Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Batch 371 (Saint Goötz)Batch 371 (Saint Goötz)

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.90% ABV

Originally released as Batch 371, this was released again as Saint Goötz.

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 07-19-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) Alström Bros
karst

Missouri

On tap at Capital Ale House downtown Richmond. Beautiful pour

Following a pint of #9 from the tap - thought that Saint Goötz would be unique.
Found it a very likable Dunkel Weizen style which I am still learning and have limited contact with.

6 % abv higher gravity (1.062) Yeast is a German Weiss and provides a plesant banana nut bread aroma. Hopped with Tettnang with a low 20 IBSs provides a dry ending with some lasting clove. Caramel Wheat and Munich augment the main malted wheat for a medium body and nice deep brown. Suspect some chocolate malt although not listed by Magic Hat website.

Trying to swing the overhead halogen light to look at color. I find red glints before burning my fingers. Sitting in the booth across from the taps an attentive staff person brings me a glass of ice water without comment ( as if she has seen this happen before many time?)

brewed from a 14th century Germanic said to be inscribed onto an old challis.
Unique like no other - I have heard that is is similar to Heart of Darkness but never got to try it before its retirement.

So many beers so little time . . . Carpe Diem

03-30-2006 01:15:15 | More by karst
GCBrewingCo

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%

The beer poured into the glass lightly hazy deep amber brown with an off-white head that could hardly even emerge and then left before even attempting to lace the glass.

The aroma was wheat aroma with a distinct chocolate malt character. Also present was a burnt caramel aromatic and a smoky vibe.

The flavor was lightly fruity with a banana flavor and chocolate melded with wheat. A bit of the same burnt caramel and smoke was present and made the beer more interesting.

The finish was dry with a lasting graham flavor of that burnt caramel, but the aftertaste was not bad at all. The body was medium and the carbonation low. Not a bad beer, but nothing too exciting here.

12 ounce bottle.

03-25-2006 23:26:17 | More by GCBrewingCo
JMD71

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark caramel brown with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Little light penetrates this dark wheat ale. It is cloudy with visible sediment.

Smell: A bit of wet grain smell with hints of fermenting sour apple. Wheat really dominates the aroma with some yeasty overtones.

Taste: Strong wheat flavor hits the palate, along with heavy yeasty overtones. I liked the balance between the yeasty flavor & the wheat flavor, but it turned slightly sour in the finish which gave a slightly strange aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied. Medium level of carbonation makes it fairly refreshing.

Drinkability: I find this an enjoyable dunkel wiezen, but the sour aftertaste limits me to only one or so. The aftertaste is a bit overpowering in the second serving.

Comments: Dunkel wiezen being my favorite beer style, I am a bit picky. Saint Gootz was a nice dunkel wiezen, but not my favorite. The sour aftertaste is not as desirable as with others in this style. It has a good wheat flavor & body, but does not stand up as well versus some of its German counterparts.

03-21-2006 15:31:21 | More by JMD71
Todd

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

Deep, dark brown with a rich ruby red hue. Beige head is thick, tight and creamy with a trailing stick along the glass and good retention.

Roasted malts, fresh crack wheat, husky, toasty bread and chocolate in aroma. Faint earth / clay in the background.

Smooth mouthfeel, medium, even body. Creamy carbonation. Chocolatey / carob flavor that mingles in the moderately roasted character. Bready with toasted crusts. Weak coffee. Crisp and dry edge, and a well-balanced hop snap of bitterness. Herbal, pithy, grassy. Mild, but pleasing, sour/tangy note that melds well with the wheat flavors. Some herbal lingering in the finish along with faded wheat and hint of powdery spice and earth.

Probably Magic Hat's best attempt at a wheat ale.

03-18-2006 22:48:55 | More by Todd
jaluria

Connecticut

1.83/5  rDev -47.1%

Just a terrible, terrible beer than neither I nor my wife could drink. We had to pour about 1/2 into our sink because it was quite revolting.

Started off strong with a nice appearance; dark burgundy/brown in color with a mocha colored head and nice retention. Aromas of plums, alcohol, and grape juice. The taste was essentially that of prune juice with some plum flavors; and that is really not a good thing. Additional flavors of rotten fruit came out as well. Quite thin and juicy, in a bad way. The taste was just so bad, we couldn't believe what we were drinking.

03-17-2006 14:19:31 | More by jaluria
CRJMellor

Arkansas

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a very cloudy brown with some red/amber highlights with an enormously puffy light tan head after a vigorous pour.
Aroma of banana nut bread and with some spicy yeast and dark fruit notes.
Flavors of dark citrus and lightly spiced cloves dominate at first and then soem dark wheat bread characteristics take over. Doesn't really blend well together.
Mouthfeel is little past medium with some lingering fruity stickiness.
Drinkability is above average but something just doesn't seem to meld and combine well here, almost feels rushed and experimental in nature. Don't the really well-balanced taste test that I would expect from the style. Kind of disjointed flavors thrown around.

03-16-2006 22:00:54 | More by CRJMellor
EStreet20

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

A - Pours out the color of a Coke tinted slightly red. A decent sized off white head sits atop. When held up to light you can see the slight cloudiness in the unfiltered beer. A nice look.

S - Lots of yeasty smell along with some fruit aromas that I can;t identify, other than a banana yeasty smell. Not bad.

T - Not doing it for me here. This one has a real sour taste on top of that bubblegum wheat flavor. A bit too sour for my liking.

M - Thin and light in the mouth.

D - I really don't like the flavor on this one. I assume maybe for fans of this taste it would be drinkable but I've had another Dunel Weizen of two that I didn;t mind. This one just doesn't seem drinkable to me at all.

03-16-2006 02:31:07 | More by EStreet20
germaniac

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

Another Magic Hat brew from bkett01.

Nothing about Batch 371 on my bottle, just described as a "dark winter wheat" Seasonale.

Murky brown pour, with a smell like yeasty bananas, and a slight grainy sourness.

The malts are dark, and hints of cloves and bananas pull through nicely towards a sweet, thin finish.

May not be as good as some German imports, but at least an American brewery is making an attempt at this semi- obscure style.

03-11-2006 02:36:56 | More by germaniac
jetfanzee

3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance - Pours dark brown, almost to black, with decent head that fades quickly to almost nothing, minimal lacing.

Smell - Strong aroma of bananas and malt jump out of the glass. Strong nose, but not strong alcohol nose for ABV.

Taste - Sweetness hits you first, but the hoppy finish stops it from being too much to take.

Mouthfeel - A little thin, but the dryness of the hops stays with you for a bit longer than the other flavors.

Drinkability - Good for a change of pace for one, after that gets a bit overpowering.

Overall, not one of my faves but worth trying for a change of pace. Not the best offering from Magic Hat, but have you ever had a bad one from them?

03-04-2006 06:25:46 | More by jetfanzee
Higravity

1.6/5  rDev -53.8%

Apparently I am not the only one to think this beer is funked. Bought as a single in a mix sixer. Well it looks brown water with a whitish head little lacing. The smell was funky and notes of soured apple mash. It tasted like a belgian brown kind of except the sourness was sharper and there was no real meat, um I mean wheat to this. Thin body and an untimate drain cleaner. I remember liking the 371 when it was out, but this seems wildly different.

03-03-2006 19:06:43 | More by Higravity
OldFrothingSlosh

2.55/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz. bottle from the winter seasonal pack.

Color is chunky mahogany. Some boiling lace dies quickly yet manages to lace the glass. Aromas are....sour. Not good. There's also some estery fruit notes. Flavor also is sour. Really off-putting. Sourness drowns out the bannana and dark fruit notes. "Earthy" flavors as well. Long-lasting sourness in the aftertaste. Downright thin and watery to boot. Pass.

03-01-2006 23:33:09 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
semihobo

2.25/5  rDev -35%

As always, the Magic Hat packaging is eye-catching. The bottle cap reads, "Buy your Gal Growlers with her Flowers," okay :) 12 oz from a six-pack of Saint Gootz, best by end of March 2006.

Head dies fast, big bubbles, both the head and the beer look a lot like Coke. Dark brown, almost black, pretty thin.

Powerful smell. Mushy bananas and toffee, with wheat and cloves. All maltiness and very sweet, although picking up strong sour apples as it warms.

Taste is mostly sour and generically yeasty. A previous St. Gootz was also sour. Citrus fruits, cloves, coffee, quite an unusual mix of malts. Finish is out of control earthy yeast. Faint bananas. Complex? Yes. Good? No. Too sour and yeasty, needs more wheat malts.

Swirls very nicely in the mouth, the thin body compliments the orange-banana aspect very well. Sort of Coke-ish here as well.

At least the alcohol is masked well in the taste, and the thin body enables it to be put back quickly. However, the oddball, over the top pair of heavy, bland, yeast and sourness is simply not very good, and the finish is narsty. Maybe worth having one, since it is pretty unusual, but I won't be drinking it again. "Funky" best describes this beer, and not in the good way. I am a fan of Magic Hat, but this should go away ... I think I enjoyed it more as mystery #371, but I'm not sure.

02-28-2006 21:37:07 | More by semihobo
clvand0

Kentucky

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Bought this one while I was in Boston. Pours a very cloudy brown color with a small head that falls fast. Ew, something in the aroma just isn't up my alley. Has some roasted character and some wheatyness, but there is something in there that I don't like. Same goes for the flavor. Roasted and grainy, but there's a flavor I don't care for. No banana or clove hints in this one. The body is fine and the drinkability is ok, but this beer just isn't my favorite.

02-20-2006 16:37:16 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%

Happy to find this one when it Boston. It pours a muddled dark brown color with very sparse head and no activity on the carbonation. I'd like to see a better carbonation and head here. Nose is very roasty. I've been trying to place this aroma for a while now, and I'm convinced it is a type of wheat, torrified or roasted or something, but its not roasted barley. Its different. Flavor is not doing it. The roasted is there, but initially there is a sourness, almost like a soured milk. Not all that tasty. This fades on the finish, leaving a wheaty fullness on my pallate. I am not happy with the sourness. The feel is moderate with a very light carbonation. I'd like more carbonation and a bit more chewyness as well. Overall, I'm not as happy with this as I was hoping. The flavor really is hurt by the sour character. I'd not have this again, but I have more of it.

02-19-2006 02:04:40 | More by kmpitz2
santoslhalper

2.42/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearence: Pours a very attractive hazy dark reddish brown with a creamy, foamy beige head that leaves nice lacing, and has decent retention.

Smell: Fruits, oak, and yeast all combine into a complex, intruiging, but not 100% pleasin aroma. Some sulfery notes are welcome.

Taste and Mouthfeel: NIce wheat and yeast flavors mix with a horridly inappropriate chocolate/cocoa/coffee note. Blech!! I don't like this one bit, and normally I'm a fan of the style. Taste just unbalanced and gross. The mouthfeel is way too light and thin.

Drinkability and Overall: Magic Hat, you dissapointed me. Oh well, I'm glad I got to try it, although I'd probably pass it up if I saw it again. Cheers!!

02-17-2006 04:31:32 | More by santoslhalper
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

First off let me say that this is not my favorite style, so I'm trying to keep my review positive and compared to others like it.

Appearance: Can't fault the beer here. Dark red, almost black, with just enough light shining through to show the color.

Smell: Yeasty with a strong smell of cloves.

Taste: Strong dry clove flavor, a little bit of banana, and nice dark malt flavors. There is a definite hop bitterness, but not much flavor.

Mouthfeel: Dry, but a nice body. Medium carbonation, pretty smoth over all.

Drinkability: I had to knock this for drinkability. I don't think I could finish more then one in a sitting. Hopefully I've been fair since I tend not to like the style.

02-13-2006 03:18:23 | More by ericj551
abcsofbeer

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

Not sure if this is Batch 371 or not, but, it was purchased as a sixer from Trader Joes. There is an April freshness date notched into the label. I gave this one a very generous pour, almost too generous as it spilled over the top and left a huge two finger head. The head is tan in color and leaves nice thick lacing on the glass. The color is a cloudy, reddish brown.

The aroma is like ripe bananas, cherries, and bread (grainy). The taste is a sweet and sour flavor that is tangy and mildly bitter on the backend. There is a blandness in the taste too, but, not too bad. Overall, this beer is not bad for the style.

02-12-2006 23:14:56 | More by abcsofbeer
LPorter33

3.08/5  rDev -11%

I tried this back when it was Batch 371 and I gotta say as Saint Gootz, the experience has been vastly different.

Not much head at all. A murky dark brown, no lacing either. Smell is fairly similar to before. Cloves with some bananna. Taste is smokey and not as complex as I remember it. A bit sour. I can really taste the smoked flavors.This batch was much different than the earlier one I tried and for the worse. It's a little disturbing that a beer can change so much from batch to batch. Based on this sample, which had a drink by date of March 05 so it should have been fresh, I will not be trying Saint Gootz again which is a shame since I really enjoyed Batch 371.

02-12-2006 19:59:29 | More by LPorter33
tgbljb

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

poured a deep reddish-brown color with impressive tannish head, that proved to be long lasting that left nice lacing on the side of the glass as it slowly fell to a thin ring. Smell was very nice, with strong notes of over-ripe bananas. Taste was also very nice, with an intense sweeness mixed with more bananas. Some toastiness and caramel also present. Finishes very creamy, and the banana caress to the nose with each taste was extraordinary. A very different beer, and very enjoyable.

01-27-2006 01:47:02 | More by tgbljb
dippy

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%

Big head made some bold promises right off the bat. Deep brown in color with hints of red around the edges where the light shows through.

Have a stuffy nose but don't think it matters.

Slightly clovey but not as sophisticated as I would like. The keebler elves show more magic than the hat did with this beer.

I expected more.

01-23-2006 02:23:47 | More by dippy
Frozensoul327

4.2/5  rDev +21.4%

A solid Dunkel Weizen. Pours out to a dark chestnut brown color that appears a murky blood red when held to the light. Small head of foam calms to a thin layer of bubbles over the surface of the beer. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of caramel and toffee, with a light roasted malt character. Nice. Flavor was very enjoyable and quite complex; an array of flavors from dark fruits, sour cherry, roasted malt, coffee and fresh hops swirled around the palate. Mouthfeel was accentuated by the carbonation, adding a "kick" to the finish. Good drinkability.

01-16-2006 01:53:12 | More by Frozensoul327
DaggerEyes

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

My interest was piqued when i saw that this was a dark wheat beer as that was something I had never come across before, after meaning to pick up a six pack for a while I finally did on this rainy saturday night.

Upon initially pouring it into a glass it bubbled up with a medium sized head which quickly disapated. The beer caried a musty smell that strangely reminded me of a basement, and wasn't entirely unpleasent. The taste was strong and earthy. It had a much more organic flavor than dark beers that carry a chocolate or coffee flavor. The taste is much more grassy and earthy.

When viewing the beer one would think that it would feel incredibley thick in the mouth, like a stout, yet it is more like "wet noodle", very thin and watery, much like you would expect from a wheat.

Though it's high ABV may leave you laying on the floor this is a good beer for sitting around and drinking....not really sitting back and sipping

As far as magic hats seasonal beers go this one is no where near their HIPA from the summer, which was one of my favorite beers of the season.

As with many of their beers this also features a killer label graphic which is not present in the picture on this page.

01-15-2006 00:53:31 | More by DaggerEyes
deBeers

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

I thought this was somewhere between a porter and a stout. To find out this is a dark wheat beer is a surprise indeed. Labels aside, Magic Hat came close to something great yet did not attain this imho.

Pours black with a creamy snow-capped mountains one finger head. Tastes of bitter coffee and is dry. I don't remember much else. Would be good to pair with chocolate. My serving was a taster our of a wine glass (filled 3/4).

Worth a try but I feel I didn't get to really see what this beer is all about. A decent winter brew. Not sure what Saint Gootz allures too...

Cheers and this was drank on tap at the Fife n' Drum in Kent, CT.

01-14-2006 00:08:09 | More by deBeers
mmmbeer

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz., best by February notched on the back label. It pours into the weizen glass a ruddy brown - like leather - and it's topped with a 3 finger tan head that reduces to a half inch and leaves some lacing. It has an aroma of light banana, metal, grains, hints of clove, and some smoky/earthy character. The flavor is about the same with a light and tingly body. Overall pretty average for a wheat beer.

01-12-2006 04:11:27 | More by mmmbeer
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

A clean dark brown beer with big ruby highlights. Has a big foamy beige head, no lace. There is a strong overripe banana character that dominates the aroma. Hints of clove and sweet malt dance lightly in the background. The flavor has a earthy dark pumpernickle character with a hint of banana on the finish.

01-10-2006 23:13:44 | More by ybnorml