Single Chair Ale - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2002

Single Chair celebrates the uniqueness of the Mad River Glen Cooperative Ski Area in Vermont. Medium bodied and ideally balanced for all tastes, Single Chair's tempting light golden color, heady aroma and smooth liquid go down effortlessly and often!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Single Chair Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +36%

I had thought I had tried everything from the Hat, but I was pleasantly proven wrong. This brew has a nice light golden glow and spicy aroma. The first flavor to jump out is the spicy hops. This brew has a characteristic I have never tasted in a beer before, the hoppiness morphs into a lingering malt sweetness. I loved this beer. (336 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +31.4%

Pours a light gold color with a one-finger head into my pint glass.

Aroma is full of grainy malt and light hop bitterness. A bit sweet as well, like a pils.

Taste is smooth and full of grainy malt and very light hop bitterness. Not too sweet. As the review below says, I can agree that it seems like No.9 without the apricot.

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry and the hop bitterness shows up more at the back of the throat. Again, smooth and decently drinkable.

I have to admit that I didn't like this beer when I had it at the brewery a few months ago. However, it really is underrated. I could drink pints of this because the low ABV makes it easier to enjoy. (660 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Single Chair Ale brewed by Magic Hat Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice thick white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. There is also a hit of sweetness in the smell of this brew. The taste is rich with flavor. You pick up on the sweetness at the end of this brew. The mouthfeel is rich, smooth and refreshing. I like how this brew goes down smooth, with no bad aftertaste. Single Chair Ale has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Magic Hat Brewing Company did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving Single Chair Ale 4.5 out 5. I would buy this brew again. (671 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

On the smell I get that sweet grainy pilsner smell with herbal spicy grassy hops. The taste is just like this with a bit of spicy hop in the beginning with the sweet grainy pilsner malt taste following and then ending with the dryness from the yeast and hops. It has a pretty nice lingering bitterness for only 17 IBUs I think it is. It definitely tastes like more. The hop taste and bitterness is very herbal, dry and grassy tasting. I also get a bit of a lemony taste in there as well.

I like how the dryness from the hops the sweet grainy malt taste and yeast taste perfectly combine together for a really good tasting lighter beer. This is a fantastic "lawnmower beer" and has all the right qualities of a session beer. Actually one of the tastiest well rounded lighter beers I've had. This is like Magic Hat's twist on an American Adjunct yet it has no adjuncts and has a better yeast, hop and malt taste over one any day. (929 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color with great transparence. Head is super-frothy and pours very high, while heavy carbonation visible through the glass bubbles its way up through the head and out of the beer. Head dimples down nicely, with some light, bubbly lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Grassy, bitter hop character accented by some very gentle floral tones. Some mild sweetness with the malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer has a perfect level of carbonation; keeps things active but doesn't overpower. A great malt base takes hold on the tongue, and a gentle herbal spiciness dots through the malt. Very nice APA.

Overall: Not over-the-top, out-of-this world awesome, but hey...it's a good beer. (744 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance: Light golden clear color. White head.

Smell: Fruity and citrusy aroma (berries).

Tatse: Very interesting. The flavors danced with each other in my mouth. At first I tasted fruit berry flavors mixed with some hops. Then the malt flavor kicked in behind that was bitter compared to the sweet fruity taste, but not in and of itself bitter. Finally the finish was a nut taste. Like three countermelodies, these flavors were very distinct from one another yet still went very well together. Progressive indeed.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Easy drinking.

Very unique. Unlike any beer I've had before. Would definitely have this again. (679 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +23%

This is by far my most laborious beer review to date:

There was much confusion around this one. I had it at a restaurant in downtown Boston called Houston's (great food but expensive)--where they call it Magic Hat golden ale. So I look it up on BA-can't find it. I'm back in same restaurant a few wks later and I ask for info on it (style, abv, etc). They don't have any but they tell me its like # 9 w/o apricot. I'm thinking no it isn't--so I call the brewery. I ask is there a golden ale you make ??--I don't see it on your (crazy) website. The friendly staffperson at the brewery has no idea what I'm talking about so I tell her about # 9 w/o apricot and she say oh that's batch 369. I read a few reviews of 369 here and I know that it is not 369. A month later I ask someone else at Houstons and they finally say its called Single Chair Ale-I look it up
here and I have finally found the right one.

A-pretty golden--maybe it should be called golden ale-it might sell better, although the other name Spaceman is obviously a tribute to former Red Sox pitcher Bill "Spaceman" Lee-- a huge VT proponent and local cult hero in northern VT. It leaves a minimal head -settles to nothing but wispy foam, some minor lace on glass.

S-malty-hoppy and fresh with some fruitiness. It reminds me of pears or honeydew melon - some grape-like character too.

T-starts off fruity like the scent --then kind of has some nutty/malty taste. Has some belgian-like complexity which is most likely the grape/vinous aspects noticed on the nose--yet it remains pretty true to the style.

MF-soda-like fizziness. Foamy but dry and bordering on a velvet feel.

D- Quite smooth and easy to consume. Would make a better session beer on a hot day in the Summer than in the Winter. (1,771 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +22.4%

Presentation: 1.375 pint bomber bottle. No freshness date. My bottle cap says "Ripper - Dipper - Zipper - Sipper".

Appearance: Pale golden in colour. Pillowy white foam head; good retention and stick.

Smell: A yummy spicy (ginger-like), hoppy/herbal, fresh and malty aroma.

Taste: Light-bodied, but even. Smooth and creamy. There's a calm malty sweetness (sugary) that ebbs its way across the palate. The beer then goes dry, crisp for a brief second then blends down with notes of ginger, strong "green" herbal flavours, oily woody hop character, wheat and mild husky tannins. Soft Ringwood characters linger in the background, but are tame in comparison to the rest of Magic Hat's product line -- a nice change. Finish is dry with tannins and has a semi-oily coating on the palate, with lingering herbal notes and paper.

Notes: From the back label: "The age of corporate mergers & acquisitions is dramatically changing the face of skiing in Vermont. The Mad River Glen Cooperative bucks the trend by remaining independent. Single Chair Ale is our 'tip of the hat' to the Co-op mission of maintaining their unique character for present and future generations. www.madriverglen.com"

What a great offering from Magic Hat. Totally surprised me. I love the character of this beer, especially the hints toward ginger. Truly unique. It too bucks the trend in many ways. Interesting flavours, easy drinking and brings a level of social awareness.

I could easilty see pairing this with sushi, or other fish meals. (1,523 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

On tap at the Maple Leaf, Wilmington, VT.

Golden with a good white head; highly carbonated. Aroma was predominately fruity. Taste was clean and refreshing; hops, malt, and a zesty fruitiness all present. Citrusy, slighly sweet notes were detectable; the finish was a bit more bitter with a dry, slightly fruity aftertaste. (325 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

A pale hazy gold color with a simple white head. This isn't a glamourous beer by any means but it's drinkability is very good. It has a smooth texture of fruity taste that has very slight bitterness. It's on the lighter side so mouthfeel is a little tart and wheaty. If you see it give it a whirl. (297 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

This is one of my favorite beers. I had it once on tap at a nearby bar and loved it. I then couldn't ever find it again. I finally went to the Magic Hat Brewery and brought home a growler. I described it recently as Bud Light's high class cousin.

This beer is a light golden color with a foamy white head that lingers on the glass. Its taste is smooth and not too hoppy. It's the kind of beer that would be excellent to drink on a nice summer evening at a barbecue. (467 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

Presented in a 22oz. bomber, this is a clear, golden colored ale with a small head that left a bit of lace as I drank. When I took a whiff, it smelled almost exactly like the lemon-ginger Hocus Pocus that MagicHat release last summer - full of citrusy hops and a hint of ginger. The only thing that troubles me about this is I wish it was a summer release instead of winter. I can picture myself drinking this out in the sun at a barbeque or what-have-you instead of couped up inside. The taste itself was at first of ginger and spices, and then softened up to a smooth finish. I may be crazy, but I swear the aftertaste was a little reminiscent of shrimp (don't be frightened by this though - this isn't as bad as it sounds). Once again, a beer that I will look for for every season to come. (792 characters)

I stared at the label for a good fifteen minutes before I figured out, "Oh a beer for Bill Lee." With that out of the way, it was time to drink. Golden yellow, with a puffy white head. Good hops, hot over powering. Some citric. Overall a good drinking ale. (256 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I believe this beer can only be bought at a ski resort in Vermont and the Magic Hat Brewery. I had it at the brewery on-tap and upon trying, immediately bought a growler.

One of Magic Hat's better brews and is similar to #9, Hocus Pocus or Circus Boy in that it has a strong floral scent and taste to the beer. Decently hopped, but not over done and not overwhelmingly bitter. (377 characters)

Notes: 22oz bomber bottle/best before may 2003. This is my third beer from Magic hat and it is another great one! This beer pours a nice light yellow golden colour with a big, fluffy, cool-whip head on top. This has some great belgian-like gigner aroms, as well as some floral hops aromas, and some light malt aromas. The taste was less spicy and more malty. This beer had a good dose of hops in it and the mouthfeel was very crisp and satisfying. This could be an excellent summer beer. I hope they keep making this stuff. The drinkability is great too!
Cheers to paceyourself for this sample!,
F. (600 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Brought a growler home from Vermont after visiting the brewery. The beer poured out as a clear golden color with a good looking white head on top. The smell of this beer is almost a splitting images of #9 without the apricot. The same goes for the taste... remove the apricot flavor and you have Single Chair. I found it to be interesting that they were nearly the same brew in my opinion. I like #9 and I found Single Chair to be good also. This was nice to have back at home because it's one of their brews that isn't distributed. Overall, enjoyable refreshing brew (567 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance:

Pale golden color with a thick white head and fast rising bubbles. Looks very clean and refreshing lets see if it is.

Smell:

From the moment I put the brew in front of me I could smell this beer. I can pick out some tree fruits such as pears, bananas, and some spice notes like a faint hint of white pepper. Some hop notes with mild floral characteristics.

Taste:

Clean and refreshing as I predicted. Buttery biscuits with a clean floral juiciness that's nothing like I have experienced before. I can almost pick out hints of ginger and fruit zests.

Mouth feel:

Really clean and easy to drink for an ale. Easy on the stomach too, I could drink many of these. I just wish it had a little more aggressive character to it

Overall:

Excellent summer beer. Refreshing without sacrificing taste. I wouldn't mind having another one of these. Well done MH (867 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +17.8%

the single chair is light in color with little laceing not to hoppy in flavor, mabey could use a liitle more, but overall very drinkable and smooth finishing. ome fruity undertones, not what youd expect from a pale style ale. but overall very good would drink lots of (267 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

I presume it is named after "Spaceman" Bill Lee who used to pitch for the Red Sox and I believe lives in Vt. Label has a baseball on it in the typical Magic Hat Weird Logo. Says it is an ale but reminded me of a lager Medium yellow with a good head and excellent lacing. Smell is mainly malt with some buttery notes. Flavor is a light round malt with an equally light hop finish. Mouthfeel is somewhat light and drinkability therefore is quite good. A good brew to drink cold...quite refreshing...a definite summer type offering. (529 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

On tap at the place it was made for, Mad River Glen. Very pale and very cloudy pour. Intereting. Not too much in the smell I can remember, but it was probably crisp and kind of sweet. Taste had that and more. Apparently the recipe changes every year - This was the first one I've had, so I don't have others for comparison, but I'd swear they used some kind of fruit this time. It screamed of raspberries. The raspberries were right up front, tart and sweet, followed by an extremely crisp and corny aftertaste. It was so corny that I would have thought it a lager if I was not informed prior. But not that twangy harsh corniness of a lager - the good kind. Decent amount of carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink. A nice way to end a day on the slopes. (752 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

Spaceman ale pours up a sizeable and lacy white head to crown it's bright golden body. The mild grass aroma hints at the beers flavor but doesn't tell the while story. The light-bodied ale enjoys a marvelous balance between grass and grainy notes and a tart citrus hop flavor. There's a hint of diacytl butter tying the whole beer together. For a beer with such mild flavors, it's quite interesting. As a magic hat beer, it's surprisingly normal. (446 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

L: Golden yellow with a half an inch head when pou red in a pilsner
S: Don't get much from the smell, smells like a regular ale
T: tastes clean, very eno yale and easy to drink, surprisingly hoppy almost, thumbs up
F: wasn't expecting much but it leaves a nice slight bitter flavor on your mouth
O:Got this beer as a gift from my friend in a growler frim a festival in vermin and the magic hat brewery. Was sure what to expect but turned out to be a very enjoyable ale that I could drink anyday. Goes down smoothly but at the same time has great flavor. (553 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +16.9%

The aroma is sweet and bready malts. I get some pils type aroma also.
The body is very light straw with a bright white head. the head is about a finger tall and is tightly beaded. The carbonation is very aggressive and sure to get the head going.
The taste is good. It's sweet and malty.
Finishes slightly bitter and sharp almost like a pils.
It's a good beer but over carbonated. (381 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Not a big fan of Magic Hat, but the name of the beer intrigued me, and it's not a bad beer. An orange color with a small head. It had a floral aroma, with some fruit (?pear) detectable. It had a sweet taste, nicely hopped. Fairly assertive. I would drink this beer again. (271 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

slightly cloudy yellow with a thin white head the majority of which dissappates quickly. first wiff is of euro lager but after few more it smells slightly belgian with a little bit of a ginger ale smell. i can pick out white grapes and spiciness, and a little of that ginger taste too. it's gets a little bready as it warms. pretty mild but pretty tasty. light to medium bodied. drinkability is good. i just polished off the bomber and i feel like i could drink some more. (472 characters)

Single Chair Ale from Magic Hat Brewing Company