Mother Lager - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

The Evolved Euro-Style Lager. Brewed to spur the people to unite in the fight for imbibing emancipation and smash the oppressive tyranny of malt monotony! Mother Lager was a refreshing, evolved alternative to the familiar Euro-style imports, exported from the People's Republic of Vermont.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 09-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Lager Alström Bros

samibr, Jun 12, 2013

jfcaa193, Feb 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

deapokid, Nov 26, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

8/25/2004. I've become to expect good things from Magic Hat but this is the first Lager I've tried from them so I wasn't sure what I'd get. Golden color topped by a thin head. Only a little bit of lacing on the glass and the aroma is slightly skunked. There's not a whole lot that's enjoyable with the taste either. Musty, corn flavor with some bitter hops mixed in. Not really that smooth. Slightly sweet but not as sweet as most Magic Hat brews. This reminds me more of domestic crap than a good Magic Hat brew.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Pale straw color out of the green bottle which always is a bit scary - will it be skunked? A half a finger ultra bubbled head from a vigorous pour that turns to scum. Yuck. Aroma is delightful; a medium hoppy pils--noble hops, but light malts. I dig the smell of a good pils. Taste is mostly hops, less malty. Is it skunked? No, but it doesn't taste fresh, either. The hops linger too long and overall are a bit sour, hard for the malts to make a showing. I prefer a balanced pils.
The mouthfeel is fine for a pils, but a bit over carbonated for me, as per style. The malt is not intense so over-hoping makes for a booring beer, nevertheless, this has mass appeal for macro lager fans, and the roomate actually did like it, as he said it was "...like bud and rolling rock but smoother."

Liquids, Mar 07, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +24%

i guess that i'm a little partial to this beer. when i lived in burlington a few years ago, this was a staple in my fridge. due to availability, it's suprisingly hard to get in my area. so on a trip up to burlington recently i picked some up.

appearance: true pale golden yellow

smell: nice balanced smell of hops with slight spice. not overpowering,but definitly not offensive like so many others can be.

taste: very smooth. nice hop bite but not overpowering. refreshing. a perfect substitute for any of the big boys you see everywhere.

this beer is extremely drinkable. maybe has more of a summertime vibe but is more that welcome in my fridge anytime of year.

scarletfire79, Mar 06, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a light straw hue with a half finger white foamy head. There was poor retention and lacing.

The smell was very reminiscent of a green bottle import lager. A thick aroma with a slight husky and smoky element. Floral hop aroma detected as well.

The taste was also similar to the Euro lagers. However, since it is much fresher tasting, it better resembled an AB World Select. Other than that, husky and musty, with a good hop bitterness. I happen to appreciate some of those Euro lagers. This one tastes very similar to a fresh Carlsberg.

The mouthfeel was full and a bit chewy.

Overall an interesting craft offering. Very drinkable and unique. Has both session and lawnmower potential.

plaid75, Aug 08, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

A slight letdown from Magic Hat. This beer isn't particularly offensive in any way, but it's awfully boring and lacking in the aroma/flavor departments. Reminds me of Heinekin, maybe Becks. Very little aroma, mouthfeel's watery. Probably great for a hot day, but otherwise, I won't be going out of my way for this.

scooter231, Jul 22, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Drink by August, so maybe this could stand to be a bit more fresh.
This beer is pretty orthodox all in all. Macro drinkers shouldn't be too scared off by this one, though it's a bit more bitter and flavorful than most macros.
Drinks like a Becks or St. Pauli girl. No odor to speak of, a clean flavor of grass and grain with a bitter finish. Malts are barely present while the hops rub and chafe more so than bite.
Fine for keeping around during hot weather but another somewhat average brew from Magic Hat.

ommegangpbr, Jul 22, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a pint glass from 3/4 pint bottle. The label actually caught my attention in the store... very communist looking or something. Anyway, it's a very light yellowish color with a foamy head that disappeared. Wasn't much to smell... maybe a little bit of malts. Tastes very light, almost macro-ish, but extremely refreshing. I think that MH got the exact style and taste they wanted with this brew - a light, easy drinker that's a better alternative to a macrobrew.

I wondered if the communist looking label was actually some kind of a parody on how macros are in a way "the beer of the people", just mechanically mass produced and forced on people through advertising...hmmm.... knowing MH it's something they would do. Those guys are crazy... always joking around.

But anyway, It's a good brew, aboslutely perfect for a hot summer day and perfect to provide to your friends who are die-hard macro drinkers. I probably will pick up some more, but not 'till next summer or the next time I get the urge for an extremely light easy drinking beer that is superior to a macro.

silver1audi, Nov 26, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Some hop aroma, hoppy drink. Appropriaetly carbonated. Sweetened by malt, and maybe corn.Very fresh and clean and refreshing. Sweet, carbonated finish. Light body, medium mouthfeel. Not a bad one. Better than a macro. Well carbonated, sampled at the brewery.

Sammy, Nov 10, 2005

This was the weakest of the Magic Hat offerings at the brewery tap, yet I still found it fresh, crisp and refreshing. This is their answer to the Macros I am sure and while they really reach with some of the styles they brew this is a middle of the road un-adventurous beer aimed at the college boy crowd that have a Che Guevara poster in their dorm room. Still and all it was clean, crisp and refeshing, albeit largely devoid of character.

Citadel82, Aug 26, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Appears a light yellow with a small white head. Huge chunks of carbonation. Fades into a small fizzle with some spotty lacing.
Smell is of a typical imported pilsner with a bit of hops that pop and a faint bit of skunkiness in the background. I really don't like green bottles.
Taste is of a slight Saaz like hoppiness with a grassiness and adjunct lager taste that Magic Hat decided to delve into.
Mouthfeel is ok. It sort of sticks around and sits in the middle of the tongue.
Drinkability, again, is ok. I think they could do a bit better but I picked up a six pack for $5 and this is a replacement for Vermonters to buy instead of an import.
Sort of reminds me of Heinekin and I think that's what the object was with this one...to replace imports at the local bars with this. I think this was a good idea with the whole Yuengling craze that took over much of PA and other parts of the East coast.

weeare138, Jul 19, 2005
3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

This poured with a foamy bone-white head above a very clear yellow liquid. It gave off a soft malt nose. It had a medium to creamy mouthfeel. There was a light maltiness on the tongue. The finish was light with hints of malt, but nothing outstanding. I have had better lagers and would, frankly, expect better from Magic Hat.

woodychandler, Jul 13, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

I find this offering by the Magic Hat Brewery to be average at best,
one of the lesser lights in the Magic Hat stable of fine beers.
The appearance is of a mildly cloudy offering with a very light head and minimal carbonation, quickly resulting into a large glass of apple juice.
The body feels a little bit empty and the aroma is that of cooked corn.
The taste is fairly well balanced with a slight edge to the malts to end. No linger, just a feeling of abandonment.
This is one member of the Magic Hat family that requires some fine tuning.

Shiloh, Dec 12, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

I picked this up in a mix 12 pack along with 9, HiPA, and Hocus Pocus. It comes in a green bottle with what I would call a "russian" look to the label.
I drank this straight from the bottle so I don't know the exact color but it was definetly a light color as the bottle was translucent . I can't write much about this beer as it wasn't something I would enjoy more than once. If you like Heineken you will like this beer.

WeymouthMike, Oct 14, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -28.6%

Bottle cap: "Music Soothes our Savage Yeast".

Green bottle. Label clearly designed to recall communist Russia. I know Magic Hat tries (too hard?) to be unconventional, but what are they thinking? Trying to tap into some huge market for USSR industrial lagers?

Body is clear, strong yellow gold, topped at first by a rocky inch of white foam, which quickly settles down to a thin table cloth. Some decent lacing.

Pleasant but unassertive hayfield nose.

Taste starts off with a decent soft malt splash down. However, as the hops arrive with the slightest of a tickle, there is also a strong sour twang that carries thru until the finish. Aftertaste consists of a mild hop zip vying with some soapiness.

Nice soft mouthfeel, at least at the start of each sip.

Drinkability? Why would be the question. Little to recommend. Perhaps if I have the next one much colder.

What do you know, truth in advertising. I thought the bottle and label were an attempt at irony, but this beer does seem like a cheap Soviet macro. I'd be bitterly disappointed, except there was nothing "bitter" present.

Try Otter Creek's vastly superior Vermont Lager instead.

RonfromJersey, Oct 01, 2004
2.15/5  rDev -34.7%

12 oz green bottle direct from PPoitras care of BIF 13

Pours your standard honey/straw color of a pilsner/american lager. Nothing special here, but certainly to style. Head retention is only okay.

Smell is pretty much the same as many euro lagers I've had...smells kind of like a heineken. A bit of grassy hop, some malt, the usual

Taste is lacking, seriously... Despite the hop aroma, I had kind of a hard time distinguishing anything more than a minimal amount from the taste. This is a very sweet lager (something that I don't quite enjoy). While there is a certain crispness to the flavor, I just couldn't get past the sweetness.

Carbonation was also kind of lacking, leaving this brew with an almost slick character that I did not enjoy.

Note: This is my first Magic Hat beer, and I am not impressed. At first, I thought I might have a bad bottle, but judging from other reviews of this one on the site, I think that this one just might have fallen short. While it will not keep me from trying their other beers in the future, this one from MH is one that I will never have again. I would take Budweiser *gasp* over this one any day.

LuckySevens82, Aug 23, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Clear, light gold under paperwhite head that shortly gives up the ghost. Sweet-rot, fermenting hay scent. Sickly corn taste with faint bitterness. Sharp and fizzy. Thankfully missing finish. Bleh.

I realize this is what it's supposed to is, but it's a bad joke.

gentlebubbles, Jul 28, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Actually, this doesn't taste like corn flakes. Anyway..requisite straw color, more tangerine than most. Aroma is where they start to lose me, it's a bit fruit like(lemon and apple). Medium mouthfeel is helpful, although it could be a bit more carbonated (it is just enough). Taste, well...thank god it isn't like breakfast cereal, but I am picking up more fruit...lemons and strawberries. Could there be some bitterness in the finish? Maybe. I'm not sure. There's not enough crispness in the mouthfeel or taste to make me say, wow, that's a pilsner.

PatandDavid, Jul 28, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

I love the eccentric gems of wisdom underneath the bottle caps. This Magic Hat pours a clear, straw yellow body, with a medium sized, white head that quickly departs, with only a hint of patch lace.

Aroma is of Pils malt, noble hops, and a hint of lemon.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, and akin to a macro lager.

Taste is lemony citrus, with biscuity, pilsner malt characteristics.

This is a "lawnmower beer", but a good one. Goes down very well, and is very drinkable. Certainly, not up to par with the other Magic Hat offerings I've sampled in the past week, but this is one that should appeal to the masses.

merlin48, Jul 26, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

I served the Mother Lager in a Pilsner glass out of a 12 oz green bottle. Freshness date was best enjoyed before September 2004. I don't get the green bottle.

The appearance was a golden clear yellow with surprisingly nice lacings on the sides.

Nothing about the smell stands out to me....some faint whiffs of citrus and earthy notes.

Taste is sugary and sweet. Light beer with some minimal hints of citrus. Very drinkable beer, but I'm not a big fan of this offering from Magic Hat or Pilsners in general. It kind of reminds me of a Molson Golden without the skunkness that can sometimes be associated with Molson.
I think this would be an ideal beer for converting most macro only drinkers.

Hibernator, Jul 25, 2004