Duckabush Brown Ale - Silver City Brewing Co.

Duckabush Brown Ale
No picture uploaded.

Silver City Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Knuckles on 12-01-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Knuckles:
Knuckles

Washington

3.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'm unsure what to make of this beer. It seems that Don Spencer decided to make a lighter bodied dark beer as a fall seasonal. It's listed as a brown, but doesn't have any of what I would consider to be classic brown characteristics aside from mouthfeel. This isn't a brown ale drinkers, it's a brown for blonde ale drinkers.

Appearance: Lighter than I would consider typical for the style, it's sort of a light oak in appearance.

Smell: All yeast in the nose, very little malt. Atypical from what I expect out of a brown.

Taste: Not as sweet as I expect. I'm accustomed to browns that assault you with malt in the front, and then sort of tail off to a mild malty finish. This has a very mild malt entry, and then tails off to a yeasty finish.

Drinkability: I'm probably the wrong person to judge, as I'm not a brown ale drinker. I could drink one, but not more, as it simply isn't my style.

12-01-2005 22:46:36 | More by Knuckles
RedDiamond

Oregon

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Silver City's Duckabush Brown is named for a local river, which itself is named for the reddish color of nearby bluffs. Perhaps a red ale would have been more well suited to the name. Either way, this beer doesn't shine for body or drinkability and was served to me in a state of near spoilage six weeks after its release date. It is cinnamon brown with a pronounced sweetness reminiscent of peppermint stick. There's even a current of root beer afoot.

But the thin body, intrusive phenols, and lack of clean lines need serious correction.

03-25-2009 02:44:23 | More by RedDiamond
Duckabush Brown Ale from Silver City Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.