Blind Faith - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

An ale of enlightenment created to aid in deciphering the puzzles along life's road, and to interpret signs in the voyages of the spirit. Blind Faith is an extremely well-balanced India Pale Ale with a crisp, refreshing hop bitterness and a deep malt body to match.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Faith Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle. Cap wisdom tells us to “Have a 9 on 9/9” (a little late for that). Freshness date notched.

Color is a rich amber with some slight chill haze, very sticky beige head. Nose is all about hops... sweet citrus and a touch of apricot. Smell is a little misleading. Taste starts off full-on hops... but a bitter, almost saline bite... not at all unpleasant though as it mellows slightly into a fruiter grassier hop taste. You can definitely taste the Cascades. Sweet malt rounds things off, and creates a wonderful clean finish. Very pleasant and light aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth with gentle carbonation.

Personally, I have never been a big fan of this brewery, but Blind Faith is a winner. All hop-heads should give this one a whirl.

silks636, Sep 30, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer pours a rich bronze-gold with a nice short-lived head. The aroma is most definitely hops -- citrus with hints of strawberry. I found this beer to be an excellent balance of spicy hops and sweet malts (heavy on the hops, of course), with a nice dry mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

LiquidBreadMan, Sep 27, 2003

12oz bottle BEB Dec 2003

Pours bright golden brown with a small but lacy white head. Quite the good-looking beer...

Smells of hops, hops, hops. I'm not a hop-head but smells quite hoppy to me. Banana undertones. Smells like a boxwood...

Initially sweet on the tongue followed quickly by that big smooth hoppiness. Balanced nicely, bitter but sugary sweet as well. Medium bodied with a nice hoppy aftertaste. A nice session beer, as they say. Very drinkable indeed. Magic Hat is hit-and-miss for my tastes but this one definitely hit.

ViveLaChouffe, Sep 23, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

This beer really showcased for me the lingering difference between east and west-coast IPAs. On first sniff, this beer struck me as rather wimpish. The aroma seemed to have much more caramel sweetness than most of the west coast IPAs with which I was familiar, and the hop notes seemed to be mostly floral and fairly mild. The flavor, too, struck me as unassertive. But after a few sips to allow myself to get into the spirit of this brew, it really started to impress me. The body of the beer is, indeed, less "punchy" than a lot of West Coast IPAs, but has a delightful subtleness of its own -- a sort of buttery biscuity body, leading to a mostly grassy hop finish. And then there's the aftertaste -- toasty, just a bit bitter, long-lasting and lovely. Muted carbonation brings out the complexities in the flavor, and lends the beer a fuller, more oily mouthfeel. Copper in appearance with a thinnish, though sticky, off-white head. A very nice session beer, and an educative experience for a die hard left-coaster such as I!

mzwolinski, Sep 11, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

On draught at The Old Bay in New Brunswick, NJ. Pours a rich amber color with a very thin off-white head. The aroma is very hoppy with a hint of malt as well. Medium body, with a lot of hops and not too much malt balance to begin with, but later on there seemed to be more. The finish is short and hoppy. Not too bad.

Dogbrick, Sep 02, 2003

Served in a 12 oz. bottle. The color is a hazy copper, with a good head. The smell is very citrusy and hoppy. The taste is a very dry bitter hop. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. Drinkability-wise, could have a few more.

After the Heart of Darkness, this is my favorite Magic Hat beer. A quality IPA, and one I'd have again when I'm in that IPA mood.

beergeek279, Aug 30, 2003

The beer pours a brassy, dirty yellow. Not dirty gross, but dirty brownish. Crystal clear, with a smooth ivory head. So fine it looks like a nitro pour. Great lacing, sticking to the glass like a champ.
Aroma is fronted with a thick grapefruity hopping. Distinct Magic Hat hop aroma, with a wierd rindy herbal grassiness to it. Not unpleasant. Perhaps a blend of german and american hop varieties? Solid malt backing, with a touch of estery apple and apricot.
Flavor is very hoppy. Defined oak aged flavor in the first sip, with tons of hops. Complex hop flavor, changing from a grassy herbal to a grapefruity citric tanginess. Solid pale maltiness, with light estery flavors. Apple and apricot, with perhaps a suggestion of kiwifruit. Mild breadiness towards the end. Medium bodied, with a full effervescent carbonation. Definitely a beer I come back to often. Incredibly good in this humid New England summer.

UnionMade, Aug 24, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +22%

A very nice IPA with a unique finish. Aggressively carbonated with a tight foamy head that took quite a while to settle down enough to finish the pour. A pleasant whack of cascades hops assails the nose. Flavor up front is sharp and tingly hops, a bit of malt at the middle and then the beer goes bone dry at the finish like dry white wine, yet the hops linger as an echo. A nice change of pace from IPA's that hang at the back of the tongue bitter as day-old coffee. This one gets your attention, then quietly retires.

Brent, Aug 19, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Beautiful large head with varied size bubbles. Smell was hoppy, but not overly strong. Taste was a nice hoppy zip, but a bit of oily residue left a bit to be desired. Mouthfeel was crisp, but oily residue lingered to reduce the after effects. Drinkability was average, wouldn't want to drink more than a couple.

edchicma, Aug 16, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

Amber body with sizable foamy head. Serious lacing all the way down the glass. Nice hop aroma (Cascade again???) Seems to be the hop of choice for Northeast brewers. Not a big aroma but enough to satisfy. I'm noticing the northeast IPA's are more balanced and not as big as the west coast IPA's. This is a refreshing ale but nothing really outstanding. Flavor is mild but balanced. Certainly more flavor than their Pale.

BierReise, Aug 07, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Wow, so far just from cracking the bottle and the initialy hints of the aroma from the pour I see why my favorite style is an IPA. Appears a copper amber brown with a tawny off whtie cream colored head leaving generous patches of lacing this is my type of beer. Rich soothing pine cone scented hops along with a floral bouquet definitely worth noting in this beers complex and aggressive aroma tamed by a rich malt undertow in this wave of bliss. Taste is well beyond crush my palate with hop bitterness and ends up somewhere in an ideal world where hops and malted barley unite and become not rivals but friends that gain mutual benefits from acting out not parastically on one another but in a symbiotic relationship where each member thrives. Not overly bitter but a load of malt flavor reaches the palate and blends oh so nicely that I have found my session brew. This is a beer that reaches down deep within the soul of it's style to bring nothing but the best to the table, quite drinkable to boot my I wish I had at least five more of these to enjoy. Drinkability from a medium bodied chewy but not too thick brew this one allows the drinker to fully indulge into a different realm of beer nirvana. I am one with this beer I see why the title is giving to this beer, because after trying it you put blind faith towards it as one of the true gifts from God.

Words of Wisdom from under the cap:
"Truthsayers beat soothsayers."

WVbeergeek, Aug 04, 2003

nice medium dark red tinged amber with a thick not quite white head. the smell is dominated by citrus and hops with some lightly toasted caramel malts in there as well, really appealing. lemony citrus tang to start, followed by light toasted malt taste, and finished with a strong dose of hops, with it's pretty strong distinctive ringwood yeast magic hat taste... very good. medium bodied, and quite smooth for reasonably strong carbonation. overall, a favorite of mine from magic hat.

kmo1030, Aug 01, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Much more malt than I expected in an IPA from magic hat this sure ant number 9 The hops do not dominate but theres enough to make most hop heads happy there is a good mouthfeel balance between the bite of the hops and the smothness of the malt. someone else wrote tat it reminded them of an ESB but i disagree there are way more hops than a true english ESB.

beerman599, Jul 30, 2003
3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

This IPA pours with an attractive orange color with creamy head hoping aromas of earthy, English style hops that are slightly lemony. The flavor is very lemony almost tea like with a lightly toasty finish. The body is a little light for an IPA and the malt doesn't have much depth but still an above average hop drink that leans to the English side of the style with an unique hop direction.

jeffboo, Jul 27, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

Some floral and fruity hop aromas emerge from this copper-colored brew. The head on my particular bottle was a little weak, but what was there stuck around for the ride. The taste is pretty compelling. Being "blessed with hops" isn't something I really ever considered, but the slogan is appropriate for this brew. The flavors are big, but they're present -- and they're layered. Grapefruity flavors up front meld with some very light graininess and an herbal sort of finish that lingers...and lingers. I enjoy hops but hardly revere them, and this one sat just right with me. Very tasty.

marburg, Jul 18, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

It looks like I learned a good lesson today. My second tasting was better than the first. Maybe the first was a bad bottle or the food I was eating it with gave the beer an off taste. Either way every bottle I drank after that was magnificent. Pours with and amber color and a thick white head that lasts a long long time. Aroma is flowery and citrusy suggesting cascade hops. Bitterness from the hops, once again tastes like cascade. A well crafted IPA.

dmarch, Jul 11, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The immediate aroma is of lychees. Quite floral. The moutfeel is softly carbonated, lightly citrusy and floral, with a touch of acidity. The flavour was less hoppy than the aroma suggested. A nice solid IPA, with a nice soft mouthfeel, enjoyable little beer.

rastaman, Jun 28, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

A while ago, I asked a girl I knew from work to describe the beer selection at a certain bar I've never been to. She said it's pretty good, and that they have all the basics and "all the Magic Hats." At this point, I hadn't tried any Magic Hats, and I had serious doubts about the beer. I also had (and still have) reservations about the patrons of this bar. I'm pretty sure it's filled with liberal college students and rice boys.

So, after trying a few Magic Hats, my theories are proven to be correct. This bar serves "all the Magic Hats" because they're fruity beers. Fruity beers, fruity customers... you can't go wrong. I always have a hard time admitting I like fruity-tasting stuff. I thought Magic Hat #9 was a little over the edge but it was still pretty tasty. This is not the hoppiest IPA I've ever tasted. It is, however, fruity.

If I worked for Magic Hat, I would be genuinely embarrassed about Blind Faith's head. It's a joke... bad even for an IPA. If you want a head, you'll have to let it glug like crazy. The smell is on the plus side but it's nothing special. This beer is flavorful, but when I see "India Pale Ale" on the label, I want it to hop like a god damn bunny. Nevertheless, at the very least it's refreshing.

86MonteSS, Jun 27, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours copper with a sticky white head. Definite hop aromas are present. Taste is mainly hops. In fact, that's all I could distinguish. Pretty strong hops, but not as strong as Hop Devil, or some others. Malts seemed almost non-existent. I was a little disappointed by this beer. I thought it would be so much more than it was.

Admiraldinty, Jun 24, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber with little head.

Heavenly grassy hop/earthy malt aroma.

Much more malt than I expected in an IPA (maybe why HI.P.A. was brewed by MH with a huge hops whack.) The hops do not dominate: there is a great mouthfeel balance between the sting of the hops and the warm roundness of the malt. It really reminds me of an ESB more than an IPA. The alcohol presence is subdued for a 5+ abv beer. Tastes like a session "non-big" beer. Be warned.

ecoboy, Jun 19, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

My second Magic Hat brew. Poured from the bottle a really nice burnished copper color: crystal clear. Head ended up being about a finger thick, very foamy, off white and tight, left a nice lace. On the nose were juicy cascades, spicy sweet and fresh.

Taste was cascades at the start, lots of them, bitterness kicks in followed by a lightly sweet almost creamy toasted malt flavor. This is a real hop-forward brew, with the typical grapefruit taste of an American IPA loaded up with cascades. I am becoming more and more a fan of this hop, I use to dislike it quite a bit. Times have changed for the better I think. The flavors in this beer come at you quick and fast, but vanish very early leaving a lightly dry hop tingle. Mouthfeel was smooth and airy with a bit of creaminess. Finished bitter and dry.

This is an excellent example of an American IPA. Full flavored, cascade freshness in taste and aroma and very drinkable.

bmills1608, Jun 12, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

I've been a big fan of this beer since before MH was a popular brewer, and appreciate it even more now that I've finally poured one to review. Iced tea colored, with a gorgeous foamy head full of big bubbles. The head stays with me, and laces the glass as I drink. The aroma is hoppy, but not overdone, with hints of citrus. Mouthfeel is full and creamy and enjoyable, and the hop bitter is crisp, and is tasted throughout the mouth, with a lingering bitter in the back. Now I know why I've always liked this one.

far333, May 19, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a beautiful clear copper with an impressive snow white head.

Complex hop aromas fill my nostrils. Medium body, good carbonation. A mild sweetness in the intilial sip. Finishes dry, with even more hop flavor than I could have hoped for.

Delicious!

xgrigorix, Apr 28, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +22%

"Head the Warning of Early Morning"

Strange since I was reviewing this beer at 8am. (It's ok, I work the graveyard shift)

Anyway... This beer poured a small white head. Nice hoppy/sweet malt nose with maybe a hint of fruit.

The body was a very clear orange amber with a slight chill haze.

This beer was very smooth and easy drinking. Bitter and hoppy, but not so in your face that it tastes as if it was soaked in hops. The malt flavors were very smooth and balanced. Classic Pale Ale, slight caramel tones. With just a few hints of other malts like chocolate that sort of catch you by surprise. It also has some subtle finishing hop flavors that suggest a slight dry hopping.

The beer finishes with a pop of hop bitterness but then mellows out as it fades.

Overall I find this beer to be just another great beer from magic hat. From the looks of it it could be just another stock IPA from any brewery, but it's the clear tastes, the balance, and the way it plays with the subtle flavors that trick the drinker. This is what brings me back to this beer and brewery over and over again.

taez555, Apr 28, 2003
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Nice dark copper...with little off white head...

Smell: Mild earthy hops

Taste: Bitter to earthy to floral citrus joppy flavor...nice balance

Mouthfeel: Could have a litte more to it but pretty good

Drinkability: Very good...I enjoyed this one

stegmakk, Apr 24, 2003