Circus Boy - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Circus BoyCircus Boy

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

Unfiltered and unfettered, Circus Boy is a unique and refreshing American-style Hefeweizen. Is he a who? Or a what? Or perhaps some of both? Be amazed by the flavorful haze of this wonderful wheat beer.

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-22-2006)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Circus Boy Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1376-1400 | 1401-1425 | 1426-1450  | next › last »
TrickKnee

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

I enjoy hefeweizens, so i trully enjoyed this beer. As first taste I thought it tasted familar from a Magic hat mystery beer from last year. The rep said i was right that 370 was the basis for this recipe. If you liked 370 then i would definetly suggest you give this a try. Unlike many hefeweizens you dont need the lemon though. it already has enough lemon in it to make it very drinkable. I think it will be a good summer beer and will be competing with my UFO drinking.

03-28-2006 17:15:42 | More by TrickKnee
BlueHammer

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

I enjoy hefeweizens - they are probably among my favorite types of beer. As hefeweizens go, I thought this one was commendable! I've been looking forward to Joe's Garage as soon as the people at the brewery mentioned Batch 373 was their mystery beer in their spring mix! But instead of heading for one I've already had, I went for something I hadn't tried yet - hence, Circus Boy.

Circus Boy poured a golden color that was NOT transparent. It smelled like a typical hefeweizen - that citrusy aroma. The head was initially thick and took a few minutes to disappear. The head left some decent lacing, as well.

The taste was also citrusy. It was a very crisp taste. It left something of a carbonated feeling in your mouth, even after you swallowed it. It goes down smoothly. Very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the other two in the box!

03-27-2006 21:08:02 | More by BlueHammer
PSUDREW

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

I kinnda liked this brew, but could do with out the extra yeast. Yes, I know it is unfiltered, but, (and maybe this is just my bad luck) I am tired of the massice yeast cakes at the bottom of my Magic Hat bottles. A bit off topic, addmitedly, but this just seems like a trend from Magic hat.

Interesting nose. Spicy, grassy, can detect the banna and clove already. Semi bread like as well

Taste was...eh. Not bad, but not impressive. Malty, a slight peppery spice, and hints of banna, but somewhat muddled and not overly impressive. I as expecting more, but this circus was just a side show.

03-26-2006 05:23:37 | More by PSUDREW
arguemaniac

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Though I didn’t dislike this one, I wasn’t crazy about it either, but then again I guess pale wheat ales just aren’t my thing. While it is quite drinkable and refreshing with a fairly crisp hop bite as well as some pleasant hints of clove and hay, it’s also just a tad bit watery with a flavor that doesn’t really satisfy. So, although I had no problem finishing off the three bottles of this that came in the Joe’s Garage variety 12-pack, I wouldn’t buy a six-pack of it. I would recommend this one only to those who really dig pale wheat ales.

03-23-2006 23:25:41 | More by arguemaniac
Naes

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

This hefeweizen pours a very pale golden color with a two finger white head that laces and retains well.
The aroma is faint, but has a slight yeast sent.
The flavor is yeasty and has a surprisingly hopy finish.
Mouth feel is light bodied and actively carbonated.

03-20-2006 01:53:37 | More by Naes
jmz62565

3.73/5  rDev +10%

This pours a cloudy yellow orange with a large foamy white head. The smell has a earthy aroma to it along with lemon and a nuttyness to it. The taste is very lemony with alot of carbonation. The aftertaste has a nuttyness with some carmel,very refreshing. The m/f is light and well balanced. This is a good brew and would have this again.Good job Magic Hat.

03-17-2006 23:13:56 | More by jmz62565
ABV

Excellent for what it is -- a gateway/session beer. I generally like extreme beers with huge hops, but now and then crave a nice refreshing hefeweizen, and Circus Boy fits the bill. (Almost a pun there.) Creamy mouthfeel, taste is lemony with a touch of apricot. Toned down but not as pallid as many American wheats. A good companion to Magic Hat's terrific flagship brew Number 9. Extremely drinkable. Bizarro (and appealing) name and label.

03-14-2006 08:37:36 | More by ABV
Billolick

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

12 ouncer from the Joe's Garage box offering. label provides 'best to drink before dating" Pours cloudy, dull light orange, with a white head, lots of frothy lacing. Sour, soapy nose. This is a mish mosh of a wheat beer, some bananas, ginger, slight sourness picked up. Mouthfeel is a bit too thin and the flavors dont really come together. Not MH's best effort. C'mon MH, this is a crowd pleasing style, but this effort doesn't seem to have hit the mark.

03-13-2006 22:47:09 | More by Billolick
tgbljb

Poured a dirty peach color with attractive white puffy hat. Nice lacing on the side of the glass. Smell is yeasty, spicy, and somewhat citrusy. Taste brings out the wheat, but very little spiciness, but lots of oranges and lemon. There seems to a strong tang to the taste. I'm not sure if its from the hops but I am enjoying it more and more with each taste. Finish is pleasant and loaded with more citrus, and what I can best describe as a "ginger ale" feeling in the back of the mouth?? This is a good beer. Not quite what I was expecting, but I did enjoy it. Thanks to phatz for the trade.

03-12-2006 00:46:16 | More by tgbljb
froggyfrog

2.53/5  rDev -25.4%

Magic Hat calls this a Hefeweizen though it is currently listed here as an American Pale Wheat Ale. This is from a fresh bottle marked drink by end of May served in a tall Weizen glass (at the beginning of March).

A: Translucent yellow-gold and moderately carbonated with white chunks of yeast in the mix.

S: Yeast dominates the nose. Also evident is a very mild spiciness and golden wheat.

T: Mostly dried wheat. Very mild fruity esters. If there are any monkeys in this circus they are likely pissed at the lack of banana flavors in this beer. Also no discernible clove-type spices. There is however a quite unpleasant phenolic type flavor that I can only describe as tasting like glass.

M: This beer exhibits an acidic tingling burn on the tongue.

D: It's light and fresh so it would be easy and enjoyable to drink if it wasn't for the fact that it doesn't taste very good.

Overall an unexciting beer from the boys in Vermont.

03-11-2006 03:44:02 | More by froggyfrog
kbnooshay

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

a- This poured a decent orange dirty brown color that was very hazy and had small peieces of shit floating around in it(and I thought I poured it carefully). The head was white and very short lived.

s- This is really lemony and yeasty. Some spice is in there too. At first whiff i swore i smelled some skunk but that makes no sense. Now i love citric smells and yeast but this leaves much to be desired in the nose department.

t- I unfortunately did not pick up any banana in here and i love bananas in my wheat beers. All i got was loads of ass tasting harsh grainy lemon flavors. I just don't understand this, I usually love the style. I usually love magic hat.

mf/d- Very carbonated. The feel is slick and wet but not to heavy. This is not very drinkable, and a weak attempt at the style. I know they can do better, and dumping in a shitload of lemons doesn't do it from me.

03-10-2006 23:18:02 | More by kbnooshay
tmd44

1.55/5  rDev -54.3%

magic hat is one of the greatest brewing companies known to the beer loving man. i have tasted many a good magic hat in my day. also, i am quite a fan of the hefeweizen style beer. i had this from the joe's garage variety pack( WOOP WOOP TO MY PEOPLE"S!), the appearance was amazing, the smell was quite deceiving, the taste remind me of death, the mouthfeel was terrible, the drinkability...there is no drinkability..it is non existent...i recommend all true magic hat drinkers to never touch this beer. it is absolutely horrendous. the worst magic hat on the market. do yourself a favor and drink a natural light before you drink this. unless you like chewing on salted rubber...no offense to magic hat. kudo's to an excellent brewing company. however, take the rest of your circus boy and pour it down the toilet drain.
from the 1810 crew...

03-09-2006 04:06:48 | More by tmd44
tempest

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Golden yellow, barely hazy. Nice white head though. Smells of lemon and with a little yeast and sour wheat. Taste is pleasant but lackluster, there are hops somewhere in there, some sweet wheat malts, some more sourness and citrus. Easy drinking, but not that enticing to have many more. Its a pretty pale wheat beer, something for the uninitiated maybe.

02-27-2006 22:38:41 | More by tempest
UnionMade

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

Btand new Circus Boy bottle as part of the Joe's Garage mix pack.
Clouded gold, fat white frothy head. Lemony aroma, with hints of sourish wheat and banana. Some clove. Lemony wheat flavor right up front. The lemon seems kind of artificial, like it doesn't belong in the flavor profile. If this is the Batch 370, I liked it much better in it's previous incarnation, a much more authentic bavarian feel. Dryish and powdery mouthfeel, a sparkling carbonation keeps things lively. Seems like there's fairly strong citrusy hops, which feels out of place with this beer. Then again, the citrus feels like more the product of one of those lemon shaped lemon juice bottles than hops or actual lemon. Kinda wierd. It is refreshing, and satisfies my desire for a beer, but I'd be happier with something else. Not quite what I want for late winter.

02-26-2006 07:37:14 | More by UnionMade
bkett01

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly cloudy copper yellow color with a solid inch head which quickly receded. Average carbonation, with nothing out of the ordinary to note appearance wise. Has a sweet aroma and lemon-citrus taste that really stands out. Lively taste on the tongue from the carbonation with a rather watery mouthfeel. Bottle advertises "unfiltered and unfettered", but other than a very slightly cloudy color, no matter how close I examine it I do not see anything in the beer. I'd say Magic Hat has created a good Pale Wheat Ale that has good drinkability, but I think I'm going to stick with their IPA.

02-25-2006 23:14:05 | More by bkett01
Higravity

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

I am still scratching my head over this one. I was expecting a standard American Wheat called a Hefe, but what I got was neither. In some weird hybrid they manage to make a interesting Hefe. A orange body lays under a dense white head pour that fades to no head in sort order. I liked the first bottle better that being the warm one; it tasted bolder, but suffered with some extra thickness in the body. Good citrus and wheat smell, a touch of spice and a some bready-yeast for measure. The taste is quite dynamic, it moves from wheat beer Americano to Hefe clove citrus and back again. Good beer my only complaint and not really is that it seem too thick, but it is a good drinker and something to session.

02-25-2006 17:53:12 | More by Higravity
Phatz

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This beer pours a hazy orange yellow color with a soapy head and sticky lacing. There are some odd (mucus looking) floaties, which I guess are not a bad thing as the bottle reads, "unfiltered and unfettered."

Smell: Yeast and bubblegum. I have never used that description before, but that is what came to my mind.

Taste: There is, in the taste, the common banana and honey flavor (that I'm used to in the style) but it is not overpoweringly banana; in fact it is not overly anything. The flavor itself seems to be a bit hidden upfront making me think the beer is a bit watery. The flavor comes out more after the mid way point and through the finish. This beer was the first I've had that made me say "Oh, so that is what they are talking about when they say a beer tastes like Band-Aids! :) Now I get it." The band-aid phenols really came out in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Tingly! This beer feels active and fluid in both the taste and the mouthfeel. It is refreshingly wet (as I said like water) and yet through the middle it seems to have nice tingly bubbles making for a fuller mouthfeel even though this beer is more smooth than others.

Drinkability: This really is a decent beer; it just happens to a style that is less than my favorite style. One thing Magic Hat never fails to do is be original and unique; they did so in this case as well. I enjoyed one. It went down easily but then I was ready for something else like the fantastic batch 373, mmm. Now that is what I'm diggin! :)

----
The next beer I had I poured very slowly and avoid the sediment at the bottom (not that it affect the taste but) that helped me stomach the appearance better! I wanted to mention because some of you may find the same thing to be true.
ALSO
This beer is listed as a American Pale Wheat Ale (An Americanized version of a Hefe Weizen). I got confused at first because the image on the font is something caged. The tagline one the cage (that you can almost read in the picture) is ‘The Hefe Wiezen!’ :) lol Now I get it!
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-25-2006 01:25:50 | More by Phatz
far333

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Hazy apricot colored with an eggshell white head that settles quickly, but leaves legs of lace rising up. Faint aroma of yeastiness and some florally hops, perhaps some honey and lemon. Flavor seems muted upfront, a bit of yeast perhaps, and seems to rise up toward the finish as some peppery spiciness kicks up, followed by some bubblegum, band-aid phenols, and lemon zest. Mouthfeel is full and round, perhaps too much for the style, I was expecting it to be a little drier and crisp.

02-11-2006 01:16:05 | More by far333
Hibernator

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Magic Hat Circus Boy
12 oz brown bottle
Enjoy by May 31 2006 [Part of the new MH "Joe's Garage" spring mix)
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a hazy light orange. Very cloudy with a sudsy thin lace on top. Trails of webbed lace.

Whiffs of wheat, dust and light citrus fruit.

Taste has a juicy malt feel with hints of lime or grapefruit. Reminds me of a flat Fresca. Very dry wheat finish with a tad of hop bitterness.

Great to see a new release from Magic Hat. This beer has a good drinkability level and will help ease in the warmer months ahead.

02-04-2006 00:51:01 | More by Hibernator
Jason

3.9/5  rDev +15%

12 oz bottle with a freshness date on the back label. Under the cap "Being Stronger means Living Longer"

A- Dirty dish water foam clings to the glass ... I know that sounds disgusting but that it is what it looks like. Pale beige orange clouded color from the yeast and pale malts.

S- Touch spicy, touch lemony. Dusty wheat malt flour. Nuetral but nutty yeast in the back.

T&M- Iced lemon herbal tea comes to mind with a spicy wheat kick. Roughness of the grain keeps an edge, muted yeast adds one more layer to the mix. A bit smoother than crisp, with a solid medium body. Finishes with a musty dryness.

D- This beer is as interesting as its name, a nice surprise coming from Magic Hat. One of the first American Wheat Ales that does not make me think "summer seasonal". They took a somewhat pedestrian style and added some flare to it, this one gets a thumbs up from me.

02-03-2006 02:02:14 | More by Jason