Jinx - Magic Hat Brewing Company

JinxJinx

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.30% ABV

It’s OK to be a Wee Heavy. Much has been made of the ills of smoking. Jinx thinks there’s nothing wrong with it. For years, he stood strong with his peat-smoked whiskey malt mash. He held his head high when others made fun of his wee heavy physique, becoming a mainstay in Magic Hat’s Night of the Living Dead Variety 12-Pak. People said he’d never attain an Original Gravity above 15.1 degrees Plato or an ABV above 6%. He proved them wrong. Take Magic Hat into the next alellenium. Vote Jinx.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 12-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jinx Alström Bros

mlfreeman23, Sep 14, 2014

MikesnoHSL, Oct 19, 2014

Maddjok3r, Sep 21, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -65.1%

This was one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has a chemical after taste. I love all styles of beers. I can not understand the high ratings it's gotten on here.. I had to pour 8 oz out. I just couldn't drink it. I like all the other beers magic hats has. But Wow!!!!!!

Sodamhwf, Aug 10, 2014

HuntDaddy540, Aug 27, 2014

Duesler, Aug 16, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -45%

12 oz bottle served in flute.

The fruity esters really hit me hard. I smelled strong peaches and caramel in the aroma. Not what I was expecting.

Nice tan head that quickly subsided.

Deep copper brown color and clear.

Unimpressive mouthfeel, with medium body and smooth and sweet. OK carbonation.

Very light hop flavor and bitterness in flavor and aroma.

Metallic flavors very apparent, copper, iron, tinny, as well as iodine. Sometime a peat smoked malt can have these flavors out of proportion.

Not sure when this was brewed but it certainly didn't age well.

Not a very drinkable beer for me, I certainly won't have another.

Naugled, Feb 22, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz best by Dec. 08. Served in a chalice.

Rich dark brown with ruby edging, piddly head, no lacing.

Smells of mixed nuts, tobacco, and grass. Sweet caramel malts, very musty and earthy. Complex and largely devoid of traditional scents.

Earthy tobacco taste, not too sweet. Lots of peat and a touch of smoke. Some flatly acidic bitterness. Maybe it's just that this is a Scotch Ale but it tastes "wee" bit like... scotch. Generally herbal and medicinal.

Decently thick mouthfeel with carbonation that is just a bit too sassy to fit here.

It's complex, but I didn't really enjoy it. Glad there were only three bottles of this in the Participation 12er. Below average.

semihobo, Oct 24, 2008

StrayteEDGE, Sep 25, 2014
2.56/5  rDev -31.4%

Jikert, Nov 14, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

I missed the initial release of this beer, which sort of sucked, but luckily there was a twelve pack left at Atlas up the street. It poured a dark brown coloration, with little heading at all. Smell had some sweet sugars, tree bark, caramel...all somewhat weak but nice overall. Taste was to be honest a bit on the sour side. I could taste some of the smokyness to this beer, but it didn't really add to it very much. Mouthfeel was also quite a bit lighter then I remember it being in recent years. One or two of these was more then enough for me. It's sort of unfortunate considering I really used to enjoy this beer. Maybe I got an old bottle or something. I'll probably give it another chance next year. Cheers

jamie2dope, Dec 22, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -29.5%

"Life's not heaven on Route 7"

Hazy copper tinted dark amber beer topped by a minimal amount of off white head. Peat and some type of disinctive hop aroma. Slightly earthy, seems much like some brown ales I've had aroma-wise. Northern Brewer? Perle? I don't know. (At this point, worries about similartes to Bell's Amber and/or Cottonwood Low Down brown are surfacing.) Ahh, true to form. Taste is dominated by a woody, earthy bitterness that reminds me of eating dirt. A bit of smoky peat and malt sweetness saves it a bit. Mouthfeel is a bit harsh and grainy. Drinkability is OK. I just can't get past the dominant earthiness. Every once in a while, I find a beer with this flavor profile. The previous two similarities were mentioned above. Time to start investigating this beer in relation to the otehr two to make sure I don't make something like this. It's a solid beer; I just don't care for it. Some people like blondes, others brunettes. Well, I like the latter, and this is more like a redhead. Or maybe a punk chick with pink hair. Just not my type...

aaronh, Dec 02, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

Katilac, Oct 06, 2014
2.72/5  rDev -27.1%

jtbasc, Oct 31, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Out of the tap I have found to be in agreement with my peers on this beer. From the name and even the tap design, the beer looks interesting enough to give a try. However, I was somewhat dissapointed i na lack of depth and overal simplicty for what could of been an outstanding beer.

It appeared an earthly dark brown with a fading to non existant head. very tall, very dark, would of lead to a statuesque figure if there was a thin layer of head to compliment the color.

The smell was laiden with the peat used to smoke the malts, it was the first and last aroma that came to me and for the most part dominated the beer in general.

The taste was also dominated by the peat with faint notes of stronger flavors that are much more common in a scotch ale. I found it completley absent of any hop accent and it just seemed that the smoked flavor trumped over everything. Slight tofee and an alcoholic pinge resonated on my pallet by those monents were fleeting.

The mouth feel was rough, it felt like I was drinking a side of bbq'ed chicken, it left an overbearing accent from the peat thhat made it barley palletable at times.

As for the texture and overall discourse, it was an extremley heavy beer that I had diffuctly in drinking down in its entirety. The lack of balance in the flavors and the thick content made it difficult overall.

Although the peat floavor was original, and did go nicely in the realm of scotch ales, I think the peat would have tasted better as a smooth (4.5-6.0%) porter or stout. It was difficult to handle as a scotch ale, usualy the mmalts used to make the scotch ale present morethen the sufficient challenge for the beer, smoking the malts was just too much.... Although this is a testament to magic hat's willingess to experiment and try new things, which as many brewery such as this do, envelop the ethos of American craft brewing.

GFSchwab, Nov 09, 2007

TPower, Jul 26, 2014

Chrislovesbacon, Oct 21, 2014

Joe_Grizzly, Jul 30, 2013

harpus, Oct 10, 2013

DCLAguy11, Oct 13, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Copper-Amber-Brown with a very thin cream offwhite head

S: Peat smoked roasted malts.. real earthy with some hop accents

T: Honestly, the flavor is so flat and mucky.. the malts are real bland .. only the interest of the smoky peat flavor is notable

M: Medium bodied with some carbonation.. a bit jumbled on the palate some sips are lasting others not so

O: The flavor really hurts the overal impression

callmemickey, Nov 04, 2007