Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Batch 371 (Saint Goötz)Batch 371 (Saint Goötz)

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: weeare138 on 07-19-2005

Originally released as Batch 371, this was released again as Saint Goötz.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) Alström Bros
2.56/5  rDev -26%

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

A - Pours out the color of a Coke tinted slightly red. A decent sized off white head sits atop. When held up to light you can see the slight cloudiness in the unfiltered beer. A nice look.

S - Lots of yeasty smell along with some fruit aromas that I can;t identify, other than a banana yeasty smell. Not bad.

T - Not doing it for me here. This one has a real sour taste on top of that bubblegum wheat flavor. A bit too sour for my liking.

M - Thin and light in the mouth.

D - I really don't like the flavor on this one. I assume maybe for fans of this taste it would be drinkable but I've had another Dunel Weizen of two that I didn;t mind. This one just doesn't seem drinkable to me at all. (755 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

Another Magic Hat brew from bkett01.

Nothing about Batch 371 on my bottle, just described as a "dark winter wheat" Seasonale.

Murky brown pour, with a smell like yeasty bananas, and a slight grainy sourness.

The malts are dark, and hints of cloves and bananas pull through nicely towards a sweet, thin finish.

May not be as good as some German imports, but at least an American brewery is making an attempt at this semi- obscure style. (449 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours dark brown, almost to black, with decent head that fades quickly to almost nothing, minimal lacing.

Smell - Strong aroma of bananas and malt jump out of the glass. Strong nose, but not strong alcohol nose for ABV.

Taste - Sweetness hits you first, but the hoppy finish stops it from being too much to take.

Mouthfeel - A little thin, but the dryness of the hops stays with you for a bit longer than the other flavors.

Drinkability - Good for a change of pace for one, after that gets a bit overpowering.

Overall, not one of my faves but worth trying for a change of pace. Not the best offering from Magic Hat, but have you ever had a bad one from them? (688 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -52.9%

Apparently I am not the only one to think this beer is funked. Bought as a single in a mix sixer. Well it looks brown water with a whitish head little lacing. The smell was funky and notes of soured apple mash. It tasted like a belgian brown kind of except the sourness was sharper and there was no real meat, um I mean wheat to this. Thin body and an untimate drain cleaner. I remember liking the 371 when it was out, but this seems wildly different. (451 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle from the winter seasonal pack.

Color is chunky mahogany. Some boiling lace dies quickly yet manages to lace the glass. Aromas are....sour. Not good. There's also some estery fruit notes. Flavor also is sour. Really off-putting. Sourness drowns out the bannana and dark fruit notes. "Earthy" flavors as well. Long-lasting sourness in the aftertaste. Downright thin and watery to boot. Pass. (405 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -33.8%

As always, the Magic Hat packaging is eye-catching. The bottle cap reads, "Buy your Gal Growlers with her Flowers," okay :) 12 oz from a six-pack of Saint Gootz, best by end of March 2006.

Head dies fast, big bubbles, both the head and the beer look a lot like Coke. Dark brown, almost black, pretty thin.

Powerful smell. Mushy bananas and toffee, with wheat and cloves. All maltiness and very sweet, although picking up strong sour apples as it warms.

Taste is mostly sour and generically yeasty. A previous St. Gootz was also sour. Citrus fruits, cloves, coffee, quite an unusual mix of malts. Finish is out of control earthy yeast. Faint bananas. Complex? Yes. Good? No. Too sour and yeasty, needs more wheat malts.

Swirls very nicely in the mouth, the thin body compliments the orange-banana aspect very well. Sort of Coke-ish here as well.

At least the alcohol is masked well in the taste, and the thin body enables it to be put back quickly. However, the oddball, over the top pair of heavy, bland, yeast and sourness is simply not very good, and the finish is narsty. Maybe worth having one, since it is pretty unusual, but I won't be drinking it again. "Funky" best describes this beer, and not in the good way. I am a fan of Magic Hat, but this should go away ... I think I enjoyed it more as mystery #371, but I'm not sure. (1,348 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this one while I was in Boston. Pours a very cloudy brown color with a small head that falls fast. Ew, something in the aroma just isn't up my alley. Has some roasted character and some wheatyness, but there is something in there that I don't like. Same goes for the flavor. Roasted and grainy, but there's a flavor I don't care for. No banana or clove hints in this one. The body is fine and the drinkability is ok, but this beer just isn't my favorite. (461 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -14.2%

Happy to find this one when it Boston. It pours a muddled dark brown color with very sparse head and no activity on the carbonation. I'd like to see a better carbonation and head here. Nose is very roasty. I've been trying to place this aroma for a while now, and I'm convinced it is a type of wheat, torrified or roasted or something, but its not roasted barley. Its different. Flavor is not doing it. The roasted is there, but initially there is a sourness, almost like a soured milk. Not all that tasty. This fades on the finish, leaving a wheaty fullness on my pallate. I am not happy with the sourness. The feel is moderate with a very light carbonation. I'd like more carbonation and a bit more chewyness as well. Overall, I'm not as happy with this as I was hoping. The flavor really is hurt by the sour character. I'd not have this again, but I have more of it. (869 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -28%

Appearence: Pours a very attractive hazy dark reddish brown with a creamy, foamy beige head that leaves nice lacing, and has decent retention.

Smell: Fruits, oak, and yeast all combine into a complex, intruiging, but not 100% pleasin aroma. Some sulfery notes are welcome.

Taste and Mouthfeel: NIce wheat and yeast flavors mix with a horridly inappropriate chocolate/cocoa/coffee note. Blech!! I don't like this one bit, and normally I'm a fan of the style. Taste just unbalanced and gross. The mouthfeel is way too light and thin.

Drinkability and Overall: Magic Hat, you dissapointed me. Oh well, I'm glad I got to try it, although I'd probably pass it up if I saw it again. Cheers!! (694 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -17.1%

First off let me say that this is not my favorite style, so I'm trying to keep my review positive and compared to others like it.

Appearance: Can't fault the beer here. Dark red, almost black, with just enough light shining through to show the color.

Smell: Yeasty with a strong smell of cloves.

Taste: Strong dry clove flavor, a little bit of banana, and nice dark malt flavors. There is a definite hop bitterness, but not much flavor.

Mouthfeel: Dry, but a nice body. Medium carbonation, pretty smoth over all.

Drinkability: I had to knock this for drinkability. I don't think I could finish more then one in a sitting. Hopefully I've been fair since I tend not to like the style. (700 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Not sure if this is Batch 371 or not, but, it was purchased as a sixer from Trader Joes. There is an April freshness date notched into the label. I gave this one a very generous pour, almost too generous as it spilled over the top and left a huge two finger head. The head is tan in color and leaves nice thick lacing on the glass. The color is a cloudy, reddish brown.

The aroma is like ripe bananas, cherries, and bread (grainy). The taste is a sweet and sour flavor that is tangy and mildly bitter on the backend. There is a blandness in the taste too, but, not too bad. Overall, this beer is not bad for the style. (622 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

I tried this back when it was Batch 371 and I gotta say as Saint Gootz, the experience has been vastly different.

Not much head at all. A murky dark brown, no lacing either. Smell is fairly similar to before. Cloves with some bananna. Taste is smokey and not as complex as I remember it. A bit sour. I can really taste the smoked flavors.This batch was much different than the earlier one I tried and for the worse. It's a little disturbing that a beer can change so much from batch to batch. Based on this sample, which had a drink by date of March 05 so it should have been fresh, I will not be trying Saint Gootz again which is a shame since I really enjoyed Batch 371. (676 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

poured a deep reddish-brown color with impressive tannish head, that proved to be long lasting that left nice lacing on the side of the glass as it slowly fell to a thin ring. Smell was very nice, with strong notes of over-ripe bananas. Taste was also very nice, with an intense sweeness mixed with more bananas. Some toastiness and caramel also present. Finishes very creamy, and the banana caress to the nose with each taste was extraordinary. A very different beer, and very enjoyable. (488 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -35.8%

Big head made some bold promises right off the bat. Deep brown in color with hints of red around the edges where the light shows through.

Have a stuffy nose but don't think it matters.

Slightly clovey but not as sophisticated as I would like. The keebler elves show more magic than the hat did with this beer.

I expected more. (335 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +20.5%

A solid Dunkel Weizen. Pours out to a dark chestnut brown color that appears a murky blood red when held to the light. Small head of foam calms to a thin layer of bubbles over the surface of the beer. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of caramel and toffee, with a light roasted malt character. Nice. Flavor was very enjoyable and quite complex; an array of flavors from dark fruits, sour cherry, roasted malt, coffee and fresh hops swirled around the palate. Mouthfeel was accentuated by the carbonation, adding a "kick" to the finish. Good drinkability. (557 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

My interest was piqued when i saw that this was a dark wheat beer as that was something I had never come across before, after meaning to pick up a six pack for a while I finally did on this rainy saturday night.

Upon initially pouring it into a glass it bubbled up with a medium sized head which quickly disapated. The beer caried a musty smell that strangely reminded me of a basement, and wasn't entirely unpleasent. The taste was strong and earthy. It had a much more organic flavor than dark beers that carry a chocolate or coffee flavor. The taste is much more grassy and earthy.

When viewing the beer one would think that it would feel incredibley thick in the mouth, like a stout, yet it is more like "wet noodle", very thin and watery, much like you would expect from a wheat.

Though it's high ABV may leave you laying on the floor this is a good beer for sitting around and drinking....not really sitting back and sipping

As far as magic hats seasonal beers go this one is no where near their HIPA from the summer, which was one of my favorite beers of the season.

As with many of their beers this also features a killer label graphic which is not present in the picture on this page. (1,211 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

I thought this was somewhere between a porter and a stout. To find out this is a dark wheat beer is a surprise indeed. Labels aside, Magic Hat came close to something great yet did not attain this imho.

Pours black with a creamy snow-capped mountains one finger head. Tastes of bitter coffee and is dry. I don't remember much else. Would be good to pair with chocolate. My serving was a taster our of a wine glass (filled 3/4).

Worth a try but I feel I didn't get to really see what this beer is all about. A decent winter brew. Not sure what Saint Gootz allures too...

Cheers and this was drank on tap at the Fife n' Drum in Kent, CT. (646 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz., best by February notched on the back label. It pours into the weizen glass a ruddy brown - like leather - and it's topped with a 3 finger tan head that reduces to a half inch and leaves some lacing. It has an aroma of light banana, metal, grains, hints of clove, and some smoky/earthy character. The flavor is about the same with a light and tingly body. Overall pretty average for a wheat beer. (403 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

A clean dark brown beer with big ruby highlights. Has a big foamy beige head, no lace. There is a strong overripe banana character that dominates the aroma. Hints of clove and sweet malt dance lightly in the background. The flavor has a earthy dark pumpernickle character with a hint of banana on the finish. (308 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Beer poured a mahogany brown with 1 finger head that dissipated quickly. Smells of spices and banana. Definitely a wheat beer. When the beer is cold all the flavors are masked. As it warms the spices and fruity flavors come through a little more. With that said it didnt blow me away. Tasted like a pretty typical dark wheat. The mouthfeel was a little thin. Some wheats have a more creamy texture to them and I didnt find it in this example. Overall it was a pretty average, not bad, not great beer. One and done with this beer. (529 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -2.6%

A: pours a dark dark ruby red with a one finger off white foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly.

S: Lots of aromas in this one. First off, very spicy scent with sweet fruits, such as cranberries and bananas. I'm intrigued by this smell

T: Very wheaty, with a bit of very light hoppyness. Can taste the spice and fruits mentioned above.

M & D: Mouthfeel is smooth with a lingering of the spicyness. This is not a very drinkable beer. Maybe one or two, but after that, the taste most likely would wear me out. (521 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: Awesome looking bottle. Freshness date notched.

Appearance: Small tan head forms over a dark body. Slight amber hues around a deep drown, almost black. A bit clouded, can barely see through her. Head doesn't stay around long, and the lacing is almost non existant.

Smell: Notes of cranberries / banana (yes, just like that odd, but good, cranberry banana bread stuff), an herbal spice lingers. Deep smell of port, sweet fruits.

Taste: Spiced, clove taste surrounded by sweet fruits and a dark nutty roasted background. Mild oils, notes of earth laiden hops are quickly enveloped by an interesting malt backing.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation up front masked by a smoothness on the downing.

Drinkability and Notes: Magic Hat could be on the verge of something great with this brew. A stronger appearance and a bolder flavour would go a long way to making this a lovely brew. Still, an enjoyable one, and certainly a nice introduction to the style. A good brew for the winter. (1,002 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -17.1%

This was a very strange and unique beer. It is worth a try simply for the sake that I have never had anything like it before. It may just be that I am not very familiar with the Dunkel style but it seemed to me like this was a cross between a wheat beer and a stout. Interesting. However, I don't think I need to get this again. It is extremely dark, basically black but oddly it is partially translucent. You can't see through it but a little bit of light does get through the otherwise opaque beer. Small head. Banana banana banana. Smell and taste I got banana. Then a bit of cloves and cinnamon, then more bananas. In the taste I got the same banana, cloves, cinnamon, and then a bit of banana bread. Some dark, sort of burnt, wheat flavor, a hint of charcoal and then a weird sweetness that may by likened to a fruity caramel. The mouthfeel was a medium weight with a partly full flavor and very crisp; yet it was also a bit empty in spots like the thinness you may typically find in a wheat beer. This is a very hard to describe beer. It was to extreme and bizarre to me, to be very drinkable. It was interesting but most of the way through the first one I was ready to move on to something else. If you are brave and want to try something new give this a try, but I would not recommend taking a case of this to you Macro-Beer drinking friends.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,385 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a deep cloudy brown with a large off white that lingered for a while, but left almost no lacing (and what lacind it did leave slid down the glass quickly). The smell was fairly spicy with hints of dark fruit and bannana, a bit of earthy hops, yeast, and mainly sweet malt.

The taste was sweet and yeasty. A bit of caramel came out with some clove like tastes, and a fairly sweet finish. The alcohol became moderately noticeable in the finish, and added a bit of zing to it. A fairly rich taste.

It had a medium body with moderate carbonation that made it oddly refreshing depsite the strong yeasty flavor. Far more drinkable than I thought it would be. (666 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From the Night of the Living Dead 12 pack, bought around Hartford, CT.

Appearance: A nice ochre, one finger of mocha colored head with solid lacing.

Smell: Faintly Belgian, i.e. yeasty, with clove, spice, and some darker fruit. A bit sweet. I'm interested.

Taste: Following the smell, yeasty and wheaty, hearty and hale. Fades to a light hop/clove that lingers for quite a while. Thought I had some bananas and cherries in there ... Definitely dunkel malt, bit of sweet caramel too.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant. Substantive without being too much. A bit creamy. Carbonation is well balanced.

Drinkability: Taste is a good balance for drinking the whole way through, and possibly repetitively, though it's not terribly complex.

As a new offering, not bad, but worth killing Heart of Darkness (which it's replacing, I think) or Humble Patience? I'm not sure. It would have been a welcome compainion, perhaps. I'm still annoyed with MH. (943 characters)

Batch 371 (Saint Goötz) from Magic Hat Brewing Company