Follow our progress ...

Circus BoyCircus Boy

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Unfiltered and unfettered, Circus Boy is a unique and refreshing American-style Hefeweizen. Is he a who? Or a what? Or perhaps some of both? Be amazed by the flavorful haze of this wonderful wheat beer.

Added by Jason on 02-03-2006

Reviews: 657 | Ratings: 1,649
Reviews by harveystarr:
3.58/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Although I'm a huge hefe guy, I have to admit, I was a bit let down by Circus Boy. While it looked beautiful (most cloudy beer does to me), smelled crisp, fruity and refreshing, what wasn't up to snuff was the mouthfell. It was a crisp, almost sharp feel with too much carbonation.

Granted, I would have no problem if someone offered me one in the future, it wasn't that bad of an experience. It tasted nice, with everything that should be present in a hefe. But I just couldn't get by the sharp carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a a cloudy cross of lemonade and iced tea with a thinner white head that had no lasting power,at first the aromas struck me as unappetizing but after a minute it was better had like a wet grain element but the lemon and slight cloviness showed up after a minute.Wheat malt flavors are large here and toasted cereal grain with the lemon and clove taking a backseat although noticable mainly in the finish.You know its not half bad I am not a huge fan of American wheat ales but this has character a little rough around the edges but its worthy of having a few on warm spring day I think.

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

Dirty wheat with a muddy ivory and very clingy head fills my weizen glass. Very cloudy. Sweet malt aroma, some spice, mild citrus. Flavor is bland, harsh lemony yeast. Very poor. I found very little substance or character in this beer at all. Mouthfeel is chalky, medium bodied, highly carbonated, and grainy. Very disappointing and hardly drinkable.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Straw color towards gold. Nice head, but recedes quickly which I am not used to in comparison to its European counterparts. Little carbonation evident.

Aroma: Bubblegum, fruits & candy. Some flowery scents but little in the way or traditional wheat aromas.

Taste: Very flowery! Reminiscent of violets. Perfumy, with some lemony hints. No traditional similarities to hefe's that I can find.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied & highly carbonated although not apparent. Smooth, crisp & clean on the palette.

Drinkability: Easy drinking. Refreshing although the perfumy flavor detracts from its overall attractiveness.

Comments: This was a bit out of the rnage of an American wheat from my point of view. The flowery, perfumy flavor made it a kind of anomaly in comparison. I would drink again if in a mix 12-pack, but wouldn't buy on its own merits.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

3.25/5  rDev -5%

The label says "unfiltered and unfettered". The unfiltered part I get, but I'm not sure about the unfettered part. The beer was a hazy yellow with a fairly small head that lingered. It had a sweet, grainy aroma. Taste-wise, it was mostly sweet, with a slight citrus flavor. Nothing too special. The bottles I had left a sour taste in my mouth, so mouthfeel was average. An OK , but not great, beer.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev +7%

Circus Boy has a cloudy light golden color with a thin head that fades out to nothing. Its aroma is packed with wheat malts and has a pleasing citrus character. On the tongue you get lots of tasty wheat malts, neutral earthy yeast and a big shot of sweet, almost soapy, lemon flavor. The palate has a nice medium body and soft carbonation, giving it a fairly thick and smooth mouth feel. Overall as part of a mix pack I like it but I wouldn't look for it buy itself.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearence - Clear, not traditional Hefeweizen.
Pour - thick head, quickly fades.
Flavor - Dominating lemon flavor.
Drinkablility - very easy.

Summary: I would buy his beer again but not if looking for a hefeweizen. Lookikng forward to other beers from Magic Hat.

2.76/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Did not like this. Kinda licoricey like an Allagash, which I thoroughly dislike.

2.98/5  rDev -12.9%

I must first note that I'm not a fan of wheats and this beer is very wheaty that said. An overwhelming wheat smell with a thick white head and cloudy pale yellow color. It has slightly spiciness that's not overwhelming. The beer starts sweet with a lot of carbonation and sweetness, and finishes spicy.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%