth.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth, full, and well rounded. Exceptional.

Drinkability? WOW! It's been years since I tried this one. And my memory serves me correctly, this is an outstanding beer. Full flavored, yet smooth as can be. Really easy to drink, and really enjoyable. Very easy to drink despite the 9% ABV.

Thanks again phucket for the bottle! I think I need more! This will stay on the wants list.

Washingtonian's, you have a little gem of a brewery up there in Silverdale.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

58 degrees in a 32 oz swingtop bottle - poured a dark amber, with light sneaking through on both sides. As it settled, the color darkened to a blood red, with brownish swirls. Nice 1/2-1" head which disappates quickly.

Smell is almost all malt with a touch of smokey residue. Perhaps a little dried fruit.

Taste - well, my o my, insanely smooth, with caramel, smoked woods and a little alchohol tinge. As beer warmed to about 65 degrees, the alchohol jumped out a little more, and the malt seemd to become "multi-layered." Smokey taste rises in the profile and the beer finishes a little drier. Still, wow, what a taste, what an insanely wonderful concoction. This is, to me, the perfect blend of whiskey/smoke/caramelly malts I could ask for.

Mouthfeel - wish I could get more in my mouth to swirl around...lol! Seriously, this is amazing.

Drinkability - well, at 9 percent, it isn't an "have a six pack" kind of beer. But it is imminently drinkable, and I would drink one again and again and again. I wish Silverdale were closer to Atlanta.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Very stylish, .23 gallon swingtop bottle, obtained via trade with waldowin. Served slightly chilled into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter. Pours a very deep brown body with an incredibly creamy, light brown head that is about one finger tall. Head is quite sturdy for the 9% abv, and lacing varies from sheets to island chains.

Aroma is bold, with vinous white grapes immediately leading into a kick of Scotch Whisky. Toffee, caramel, and brown sugar front an enormous malty profile. Smoky peat is prominent and engaging, and there is a pleasant fruity hint of berries and cherries.

Mouthfeel is almost full bodied, smooth and velvety, with the expected low carbonation and some alcohol warming that is welcome on a cold winter night. Slightly syrupy, in a good way.

Taste has lots of malty toffee with a kiss of brown sugar. Smoky peat and Scotch whisky notes are present all the way through. A restrained fruitiness of plums and cherries segues into figs as room temperature arrives. Turns a bit dry toward the finish, with a lasting smokiness embraced by the Scotch whisky notes.

I spent two hours enjoying this puppy, and each sip was better than the last. Very smooth, with a dangerous degree of drinkability. Quite a treat!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Many thanks to the reigning queen BA Skyhand for the bottle sent to me many moons ago and left to age in my cellar a wee while.

This one got the better of me, I admit. I think I became sort of jaded over time in that I've tried a LOT of scotch ales and a lot of them frankly don't cut it. I'm not sure exactly what some brewers are thinking a wee heavy is but there sure are some "interesting" examples out there. I'd been sitting on this bottle for the better part of a year, sort of just letting it slide not wanting to be let down by yet another yankee attempt at my country of heritage's finest style of beer.

So on a cool early autumn night I decided to give it a crack, the timing just felt right. I sure am glad I did. This is truly a very good wee heavy all told, let me expand:

Pours a rich and dark brown with jewelled ruby tones around the edges and medium creamy head that left a swirling crown all throughout my pint. Nose is intensely malty, fruity with deep caramel wafts, bits and hints of smoke and peat, quite inviting and beautiful. Taste is quite amazing, again, quite malty with a good touch of peat and smoke. There are some devious caramel and toffee tones as well, very rich and complex and warming, as a good scotch ale should be. Mouthfeel is creamy and full, with plenty of body, but remains light enough to remain dangerously drinkable, the alcohol, while present, is nicely tucked into the background like a sgian dubh in yer kilt hose. I would drink a LOT of this if I had the resources to procure a steady supply.

Slàinte mhath!
This one'll wake ye in tha mornin' lads!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A- About 1/2" thick tan head on a lightly clouded ruby body.
S- Toffee, dark fruits, earthy tones, light grass hops, sweet cherries (almost candy like).
T- Sweet cherries come through a malt base with some light grass hops. You get some earthy tones in it as well. Hints of other fruits in there as well. Maybe a light raisin. Very nice!
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation.
D- I really like this. More on the cherry side than most wee heavies but very tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber at 50F.

A - Pours a dark brown with some reddish tint as well. Quiet dark, but not black. Medium head that disappeared quickly, and very minimal lacing.

S - Very malty, with lots of caramel notes. Some whisky scents as well.

T - Pretty darn good I must say. This is an excellent overall beer, with a very nice flavor profile. Lots of malty caramel and molasses goodness of course, but just a hint of smoke and of course the whiskey boozy taste is there just at the tip of your tongue, and some spice on the finish. A bit of oak as well, as if this was casked aged (don't think it is). Sweetens as it warms. Overall, great.

M - Oh so smooth and easy to drink. Low carbonation as fits the style, and a real nice soft, chewy feel to it.

D - Well, it is 9% so one bomber sneaks up on you pretty good. A definite sipper though, and would be a great brew on a cold, windy night (too bad it is like 85 today...). Nevertheless, for the style, it does everything right and thus you have to give it high marks here also.

A very satisfying, potent ale - and I can see why this is one of their most popular.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

.26 gallon swing top obtained at the brew pub a month prior.

Deep dark black ale with a light brown cloud-like head. Nice.

Vanilla, cola, chocolate, and roasty malt aromas present.

Holy shit this is better than I remember. Starts sweet with chocolate cake, fig, vanilla, roasted malt, toffee, smoke, dark caramel, and light coffee flavors. Some subtle spice flavors in the middle. Finishes with a very slight twang that is both tasty and refreshing. Bitterness is low.

Silky and heavy bodied (as the beer's name suggests). Lingers on the tongue without being cloying. Nice.

This is so drinkable for being such a fat assed beer; alcohol is hardly noticeable and taste is fantastic make it a gulper. Highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Yet another left over Silver City beer from a Silver City dinner/tasting at Collin's Pub in April 2007. I paired this side by side with the Fat Woody (thanks to a very generous trade/donation by Knuckles), and while the latter was fabulous, I preferred the Fat Bastard.

The beer pours a brilliant cherry orange color with with very good foam retention and lacing. On the nose one picks up a lot of sweet malt, with aromas of cherry, rootbeer and vanilla. This beer smells absolutely delicious. On the palate this beer is remarkably drinkable for its abv., with more cherry, vanilla, orange and grapefruit flavor. The beer does not taste the least bit heavy and has a very soft, light plush mouthfeel. As others have noted, this beer only improves over time in the glass, and is at its best not served too cold.

This beer is so easy to drink that, with it's abv., it probably should be illegal. An excellent beer from Silver City.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Many thanks to Skyhand for a growler of this wonderful Scotch Ale.
I really can't begin to evaluate it...it's very complex, yet so balanced in it's flavors that it seems simple.
Toasted amber malts give way to a light smokiness...sweet caramel, brown sugar and somehow a hint of hops on the tail end...enough to cleanse the palette and leave a slight drying although there is the lingering wonderful sweetness of the amber malts tasting a lot like candy or caramel.
This is a delicious Scotch Ale...too delicious. I'm gonna finish the growler tonight by myself and that may be a sin...but sinfully indulgent and delicious.
Pray for me in the morning.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

Thank you to my coworker and friend who brought this down to give to me to let me try. Thank you a LOT!
WOAH!
Pours a dark dark brown that is almost impossible to see through even when held up to the light (BAD MAN don't do that!) and has a smallish head that retains a fair amount of lacing. The first thing I noticed was the amazing pleasantly strong scent that flew out of this beer! Something resembling a candied scotch on the rocks with a freshly cut lawn thrown in for good measure spiced with brown sugar... or something... i don't know. i'm sitting here by myself and said "WOAH! I don't even know how to describe that!" out loud. It tastes GREAT! It's like... it's like ... an imperial stout without the stoutiness and all the sweet and smooth that goes with it. i don't even know how to begin describing this beer. All around one of the better beers I've had. Before today I didn't even know Silver City Brewing Company existed. Now I'm a huge fan and want to try more of their products! If you see this beer, buy it, try it, enjoy it. It's very much worth it.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" tan head over the clear burgundy brew. Head fades slowly, with lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is sweet malts, with some peat, and light alcohol tints. Taste is very tight, with the noise's peaty malt dominant, and a lightly alcoholic close, which lingers warmly. Everything melds nicely together. Mouthfeel is tremendously smooth, and drinkability is excellent as well. Wouldn't mind having this regularly in the fridge.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Big thanks to SuzyGreenberg for this one.

Pours a nice deep dark ruby brown color with a fizzy tan head that dissipates pretty quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Nose is very estery with some peat and dark malt and grains. A slight smoke and a dry dark fruit smell.

Taste is quite good! A very nice dark fruit and peat bog smokiness with a good deep malt backbone. Taste starts off easy with some nice creamy dark fruit flavors. Some plummy taste and good vanilla cream like presence amplified by the mouthfeel. Some slight oak and peat smoke come through the middle with a big sweet malt profile. A belgian like yeast flavor coming out of this one. A great sweetness without being cloying. The finish is moderately dry, right where it should be. The aftertaste lingers with dark fruit and some creaminess.

Mouthfeel is very nice here, almost perfect. The only beef I have is that the carbonation is a bit high, A bit lower would be perfect here. Was really suprised at the mouthfeel after the nose was sort of thin. Nice slickness.

Drinkability is very solid here, especially for the abv. This one drinks like a 6% brew. Very high marks here. Goes down easy.

Overall this scotch ale gets very high marks. The nose and carbonation really need work. The aroma really indicates a fairly average scotch ale, but the taste and mouthfeel just bring this one to life. Lower the carbonation a bit and this one would be divine. Drinkability is nothing short of amazing here. The scores I haven given here really do not reflect how good this beer is. If we had a rating system that went into tenths this one would be in the solid A range for sure. Grrr. A great brew.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured out of a 750mL swing-top jug, aged for three months (I ran out of patience).

Appearance - Pours a dark, dark syrup, so dark it's black. When it's held to the light, thin streamers of blood red wrap around the sides which give hint to the true color. Absolutely massive head at least four fingers tall, so thick you could cut it with a knife (I actually did, as a test, the cut stayed). Fades to a thin cake of foam for several minutes, and finally fades to a sheen with a ring, and leaves ringlets all the way down. Very impressive for a beer this high in ABV. Every dark beer should have heads like this.

Smell - First hit is strongly of cinnamon, which surprised me. Having had this beer before, that wasn't something I'd noticed. Plums, scotch, and spiced rum. Almost a tropical smell.

Taste - Up front taste is malts. Caramel, toffee, buttery and some plum and molasses. Almost a bubble-gum like sweetness in there, like a Bazooka Joe is sitting on the bottom. A hint of smoked peat midway through, and a *very* slight hint of single-malt. Finishes with some cedar-like hops, and a bit of smoke. Definitely a big beer, it's easy to see how this won two golds back to back in '02 and '03.

Mouthfeel - Feels a bit slick (wondering if maybe this one was oxidized), and dry, at first. Then widens out to a massive chewy, bubbly feel, that almost literally tumbles along the tongue. The syrupy thickness of this brew combines with the large amount of carbonation to make a wonderful experience.

Drinkability - This stuff is scarily drinkable. It'd be so very easy to drink enough of this to be sick later, especially with all this sugar. Once it hits your lips, it pulls itself down your throat with abandon. The alcohol really sneaks up on you.

Would absolutely recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it, but it's so much fresher and bigger off the tap (I've had both tap and bottle).

As a footnote, as this beer warmed up, the buttery slickness faded, and the sweet notes got deeper. Once this beer hit about 50 degrees or so, it was fantastic. If you buy some, let it warm a bit before drinking it from the fridge.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Acquired via trade from waldowin, so a big "thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades very quickly and doesn’t leave very much lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is sweet and contains banana, vanilla, caramel and butterscotch.

T: Malty and sweet flavors of banana, dark fruit, butterscotch & vanilla hits you right away. There's a little bit of smokiness in there. After-taste is quite sweet.

M: Extremely smooth, medium-to-heavy body, light carbonation, clean finish without a lot of stickiness especially given the style.

D: An excellent beer, very tasty, easy-to-drink, not as filling as most beers in the style. This is definitely a sipper though.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured dark dark brown out of the bomber bottle. I've had this a few times on tap at the Silver City Brewpub in Silverdale, WA, but it's a bottle I've got right now, so it's a bottle I'll rate.

Smell is of raisins, molasses and little smoke. Very malty nose with overtones of alcohol.

Alcohol is the first thing you notice in the taste, but then the smoke sets in and sticks around for a while with notes of peat and lots of sweetness. It's a scotch for sure - and a robust one at that.

A slick, full mouth-feel, slightly tempered by the carbination.

This is a big, full bear of a beer. The huge flavors and the 9% alcohol content make this a treat, but not a session beer.

On tap at Redbones 11/17/06

A: Pours a dark merlot like color with a cloudyness to it. One finger cream colored head that has decent retetion and leaves nice lacing.
S: Sugary sweet caramel malt notes dominate the nostrils. Almost cotton candy like sweet presence.
T/M: Many flavors burst on the palate---green apple, cotton candy, caramel, dark fruit. Pretty damn sweet this Wee Heavy is. Malt notes dominate the palate. Sugary aftertaste with a cotton candy like essence to it. Nice bold body to this fat bastard. Extra smooth on the palate--almost scary. Abv goes completely masked--amazing, but again, scary as a couple of these could leave you stumbling home.
D: Wonderful Scotch Ale. I was suprised this stayed on tap long enough for me to try it. Very glad the rest of Boston didn't go after this one! Cheers to Chris for putting this on.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

It made my day when I stepped into Bottleworks and discovered Silver City was back on the shelf. It's been too long since I last had this and I bought an armload.

The pour is a ruddy reddish brown crowned by a half inch thick head.

I'm really digging the nose. It reminds me of the syrups they put atop ice cream at Dairy Queen ... not so much hot fudge but the others, like strawberry, caramel, and chocolate all mixed together.

Taste is much the same as the nose promised but with a hint of smokiness in the background. This is really great stuff.

The mouth is where this really shines. Carbonation isn't overplayed and the thick feel is s true treat. I could probably describe it better if this wasn't so damn potent!

As far as drinkability, I bought three of these without hesitation. 1 for now, and two for a couple years down the road. This'll only get better.

Fat Scotch Ale from Silver City Brewing Co.