Feast Of Fools - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Feast Of FoolsFeast Of Fools

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

In pre-Christian times, the celebration of darkness and light was marked with great halls filled with smoke & mirrors. Guilded goblets brimming with seasonal brews were lifted to lips, speaking a language no longer known. The winter wind finds its way through heavy wood doors. The present connects the past through the brewer's art and a new beer is born: Feast of Fools... A perfect dessert beer brewed exclusively for the holiday season.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 05-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Feast Of Fools Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Growler. Poured a pretty dark black, head takes time to develop and does not last long. Smells of raspberries and cherry cordials. More like dark chocolate covered cherries than raspberries. Tastes like this as well. This is a very understated stout. It does a good job of not getting in its own way. The flavors don't overwhelm you but are consistent. Very smooth and a bit thin for a fruit stout. Drinkable because it is not overly sweet. Liked this beer a lot.

gskitt, Jan 15, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Well it was pretty black with tinges of red, not a lot of head or lacing but it was ok to look at.

Smell/Taste: very nice. Definitely the fruity raspberry aroma and flavors dominate, but typical stout qualities peek through as well, with chocolate and caramel malts, maybe a touch of coffee.

Feels a little thin for a stout. Carbonation was low but not absent. Good sweetness that lingers and a friendly raspberry afterglow.

Could have used a little more CO2 but that might have been due to growler transport. If I have this again and notice it's more carbonated I will upgrade my review a little on mouthfeel and/or appearance.

As far as stouts go, this one is representative of what I like. It's smooth, very flavorful, yet mild and not at all overpowering. An overall delicious beer that I'd like to have more of in the future.

AlCaponeJunior, Dec 28, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Went to the brewery in Burlington, VT and had a sample of this. Then had three more to make sure that I liked it the second, third, and fourth time just as much as the first ;)

A- based on the little 2oz sample it had a nice, thin head that was brown with a hint of red in it. Body was one shade away from black

S- had a very sweet scent consisting majorly of raspberries with a hint of chocolate.

T- initially I was hit with the raspberry which was very nice and fresh. Then the sweet taste of chocolate and coffee comes soon after and gives a nice aftertaste.

M- had a little carbonation but not too little.

D- although it was a little heavy, I could definitely drink a few of these before feeling full. I like sweet stouts very much so this beer is right up my alley.

Qbrew49, Dec 28, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Had the 2009 Raspberry Stout, poured into a snifter.

Beer poured dark in color with decent head.

Nice nose of raspberries and coffee

Taste was similar to the nose, but not crazy over pouring with the raspberry's leaving a pleasant coffee bitterness on the palate with a hint of fruit sweetness.

I didn't have super high hopes about this beer but feel that it was a very solid drink. Not sure how it would age, as the label says enjoy within 4 mths of release. Which would be right about now.

DosBeerigos, Apr 05, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -50.3%

Thanks to Rhinos00 for splitting this with me and pecorasc.

Poured into a wine glass. Dark black with a finger width of dark tan head that disappears almost instantly.

Smells of chocolate covered strawberries and raspberries. The fruit smell overpowers the malt aroma.

Taste- First impression it tastes like strawberry 7up that has been sitting out for 2 days. On the back end, I get very little malty and chocolate flavors. This beer is almost undrinkable. it tastes like a poorly crafted stout that had artificial raspberry flavoring added to it.

Although this beer tastes like flat soda, there is actually a lot of carbonation. Very thin body.

Drinkability? Absolutely not. I didnt even finish my glass- drain pour. If I received this bottle as a gift, it would be regifted.

boothbeer, Jan 08, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

Large deceiving dark green frosted bottle that makes the bottle look solid black. Corked and caged. Poured three ways into wine glasses and shared with Rhinos00 and Boothbeer. Thanks.

A- After a few minute struggle with the cork, vigorously poured, showing a dark tan colored head. Black with brown edges when held to light. A massive amount of bubbles popping and bursting on surface of head until all is gone but the edges.

S- Raspberry domination! Certainly not multi-dimensional, showing only a little roasted character in the background.

T- Big delay between the time I poured the beer into my mouth and the time I detected any noticeable flavors. Raspberries immediately upon swallowing, followed by an after taste of raspberries and a slight roast coffee flavor. The two dimensions of this beer do not work very well together. I should note, that there are NO unintended off-flavors in this beer, it is just lacking. I think if this stout were standing alone it may have serious deficiencies.

M- The carbonation played strange tricks on me. On the way in to my head-hole, there is no sign of carbonation. Is this flat? Then when swallowed, it shows some glimmer, but its too late.
Thin, even for a 5% stout.

D- This is obviously designed to be consumed at Mach 1 Guinness speeds. However, the lack of body and desirable flavors leaves me not asking for more.

Pecorasc, Jan 08, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to Mark for sending this one my way. Split three ways with pecorasc and boothbeer. Poured from 750mL bottle into a wine glass.

A- Pours a dark brown with reddish hues towards the edges of the glass. Produced a minimal amount of head with an ever so faint ring.

S- Loads of raspberries with a subtle, chocolate malt background. A bit of charred character along with a touch of cocoa.

T- Oh man, based on the smell this had potential. Everything I smelled, you can just throw it out the window. Upfront it tasted like flat, raspberry soda. The stout flavor came in half way through offering a charred, powder like character that completely clashed with the flavors. The end had a very unpleasant raspberry finish...almost like flavored nutrasweet.

M- Extremely thin, too carbonated. Almost felt like I was drinking a soda.

D- I'm glad I split this three ways, let's just keep it to that.

Overall, I think the raspberry part of this beer is not to blame. On the other hand, the base beer (the stout) is very poor. This beer just didn't work, no way around it.

rhinos00, Jan 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had a small sample @ Coasters during the Magic Hat night.
Pours an opaque black with hints of ruby on the edges. Really not too much head. It starts out as fizzy, big bubbles and then settles down into a thin layer.
The smell really is incredible. A mix of cocoa, toffee and raspberries. The taste is the same, but the raspberries take a back seat.
A super nice beer. It reminds me of a low ABV and sessionable version of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock. Good job!

DaveFL1976, Jan 08, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Thanks to edbeer and njdhopgrower for sharing. 750ml bottle served in my Old Stock snifter. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, this bottle was a bitch to open. Poured two shades shy of black with some ruby highlights around the edges. No head on this one. Lots of raspberry in the nose, almost syrupy. Raspberries are all in the nose - this beer is actually fairly watery with much less raspberry coming out than initially indicated, and a little bit of dark malt to round it all out. Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a lackluster carbonation. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while, but I have to say that it was fairly disappointing - another swing and a miss for Magic Hat.

Jwale73, Dec 06, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

750ml corked bottle poured into a snifter - this cork was a pain in the ass to get off!

Pours almost black with a slight ruby and no head at all. Nose is amazing with tons of raspberry and nice malt.

Wow. Best. Magic. Had. Ever. Very smooth and sweet, super drinkable. Really light and not too malty so it's real accessible to non-craft drinkers but still very well balanced and nice.

kingcrowing, Dec 05, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to stowehop for a share.

Nice bottle, deep black color, a little thin on the head.

The aroma was pure raspberry and lots of it.

The taste was also heavy on raspberry, a little too much so. I had trouble distinguishing an other flavors as the raspberry was way to present.

The mouth feel also came up short. With the this much fruit I was expecting more body for this style of beer.

I found it very drinkable, even if I don't want to drink much of it.

youbrewidrink, Nov 30, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a beautiful bottle, the beer is black with a ruby tint. The one finger head recedes quickly and leaves little lacing. Aromas of cranberries, raspberries, chocolate, and blackberry are present. The aroma is slightly tart. The taste is rich chocolate, roasted malt, and light fruits. Cranberry is the most noticeable fruit, but raspberry and blackberry are present. Feast of Fools is sweet with a low level of bitterness. Medium bodied with low carbonation.

HopHead84, Jan 14, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Got a chance to finally put my growler to use and had it filled (as a gift!) with this one at the brewery- big shout out to Krissy Leonard! Into my glass this beer was a damn-near-black color with a one-finger tan head. The retention was so-so and the lacing weak. The aroma was very appealing, a deep roasted malt and coffee/chocolate blend of traditional stout smells punctuated by ripe raspberries. Sweet and dark like a fine truffle. The flavors were equally impressive. It started with a sweet note of natural raspberry flavor (no artificial candy-like qualities here) that then became roasted malt, toasted malt and chocolate malt. The chocolate was rich and dark with coffee and wood smoke notes behind it. The finish was long and slightly bitter in a pleasing way that helped reel in the otherwise big flavors. The body was full, the carbonation medium/low and the mouthfeel smooth. A great example of a stout, a great example of a fruit beer done with finesse and the best beer Magic Hat has brewed, period.

thekevlarkid, Jan 14, 2009

I had a chance to sample this beer recently by chatting with a magic hat rep. The beer was poured from a corked champagne-like bottle. Poured almost black with a roughly 3/4" head.

The smell was delicious. A mix of fruit and chocolate with a noticeable raspberry aroma.

Taste was also very good. Subtle chocolate flavors present, but the raspberry seemed to be the predominant flavor. Very flavorful overall, but also pretty sweet. This would make for a great dessert beer, but would probably be a little sweet as an everyday drink. Also, it was surprising that this is 7.5% abv, as the alcohol did not seem noticeable in the taste.

Mouthfeel was the most surprising to me, as it seemed very light for a stout. I would not have classified it as a stout if I didn't know beforehand. It certainly wasn't bad, just not characteristic for the style.

Overall, I thought this was a very tasty beer and certainly wouldn't mind to have a bottle for a special occasion. I was glad I got a chance to try it, since I've never seen it on sale anywhere.

drocpsu, Dec 29, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

Original review:

OK magic hat needs to knock it off with these damn corks. Thick raspberry choclate stout with tons of flavor and huge body. Too much head and tastes to much like fruits other than raspeberry. An awesome and drinkable beer! Can't wait for the '05-'06 version!

A year later this beer became a huge and delicious champion of Raspberry Stout. Not many stouts are as delicious this one. I've been having trouble finding more.

Pours a nice thick black color with a thin ring of a head.

Smells of raspberry with a slight hint of chocolate.

Large taste of raspberry with a smooth creaminess that reminds me of a milk stout.

Way to smooth. Magic Hat ought to stop handing these out as gifts to retailers and start selling these to the public again. This is one hell of a humdinger!

RixBeer, Dec 05, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

750ml bottle, poured into a snifter. Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this.

A: Pours nearly pitch black, some ruby tinting on the edges and on the bottom, average viscosity. Large light mocha head forms and holds pretty decent. Not much lacing.

S: Nice sweet raspberry aroma. Smells like raspberry soda.

T/M: Light roasted malts with a bit of dryness. Raspberry mixes well with the stout qualities. Tartness is light but still there. Other than the lightly roasted malts and raspberry, there's not much else. Maybe a hint of chocolate or light coffee would compliment it a bit better. Body is rather light, even for a single stout. Carbonation is lively and holds up the entire time.

D: Pretty easy to drink and definitely interesting. The 7.5% ABV isn't noticeable.

pwoods, Sep 11, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

Presented in a very unique, black champagne bottle. Love the look of this bottle... Shared this bastard with pwoods.

A: Popped the cage and cork after sitting in my fridge for about 30 minutes. Pours a clear dark caramel and rests in the glass a super, dark mahogany. Massive head in my tulip glass that hangs around for a good while.

S: Sweet, caramelized malts with a unique, sour fruitiness, almost vinegar-like... Smells inviting overall. Rather light in the nose, not a great deal going on to me...

T: Heavily carbonated with big suds in my mouth as I drink. Flavors over caramel, and tart berry sweetness with a trailing sour (almost funky) vinegar finished.

M: Very light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, very happy I had the opportunity to try this unique beer. This bottle may have been old, but I wasn't very impressed (high carbonation and traces of vinegar). Would I jump for it again? Maybe...

Definitely one of the better offerings from Magic Hat.

beachbum1975, Sep 11, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14%

Split with BA rbuckstar after I shared a bottle. Poured from the (tough to open) bottle into 22oz snifters.

A - Dark brown, not fully opaque. Pours with a thin, tan head.

S - Overwhelmed by raspberries. Followed with notes of sweet chocolate and roasted grains.

T - Raspberries are still strong, but a little more balanced than in the aroma. Dark chocolate and coffee notes follow.

M - Lively on the tongue, just a little syrupy.

D - No complaints here, my glass was empty too quickly.

tprokop7, Jul 09, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

I got this 750ml champagne bottle for Christmas last year, but I think it is actually a few years old. The date was missing. Anyways, I poured this into a red wine glass, expecting a big bouquet.

A: This raspberry stout poured a dark reddish black. With a vigorous pour it developed a thin, but dense, head, which stayed around for quite a while.

S: I was right about the big bouquet. It has a delicious smell that is a combination of raspberries and chocolate and, I think, cinnamon! There is a strong sweet malty character, which compliments the raspberries very nicely.

T: The taste was a bit of a shock after such a sweet smell. Immediately my mouth was puckering from the tartness. Okay, not literally, but this beer is definitely tart! I attribute that to the raspberries. The chocolate was pronounced, and it had a somewhat buttery taste. Overall, the taste was not as sweet as I had expected. Once my mouth got used to the flavor after the first few sips, I really started to admire the decision to avoid over sweetening this brew.

M: I was disappointed by the mouthfeel however. It had a watery consistency and it just felt light in the mouth. I wanted something thicker and more chewy.

D: I wanted more, so that is a good thing. The ABV which is listed on BA as 7.5% did not do much harm and I could have indulged in another bottle certainly. Overall, this beer was a great one to split with a friend.

Update 6/1/08: I tried another bottle tonight and was surprised at how different this experience was from the first. Everything that I wrote about the taste being real tart and the mouthfeel being watery did not hold sway tonight. This bottle was not overly sweet, but sweet enough to compliment the raspberry taste well. Also, there was a chewier body to this beer. It really felt like a stout should. The other bottle may have been sitting around for too long...that is how I explain the difference between the two.

MusicaleMike, May 05, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Thanks to littlebreeze for this trade.

Drank some of this at the Port 2nd Anniversary pre-party tasting.

Poured pretty dark with a nice half inch of foam. The aroma was pretty sweet with raspberry juice and some chocolate malts. The taste however was very dissapointing with barely any fruit flavors, at least not as intense as the aroma, and some "flat soda" qualities. I did detect a bit of raspberries and bitter chocolate but it just didn't work well. The mouth-feel was quite thin for this type of beer and really carbonated. That said, I will have to give this a low score on drinkability too since I had trouble finishing the sample I poured for myself.

seaoflament, May 04, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

The 750ml corked champagne bottle is a nice touch. If you don't know this beer it a stout brewed with raspberries. A couple of shades away from pitch black. The head forms and dissipates quickly though there is still a healthy pasty tan lace that hangs around. Both tartness and a little sweetness from the raspberries bring a faint cordial aroma with hints of roasted grain in the back. Medium sized body with a silky smoothness. Nice tartness upfront from the raspberries then some stout like characteristics come through ... mild roasted grain and faded charcoal. Hop bitterness just helps to balance and the palate is quite clean from start to finish.

Very drinkable and the fruit is always a good nudge to introduce new beer drinkers into the world of beer. I guess putting this beer is six-packs would take away from the charm a little bit but I would not mind.

Jason, Apr 05, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

25 ounce corked bottled wrapped in black foil received in a trade with johnnnniee, thanks for giving the chance to try this holiday stout, poured into my Russian River pint glass last night

A-Black color with minimal light shining through and some super dark brown highlights, big one inch foamy tan head that left clouds of retention, some nice lacing at the beginning

S-Faint raspberry aroma, roasted malt, some light coffee, dark chocolate aromas, also some vanilla, and weak hoppiness later on

T-Tasted like a Guinness with some raspberry puree, not much of a fruity flavor, dryness dominated the flavor with roasted marley and malt, creamy at first then got flat rather quickly, light bitterness in the finish, smelled like there was more hops than there really was, tasted better cold, could have used more fruity flavors like advertised, like nothing I have had before

M-Lightly sweet and dry mouthfeel, thin to medium body, high levels of carbonation, taste lingered for a minute or so, expected to be more aggressive

D-Could not finish this bottle by myself, barely got through a pint, one dimensional, heavy as well, ABV is average around seven percent, not too smooth

Had to try this after hearing it was a raspberry stout, would be a nice treat once and a while but I do not need to have it again any time soon, cannot wait to try Thumbsucker from Magic Hat, unique but not great, would try another vintage down the road, recommended if curious like I was

Floydster, Feb 26, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Very nice looking bottle. Cork was very hard to remove from the bottle. Smell is faint raspberry, and a little black patent malt. Taste is mostly raspberry. However, this is a fizzy, highly carbonated, raspberry stout. Very thin and watery on the mouthfeel. I love raspberries, but the underlying stout here needs a lot of help.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 23, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Looks very nice in the glass. Dark black body with decent head, the usual for a Imperial Stout. The aroma is like chocolate covered raspberries. The raspberries in the flavor smell a bit artificial though. They do provide a bit of tartness in the back of the palate though. There is a bit of roastiness in there also but the raspberries are a bit overpowering. Body is decently heavy but the raspberries are ultimately a bit too artificial tasting.

drseamus, Feb 05, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

pours black in color with a medium tan two finger head with the consistency of shaving cream leaving thick rings of lace. nice blend of raspberry, chocolate in the nose. taste silky smooth like fine raspberry chocolate candy mixed with roasted malt. full bodied mouthfeel, carbonation is weak but seems match this beer very well. i will definitely be looking to buy more of this beer.

billybob, Jan 21, 2008