Fat Scotch Ale - Silver City Brewing Co.

Fat Scotch AleFat Scotch Ale

Silver City Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.20% ABV

Previously known as Fat Bastard AAle.

(Beer added by: RoyalT on 11-27-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Scotch Ale Alström Bros

Simply put the best Wee Heavy I have ever had period. This might be the first 5 I have given a beer but frankly words due no justice to the true character and taste of this beer. Smokey roasted caramel goodness, long lasting full body mouth coating, eye gouging tongue bitting pleasure. So good it hurts and yet another reason to visit the great northwest. Trade, buy, fight, this beer is everything promised and more. Thanks Knuckles, the wait was worth it.

4.9/5  rDev +21%

I've avoided reviewing this beer for as long as I've been a member of BA, simply because it's impossible for me to be objective about the damn thing. I've been drinking it non-stop ever since its introduction back in the fall of 2001, and love it as much today as I did back then. Fat Bastard got its introduction as a beefed up version of Silver City's regular Scotch Ale (which I don't particularly care for). Don Spencer added more peated malt, brought up the alcohol from 6% to 9%, and created an instant classic for the style of Strong Scotch Ale. This beer won gold medals two years running at the GABF, so it's been recognized for its excellence. I'd recommend getting your hands on some so you can recognize its excellence as well. If I were to equate a specific beer to a specific woman, this beer is Salma Hayek. Dark, intoxicating, beguiling, addictive, and not afraid to kick your ass.

Appearance: I am a Brewmaster VIP at Silver City (I realize I mention this all the time, but I'm just trying to justify the expense), so I get my beer in the big glass. This glass has caused great amounts of consternation amongst my drinking companions, as it seems to engender feelings of inadequacy. Don't feel inadequate, good people, enjoy your damn beer. What this means is that I get my beer in a 22 oz. mug that is approximately a foot tall. On the tray and on the table, the VIP glass filled with Fat Bastard possesses a sense of mystery and self-confidence that reminds me (for no particular reason) of the monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey". Fortunately, there are no shilleighly-wielding monkeys about, so I can drink this dark brown beauty with the light brown head in peace. (SONOFABITCH!!!! I've already used this goddam line, and with a goddam Silver City beer no less. Crap.I'll have to edit.)

Take 2: On the tray and on the table, the VIP glass filled with Fat Bastard possesses a sense of mystery and self-confidence that reminds me of George W. Bush, yet I know my beer is smarter. I'm also quite confident that if elected, this beer will give me my four dollars worth.

Smell: Peat. Malt. Smoke. Beer. Mmmmm...this beer is a cornucopia of "ohmyfuckyes" aromas. The nose has just a hint of peat to it. It doesn't have the "Angus! Bring me another glass of fookin' whisky!" type of smell that the Traquair House Ale does, but it still smells damn good to me. In the words of Blackalicious, "Just a whiff of her ferment will make your knees get weak." My knees are weak now just thinking about it.

Taste: This is where my review always breaks down. How to describe the taste? Beautifully malty, just a wee bit smoky, and always, ALWAYS delicious. There's a brown sugar quality to it that reminds me of the sauce poured over Bananas Foster. This is a beer without fault to me, and the only beer in the world that my father and I agree on. Were we to be restricted to one beer only for the rest of our lives, this beer would be it.

Mouthfeel: I've never french kissed Salma Hayek (although it is on my 'to-do' list), but I hope her tongue feels half as sexy in my mouth as this beer does. It has the viscosity of melted ice cream, yet never leaves anything behind on the tongue. It wants to be with you, be part of you, and I welcome it's invasion each and every time. (That goes for the beer as well as Salma.)

Drinkability: I'm going to mark this bad boy down to a 4.5, simply because it's a 9.0% beer. I've had three of the 22 oz. Fats before, and needed to be shepherded home. Take your time and enjoy a pint, or two, or three. I mean, come on, would you limit the time you spent with Salma? I sure as hell wouldn't. Unless it got in the way of me getting another VIP Fat.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type - 22 oz bomber into a glass

Appearance - Deep, dark brown, almost black color, with a thick, cream colored head and nice retention. You know this beer means business when you see it.

Smell - Sweet malt, and a bit of peat/smokiness. Notes of caramel, toffee, and perhaps vanilla

Taste - Taste is amazing! Lots of malty goodness. Notes of toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and a bit of peat. Perhaps some hints of dark fruit in there as well. This beer is exceptional!

Mouthfeel - Rich, decadent, and indulgent. Thick and creamy, but at the same time, not overly "big", and surprisingly drinkable.

Drinkability - Way too much for a 9% beer, that's for sure!

This is an outstanding Scotch Ale, and at this point, remains my favorite one. Silver City Brewing may not be that well known outside of Washington, but with a beer this good, maybe that will change. A must-try beer if you see it!

4.7/5  rDev +16%

A: Poured a chocolate brown color, good sized head, no lacing observed
S: Sweet fruity nose, sweet as in slight mollasses scent as well. Slight alcohol scent in there too
T: Fruity tasting, possibly apple, pear, grape. Sweet mollasses like taste, alcohol is well hidden for being 9%
M: Smooth creamy, slightly dry finish
D: Awesome scotch ale, very flavorfull, would for sure have this again, what a treat!!

4.66/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This. Beer. Is. Amazing.

Poured from a 22oz bomber I snagged from Trader Joes in Bellingham into a Innis & Gunn thistle, it is a beautiful deep red/brown with a small off-white head. Looks similar to a cola or root beer.

Aroma is full of malt sweetness, with toffee, caramel and brown sugar notes. A hint of smoke and slight spice and booziness, as well as sasparilla (maybe?)

Taste follows the nose wonderfully with big, sweet malts dominating the palate. Caramel, toffee, and brown sugar coming on all at once. The smokiness that appeared shy-ly on the nose is much more evident here, playing nice with smooth fruity characteristics of raisins and prunes. A slight bitterness is also present, and no hop flavor is detectable. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden, if I had to guess from a blind tasting I would put it around 6% but it is a whopping 9.2%. As it warms the raisin, prune and alcohol become a bit more prominent, as well as another flavor that is hard to discern. (Almost a sort of nuttiness)

The mouth-feel is smooth and slightly sticky with medium-low carbonation that compliments the flavor profile nicely.

Overall, probably the best scotch ale I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. (And I’ve tried very many) It remains complex and flavorful in a style of beer where it is all too easy to become one dimensional. Definitely one of my favorites.

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Much props to Warriorsoul for providing the Scotchy goodness...First had on tap at Redbones the day after Thanksgiving 2005, and was too lazy to review it then...

Pours brown with a thin tan head not too much going on with lacing....malty, sugary, smoky smell almost smells a bit like leather (not in a bad way)....Undescribably tasty, almost too good for words, sweet malty flavor with a nice smoky undercurrent, a little bit of heat from the alcohol, but it enhances the flavor instead of being a deterrent....Smooth creamy flavor goes down easy, a well balanced scotch for sure....Dammit why don't I live in the PNW....Could drink this baby all night except for the 9% ABV, but I could definitely slam down two after dinner...

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

58 degrees in a 32 oz swingtop bottle - poured a dark amber, with light sneaking through on both sides. As it settled, the color darkened to a blood red, with brownish swirls. Nice 1/2-1" head which disappates quickly.

Smell is almost all malt with a touch of smokey residue. Perhaps a little dried fruit.

Taste - well, my o my, insanely smooth, with caramel, smoked woods and a little alchohol tinge. As beer warmed to about 65 degrees, the alchohol jumped out a little more, and the malt seemd to become "multi-layered." Smokey taste rises in the profile and the beer finishes a little drier. Still, wow, what a taste, what an insanely wonderful concoction. This is, to me, the perfect blend of whiskey/smoke/caramelly malts I could ask for.

Mouthfeel - wish I could get more in my mouth to swirl around...lol! Seriously, this is amazing.

Drinkability - well, at 9 percent, it isn't an "have a six pack" kind of beer. But it is imminently drinkable, and I would drink one again and again and again. I wish Silverdale were closer to Atlanta.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Pulled this out of the fridge, and let it sit until it was a cool temperature.

Pours a deep dark garnet/amber color, with a nice big sturdy white head. Great beer to look at.

Aromas are of booze, stewed dark fruits, and a bit of a sweat tea like smell.

Flavors are great. Smooth creamy dark fruit flavors, some chocolate, a bit of peat and smoke, and a nice crisp slightly bitter finish. Beer is quite flavorful and complex, yet remarkably smooth.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth, full, and well rounded. Exceptional.

Drinkability? WOW! It's been years since I tried this one. And my memory serves me correctly, this is an outstanding beer. Full flavored, yet smooth as can be. Really easy to drink, and really enjoyable. Very easy to drink despite the 9% ABV.

Thanks again phucket for the bottle! I think I need more! This will stay on the wants list.

Washingtonian's, you have a little gem of a brewery up there in Silverdale.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Dajtai007 for the trade.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. At first a two finger beige head forms that quickly fades to a ring. Light lace is left behind.
S: An awesome aroma of toasted malt, chocolate, light coffee, and some toffee sweetness. More than that, huge peat, wood, and some smoke as well. Everything I love in my favorite style.
T: The nose is huge, and the flavor does not disappoint. Toasted malt up front with lots of chocolate and sweet toffee. Big peat and smoke that many American versions skimp on. Excellent.
M/D: A big full body that is low on the carbonation. Incredibly smooth, creamy, and decadent. Such an easy beer to sip on. A great night cap.

This is really exceptional. Maybe the best American version of a Wee Heavy I have come across (Founders Backwards Bastard is the only other that comes to mind). My favorite style, and Silver City has done it right. Highly recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Fat Bastard holds the distinction of winning two consecutive GABF gold medals in the Scotch-style ale category. Sure, the GABF gives out medals like airline peanuts. But two golds in a row is pretty impressive, and clearly, Fat Bastard is deserving of high praise.

FB is clear ruby-merlot with sluggish CO2 and a complex smell reminiscent of rum-raisin and port wine. The rich, malty flavor is elegant and receives no intrusion from the 9.2% alcohol. Similarly, though peat malts define the finish quite nicely, they are not overstated and know when to back down.

This beer sits soundly in the winner’s category and makes a great finish to a long, celebratious evening. For best results, allow Fat Bastard to warm ‘till nearly at room temperature.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber at 50F.

A - Pours a dark brown with some reddish tint as well. Quiet dark, but not black. Medium head that disappeared quickly, and very minimal lacing.

S - Very malty, with lots of caramel notes. Some whisky scents as well.

T - Pretty darn good I must say. This is an excellent overall beer, with a very nice flavor profile. Lots of malty caramel and molasses goodness of course, but just a hint of smoke and of course the whiskey boozy taste is there just at the tip of your tongue, and some spice on the finish. A bit of oak as well, as if this was casked aged (don't think it is). Sweetens as it warms. Overall, great.

M - Oh so smooth and easy to drink. Low carbonation as fits the style, and a real nice soft, chewy feel to it.

D - Well, it is 9% so one bomber sneaks up on you pretty good. A definite sipper though, and would be a great brew on a cold, windy night (too bad it is like 85 today...). Nevertheless, for the style, it does everything right and thus you have to give it high marks here also.

A very satisfying, potent ale - and I can see why this is one of their most popular.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

.26 gallon swing top obtained at the brew pub a month prior.

Deep dark black ale with a light brown cloud-like head. Nice.

Vanilla, cola, chocolate, and roasty malt aromas present.

Holy shit this is better than I remember. Starts sweet with chocolate cake, fig, vanilla, roasted malt, toffee, smoke, dark caramel, and light coffee flavors. Some subtle spice flavors in the middle. Finishes with a very slight twang that is both tasty and refreshing. Bitterness is low.

Silky and heavy bodied (as the beer's name suggests). Lingers on the tongue without being cloying. Nice.

This is so drinkable for being such a fat assed beer; alcohol is hardly noticeable and taste is fantastic make it a gulper. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Very stylish, .23 gallon swingtop bottle, obtained via trade with waldowin. Served slightly chilled into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter. Pours a very deep brown body with an incredibly creamy, light brown head that is about one finger tall. Head is quite sturdy for the 9% abv, and lacing varies from sheets to island chains.

Aroma is bold, with vinous white grapes immediately leading into a kick of Scotch Whisky. Toffee, caramel, and brown sugar front an enormous malty profile. Smoky peat is prominent and engaging, and there is a pleasant fruity hint of berries and cherries.

Mouthfeel is almost full bodied, smooth and velvety, with the expected low carbonation and some alcohol warming that is welcome on a cold winter night. Slightly syrupy, in a good way.

Taste has lots of malty toffee with a kiss of brown sugar. Smoky peat and Scotch whisky notes are present all the way through. A restrained fruitiness of plums and cherries segues into figs as room temperature arrives. Turns a bit dry toward the finish, with a lasting smokiness embraced by the Scotch whisky notes.

I spent two hours enjoying this puppy, and each sip was better than the last. Very smooth, with a dangerous degree of drinkability. Quite a treat!

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Many thanks to the reigning queen BA Skyhand for the bottle sent to me many moons ago and left to age in my cellar a wee while.

This one got the better of me, I admit. I think I became sort of jaded over time in that I've tried a LOT of scotch ales and a lot of them frankly don't cut it. I'm not sure exactly what some brewers are thinking a wee heavy is but there sure are some "interesting" examples out there. I'd been sitting on this bottle for the better part of a year, sort of just letting it slide not wanting to be let down by yet another yankee attempt at my country of heritage's finest style of beer.

So on a cool early autumn night I decided to give it a crack, the timing just felt right. I sure am glad I did. This is truly a very good wee heavy all told, let me expand:

Pours a rich and dark brown with jewelled ruby tones around the edges and medium creamy head that left a swirling crown all throughout my pint. Nose is intensely malty, fruity with deep caramel wafts, bits and hints of smoke and peat, quite inviting and beautiful. Taste is quite amazing, again, quite malty with a good touch of peat and smoke. There are some devious caramel and toffee tones as well, very rich and complex and warming, as a good scotch ale should be. Mouthfeel is creamy and full, with plenty of body, but remains light enough to remain dangerously drinkable, the alcohol, while present, is nicely tucked into the background like a sgian dubh in yer kilt hose. I would drink a LOT of this if I had the resources to procure a steady supply.

Slàinte mhath!
This one'll wake ye in tha mornin' lads!

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

A- About 1/2" thick tan head on a lightly clouded ruby body.
S- Toffee, dark fruits, earthy tones, light grass hops, sweet cherries (almost candy like).
T- Sweet cherries come through a malt base with some light grass hops. You get some earthy tones in it as well. Hints of other fruits in there as well. Maybe a light raisin. Very nice!
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation.
D- I really like this. More on the cherry side than most wee heavies but very tasty.

Fat Scotch Ale from Silver City Brewing Co.