Mother Lager - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

The Evolved Euro-Style Lager. Brewed to spur the people to unite in the fight for imbibing emancipation and smash the oppressive tyranny of malt monotony! Mother Lager was a refreshing, evolved alternative to the familiar Euro-style imports, exported from the People's Republic of Vermont.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 09-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mother Lager Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -40.9%

This must be a cruel joke on behalf of Magic Hat. What the hell? I have always known the company to release unique beer that is normally excellent quality. A green bottle is just the starter of this lame beer. There is not anything that makes this beer stand out (or even fare better) tan any other lager. Blah! I would drink this only when in dire need.

2.03/5  rDev -38.5%

8/25/2004. I've become to expect good things from Magic Hat but this is the first Lager I've tried from them so I wasn't sure what I'd get. Golden color topped by a thin head. Only a little bit of lacing on the glass and the aroma is slightly skunked. There's not a whole lot that's enjoyable with the taste either. Musty, corn flavor with some bitter hops mixed in. Not really that smooth. Slightly sweet but not as sweet as most Magic Hat brews. This reminds me more of domestic crap than a good Magic Hat brew.

2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

12 oz green bottle direct from PPoitras care of BIF 13

Pours your standard honey/straw color of a pilsner/american lager. Nothing special here, but certainly to style. Head retention is only okay.

Smell is pretty much the same as many euro lagers I've had...smells kind of like a heineken. A bit of grassy hop, some malt, the usual

Taste is lacking, seriously... Despite the hop aroma, I had kind of a hard time distinguishing anything more than a minimal amount from the taste. This is a very sweet lager (something that I don't quite enjoy). While there is a certain crispness to the flavor, I just couldn't get past the sweetness.

Carbonation was also kind of lacking, leaving this brew with an almost slick character that I did not enjoy.

Note: This is my first Magic Hat beer, and I am not impressed. At first, I thought I might have a bad bottle, but judging from other reviews of this one on the site, I think that this one just might have fallen short. While it will not keep me from trying their other beers in the future, this one from MH is one that I will never have again. I would take Budweiser *gasp* over this one any day.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Pours a crystal clear golden straw color, topped by a decent white head that shows respectable retention. Minimal hop aroma intermingled with a bit of graininess. Smells like a decent macro; nothing remarkable. Flavor is thin and light, with a heavy grainy aftertaste. Does this have adjuncts in it, because it sure seems like it might. Tastes a little better with big gulps for some reason. Mouthfeel is respectable for a very light beer. Drinkability suffers more in the "would I like another" category...umm, no I don't think I would. Magic Hat makes some nice beers. Was this an April release or something? I don't get it. This is just a little bit better than standard American Lagers. Even the label art is sub-par for Magic Hat.

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

I picked this up in a mix 12 pack along with 9, HiPA, and Hocus Pocus. It comes in a green bottle with what I would call a "russian" look to the label.
I drank this straight from the bottle so I don't know the exact color but it was definetly a light color as the bottle was translucent . I can't write much about this beer as it wasn't something I would enjoy more than once. If you like Heineken you will like this beer.

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

Twelve ounce greent twist cap bottle. Best by month notched on label.

Pale straw gold, impecibly clear. Some slow moving small bubbles float to the top. A thin off white head quickly recedes into a halo.

The unmistakable smell of spicy saaz hops mixes with fresh cut grass & rotting vegtables.

A sharp bitter attack of the tongue right off the bat. Some bready flavours & crisp hops with more of that grass note. Ends with a sour tastes that lingers far too long. Smooth & crisp, medium bodied, relaxed carbonation.

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

Bottle cap: "Music Soothes our Savage Yeast".

Green bottle. Label clearly designed to recall communist Russia. I know Magic Hat tries (too hard?) to be unconventional, but what are they thinking? Trying to tap into some huge market for USSR industrial lagers?

Body is clear, strong yellow gold, topped at first by a rocky inch of white foam, which quickly settles down to a thin table cloth. Some decent lacing.

Pleasant but unassertive hayfield nose.

Taste starts off with a decent soft malt splash down. However, as the hops arrive with the slightest of a tickle, there is also a strong sour twang that carries thru until the finish. Aftertaste consists of a mild hop zip vying with some soapiness.

Nice soft mouthfeel, at least at the start of each sip.

Drinkability? Why would be the question. Little to recommend. Perhaps if I have the next one much colder.

What do you know, truth in advertising. I thought the bottle and label were an attempt at irony, but this beer does seem like a cheap Soviet macro. I'd be bitterly disappointed, except there was nothing "bitter" present.

Try Otter Creek's vastly superior Vermont Lager instead.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Actually, this doesn't taste like corn flakes. Anyway..requisite straw color, more tangerine than most. Aroma is where they start to lose me, it's a bit fruit like(lemon and apple). Medium mouthfeel is helpful, although it could be a bit more carbonated (it is just enough). Taste, well...thank god it isn't like breakfast cereal, but I am picking up more fruit...lemons and strawberries. Could there be some bitterness in the finish? Maybe. I'm not sure. There's not enough crispness in the mouthfeel or taste to make me say, wow, that's a pilsner.

2.6/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I to purchaced this in a mixed mulit-12 pack just to get the Ravell Magic Hat seasonal,
which I love. The MOTHER LAGER was the only one I just couldn't deal with. Maybe
its the grassy flavor in the middle somewhere that just didn't taste
right to me. It finished ok for a lighter style lager but every time
I open one up and tried to get into it(Magic Hat of all the beers I enjoy have a way of changing flavors while your drinking) , that grassy flavor shows up
and takes charge. Who knows, maybe I got a skunked batch left out somewhere to long? Its not a bad beer but of all the MH beers I
love, this one disspoints but you can't win em all.

2.7/5  rDev -18.2%

Clear, light gold under paperwhite head that shortly gives up the ghost. Sweet-rot, fermenting hay scent. Sickly corn taste with faint bitterness. Sharp and fizzy. Thankfully missing finish. Bleh.

I realize this is what it's supposed to is, but it's a bad joke.

2.8/5  rDev -15.2%

A slight letdown from Magic Hat. This beer isn't particularly offensive in any way, but it's awfully boring and lacking in the aroma/flavor departments. Reminds me of Heinekin, maybe Becks. Very little aroma, mouthfeel's watery. Probably great for a hot day, but otherwise, I won't be going out of my way for this.

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

Mother Lager- Magic Hat "you're never alone with a bone"

Mother Lager poured a light yellow with no head.
Smell was of hops, grass, & straw.
Taste was disappointing. Hops, grass, and a hint of sunflower seed?! Not bad tasting but not very enjoyable.
mouthfeel is watery with a slight sharp carbonation in the rear.

Overall a forgettable lager that Magic Hat should discontinue.

My first "bad" magic hat beer. Hopefully my last too.

This was the weakest of the Magic Hat offerings at the brewery tap, yet I still found it fresh, crisp and refreshing. This is their answer to the Macros I am sure and while they really reach with some of the styles they brew this is a middle of the road un-adventurous beer aimed at the college boy crowd that have a Che Guevara poster in their dorm room. Still and all it was clean, crisp and refeshing, albeit largely devoid of character.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

Appears a light yellow with a small white head. Huge chunks of carbonation. Fades into a small fizzle with some spotty lacing.
Smell is of a typical imported pilsner with a bit of hops that pop and a faint bit of skunkiness in the background. I really don't like green bottles.
Taste is of a slight Saaz like hoppiness with a grassiness and adjunct lager taste that Magic Hat decided to delve into.
Mouthfeel is ok. It sort of sticks around and sits in the middle of the tongue.
Drinkability, again, is ok. I think they could do a bit better but I picked up a six pack for $5 and this is a replacement for Vermonters to buy instead of an import.
Sort of reminds me of Heinekin and I think that's what the object was with this one...to replace imports at the local bars with this. I think this was a good idea with the whole Yuengling craze that took over much of PA and other parts of the East coast.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drink by August, so maybe this could stand to be a bit more fresh.
This beer is pretty orthodox all in all. Macro drinkers shouldn't be too scared off by this one, though it's a bit more bitter and flavorful than most macros.
Drinks like a Becks or St. Pauli girl. No odor to speak of, a clean flavor of grass and grain with a bitter finish. Malts are barely present while the hops rub and chafe more so than bite.
Fine for keeping around during hot weather but another somewhat average brew from Magic Hat.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

I pour this chilled sample into my pint glass, not expecting much after twisting the cap off of a green bottle, but here goes.
THe beer pours clear yellow (uhoh) with a bright white head foaming up easily and fading slowly.
The aroma is mild overall but gives hints of hop and malt and maybe a little of the "light struck" skunkiness. This odor is very faint so I am not super worried abouthe brew.
The first sip reveals average but sharp carbonation and a fairly thin body.
The flavor is mild sweet up front with a small hop bite in the middle and finishes slightly sweet malty. The beer is very crisp and refreshing and would definitely be better suited for a hot day at the beach not a winters nite, but there was one in my fridge and I needed a gentler beer tonite.
This is a very mild brew and drinkable, just dont expect any complexity from it.
Probably wouldnt buy it again.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

Gave this beer a shot as it was included in a 12-pack mix from Magic Hat. Interesting, not what I would have expected from Magic Hat, screw off cap and a green bottle but thought I would give it a chance.

The brew poured to a very light golden color with a good-sized head, which had good retention and ok lacing qualities. Looks like it has a pretty good amount of carbonation as I can see a lot of bubbles coming up through the brew. The smell is hoppy with a light sour (skunky?) / spice smell, and can also notice the hints of Malt. The aroma is not great but even with the statement about the sour/skunkiness it is not bad. The taste is very light with a little bitter bite. A fair amount of carbonation but not as much as I expected. Over all this beer seems to be a bit boring, not much to it.

I am not sure what I was expecting based on the appearance, but not what I normally would expect from Magic Hat. Would be hard pressed to get this brew again. Feel that they have far to many better ones!

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

I served the Mother Lager in a Pilsner glass out of a 12 oz green bottle. Freshness date was best enjoyed before September 2004. I don't get the green bottle.

The appearance was a golden clear yellow with surprisingly nice lacings on the sides.

Nothing about the smell stands out to me....some faint whiffs of citrus and earthy notes.

Taste is sugary and sweet. Light beer with some minimal hints of citrus. Very drinkable beer, but I'm not a big fan of this offering from Magic Hat or Pilsners in general. It kind of reminds me of a Molson Golden without the skunkness that can sometimes be associated with Molson.
I think this would be an ideal beer for converting most macro only drinkers.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

Under the cap it says, "Don't let your tongue come undone." I must say that's an unique label. Quite funny as well. Poured out a yellow/golden color with some carbonation visible, but went away quickly to just lacing around the rim. Some hops blend in with some malts, but it was a little light. Some citrus notes can be detected as well, but also very light. Taste was a little unbalanced I thought. Some hop flavor in there with some grain and malts. Malts seemed to be sweet but mixes in with some very sharp spiciness. That spiciness lasts all the way into the aftertaste. A little too much I thought. Average for sure.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

Paid $13.99 for the 12-pack sampler

First off, I am going to say that this beer reminded me of a slightly tastier Stroh's and move on to my review now...

The appearence is well, avereage, looks like a macro-brew equivalent golden color with a small-medium white head, that slightly retains, and a tad bit of lacing, the bottle label is kinda cool though. The smell wasn't too distinct, hops meets malted barley...

The taste hits about what the aroma gave away, pure averageness with hints of a citrus taste (common in pilseners)... Mouthfeel and Drinkability hit above average for two reasons, it goes down pretty good (since it's light) and there isn't a strong taste in this one, making it pretty drinkable...

Final Thought: I'd spend close to half the money next time on Stroh's if I want a somewhat comparable beer, overall... that's what I get with a sampler pack!

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

The beer pours a gold color with a frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry pale malt scent with a lager finish. There is little in the way of hops. The taste is average as well. It has a pale malt core with Czech style hops and a lager yeast finish that is quite dry. It goes down easy and isn't skunky. It has a grainy flavor. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinking pilsner. It's not the best out there, but it will do in a pinch.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

I find this offering by the Magic Hat Brewery to be average at best,
one of the lesser lights in the Magic Hat stable of fine beers.
The appearance is of a mildly cloudy offering with a very light head and minimal carbonation, quickly resulting into a large glass of apple juice.
The body feels a little bit empty and the aroma is that of cooked corn.
The taste is fairly well balanced with a slight edge to the malts to end. No linger, just a feeling of abandonment.
This is one member of the Magic Hat family that requires some fine tuning.

Mother Lager from Magic Hat Brewing Company