Jinx - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.30% ABV

It’s OK to be a Wee Heavy. Much has been made of the ills of smoking. Jinx thinks there’s nothing wrong with it. For years, he stood strong with his peat-smoked whiskey malt mash. He held his head high when others made fun of his wee heavy physique, becoming a mainstay in Magic Hat’s Night of the Living Dead Variety 12-Pak. People said he’d never attain an Original Gravity above 15.1 degrees Plato or an ABV above 6%. He proved them wrong. Take Magic Hat into the next alellenium. Vote Jinx.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 12-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jinx Alström Bros

Sean_Mills, Oct 15, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +30.8%

Another excellent ale from Magic Hat. Slightly smokey due to the peat smoked malt. There's also some wheat malt and chocolate in the recipe which all make for a unique flavor. It's not out for long, so buy it when you can. My wife figured out the logo. I thought it was a funky falling leaf, but she informed me that if you look close, it's actually three overlapping hearts around the smiling face.

far333, Jan 10, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +29.5%

On tap at the brewery. 1st bottling run of the '03 Jinx. It's been way too long since the '02 Jinx was around. Pours a dark brown with a small creamy head. Big malt flavor with a spicy smoked touch. Very well balanced and complex. Very smooth. This is my favorite of Magic Hat's regular seasonal brews. I wish it were available all the time. I can't wait until the bottles start showing up in the stores in a few weeks!

scottum, Aug 19, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +28.2%

12oz bottle into a chilled pint glass.

A - Deep amber color, somewhat cloudy. Not extremely familiar with this style, but the appearance is quite pronounced and very pleasant.

S - Malty and mildly sweet. Not a particularly strong scent, though it does develop a little more as it is allowed to breathe.

T - Strong taste of roasted grain and coffee. A hint of sweetness at first, though finishes smooth and bitter. Taste continues to develop and change given time in the mouth. Unexpectedly different from other fall seasonal offerings.

M - Medium bodied, though not chewy. It certainly has a presence in your mouth but you don't get that same thickness as something like a wheat beer. Again, unique and pleasant.

D - I could drink this all evening. Complex and a pleasant change from other seasonal offerings, without being overpowering. I can't reccomend this highly enough. Worth a try for anyone interested in beer enough to visit this website.

FuzzyGuy84, Oct 09, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

McJedster, May 11, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

danmc50, Mar 11, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +26%

tried this one on tap in their brewery in Vt. Loved it so much i left with a half gallon jug of it filled straight from the tap at the bar.

xXTequila, Oct 02, 2001
4.68/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours a very dark cloudy red color a has only a thin lace of head. Has a sweet roasted caramel malt aroma with a hint a smoke. The taste is slightly bitter, but goes down smooth. You can definitely taste the presence of the roasted caramel malts, but it does leave a slight taste of a cigarette in your mouth. I'm not a smoker, but it didn't really bother me. It leaves an interesting tingling sensation on the tongue and the carbonation is moderate. This beer can't get much better for the style. One of the best Scotch Ales I've ever had.

DrainBamage, Oct 03, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

I had been a little disappointed with my first foray into Magic Hat beers a couple of years ago, but I decided to jump back in with their fall and winter offerings. This time, I was more pleased with the results.
Jinx pours a scant head with no lacing, but is a fine ruby red color.
The aroma is strong, smoky and malty at the same time. Perhaps even a bit of a whiskey or bourbon in there?
The first time I drank this I thought it tasted almost chocolatey. There's more to it than that. There is a good hop bite to it, peppery really. Underlying it all is a solid malt sweetness. And finishing it off is that lovely warm alcohol ester.
Smooth drinker, and a damn fine beer.

weasbri, Nov 11, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

F-ing exceptional. Magic Hat shows a great deal of restraint in many of their more widely distributed ales. The restraint of flavor coupled by the aggressive flavor profile of the style makes this the smoked ale for people who might find fully-smoked ales too much for their palate.

When I first began drinking Jinx, I did not lump it in with rauchbiers. As a fall seasonal, I put it up against HSA from Geary and Old Thumper from KBC. No, not stylistically appropriate, but when it comes to what to drink in Maine when the evening start getting cold, Jinx is one of the best choices.

A woodsy hue trumpets the autumnal nature of the brew (seasonal is AOK with me, HSA has entered a less special place since it's in Hannafod 24-7. As hard it is to say, I guess I don't need this in May.) Aroma is fantasy for those jaded by so many good northeast pales: a fine malty smoky mix that doesn't turn the stomach by being too agressive. The taste follows the aroma: the slickness that turns off some in a Magic Hat pale that is gateway for pilsener drinkers make for a gateway smoked beer that is damn (damn!) fine. Magic Hat seems to have drinkability down to a science.

Get some. I hope you agree.

ecoboy, Aug 19, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +23.3%

Beautiful deep dark copper color. Light tan head with whole range of fine to course bubbles, breaks fairly quickly but doesn't disappear. Decent lace.
Earthy, smokey, roasted malt nose. Smells like fall. Significant whiff of alcohol blocks some of the apparent aroma complexity.
Tastes delicious. Surprisingly light given the lush appearance and ABV, malty, sweet, warm yet hides alcohol edge very well. Outstanding balance.
Creamy, smooth, mouthfeel...feels like sliding along the palate.
Highly drinkable: I would never have expected to like this beer this much...glad I tried it... think I'll pick up a sixer!

DagFishHead, Oct 25, 2003

bras1977, Jul 29, 2014

billybrew21, Mar 02, 2012

kkmiller76, Oct 15, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

A - The beer freshly poured from a growler has a very nice deep red/brownish color to it.

S - The smell is very warm...that is, there are hints of chocolate with a strong amount of whiskey malt (the beer is aged in whiskey casks)

T - Exceptional, this beer brings together everything that is great about fall beers, a nice chocolate taste combined with malt and whiskey

M & D - The beer isn't nearly as heavy to drink as it looks which is one of its best qualities, it feels and goes down like a much lighter beer with the taste of a heavier one.

This is my favorite beer...I just wish they released it all year.

grahambo, Oct 01, 2007

jharkins07, Dec 27, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

I've been drinking this Fall seasonal for many years now.... I rate
it high because its been consistent and an ale that I look forward
to each fall/winter. Some call it a Scotch Ale, smokey, yeah it has
peat whiskey smells in their but just a quick nosefull,blending the taste, Caramel/chocolate built on the taste buds, COMPLEX,
many use this word but its true JINX is complex and perfect for
the time of the year when the seasons are changing and we
prepare for the colder months. For the most part it lives up to its high standards. Its has always been about craft brewing with an edge
and this brew stands out. Some years its more smokey, some
thinner, less sweet some years its perfect. I like this and most
of my friends feel the same. I got to go to this brewery on my
birthday towards the end of January a few years back and in Burlington, VT. its
freezing, college life still moves on, -11 degrees was not my
style but I found the Magic Hat and I'm still savoring the MH's that
I pour, I look forward to their new concoctions year after year.

littlebibs, Nov 24, 2007

bmjivi221, Sep 12, 2014

Turbodog666, Jan 10, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Possibly the definitive smoked beer. The best I've ever had, at least. Poured out to a dark amber brown color with a fluffy white head that maintained a huge level of density. Nice. Aroma is smokey and earthy, with some red wine qualities and dark fruit aromas. Tastes was right on; flavors of sweet and rich malts, smoked wood, unsweetened dark fruits and spices toward the finish. Amazing complexity. Mouthfeel was smooth and lighter than many other smoked beers, but still held on to a rich, creamy character that is missing from so many beers. Good drinkability. WIsh Magic Hat was available in MI. Special thanks to conneticutpoet for the sample.

Frozensoul327, Dec 11, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +18%

RyanCFriedrich, 11 minutes ago
4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Jinx pours a deep red, almost brown with a slightly off white head. I smell a bready maltiness with faint hints of ringwood yeast aromas, as well as a slight herbal spiciness. The taste is rich and malty. It's not quite sweet, with nice toasty flavor shining through, complementing the slight smokiness. Although slight, the smoke flavor appears nicely in the after taste. I drank this beer quite a bit when it was near out of date last year, and while the aged beers are still good, its even better fresh. The hop bitterness and flavor shine through just enough to really balance this beer. Seek this one out if you get Magic Hat in your area.

ericj551, Aug 27, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

First off this is my favorite Magic Hat beer so far! A delicious brew that had me doing my Oliver Twist impersonation..."I want some more".
Great amber color with white head that clings to the glass. An aroma that is very inviting and the taste that leaves you asking for more.

Reverand, Nov 18, 2002