Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Panther Lake Porter | Silver City Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 40
Reviews by Asics:

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours dark brown almost black into a pint glass. Nice head retained well for a long time.
Aroma of coffee from the get-go. Very pronounced coffee notes.
Taste is sublime. Milky smooth mouthfeel. Enjoyable. No edge to it at all. Not a porter fan. I normally prefer stouts but this is an exception.
Overall I definitely give it an up tic for a solid effort.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Black. Foamy head. Excellent lacing throughout.
S: Small roasty notes. Coffee.
T: Coffee, chocolate. Slightly roasty.
M: Smooth. Medium carbonation. Big body.
O: Good representation of a porter. I like the fact that there isn't too much black patent flavor. Would have scored higher if the carbonation was a bit lower.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Review from 1/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark red brown, one finger light brown head and lacing. Roasted malt, coffee and light hop aroma. Smooth, smoky sweet malt flavor with light hops, good for a low abv porter. Light bodied, but worth a visit again.

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%

3.81/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bottle of this at a grocery store in Port Angeles, as my wife and I are staying here over night. Brouth this back to my hotel room. Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber bottle into a pint glass, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black color that's not interested in letting in any light whatsoever. Has a tan, light brown head that's about 1/2 an inch when first poured that settles to a fairly thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a big cluster swirl of a film layer of foam on the beer's surface. Decent lacing too. Aromas of very roasted malts with caramel and chocolate sweetness that gives way to some coffee and hop bitterness. The taste is pretty much the same, with dark, roasted caramel and malt sweetness that gives way to some roasted, black coffee bitterness and a bit of earthy, astringent hop bitterness as well. Has a somewhat crisp, also smooth and slightly creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. The roasted malts and coffee flavors really like to linger on the aftertaste. Has a clean finish. Glad I got a chance to try this one on this vacation. A good example overall of this style I feel.

Eric

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

pours a dark brown with a small khaki head, and good lacing.

smell is faint, cocoa, weak coffee, a touch of vanilla, and some roasted nuts.

taste is on the watery side, chocolate, sour malt, vanilla, roasted nuts, and weak coffee, ends dry.

an okay porter better than most silver city brews.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

3.31/5  rDev -14%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich black hue which allows very little light to transit the body. Head pours a couple fingers of frothy dark-tan foam, and it is pretty tenacious.

Smell: aroma consists of vegetal hops with a little bit of roasty character deep underneath. This is kind of typical for a porter, but the vegetal flavors are poorly masked here. Still, could be worse.

Taste: surprisingly smooth for a roasty beer. Starts off with a light sweet flavor and then transitions to a darker, roasty flavor. Vegetal hops persist, but there is a light chocolatiness to go along with them. Not too bad.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a decent level of carbonation. Too light to be really creamy, but decent.

Overall: this beer is OK. It's got a few good points going for it, but I find the cooked-vegetable quality of the hops a little too overpowering for me.

3.35/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty, dark color.

Smell is mild. Nothing off, but nothing great.

Taste is also rather mild. Dark malt, but not intense.

Moderate mouthfeel, wouldn't mind it richer, kind of a lot of carbonation.

Finish is clean, well-integrated, finally a slight hint of bitterness.

Overall this is a fine session porter, if you want such a thing. I usually want a richer one.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Served from the tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: black as night and devoid of light, thick creamy head

Smell: milk chocolate, coffee, dark and rich espresso

Taste/Mouthfeel: rich chocolate, coffee, chocolate birthday cake(don't ask me, I just call it how I taste it), fairly hoppy but not too much, surprisingly refreshing sweet finish

The only drawback to this beer is that it a seasonal brew made in the summer. I was very impressed with this beer and think it pushed me over the edge from an occasional stout drinker to a porter lover. Once again, it's a dark beer thing.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

In an attempt to convince myself of non-homerism when it comes to Silver City beers, I'm going to review the one beer that utterly disappoints me: the Panther Lake Porter. Keep in mind that this beer isn't bad, it's just incredibly uninspired.
Unfortunately, what this also means is that I will deliver an uninspired review.

Appearance: Nice deep black with a lovely dark brown head. Held up to the light, this beer glows with some ruby highlights around the edges. It really is a lovely appearance.

Smell: Sitting in the pint glass cold, you don't smell much other than a faint hint of roasted barley. Once it warms up, there's a bit of the malt released, but not much.

Taste: Sigh. Here's where it really just drops the ball. I like a porter that has a nice body, with a fairly robust roasted finish. The beer should not be sweet in any way, but still have the malt presence to back up a very strong roasted finish. Again, this is my preference based on how I think porter was probably brewed back in the nineteenth century. The roasted barley is there, but the malt body is very subdued.

Mouthfeel: Too thin for my tastes. I'm not asking for the "Baby got back" of porters here, but this thing is Twiggy compared to a porter like Harmon's or Snoqualmie Falls.

Drinkability: This isn't a bad beer at all, I'm just underwhelmed by it. It's a fair representation of the style, just not particularly mind blowing. It's a very sessionable beer, it'd just be an uninteresting session. Don Spencer brews so many astonishing beers, I continue to hope he'll revisit this one and what I consider to be its shortcomings.

****Edited 09/28/2006

I've stayed away from this beer for a while, for numerous reasons. 1) I didn't care for it too much, 2) Don brewed the Sasquatch for me, and I drank the shit out of it and 3) Fat Bastard. That said, I was at the brewpub not too long ago and was surprised to learn that a fair number of the beers I'd normally have were out at the moment. So I made a game-time decision and went for the Panther Lake. I'm damn glad I did. All of the shortcomings I noted before have been addressed and improved dramatically. Mouthfeel is much improved, taste is light years beyond what it was, and the drinkability (to my mouth) is vastly improved. This beer is getting a nice bump up from me in the review, and the only other thing I can add to it is "Good work, Don."

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Panther Lake Porter from Silver City Brewing Co.