Old Scrooge Ale - Silver City Brewing Co.

Old Scrooge AleOld Scrooge Ale

Silver City Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

Old Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 12-15-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
hopluva1

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Enjoyed in a snifter @ 55* from 2010 bottle.

Pours a reddish amber with no head what so ever, i was afraid it was flat.

Aroma is sweet and malty, cherries, and honey

Taste is similar to aroma, full of dried pitted fruit flavor (raisins, figs, plums) it does have a sherry like character to it. It has allot of sweet flavors with a bit of a lager taste, some alcohol. No hop presence is detectable. Fresh it may have a little more hop character which in my opinion would add to this beer. The label on the bottle calls it a barley wine and i would say that is closest to a English style barley wine.

I did enjoy drinking this beer. I would like to try it fresh(er).

10-20-2011 00:25:41 | More by hopluva1
loren01

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours a light brown/red color, not too much head no lacing
S: Sweet, malty lots of dark fruit
T: Very sweet and malty, tastes a lot like an English barley wine or Strong scotch ale. I don't pick up much hoppiness in there at all
M: Full bodied smooth mouthfeel
D: I found this a lot like their "fat" beer, real malty. Another great offering by Silver city

03-09-2011 04:02:41 | More by loren01
barleywinefiend

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Poured a light brownish color with good carbonation and a nice white cap

S: Straightforward with caramel, toffee and sugar

T: Caramel, brown sugar, toffee but simple and average with toasted malt, some dark fruits at times

M: Booze and a thin body, a tad overcarbed or perhaps the thin body led me to believe it was overcarbed.

D: Worth a shot once but compared to other barleywines in the lineup it was way out of its league in taste, body and appeal. As a, what I assume to be, an English Old Ale or Bwine I say this needs some work. I compare this style to JW Lees and Thomas Hardy's as they are among the prime in their arena. This falls way short, and way short of many fantastic American made Englidh Bwines to include Alesmith Old Numbskull, Anchor Old Foghorn and Weyerbacher Insanity.

03-03-2011 14:50:29 | More by barleywinefiend
lifeboyq

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a New Belgium Tulip from a 22 oz bomber.

Pours a really deep translucent amber mahogany. Head resides fairly quickly with minimal to decent lacing. Smell is of deep cherry, sugar, grapes, figs. Taste is similar with that deep grape and date on the back of the tongue with a very slight hop bitterness that lingers. If you like the malty English Barleywines and appreciate the too few not over hopped Northwest productions, pick this up.

A tasty treat and my favorite seasonal beer of the year. Highly recommended.

01-13-2011 06:33:14 | More by lifeboyq
davidchollar

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours out a surprisingly transparent, almost bright mahogany with a big beautiful head. Seems brighter than other American Barleywines, but looks great with nice head retention.

Smell is so intriguing I had to start a new paragraph. I've been drinking tons of winter warmers lately, haven't had a barleywine in a while, but my first reaction is that this is quite unique. Doesn't strike me as a BW on 1st sniff. More of a Belgian, like a quad or a dark trippel. Intensely fruity bubblegum caramel toffee.

Full-bodied luscious creamy smooth mouthfeel compliments the beautiful balance and helps make Old Scrooge highly drinkable. Delicious! Only thing holding this back from a higher taste score is that - personally - I like more of an intense flavor from my US BWs. This one is incredibly subtle though, if you prefer that!

Damn. Exactly like its older brother Fat Bastard, it's hard to believe it's such a high ABV 'til it hits ya... Gooood stuff... Get it if you see it.

12-10-2010 06:18:58 | More by davidchollar
blackc5

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had the luck of being able to try this on Christmas Day. Not a big follower of Silver City, I really knew nothing about it before hand, but I have to say I was mightily impressed - it was such an exceptional brew I asked a friend to pick up a few more for me, but alas, they are already sold out.

Unfortunately, I did not take notes while drinking this, but I can agree with the previous review that this drinks very wine-like. It is fruity, yet not too sweet, and is probably the best young barley wine I have tasted to date.

It is beautiful to look at, pouring a very dark red ruby brown. The aromas immediately conjured up plum, raisin, cherry and sherry. The flavors were exceptional - not overly hoppy or bitter - just lots of fruityness and malts perfectly balanced with hops. Not sure how long they aged this before bottling, but it surely tasted like it had been aged nicely already. Exceptional.

What a great sipper - I wish I had known about this in advance as I surely would have bought as many as I could. Next year....

01-03-2010 07:33:06 | More by blackc5
RedDiamond

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

After winning gold and silver at two consecutive GABFs, Old Scrooge was high on my must-try list during the holiday season. I was not disappointed. But I was surprised by the unique parameters of this ale. It's far fruitier and more wine-like than most amber-colored high-hopped malt-sugar barleywines.

Scrooge is the color of dilute merlot and expresses a smell of plum, cherry, strawberry, and honeydew. A bit of alcohol is also detectable but it integrates nicely into the overall complexity and contributes some comforting warmth. The taste can best be likened to sugarplum brandy with a hint of bubblegum. That may sound odd, but it works exceptionally well.

SC serves Scrooge in wide-mouthed snifters. The beer shows little by way of carbonation or lather, but doesn't really need to. It's a slow, contemplative ale with a surplus of style. A high-value ale that's a must try when available.

12-15-2009 01:51:22 | More by RedDiamond
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Old Scrooge Ale from Silver City Brewing Co.