Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dream Machine - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Dream MachineDream Machine

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: JAHMUR on 01-28-2014

Dream Machine, an India Pale Lager or IPL, is a melding of varied visions of an India Pale Ale and an Amber Lager. Once poured, its light copper color delights the eyes and a citrusy hop aroma flows through the nose. Upon first sip, a smooth hop bitterness reveals itself – fresh, bold and slightly spicy – before subtle hints of mild maltiness appear. A big hop bite and a crisp, clean lager finish combine for a beautifully balanced beer. Take Dream Machine for a spin and let your reverie begin.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dream Machine Alström Bros
1.88/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

-Clear brown
-Harsh grain, citrus rind
-Rough toasted malts, bitter orange peel

-Not much to say. I don't like it. Most Magic Hat beers ive found to have this harsh bitter rind to them

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

I haven't had much from Magic Hat, but the other brews I had were more enjoyable than this one. I did not care for this. In my opinion, there is nothing that really jumped out at me with this beer; it was borderline bland.

2.44/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Man, how long has it been since I last had a Magic Hat? Regardless, this one pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mixed greens, nutty toffee, and grass. The taste starts off with a small wave of sweet fruits, but things quickly degenerate into a lasting riot of rotting greens, bad cabbage, and pennies. The echoes resonate for minutes. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, I have no idea what to say about this mess, beyond it is pretty terrible. Maybe there was a reason I haven't had a Magic Hat brew in a while...

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

If it's from a dream machine, it must be good. From a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

It doesn't look like a pale lager, as it has an amber color with reddish hues. A half-inch of fuzzy head sits on top with adequate retention, leaving a few spots of lace on the glass. It has a decent aroma, one with squirts of pine, earth, grainy, and a vague fruitiness.

This is not good. Having a bitter vegetal flavor is not a good way to be introduced. There is some toasted malt and overall some very herbal tones to the beer. It tastes "raw"; the hops aren't being worked and the malt base is mediocre. It has one thing going for it though; a soft mouthfeel.

If this is what comes out of Dream Machine, I'd be frightened to taste Nightmare Machine.

2.57/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper color. The head is about a finger high, with a shade that's barely off-white. It also features a fluffy texture and acceptable retention. A ring of lacing is left behind.

S: It smells like it's trying to be hoppy - there's just a faint wisp of citrus and apricot notes. It's the malts that come through; honestly, though, they do have a defined sweetness to them. Brown sugar, graham cracker, and caramel hit the nose far more strongly than the hops could hope to. I'll stick with a 3 because it doesn't bring the I part well. That, and it's Magic Hat.

T: Well...um...where to start? Stale citrus hops open it up, and even then, they're a mere wisp next to the massive yet somehow flavorless malt backbone. The finish is slightly metallic, too. Not only does it lack flavor, it seems unbalanced for some reason. Ayiyi...

M: Way too heavy feeling for the lack of flavor. While it is nice and soft in the mouth, it's just flabby as hell. Good carbonation and the classic finishing lager bite try to compensate, but only succeed slightly.

O: Okay, I drank the damn thing, now where's my Untappd badge?!

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not hoppy Enuff for an ipl, little bit of a metallic taste, but could be the draft equipment at this place, I would give it another shot at a different place, maybe the brewery

2.71/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

My, how times have changed for yours truly. One of my first reviews on this site was for a Magic Hat beer, which was coincidentally one of the last cases that I ever bought. Now, I rarely drink Magic Hat, I dislike bottled beer, I eschew quantity like cases and I have over 2,500 reviews under my belt.

From the bottle: "Turn on. Hop in. Take off."; "The ancient ritual of brewing a distinctly rich and flavorful beer is a performance to behold. Our mysterious melange of time-honored harmonize with chaotic chemistry, humble patience, and blind faith to create this unique beer to share in the rousing company of kindred spirits. Cheers!"

That first bit sounds like a a CANadian version of Dr. Timothy Leary, eh, hoser? My aggro pour netted two fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with great retention. They know how to engineer their beers in Vermont, I'll tell you. Nose smelled much like being on a working farm and not in a bad way. The malts were prevalent, very fresh and grainy and the hops provided a fresh-mown grassiness that put me in mind of summers at my grandparents' house. Color defined amber (SRM = >7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was soft and full, a nice change from some of the abrasive AIPAs that I have been drinking of late. Taste was not really up to expectations, however. It had an odd finish of hydrogen peroxide, a taste that I remember from having contracted trench mouth from someone at summer camp. Gentian violet and hydrogen peroxide were the watchwords and I have never forgotten the tastes. Initially, it was okay, but the finish finished me off. Oof.

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

I picked up a six pack of Magic Hat's Dream Machine a couple days ago for $7.99 at Krogers. I'm a fan of hoppy lagers and it's been awhile since i've tried a new beer from Magic Hat, so lets see hoe it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it's got a psychedelic font to it to go with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark golden amber color that took on more of an amber color when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some sticky, spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart earthy, grassy, floral and citrus hop aroma that are all a little on the lighter side and neither one sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, sweet malt, pale malt and lightly toasted malt aspect with maybe a little bit of caramel malt coming through and there's some lager yeast aromas in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the hop profile was a little brighter.

T- The taste seems to be fairy similar to the aroma and it might be a little lighter. It starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the hop still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time it seems like the grassy hop aspect overpowers the hop aspects. Up next comes the malts which are very light and there's pretty much just some sweet malts, pale malts, grainy and very lightly toasted flavors that fade very quickly. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of medium bitterness with pretty much no aftertaste. This wasn't a great tasting beer, the hops showed up right in front, but they weren't that interesting and the malt aspect was a let down.

M- Fairly smooth, a little clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I didn't think was a great beer and I didn't think that it was a good example of the style, when I got to the aroma I thought it was going in the right the direction, but it seemed like it took a turn for the worse when it got to the taste and all I was left with a bland lager with an almost equally bland hop profile. This didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is a little more than enough for me, no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, aroma and mouthfeel, those were the highlights of this beer and they seemed to all be pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was just bland all around and this is the first time in awhile that I have had a beer that didn't have any aftertaste. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend trying it either, it's priced nicely but it isn't a great example of the style. All in all I didn't like this beer, it had some nice aspects, but I thought the taste was a let down and it just didn't deliver what I wanted it too. So far this is one my least favorite beers from Magic Hat and there's not doubt that it is now my least favorite IPL or hoppy Lager. Better luck next time guys, this beer need some major work in the taste department.

2.8/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

No bottle date that I could find.

Appearance: Near translucent copper colored brew with half a finger of off-white suds. Look like a regular IPA.

Aroma: Here's where it starts to differentiate itself from IPAs. There is an underlying lager yeast musk that is hard to ignore. However, there are some sweet nearly flowery hops there.

Taste: Sharp bitterness upfront that combines with the sort of piercing flavor some pilsners can deliver. After the initial bitterness the flavor opens up a little more and a bready/floury malt flavor combines with the dryness generated by the hops to create a sudden finish. The aftertaste is almost metallic tasting, like there are pennies in the beer. Although the beer is never watery, the flavor is just bland. The hops don't seem to have much character to them.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with a carbonation level somewhere between a pilsner and a pale ale.

Final Thoughts: I've had very few IPLs since the style has started taking off, but Dream Machine is definitely at the bottom of my list. The metallic flavor and lack of hop character make that decision an easy one. Would I drink it again? Probably not.

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was surprised to see this on shelves. I haven't been keeping up with Magic Hat.

Pours a nice reddish-gold with a frothy head into my glass.

A good balance of citrus, especially grapefruit in the nose. There's also a grainy texture to the malt.

Lots of conflicting tastes upfront. First of all, you have citrusy, grassy hops competing fiercely against the buttery, grainy malt bill. The result is a jumbled mess in the mouth.

This carries over to the mouthfeel as well. It's just not very pleasant. The high level of carbonation makes it almost unbearable.

I'm not sure how Magic Hat let such a weak, miserable example of this style out of their tanks. I have had several other examples that kick the ass of this pathetic shit, such as Brewmaster Mike's Citra Mantra (represent!).

2.82/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured a nice golden color with an initial head of vivacious foam that ultimately reduced to nothing but a clingy lace around the inside of my glass after the first few sips.

Crisp, dry and clean tasting. A slight bitter finish that clings to your palate at the very end, other than that no hop presence to speak of. smooth and easy drinking.
Aroma is muted.
Mouthfeel is on the thin side.
Overall forgettable beer. I'll pass this over for something with more flare and flavor.

2.92/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I was mostly done with this brewery a few years ago, but as they got me into craft beer, they stil hold a little spot in my heart.

Wisdom of the cap "everyone knows that know one knows."

Pours a smaller fizzy head that fades pretty quickly like a high abv beer although this isn't, crystal clear tan apple juice colored, with pillar of streaming bubbles.

Nose is macro lager like, hint of sulfury note and bad minerals, mild soft lager malts, little apple note, grainy bread and a sweet caramel biscuit, hints of herbal hops light medicinal hops.

Taste is grainy biscuity, lots of toasty grainy malts, a little soft lager note, lager malts though, mild crackery too, with faint bad minerals but luckily no sulfur this time. Into the herbal hops, medicinal herbal hops with a spicy earthy quality, little moss like forest floor. Finish is dry and a bit crisp, quite bitter as the earthy hops turn a bit spicy but still forest floor and herbal flavors lingering.

Mouth is med to lighter bod, nice small bubble carb.

Overall meh, not a well done lager, on top of that not the best grain profile, and even more so the poor hop choice, more like an English bitter than IPL, forest floor herbal medicinal hops that are not tasty, starts with almost no bitterness then huge bitterness on the back and and finish, just not a well done beer all around.

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%

The appearance was an rich amber color. The smell had some fruit notes in it (apricot). . Not bitter or strong when going down, smooth. When poured a nice thick head forms. Nothing special otherwise about the beer Although I could see my self purchase another should the occasion arise.

Tried one of these from a 12 oz bottle the other day.

In the glass, it's a dark amber, with lots of visible effervescence, and minimal head.

The nose was very faint, offering little more than some soft piney hops, so I didn't know what to expect. The taste wasn't too strong, following through on the pine, and offering a soft, citrusy finish, kind of like marmalade.

Carbonation and mouthfeel were both what I'd call medium--pleasant, but not overbearing.

Overall, i enjoyed it, though it's not necessarily something I'd pick up again. It's well-balanced, but doesn't really offer much I'd seek out--drinkable and enjoyable, in an interesting style, but not something I'll be keeping an eye out for.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From 07/24/14 notes. 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

a - Pours a hazy deep amber color with one to two inches of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet fruity malts, floral hops , honey, bready malts, pale malts, and earthy malts. Decent, maltier than expected.

t - Tastes of grains, wheat , dough , bready malts, light fruit malts, and light floral hops. Quite malty, ever moreso than the nose.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation. Easy to drink but too watery.

o - Overall not a great beer. For a beer toting itself as a hoppy beer it is veyr malty. Wouldn't seek it out again.

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Dream Machine brewed by the Magic Hat Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.7 % This brew pours out a nice dark amber color with a small, white head. Dream Machine is a filtered brew you can see right though it. The appearance is decent to this brew. The smell is bitter with hops and grains. There is some richness to this brew in this smell.Not too big on the smell of this brew. Dream Machine taste is ok with a bitter after taste of hops. The taste at first is smooth but it is over powered by bitterness. The bitterness to this brew is to much for my taste. Mouthfeel is nice at first but, bitter at the end. Not a bad finish to this brew. Overall In'm giving this brew a 3 out 5.

3.07/5  rDev -8.6%

This dissapointing ale pours a handsome amber hue with a nice white head and lasting lacing. The nose is an overly sweet floral mix of hops, malt , and European yeast. The mouth is smooth and easy to drink but given the taste why would you want to. The flavor follows the nose with way too much sweetness and a floral hop bill that does not help the sweetness. I enjoyed the last few Magic Hat releases but this is definitely a miss.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thicker white head that lingered. Lots of carbonation. Medium lacing on the glass.

Smell: Hops and citrus, maybe some pine notes in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: A little rought medium bodied. Taste of bitter hops with a subtle sweet citrus on the after taste.

Overall: Not bad. I would have this one again.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%

First time trying this style, so let's give it a whirl. Popping the top this IPL smells earthy hoppy and fresh. Pours to a light orange with a minimal head that stands well. On the taste this brew is definitely more than a lager but stays with the style as the bitterness is not real pronounced but rides in the background. Good solid mouthfeel, nice thick consistency. Taste is consistent throughout with a bitter twang in the finish that is quite bitter. Not sure about this style, I think I prefer either a Lager or an IPA instead.

3.14/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a slightly hazy sunburst orange color with a frothy white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of grainy malt and grassy hops.

Tastes of the grainy malts with a moderate hop touch. Grainy malts lead off with a bit of sweetness. Grassy and lemony hops come in next with a moderate amount of bitterness. A touch of butter comes on the end. An overall light feel, but doesn't feel coherent.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a solid pilsner, but the flavor profile feels funny.

3.19/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Pours a somewhat hazy amber orange with an of-white finger head. Dissipates rather quickly, leaving a broken layer of surface suds. Lacing is small and spotty with little stick.

Smell - Smells of grain and bready malts, with hints of caramel and citrus.

Taste - Mostly malt character with notes of caramel and touches of grain. Hops are tame considering the style, but come through with some citrus flavor. Slight pith and stale bread in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with fair to lively carbonation. Goes down easy enough.

Overall - If I deciphered the code right, this was bottled on March 18th, so probably not too old to kill the hops, this is just a very average IPL that shows more malt than hop. It will be quickly forgotten.

3.19/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Magic Hat Dream Machine IPL has a thin-to-medium off-white head, a mostly clear, copper, bubbly appearance, and some decent lacing left behind. The aroma is of hop oil and sweet grain. Taste is of floral hops, some hop resin, sweet grain, and medium-baked bread crust. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Magic Hat Dream Machine IPL finishes crisp, easy going, and refreshing.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Taking the pieces and parts of lager and rearranging their proportions to more resemble India pale ale gives Dream Machine a unique flavor, feel and set of aromas that lead with hops and trail with pilsner malt.

As the lager pours golden-straw, its head builds to greet the rim of the glass, much like any well-sculpted lager would. But one whiff brings out a sharp spiciness laced with verbena herb, pepper and fragrant grass. Its initial taste is cracker-dry and quick with light bread and grain sweetness.

As the bready and sweet malt trails across the middle, it paves the way for noble German hops- Its floral taste gives slim honeysuckle and fresh-pulled tobacco with fruit that develops into a grassy overlay. Fresh-cut grass, sassafras and a stemmy, peppery bite moves in to round out the bulk of taste.

Its quick finish keeps the body medium-light but lingers with the gripping and undeniable leafy astringency of the hop cone. Its chlorophyll linger onward along with bitter resins and waining tobacco herb.

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer is quite amber hued. Which is a nice lead that turns into a pretty bland ride. Minimal hop influence. Minimal everything really. It's just...bland. Too bad my next beer isn't chilled yet. Otherwise I'd be finishing this one as quickly as possible and moving on.

3.22/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark honey, and somewhat cloudy, with a quarter inch quickly dissipating head, but good lacing. A fresh scent, but nothing of note on the nose. Nice carbonation, and drinkable. A nice hop bitterness that lingers, but lacks the fruitiness of the IPAs I prefer. A decent beer.

Dream Machine from Magic Hat Brewing Company