Single Chair Ale - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Single Chair AleSingle Chair Ale

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Single Chair celebrates the uniqueness of the Mad River Glen Cooperative Ski Area in Vermont. Medium bodied and ideally balanced for all tastes, Single Chair's tempting light golden color, heady aroma and smooth liquid go down effortlessly and often!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single Chair Ale Alström Bros

Silentraven37, Jan 22, 2012

Sebas, Apr 16, 2014

HEADYdb, Jun 02, 2012

B_Long, Mar 10, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +35.4%

I had thought I had tried everything from the Hat, but I was pleasantly proven wrong. This brew has a nice light golden glow and spicy aroma. The first flavor to jump out is the spicy hops. This brew has a characteristic I have never tasted in a beer before, the hoppiness morphs into a lingering malt sweetness. I loved this beer.

beernut7, Jul 25, 2002

MTfish, Oct 16, 2013

Trumbullout, Mar 13, 2012

jzmaui1, May 14, 2013

balinor, Aug 01, 2013

ErikVT, Jul 20, 2014

Saison9s, Sep 11, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours a light gold color with a one-finger head into my pint glass.

Aroma is full of grainy malt and light hop bitterness. A bit sweet as well, like a pils.

Taste is smooth and full of grainy malt and very light hop bitterness. Not too sweet. As the review below says, I can agree that it seems like No.9 without the apricot.

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry and the hop bitterness shows up more at the back of the throat. Again, smooth and decently drinkable.

I have to admit that I didn't like this beer when I had it at the brewery a few months ago. However, it really is underrated. I could drink pints of this because the low ABV makes it easier to enjoy.

Brad007, Jan 31, 2009

BrooklynPanch, Feb 18, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +26.2%

Dietter, Aug 18, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

On the smell I get that sweet grainy pilsner smell with herbal spicy grassy hops. The taste is just like this with a bit of spicy hop in the beginning with the sweet grainy pilsner malt taste following and then ending with the dryness from the yeast and hops. It has a pretty nice lingering bitterness for only 17 IBUs I think it is. It definitely tastes like more. The hop taste and bitterness is very herbal, dry and grassy tasting. I also get a bit of a lemony taste in there as well.

I like how the dryness from the hops the sweet grainy malt taste and yeast taste perfectly combine together for a really good tasting lighter beer. This is a fantastic "lawnmower beer" and has all the right qualities of a session beer. Actually one of the tastiest well rounded lighter beers I've had. This is like Magic Hat's twist on an American Adjunct yet it has no adjuncts and has a better yeast, hop and malt taste over one any day.

thebrood1987, Jun 14, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color with great transparence. Head is super-frothy and pours very high, while heavy carbonation visible through the glass bubbles its way up through the head and out of the beer. Head dimples down nicely, with some light, bubbly lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Grassy, bitter hop character accented by some very gentle floral tones. Some mild sweetness with the malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer has a perfect level of carbonation; keeps things active but doesn't overpower. A great malt base takes hold on the tongue, and a gentle herbal spiciness dots through the malt. Very nice APA.

Overall: Not over-the-top, out-of-this world awesome, but hey...it's a good beer.

Lauthaha, Sep 13, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +22%

Appearance: Light golden clear color. White head.

Smell: Fruity and citrusy aroma (berries).

Tatse: Very interesting. The flavors danced with each other in my mouth. At first I tasted fruit berry flavors mixed with some hops. Then the malt flavor kicked in behind that was bitter compared to the sweet fruity taste, but not in and of itself bitter. Finally the finish was a nut taste. Like three countermelodies, these flavors were very distinct from one another yet still went very well together. Progressive indeed.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Easy drinking.

Very unique. Unlike any beer I've had before. Would definitely have this again.

Denali, Feb 12, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

This is by far my most laborious beer review to date:

There was much confusion around this one. I had it at a restaurant in downtown Boston called Houston's (great food but expensive)--where they call it Magic Hat golden ale. So I look it up on BA-can't find it. I'm back in same restaurant a few wks later and I ask for info on it (style, abv, etc). They don't have any but they tell me its like # 9 w/o apricot. I'm thinking no it isn't--so I call the brewery. I ask is there a golden ale you make ??--I don't see it on your (crazy) website. The friendly staffperson at the brewery has no idea what I'm talking about so I tell her about # 9 w/o apricot and she say oh that's batch 369. I read a few reviews of 369 here and I know that it is not 369. A month later I ask someone else at Houstons and they finally say its called Single Chair Ale-I look it up
here and I have finally found the right one.

A-pretty golden--maybe it should be called golden ale-it might sell better, although the other name Spaceman is obviously a tribute to former Red Sox pitcher Bill "Spaceman" Lee-- a huge VT proponent and local cult hero in northern VT. It leaves a minimal head -settles to nothing but wispy foam, some minor lace on glass.

S-malty-hoppy and fresh with some fruitiness. It reminds me of pears or honeydew melon - some grape-like character too.

T-starts off fruity like the scent --then kind of has some nutty/malty taste. Has some belgian-like complexity which is most likely the grape/vinous aspects noticed on the nose--yet it remains pretty true to the style.

MF-soda-like fizziness. Foamy but dry and bordering on a velvet feel.

D- Quite smooth and easy to consume. Would make a better session beer on a hot day in the Summer than in the Winter.

rousee, Feb 13, 2005