X - Silver City Brewing Co.

X
No picture uploaded.

Silver City Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

Baltic Porter |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Knuckles on 10-05-2006)
Reviews by Knuckles:
4.8/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Served in the VIP glass (which is about a foot tall, and maybe three inches in diameter), it comes to you just pulsating with black. If you can imagine a beer actually throbbing in its glass, this beer does that. If you can imagine a beer that is blacker and less accessible than a leather skirt wrapped around the ass of Jessica Simpson, this is that beer. This goddam thing should be on BET, not at a mall brewpub in one of the whitest cities in the US. This beer is a big booty ho, and I want to dance wid’ it.

Smell: Ok, here’s the deal. This beer rolls in at a robust 9.7% ABV, so me, I’m expecting to get absolutely clocked in my ridiculously large nose by an insanely strong alcohol presence. It doesn’t smell cloyingly sweet, it doesn’t smell too hoppy, hell, if I can get all Goldilocks on your ass, it smells “just right”.

Taste: How do you describe the flavor of a beer so black, so filled with zymurgic power that it literally strobes out of the glass? This beer could paint the White House black all on its own, it doesn’t need no stinking help from George Clinton or Parliament. This beer utter lacks roasted barley of any kind. It does, however, have ten other malts. Calling this thing a “Baltic Porter” simply points either to the inadequacy or futility of classification when it comes to certain beers. This isn’t one of those beers. The wheat malts create an insane smoothness, and the rauch malt gives it a slightly smoky nose and palate, and everything else just makes it purty. I’d say this thing is a Willy Wonka masterpiece, but I’d be lying. Willy Wonka don’t know shit about beer.

Mouthfeel: I’ve made many, many allusions to the taste of Salma Hayek’s pants before. In my opinion, this beer feels like the inside of Salma Hayek’s pants. So long as she’s not wearing leather pants, and it’s all bumpity and leathery. That shit’s no fun. This beer is smooove, like Billy Dee Williams, and works every time...

Drinkability: Imagine, if you will, that you could drink Halle Berry. Or Salma Hayek. Or Aishwarya Rai. Would you want to stop? Would you say to the bartender, “Hey, no problem, I’ll stop at one. It’s all good”? No, I don’t think that you would. As a matter of fact, I’d wager that you’d say, “Thank you, sir, may I have another?” But you wouldn't be able to, because Silver City is limiting people to one X per visit.

Knuckles, Oct 05, 2006
4.58/5  rDev -2.3%

I am assuming this is what I drank the other night. The beer had the usual Siver City label, and on the side it had an X; 9.5%.

I received this beer in a trade from Phil (knuckles) some months ago. Couldn't find the right time to open it, but it turns out that last night was just fine.

The beer pours a very dark black, with not a lot of head and no more then fair lacing. The beer is impressive looking, but I was a bit worried about the lack of head. I needn't have been.

On the nose I get some roasty malt with overtones of coffee, cola and chocolate. The beer smells impressive and I can't wait to take a taste.

On the palate this beer is amazing. The first thing you notice is how light the beer is; it's medium bodied at most. However, there is plenty of flavor, consisting primarily of coffee and chocolate, but with also some vanilla and cherry. This beer is incredibly smooth, and has an excellent finish. The abv. in this bad boy is completely unnoticeable; I cannot believe how drinkable this beer is. Towards the end of the bottle I started to feel a bit warm, the only clue as to the 9% alcohol in this beer.

Excellent stuff. Probably the one and only chance I'll have to try this beer, which is a shame. I wouldn't mind having the opportuniry to have a glass of this stuff every now and again. Oh well....

John_M, Aug 21, 2007
X from Silver City Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.