Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Batch 371 (Saint Goötz)Batch 371 (Saint Goötz)

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.90% ABV

Originally released as Batch 371, this was released again as Saint Goötz.

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 07-19-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -58.7%

Bottled as Saint Gootz with best before Feb 2006 date. The initial aroma as someone else noted is somewhat sulfurish and rather funky. Pours a dark reddish color with minimal head. Taste is has hints of banana, clove, bubble gum and caramel. There's some other really funky flavor going on in the taste that I can't identify, but I really don't care for it. Medium bodied.

After a few bottles of this, I decided I really don't like this beer very much at all. I wouldn't buy it again, and it will prove to be a chore to finish off the 12 pack. Yuck.

(should probably be a new category called Funken Weisen)

12/06/2005 - Tried revisiting this with my daughter's boyfriend last night, and I came to the conclusion that this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Tastes like burnt bubblegum - we both ended up doing a drain pour. This is really foul stuff, not enjoyable at all.

1.6/5  rDev -53.8%

Apparently I am not the only one to think this beer is funked. Bought as a single in a mix sixer. Well it looks brown water with a whitish head little lacing. The smell was funky and notes of soured apple mash. It tasted like a belgian brown kind of except the sourness was sharper and there was no real meat, um I mean wheat to this. Thin body and an untimate drain cleaner. I remember liking the 371 when it was out, but this seems wildly different.

1.83/5  rDev -47.1%

Just a terrible, terrible beer than neither I nor my wife could drink. We had to pour about 1/2 into our sink because it was quite revolting.

Started off strong with a nice appearance; dark burgundy/brown in color with a mocha colored head and nice retention. Aromas of plums, alcohol, and grape juice. The taste was essentially that of prune juice with some plum flavors; and that is really not a good thing. Additional flavors of rotten fruit came out as well. Quite thin and juicy, in a bad way. The taste was just so bad, we couldn't believe what we were drinking.

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%

This was a very large disappointment for me, didn't think the "Hat" could produce something this bad.
Colour is a deep murky bronze with a tiny head of very short duration. The carbonation within the boundaries of the glass appears very lively.
The aroma is foremost of alcohol within a glass of "Sherry"
The body is weak and then some.
The taste eludes me...hints of banana, cloves maybe, problem is that it is so dry that any pretense of taste quickly disappears leaving an alcohol aftertaste.
Not impressed. Maybe I got a bad one.

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%

Big head made some bold promises right off the bat. Deep brown in color with hints of red around the edges where the light shows through.

Have a stuffy nose but don't think it matters.

Slightly clovey but not as sophisticated as I would like. The keebler elves show more magic than the hat did with this beer.

I expected more.

2.23/5  rDev -35.5%

The bottle that I got was simply marked as "Batch 371" with a direction to check out mysterybeer.magichat.net. Hmmm. Guess what? I am not a big fan of surprises. I didn't like 'em as a kid, I hate 'em as an adult, and I refuse to spring 'em on my students. That being said, let's start the review.

It poured with a thick, tannish/off-white head that reduced so rapidly that before I even took the first sip, it was almost gone. I questioned in my notes whether or not it might be bottle-conditioned, since there was a lot of yeast suspended following the pour. As such, it was a VERY cloudy orangish color with a coppery yeast scent on the nose. The mouthfeel was thin, approaching watery. I noted a good bit of malt on the palate at the start, but the finish was utterly bland. I just didn't get a whole lot out of the experience.

Not one to give up, I ordered a second bottle and this time, I decanted it VERY carefully to sse if that would make a difference. This time, it was a clear, coppery color with a musty, yeast-driven nose. The taste remained nondescript with a slight tang on the finish. Overall, it was a rather boring beer.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

Bottle: Poured a clear dark brown color beer with a small dark head with minimal retention. Weak aroma of roasted malt is detectable. Taste is dominated by sour malt and seems to leave little place to anything else except maybe a bit of roasted malt. Not sure if this is what was intended or if I had a bad bottle but surely not something that I will revisit anytime soon.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

As always, the Magic Hat packaging is eye-catching. The bottle cap reads, "Buy your Gal Growlers with her Flowers," okay :) 12 oz from a six-pack of Saint Gootz, best by end of March 2006.

Head dies fast, big bubbles, both the head and the beer look a lot like Coke. Dark brown, almost black, pretty thin.

Powerful smell. Mushy bananas and toffee, with wheat and cloves. All maltiness and very sweet, although picking up strong sour apples as it warms.

Taste is mostly sour and generically yeasty. A previous St. Gootz was also sour. Citrus fruits, cloves, coffee, quite an unusual mix of malts. Finish is out of control earthy yeast. Faint bananas. Complex? Yes. Good? No. Too sour and yeasty, needs more wheat malts.

Swirls very nicely in the mouth, the thin body compliments the orange-banana aspect very well. Sort of Coke-ish here as well.

At least the alcohol is masked well in the taste, and the thin body enables it to be put back quickly. However, the oddball, over the top pair of heavy, bland, yeast and sourness is simply not very good, and the finish is narsty. Maybe worth having one, since it is pretty unusual, but I won't be drinking it again. "Funky" best describes this beer, and not in the good way. I am a fan of Magic Hat, but this should go away ... I think I enjoyed it more as mystery #371, but I'm not sure.

2.42/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearence: Pours a very attractive hazy dark reddish brown with a creamy, foamy beige head that leaves nice lacing, and has decent retention.

Smell: Fruits, oak, and yeast all combine into a complex, intruiging, but not 100% pleasin aroma. Some sulfery notes are welcome.

Taste and Mouthfeel: NIce wheat and yeast flavors mix with a horridly inappropriate chocolate/cocoa/coffee note. Blech!! I don't like this one bit, and normally I'm a fan of the style. Taste just unbalanced and gross. The mouthfeel is way too light and thin.

Drinkability and Overall: Magic Hat, you dissapointed me. Oh well, I'm glad I got to try it, although I'd probably pass it up if I saw it again. Cheers!!

2.45/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured a pale brown hue with a 3 finger pillowy head. There was decent retention but poor lacing.

The smell was mostly roasted malt with a bit of an earhy nose.

The flavor was of toasted wheat, with an unidentified and unpleasant sharpness. Relatively dry and a bit metallic. Someone said unripe banana, and I agree. Needs more of a yeast character. Not something I would like to try again.

The mouthfeel was thin and dry.

Not very drinkable. The flavor is entirerly off. Not a good example of the style.

2.48/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown with a red tint, a short tan head that fades quickly and doesn’t leave much lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malt, caramel, dark chocolate, wheat and a touch of dark fruits.

T: It doesn’t taste as sweet as it smells. The flavor is bready, metallic and a little smoky with some chocolate in it. The after-taste is similar to that of a Stout or Porter.

M: Smooth, with a medium body, light-to-medium carbonation.

D: It’s not too filling and has some flavor to it, but something about it just isn’t thrilling me enough to make want another. Overall I just didn’t like it very much.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

A - Pours out the color of a Coke tinted slightly red. A decent sized off white head sits atop. When held up to light you can see the slight cloudiness in the unfiltered beer. A nice look.

S - Lots of yeasty smell along with some fruit aromas that I can;t identify, other than a banana yeasty smell. Not bad.

T - Not doing it for me here. This one has a real sour taste on top of that bubblegum wheat flavor. A bit too sour for my liking.

M - Thin and light in the mouth.

D - I really don't like the flavor on this one. I assume maybe for fans of this taste it would be drinkable but I've had another Dunel Weizen of two that I didn;t mind. This one just doesn't seem drinkable to me at all.

2.55/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle from the winter seasonal pack.

Color is chunky mahogany. Some boiling lace dies quickly yet manages to lace the glass. Aromas are....sour. Not good. There's also some estery fruit notes. Flavor also is sour. Really off-putting. Sourness drowns out the bannana and dark fruit notes. "Earthy" flavors as well. Long-lasting sourness in the aftertaste. Downright thin and watery to boot. Pass.

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%

A- Pours a murky brown with touches of gold and amber. It's head is thick at first but fades quickly (could have been due to the cleanliness of my glass).

S- Notes of banana and spice with a touch of malty sweetness.

T- Not what I expected. Though the nose has fruity notes, the taste does not round off like a normal DW. It's almost a little bit smoky/salty rather than sweet. This sounds awful to say, but soggy burnt toast comes to mind. There are hints of sweetness and spice, but there is some overbearing taste which dominates this beer ... not in a good way.

MF- Nice carbonation, smooth with a creamy feel.

D- I'd have to agree with Jason A on this one ... don't drink it by itself. Unlike the German DWs, this one works better with food than on its own. I was surprised to see this labeled as a DW since it really doesn't compare too well to others that I've tried. Then again, what does compare/match a nice beer from Weihenstephan? A good attempt, but too watery/bitter for my taste.

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

This was a very strange and unique beer. It is worth a try simply for the sake that I have never had anything like it before. It may just be that I am not very familiar with the Dunkel style but it seemed to me like this was a cross between a wheat beer and a stout. Interesting. However, I don't think I need to get this again. It is extremely dark, basically black but oddly it is partially translucent. You can't see through it but a little bit of light does get through the otherwise opaque beer. Small head. Banana banana banana. Smell and taste I got banana. Then a bit of cloves and cinnamon, then more bananas. In the taste I got the same banana, cloves, cinnamon, and then a bit of banana bread. Some dark, sort of burnt, wheat flavor, a hint of charcoal and then a weird sweetness that may by likened to a fruity caramel. The mouthfeel was a medium weight with a partly full flavor and very crisp; yet it was also a bit empty in spots like the thinness you may typically find in a wheat beer. This is a very hard to describe beer. It was to extreme and bizarre to me, to be very drinkable. It was interesting but most of the way through the first one I was ready to move on to something else. If you are brave and want to try something new give this a try, but I would not recommend taking a case of this to you Macro-Beer drinking friends.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

First off let me say that this is not my favorite style, so I'm trying to keep my review positive and compared to others like it.

Appearance: Can't fault the beer here. Dark red, almost black, with just enough light shining through to show the color.

Smell: Yeasty with a strong smell of cloves.

Taste: Strong dry clove flavor, a little bit of banana, and nice dark malt flavors. There is a definite hop bitterness, but not much flavor.

Mouthfeel: Dry, but a nice body. Medium carbonation, pretty smoth over all.

Drinkability: I had to knock this for drinkability. I don't think I could finish more then one in a sitting. Hopefully I've been fair since I tend not to like the style.

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%

The tap version had an uninteresting head, thin with a nutty brown color. I thought the smell was a mix of sour apple, caramel, chocolate and wheaty cherries. Taste and mouthfeel where both uneventful. Heavy, rich chocolate with wheat overtones dominated and prevented any other flavors to permeate through. Overall I could do one and move on to a more flavorful winter draft.

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%

Happy to find this one when it Boston. It pours a muddled dark brown color with very sparse head and no activity on the carbonation. I'd like to see a better carbonation and head here. Nose is very roasty. I've been trying to place this aroma for a while now, and I'm convinced it is a type of wheat, torrified or roasted or something, but its not roasted barley. Its different. Flavor is not doing it. The roasted is there, but initially there is a sourness, almost like a soured milk. Not all that tasty. This fades on the finish, leaving a wheaty fullness on my pallate. I am not happy with the sourness. The feel is moderate with a very light carbonation. I'd like more carbonation and a bit more chewyness as well. Overall, I'm not as happy with this as I was hoping. The flavor really is hurt by the sour character. I'd not have this again, but I have more of it.

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: Nice ruby transparency. Expected a big head to rise easily but nothing much developed.

Smell: Fairly rich with grainy overtones. Some chocolate aromas and even alcohol can be detected.

Taste: A bit of a decline at this point but still good. There's some spiciness as you might expect, and all the basic elements of the style seem to be in place. The taste runs a bit shallow, however, with an offputting tang that is undesirable to say the least.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy but the head wouldn't develop so go figure. A little watery as well; not much to speak of.

Drinkability: I could actually make a session of these. It would never be my go to beer or one that I would seek out in a bar, but it's practical and doesn't get on your nerves any more over time than after your first sip.

Beef Notes: Pretty solid beer here. Being from Magic Hat, I'm not surprised, but I would like to see them go for a "wow" beer rather than another just good offering. Bottom line is I'll drink it happily but pass it up if there's Franziskaner or the like.

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this one while I was in Boston. Pours a very cloudy brown color with a small head that falls fast. Ew, something in the aroma just isn't up my alley. Has some roasted character and some wheatyness, but there is something in there that I don't like. Same goes for the flavor. Roasted and grainy, but there's a flavor I don't care for. No banana or clove hints in this one. The body is fine and the drinkability is ok, but this beer just isn't my favorite.

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

Brownish burgandy in color with a 1/2" head that quickly falls to a surface foam. Some spotty lacing develops. The nose picks up some roasted nuts and burnt butter. Flavor is of roasted malts, wheat, burnt nuts, hints of banana and molasses. It is also buttery and has a decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smoothat the start. Finish is dry and smooth, with the burnt tones lingering long on the tongue. Drinkability is average, as this dunkel weizen has just too much in the way of burnt tones.

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

My interest was piqued when i saw that this was a dark wheat beer as that was something I had never come across before, after meaning to pick up a six pack for a while I finally did on this rainy saturday night.

Upon initially pouring it into a glass it bubbled up with a medium sized head which quickly disapated. The beer caried a musty smell that strangely reminded me of a basement, and wasn't entirely unpleasent. The taste was strong and earthy. It had a much more organic flavor than dark beers that carry a chocolate or coffee flavor. The taste is much more grassy and earthy.

When viewing the beer one would think that it would feel incredibley thick in the mouth, like a stout, yet it is more like "wet noodle", very thin and watery, much like you would expect from a wheat.

Though it's high ABV may leave you laying on the floor this is a good beer for sitting around and drinking....not really sitting back and sipping

As far as magic hats seasonal beers go this one is no where near their HIPA from the summer, which was one of my favorite beers of the season.

As with many of their beers this also features a killer label graphic which is not present in the picture on this page.

Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) from Magic Hat Brewing Company