Blind Faith - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

An ale of enlightenment created to aid in deciphering the puzzles along life's road, and to interpret signs in the voyages of the spirit. Blind Faith is an extremely well-balanced India Pale Ale with a crisp, refreshing hop bitterness and a deep malt body to match.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Faith Alström Bros
kmo1030

nice medium dark red tinged amber with a thick not quite white head. the smell is dominated by citrus and hops with some lightly toasted caramel malts in there as well, really appealing. lemony citrus tang to start, followed by light toasted malt taste, and finished with a strong dose of hops, with it's pretty strong distinctive ringwood yeast magic hat taste... very good. medium bodied, and quite smooth for reasonably strong carbonation. overall, a favorite of mine from magic hat.

08-01-2003 19:25:39 | More by kmo1030
beerman599

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Much more malt than I expected in an IPA from magic hat this sure ant number 9 The hops do not dominate but theres enough to make most hop heads happy there is a good mouthfeel balance between the bite of the hops and the smothness of the malt. someone else wrote tat it reminded them of an ESB but i disagree there are way more hops than a true english ESB.

07-30-2003 22:19:16 | More by beerman599
jeffboo

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

This IPA pours with an attractive orange color with creamy head hoping aromas of earthy, English style hops that are slightly lemony. The flavor is very lemony almost tea like with a lightly toasty finish. The body is a little light for an IPA and the malt doesn't have much depth but still an above average hop drink that leans to the English side of the style with an unique hop direction.

07-27-2003 17:56:45 | More by jeffboo
marburg

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

Some floral and fruity hop aromas emerge from this copper-colored brew. The head on my particular bottle was a little weak, but what was there stuck around for the ride. The taste is pretty compelling. Being "blessed with hops" isn't something I really ever considered, but the slogan is appropriate for this brew. The flavors are big, but they're present -- and they're layered. Grapefruity flavors up front meld with some very light graininess and an herbal sort of finish that lingers...and lingers. I enjoy hops but hardly revere them, and this one sat just right with me. Very tasty.

07-18-2003 13:13:25 | More by marburg
dmarch

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

It looks like I learned a good lesson today. My second tasting was better than the first. Maybe the first was a bad bottle or the food I was eating it with gave the beer an off taste. Either way every bottle I drank after that was magnificent. Pours with and amber color and a thick white head that lasts a long long time. Aroma is flowery and citrusy suggesting cascade hops. Bitterness from the hops, once again tastes like cascade. A well crafted IPA.

07-11-2003 05:46:23 | More by dmarch
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.48/5  rDev -2%

The immediate aroma is of lychees. Quite floral. The moutfeel is softly carbonated, lightly citrusy and floral, with a touch of acidity. The flavour was less hoppy than the aroma suggested. A nice solid IPA, with a nice soft mouthfeel, enjoyable little beer.

06-28-2003 01:42:46 | More by rastaman
86MonteSS

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

A while ago, I asked a girl I knew from work to describe the beer selection at a certain bar I've never been to. She said it's pretty good, and that they have all the basics and "all the Magic Hats." At this point, I hadn't tried any Magic Hats, and I had serious doubts about the beer. I also had (and still have) reservations about the patrons of this bar. I'm pretty sure it's filled with liberal college students and rice boys.

So, after trying a few Magic Hats, my theories are proven to be correct. This bar serves "all the Magic Hats" because they're fruity beers. Fruity beers, fruity customers... you can't go wrong. I always have a hard time admitting I like fruity-tasting stuff. I thought Magic Hat #9 was a little over the edge but it was still pretty tasty. This is not the hoppiest IPA I've ever tasted. It is, however, fruity.

If I worked for Magic Hat, I would be genuinely embarrassed about Blind Faith's head. It's a joke... bad even for an IPA. If you want a head, you'll have to let it glug like crazy. The smell is on the plus side but it's nothing special. This beer is flavorful, but when I see "India Pale Ale" on the label, I want it to hop like a god damn bunny. Nevertheless, at the very least it's refreshing.

06-26-2003 23:41:03 | More by 86MonteSS
Admiraldinty

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours copper with a sticky white head. Definite hop aromas are present. Taste is mainly hops. In fact, that's all I could distinguish. Pretty strong hops, but not as strong as Hop Devil, or some others. Malts seemed almost non-existent. I was a little disappointed by this beer. I thought it would be so much more than it was.

06-24-2003 21:11:43 | More by Admiraldinty
ecoboy

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours light amber with little head.

Heavenly grassy hop/earthy malt aroma.

Much more malt than I expected in an IPA (maybe why HI.P.A. was brewed by MH with a huge hops whack.) The hops do not dominate: there is a great mouthfeel balance between the sting of the hops and the warm roundness of the malt. It really reminds me of an ESB more than an IPA. The alcohol presence is subdued for a 5+ abv beer. Tastes like a session "non-big" beer. Be warned.

06-19-2003 09:17:12 | More by ecoboy
bmills1608

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

My second Magic Hat brew. Poured from the bottle a really nice burnished copper color: crystal clear. Head ended up being about a finger thick, very foamy, off white and tight, left a nice lace. On the nose were juicy cascades, spicy sweet and fresh.

Taste was cascades at the start, lots of them, bitterness kicks in followed by a lightly sweet almost creamy toasted malt flavor. This is a real hop-forward brew, with the typical grapefruit taste of an American IPA loaded up with cascades. I am becoming more and more a fan of this hop, I use to dislike it quite a bit. Times have changed for the better I think. The flavors in this beer come at you quick and fast, but vanish very early leaving a lightly dry hop tingle. Mouthfeel was smooth and airy with a bit of creaminess. Finished bitter and dry.

This is an excellent example of an American IPA. Full flavored, cascade freshness in taste and aroma and very drinkable.

06-12-2003 05:52:14 | More by bmills1608
far333

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

I've been a big fan of this beer since before MH was a popular brewer, and appreciate it even more now that I've finally poured one to review. Iced tea colored, with a gorgeous foamy head full of big bubbles. The head stays with me, and laces the glass as I drink. The aroma is hoppy, but not overdone, with hints of citrus. Mouthfeel is full and creamy and enjoyable, and the hop bitter is crisp, and is tasted throughout the mouth, with a lingering bitter in the back. Now I know why I've always liked this one.

05-19-2003 04:41:41 | More by far333
xgrigorix

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a beautiful clear copper with an impressive snow white head.

Complex hop aromas fill my nostrils. Medium body, good carbonation. A mild sweetness in the intilial sip. Finishes dry, with even more hop flavor than I could have hoped for.

Delicious!

04-28-2003 10:16:59 | More by xgrigorix
taez555

4.33/5  rDev +22%

"Head the Warning of Early Morning"

Strange since I was reviewing this beer at 8am. (It's ok, I work the graveyard shift)

Anyway... This beer poured a small white head. Nice hoppy/sweet malt nose with maybe a hint of fruit.

The body was a very clear orange amber with a slight chill haze.

This beer was very smooth and easy drinking. Bitter and hoppy, but not so in your face that it tastes as if it was soaked in hops. The malt flavors were very smooth and balanced. Classic Pale Ale, slight caramel tones. With just a few hints of other malts like chocolate that sort of catch you by surprise. It also has some subtle finishing hop flavors that suggest a slight dry hopping.

The beer finishes with a pop of hop bitterness but then mellows out as it fades.

Overall I find this beer to be just another great beer from magic hat. From the looks of it it could be just another stock IPA from any brewery, but it's the clear tastes, the balance, and the way it plays with the subtle flavors that trick the drinker. This is what brings me back to this beer and brewery over and over again.

04-27-2003 23:27:35 | More by taez555
stegmakk

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Nice dark copper...with little off white head...

Smell: Mild earthy hops

Taste: Bitter to earthy to floral citrus joppy flavor...nice balance

Mouthfeel: Could have a litte more to it but pretty good

Drinkability: Very good...I enjoyed this one

04-24-2003 17:08:34 | More by stegmakk
rabidawg

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

"How much for the goat?"

I can't tell you how many times I was asked that very same question when on a first date back in Georgia . . . .

Appearance: The color of clover honey. Nice, creamy head that left a ring of lace around the top of the glass.

Smell: Dominated by citrusy, pungent hops. Slight hints of malt around the edges, and a nice earthy, musty, femented sweetness.

Taste: Initial citrusy, heavy grapefruit hop notes, leading toward grassy, bittersweet chewed-dendelion flavors, and then finishing with a heavy dose of hop bitterness.

Good American IPA. More impressed with Magic Hat with every brew I try.

[Note to self . . . don't drink other IPAs after HopDevil. That's why I'm re-reviewing.]

04-21-2003 21:39:39 | More by rabidawg
aaronh

4.33/5  rDev +22%

"Don't throw Mud, throw a Spud."

Pours a medium copper color with amber highlights, and exhibits a slight chill haze. It is topped by a fairly dense, 3/4" head that slowly fades to a thin layer of off-white foam, clinging to the sides of the glass as it recedes. It also leaves a nice lacing as you quaff. The aroma is nice and hoppy, sort of like a restrained, smooth Cascade hop aroma (just checked, actually it is Cascade), but it is mixed with a bit of roasted malt and caramel. Very seductive to say the least. The taste is very bitter, but it grudgingly gives way to a touch of sweetness. The lingering grapefruit in the aftertatse is very well done, as it is not as overpowering or annoying (to me at least) as many Cascade hopped brews. It is as refreshing as slightly sweetnened, fresh-squeezed lemonade. There is substantial malt to support the hops, and it lends a good mouthfeel to the beer. I could probably drink this all night, as it is both tasty and refreshing. Venom gave me three, so perhaps I'll have another this evening. This is a very solid beer, and I look forward to trying some more Magic Hat brews.

04-16-2003 14:27:46 | More by aaronh
UncleJimbo

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz brown glass bottle, capped. BBE month notched (Mar in this case).

This IPA poured a clear, amber color with creamy, white foam that left good lace down the glass. The smell was floral hops - citrus and grapefruit, and some biscuity malt. The taste was floral hops and malt with a nice citrusy (grapefruit) hop finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and crisp with medium body. Nicely hoppy, though not overwhelmingly hopped. The drinkability was good. A nice, easy drinking IPA.

04-03-2003 22:38:56 | More by UncleJimbo
MJR

Missouri

3.3/5  rDev -7%

Under the cap says "The Weight is not as Heavy as you Think."

Appearance: Pours a really pale orange color with hints of gold around the edges. It's much lighter than most other American-made IPA's. Crystal clear body. An off-white head starts out at 3/8" thick and slowing gets thinner.

Smell: Semi-muted aroma of Cascade hops. Grapefruit, pine, the usual suspects... There's a bit of a peppery spiciness to the hops too. A hint of sweet malt hides underneath the hops.

Taste: Fairly uninteresting... There's the Cascade flavors, with a touch of malt providing a nice balance that is usually lacking (and not wanted) in IPA's. Ends with a slighty burnt flavor, as well as a medicinal character. The problem is, this almost seems like an IPA-Light. The balance is acceptable, but all of the flavors seem to have been taken down a notch or three. Lacking...

Mouthfeel: Too thin in body, with a crisp and dry mouthfeel. Again, like their Humble Patience I tried earlier tonight, there's not enough body to satisfy. More body please...

Drinkability: Average....so far, Magic Hat hasn't blown me away. I liked their Heart of Darkness stout, but it suffered from the same problem: lack of body. These brews just aren't holding my attention...

A 'thank you' goes out to pbrian for including this one in our beer trade!

04-02-2003 22:15:59 | More by MJR
francisweizen

Alaska

4.8/5  rDev +35.2%

An excellent NE I.P.A. from magic hat! This is my first MH beer and it was awesome. I look forward to sampling each and every beer that this brewery has to offer after this experience. This beer pours a wonderful light amber colour with a nice head that leaves excellent lace. This beer has some wonderful aromas of spicy hops, butterscotch, malts, and that wonderfullly fruity Ringwood yeast. This beer is balanced so well that I have to give it a perfect 5 for taste! It has a very spicy, hoppy taste that is perectly balanced by the ringwood yeasts fruitiness and some malts. The mouthfeel is crisp and full and the drinkability is almost perfect as well. What more can I say, I think that I am falling in love with this brewery!
Cheers to paceyourself for sending me this bottle!,
F.

04-01-2003 11:45:23 | More by francisweizen
feloniousmonk

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Color is a peachy amber hue, with a nice 3/4" bubbly, off-white head. Aroma exudes esters from the start, a heady jolt of peach, apricot, grapefruit, citrus, pineapple, a singular brand of hoopiness.
Fierce bitterness greets the tongue and stays along for the ride, and malt is hardly accountable. Medium body. Scintillating hop buzz creates an everlasting finish, but it's an ultimately top-heavy, hop-heavy brew. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool hophead, but there can be too much of that thing. Needs more malt! Had to remove some drinkability points for that.
I tip my hat to both purplehops and UncleJimbo, who both provided me with this one.

03-26-2003 21:17:25 | More by feloniousmonk
DarthMalt

4.13/5  rDev +16.3%

Aint no hop monster.........................these days...
...but, still, sch-weet as Hell!

A big, sexy, Queen Latifa body with a warm snuggle of roasted malt. Roast tannins do not pinch hit for hops however [as is so common in the micro scene]. Soft waters cushion high-impact flavors. Yeasty-Beastys dance on the tongue, daring other ingredients to defy their attenuated masterpiece.

Waters and yeast finish the day, while palliative malts soothe the tummy.

Crankin' A-IPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-12-2003 15:05:35 | More by DarthMalt
kunzbrew

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

This brew pours a light color copper with red highlights and no head but leaves a sexy lace on the sides of the glass. This is a hoppy brew that which is what I like. But there is something that doesn't cut the cake with this brew, the earthy notes are a little to stringent, for my liking. The fruitiness that comes from an ale yeast is missing a little there are some citrus notes but nothing outstanding. The finish is nice but not great, a leftover hop tea flavor hangs on the tongue.

Cheers,

Mike

01-07-2003 15:48:07 | More by kunzbrew
purplehops

Maine

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

Blind Faith poured a cloudy amber-orange with a thick white head that stuck to the sides of the glass. The aroma is hoppy with notes of citrus and faint odors of carmel. The taste starts off with a hoppy bite that mellows nicely into a slightly sweet maltiness. The finish is slightly dry with flavors of citrus and spicy hops taking command. The aftertaste is a lingering spicy hops with hints of carmel malt and orange flavors. The mouthfeel is moderately thin with a light crispness about it. This is (for me) the only down side to this beer.
IMHO this beer could stand more body. It is more like a pale pale ale with lots of color than an india pale ale. The hop profile of an india pale ale is there but not the body. But it is very drinkable and an intriguing product. I wouldn't turn one down.

01-06-2003 02:39:55 | More by purplehops
TXHops

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Blind Faith is a tremendous change of pace from the SLAM-IN YOUR FACE hoppiness of most American IPA's. While I LOVE the AIPA style, most would cringe at the mention of the word "balance". Blind Faith does a good job of being a hoppy beer that doesn't kill the taste buds with alpha acids...

The beer pours a sickly orangish yellow with chill haze that never clears. The head is the equivalent of cirrus clouds on a cold winter day--wispy and non-comprehensive. The aroma is the best part of this beer: the malt and hops interact to create that trademark Magic Hat smell--almost cloyingly sweet, then enough hops to keep me wanting to sniff again and again compulsively.

The thinnish body has a nice, smooth malt sweetness (much less than the nose suggests), which is quickly washed away by the bittering hops, which are quickly chased by the resiny aroma hops, which die a slow death thanks to this beer's potential flaw--sourness. This is not the kind of sourness you get from old beer where the malt has soured. This is the kind of sourness you get from a beer whose maltiness isn't thoroughly mitigated by hops. It's the same sensation I get when I drink a soda--the sugar the collects in the corners of my mouth slowly fade from sweet to sour as my oral enzymes attack the sugar.

Still, after all that, this beer's primary characteristic has yet to be mentioned--softness. This is perhaps the softest beer I've ever had. This beer might even make a real Czech Pilsner taste hard. I don't know if Magic Hat's water supply is completely devoid of minerals, or if the yeast employed at the brewery has an odd affect on the wort... In any case, this beer is so soft that it literally scoffs at the notion of refreshment... The interesting part? I quite enjoyed it! Very unique in a world full of cookie cutter IPA's...

12-29-2002 19:27:48 | More by TXHops
HossMcGraw

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Excellente! I was a little caught off guard with this one. It seemed super refreshing after being on strict diet of Chocolate Stout and Ruination. The aroma is what initially lures you in. It's very fresh and hoppy. Smells like a spring morning. The taste is very hoppy and complex, although definitely a little thin, which was actually ok with me considering what I've been drinking lately. The head retention in my beer was good too, despite what other reviewers have said. This is a definite must-try.

12-22-2002 15:01:03 | More by HossMcGraw