Humble Patience - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Irish Red Ale |  4.60% ABV

The result of mystical exhortation and strange portents in the sky, Humble Patience was complex without being heavy...a marriage of many riches. An Irish-Style, deep-ruby Red Ale with tantalizing layers of flavor.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Humble Patience Alström Bros

they started brewing this beer again as a "throwback." i bought it in the fall 12 pack mixer.

deep amber color. dark but clear. low, but creamy tan head.

medium malt aroma. low caramelization aroma. smells sweet. no hop aroma.

taste is immediately malty, which gives way to the caramelization, and the roastiness becomes apparent in the finish. slight nutty flavor. finish is a bit dry. no hop flavor.

body is pretty thin. smooth. medium carbonation. no alcohol warmth.

not really a bad beer here. a bit thin i think for the style. enjoy

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Humble Patience, thy name be hallowed, for you were one of the beers that came in that fabled 12 pack of Magic Hat that I consumed for the first time, nearly 10 years ago, which would spark a journey like no other.

Pours a dark brown/burgundy color with a thin head into my glass. The color seems true to style.

Let thy aroma caress thy olfactory glad. Sweet, chewy malt awaits, with just a touch of smokiness.

Your sweet, chewy malt awaits my taste buds. You're mellow, delicious and crisp.

Lingering, sweat, peaty malt accentuates a mouthfeel that is like no other.

My only regret is that I can't go back nearly 10 years to see if the beer has changed. Fortunately, it is still as tasty as I remember.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

It is definitely a breath of fresh air to see Magic Hat bringing back some of their old offerings. This one was amongst my favorites when I first starting getting in to craft beer years ago. Quite dark looking upon pouring, almost brown looking, but after holding it up to the light it becomes a radiant blood red. Sweet malt and moss comes through in the nose, along with a hint of diacetyl, which I am assuming is a byproduct of the ringwood yeast strain. Yep, the ringwood is still there on this one, as a slight buttery flavor hits the palate almost immediately. Other flavors I get include chocolate, maple syrup and toasted grains. Mouthfeel is true to form, coming off a bit heavier than other reds. Also, hardly any detection of hops, which is like for this beer. The low alcohol content also makes this a nice sessionable brew. I have to hand it to MH in that this tastes very similar to the original recipe. If they put this out in six packs again, I would be a happy man. Hell, while we are at it, do an entire mix pack of all your original offerings!

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Taken from a 2011 Night of the Living Dead variety pack.

The Magic Hat Humble Patience pours a deep ruby red with an off-white head. The aroma is of faint toffee and malt.

The flavor is good, dominated by sweetness (as you would expect from the style). Hops are there but so far in the background as to be almost non-existent. This beer could use a little bit of bitterness.

I believe that the one place the Humble Patience suffers is in the mouthfeel department. This beer is a little watery and lacks body. If there was a bit more carbonation, this could also improve things. This is a good beer but nothing more than that.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

On draft at the brewery. Sample.

Clear brownish red. Nose is like a classic Irish red ale. Roasted and grain-like with a touch of cherry. Palate is crisp and clean. Flavors of amber malt, sweet cherry and red mulch. Short clean finish.

Just as good as I remember it being 6 years ago. Glad they brought it back. One of their best efforts.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a dark color which is almost black with red highlights. Very rich texture, medium head and a lot of lace. Rich chocolate, smokey taste to it with some bold, maybe not so fresh coffee. A slightly bitter finish. Not quite what I thought it was going to be. Glad I tried it.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Poured huge initial head..dark redish wood. Fragrant spicey aroma. Chocalate and other malts, not too sweet, appropriately carbonated. Bit of roasted grounds, chewy, easy drink..like a draft. Bittersweet finish and aftertaste. Light mouthfeel beyond the chewy foam.Quite quaffable.

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

This poured with a thick tan/light brown head and was crystal-clear reddish brown in color. I noted lots of malty sweetness on the nose. The mouthfeel was nothing great, but there was a distinct malty sweetness both in the mouth and on the finish. It was a pleasant enough beer, but it was not enough to cause me to go running for another.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

very dark crimson, clarity only visible through exposure to a high wattage bulb. slight crown of bubbles, not much head. real nutty, lagery aroma with slight hop notes and a sour malt profile. nothing special in the nose. taste is smooth with malty vanilla, finishes with a light & sweet caramel.. this enhances the dark berry characteristics of the dark chocolate m&ms i just ate. something freshly plant-like in the mix of aroma and flavor. virtually no aftertaste. drinkable for a predominantly malty beer but absolutely nothing special. i will not shed a tear over the retirement of this predominantly average brew... schwarzbierish.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer is a deep reddish brown color, topped with a creamy off white nitro head. Good clarity, once the nitro pour haze has settled. Typical nitro retention and lacing. Sheets down the glass, with a pool of suds that won't quit. It sits on the bottom long after the beer is gone.
The aroma is a bit weak, with a somewhat tinny quality, like most nitro poured beers. Pleasant caramel malt sweetness is balanced by a woodsy, slightly citric hop profile. Mild fruitiness, mostly pear, with a touch of buttery diacetyl.
The flavor opens with a slightly grainy, caramel malt sweetness. Toasty, with a mellow, estery fruitiness adding to the enjoyment. Slightly buttery, moving into a surprisingly hoppy finish. Adequate bitterness, somewhere along the lines of what you'd expect in a pale ale, with the slightest bit of chocolate malt in the finish. A little bitterness in the end from dark roasted malt and graininess. Pleasant fruitiness and malt in the aftertaste. Medium bodied, with smooth-as-can-be creamy nitro carbonation. A bit grainy and rough around the edges, but I like that. A good session beer, particularly with the creamy nitro smoothness, nothing especially challenging.
It's a shame this one's getting retired, but I figure I should review it beforet the beer is gone. One of Magic Hat's better regular offerings, I think. I've had this as a "fallback" beer many times.

Appears a dark brown with a hint of red. Nice bubbly 2 finger tan head with lots of sticky lacing.
Smell is of toasted malt with caramel, toffee, along with a hint of anise and smokiness.
Taste is of well balanced malt infusion with just a hint of hops and buttery ringwood rounding it out.
Mouthfeel is smooth with a sweetness and bitterness hovering over the tongue, leaving a mild smokiness lingering towards the back of the tongue.
I'm not sure why I've never really gravitated towards this one in all the years of drinking Magic Hat. This is actually a well done beer that reminds me a bit of an English style ale.

Finger licking good.

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

This is a really good Irish ale with body and character!

It is dark brown with a nice whitish head. Has a nice aroma. Very smooth, malty and earthy. Slight hopiness and dry finish.

Very rich with moderate carbonation. Should be savored. One of my favorites!

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

This one pours a dark red color with a medium head that falls fast and leaves some lacing on the sides of the glass. The aroma is strange because I found a lot of roasted malt mixed in with the standard red ale aromas. The flavor has a fair amount of the roasted malt in there as well as the biscuit malt and some slight hops. An interesting twist on the Irish Red style. Has a fairly full body and the drinkability was good.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: I've had this before and I don't remember it looking like this. It is a ruby red but has a dark black hue to it. I don't remember it being this dark...It almost has a stout look to it. Either way, it's appearance is pretty normal.

Smell: Damn this smells great. I'm getting sugar coated rasperries, sweet malts, milk chocolate, and toffee.

Taste: Sweet malts with some fruit esthers. Diacytal is present, it has a buttery creaminess to it. Hop finish is mild and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied. Malty I guess you could say it was a bit creamy.

Drinkability: Good pub beer

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Good beer. It pours a deep, dark scarlet brown and doesn't leave much of a head except from some little lacing along the top and on the sides.

Chocolate, raisins, and coffee in the nose. The chocolate is the strongest in the taste, and the malty sweetness is balanced well by a slight hop bitterness.

This is an interesting and unique beer. It sort of straddles the line between a Porter, a Scotch, and a Red.

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on-tap as I did a pub-crawl in Brooklyn Heights. Stopped into the Brazen Head and - LOW AND BEHOLD - it's on tap.

I was very pleased with my selection. After looking back, I've noticed I have been regularly disappointed with my Magic Hat beers. I find them bland and uninteresting. I find the Ringwood yeast annoying. I find I become bored with them very quickly.

Enter Humble Patience. What I've realized is that Magic Hat excels at what they're best at - making great session beers that have subtle nuances. They're not trying to blow you away with bold and aggressive flavors; they're seducing you with drinkable session ales. The Humble Patience was my favorite one I've every tried from them. My sample was smooth, well-balanced, and very drinkable. One of the best domestic session beers I've had.

I've recently heard they discontinued this beer, which would be a shame if it were true. Perhaps with enough positive reviews and hype we could get them to bring it back.

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%

This one really caught me off guard. I'm not a huge magic hat fan as I'm bothered by their "cute" names of their beers. But I got this on sale and thought I'd try it as I do like a nice Irish Ale. WoW! This is a very nice, balanced ale with just enough hops to make it interesting. Overall this would make--will make an excellent "session beer." Good drinking!

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

¾ pint
Dated for March (end of month)

Appearance – dark red body; almost a soda-like head; left the scene like a soda’s head; lace was barely in the house

Smell – black coffee; a bit of molasses, earth, grass, roast and chocolate

Taste – a touch of smoke and caramel blends with roast; malts dominate; bitterness takes a back seat

Mouthfeel – a relatively rich body is cut into by a muted but consistent crisp ride of carbonation; end is a bit peculiar – dry but also a bit layering on back of the tongue; nevertheless, overall the feel is smooth enough

Drinkability – the close detracts from the drinkability but overall it is satisfying

This would be nice ale for the summer barbecue.

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

Pour: Dark clear brown, not much head, similar in appearance to Stout.
Nose:Nice chocolate and Coffee, and Plum.
Taste:Similar to smell, with a slight citrusy twist toward the end, well balanced!
Mouth: light watery and moderately carbonated, slight creaminess.
Drinkability: Very Good! Was much better than I had expected, I will revisit this.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Pours a deep copper with a big head that stuck around for a few minutes before leaving a nice lace in the glass. Nose has a lot of toasted malt in it with a very, very faint hop character that gives way to an espresso scent as it warms. Not too interesting to sniff. Taste is somewhat better, though, very toasted and tasty with the same chocolate and coffee notes. Not much hop character to speak of here, either, but not to the real detriment of the taste. The mouthfeel is a creamy medium that is certainly pleasant. Overall drinkability is okay, you certainly don't have to choke it down.
Overall, an interesting brew if you're into all things malty. Not something I'm going to stock regularly in my fridge, or even ever purchase again, but definitely drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Dark cherry-copper with orange peel accents. The ecru colored head is semi-firm with a bubblicious surface and leaves a few small spatters of lace that eventually turn into a fat ring at midglass.

Humble Patience smells much more malty than it does hoppy. I'm not sure how an Irish red differs from a red ale, so this nose could be spot on for the style for all I know. It consists of well-toasted malt with underpinnings of cocoa and a suggestion of dark fruit. Hops take a back seat. On second thought, they're not even that prominent. Hops are in the trunk.

There's no question that this is a Magic Hat beer. I simply don't care for the yeast they use, although it's buried to a greater extent here than in some of their other offerings. The flavor profile consists of moderately roasted malt, dark caramel and chocolate/cocoa. This just might be the roastiest red in existence. There's also a sour fruitiness that morphs into bitterness as the mouthful progresses. Light-medium mouthfeel with a low level of carbonation.

Humble Patience is strange beer, but it isn't bad beer. It looks like I'll have a little trouble finding something that I love from Magic Hat (other than Hi.P.A., this is my favorite so far). Thanks to far333 for the bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer poured a deep, dark amber color, almost red. There was a medium off-white head.

The scent suggested hops, but it wasn't over-the-top pungent. It suggested to me that I was about to try something new.

I really enjoyed the taste of this beer. It went down very smooth, with hints of hop bitterness that balanced the beer out. It wasn't very sweet. To me, it tasted almost like a stout, mainly due to the fact that it was slightly heavier than other beers I have tried.

The mouthfeel on this beer was pleasant; definitely above average. I could certainly drink this as a "session beer" or as part of the Magic Hat This 'n' That 12 pack (from which this beer came). Overall, very enjoyable, and definitely worth a try for anyone who wants to explore this style.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Lots of malt bitter, very strong. It's nice. Looks like deep brown, but up to the light a dark ruby red shines through. Head is a fair approximation of my skin tone--er, I'm Caucasian. Sharp taste. A little cloying and perhaps not enough supporting flavors, but I like the malt and the hops seem to hold their own. Other notes, let's see...not quite chocolate but close enough, a rich roast coffee, a tiny hint of that macro-shit-beer tang that always annoys me, aaand...the very faintest hint of strawberry? Not much else.

All told, a solid beer, but definitely not the most complex or drinkable of its class. Perfect for when you want good beer but won't be grilling the taste for every last flavor under a 60 watt bulb in an otherwised darkened interrogation room.

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearence: Pours a deep deep red with a thin beige head. The head leaves little lacing but stays for a while.

Smell: Smells very spicy and strong. It suprises me how much it smells like alcohol, but only 4.8%?

Taste and Mouthfeel: Tastes bland. A very spicy and malty flavor overpowers any form of balance this beer could represent. The hops are almost impossible to detect, and the malts are very uncontrolled. The mouthfeel is good though, chewy and creamy. Lingers for a while.

Drinkability and Overall: Very European tasting, and not in a smooth way. I got bored with this beer quickly. The crappy and unbalanced taste of this beer really make it one I wouldn't care to have again. Magic Hat has dissapointed me. Damn.

Bottle: Poured a medium black color ale with a medium head that disappeared way too fast. Aroma is comprised of roasted malt (probably some oatmeal). Taste is also dominated by roasted malt, so much that I almost though I was drinking a light stout, and the end was also bitter. Overall, this is an average beer that seems to sit between two style (Irish ale and dry stout).

Humble Patience from Magic Hat Brewing Company