Blind Faith - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

An ale of enlightenment created to aid in deciphering the puzzles along life's road, and to interpret signs in the voyages of the spirit. Blind Faith is an extremely well-balanced India Pale Ale with a crisp, refreshing hop bitterness and a deep malt body to match.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 08-04-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Faith Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +22%

Welcome back old friend. When I last had you, I was barely legal to drink. Pours a golden copper with a white head and lacing.

Smell of biscuit, pine, and light hop presence. Also, that familiar Magic Hat yeast strain that I sense in many of their brews from their Odd Notion Sour Winter 09, and #9 a nice lighter sided strain that brings out the softer side of malt flavors on my taste buds. Strong bittering hops, and a lighter floral hop presence round out the flavors of Blind Faith. Glad to see this one back, now I am just waiting for Fat Angel to come back.
Healthy carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

This is a very drinkable beer. Glad to see it in 6 packs again instead of mixed 12 packs. Cant remember exactly the last time I had it, but I was hardly as into beer as I have been the past few years and it did not disappoint from my memories of it.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Blind Faith, from Magic Hat. Enjoying this beer- I've had 4 out of my 6pk already. Time to review it before I drink it all, lol. 12oz, 6.2% ABV. Into my Magic Hat pint glass.

A- Great head on the pour, nice sticky lacing that's eggshell white. Beer is a hazy gold with mild copper qualities. Pale, but not too pale. A great pour- the head is providing some fantastic lacing.

S- Floral hop notes, some pine resin, hoppy but nothing too strong.

T- The lack of 'oomph' in the nose is countered in the taste. Very hoppy, bitter and a bit earthy. Finishes with a fruity hop note- tropical/citrus. Very tasty. Good lasting bitterness. Bit of a bready malt backbone, not too prominent but good balance.

M- Very well balanced, great carbonation, great finish and great bitterness that runs throughout.

D- I was very impressed by this beer. Magic Hat has a reputation for putting marketing before their beer... I'm now not sure that's the case. This beer is very tasty and one I will buy more of for sure. A very tasty NE IPA. Can't wait to see what the other rotating IPAs are like.

3.8/5  rDev +7%

Poured from the 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a hazy gold/amber with a finger and half of foamy white head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a bit bitter with some malty spiciness. A little wet rag flavor too with some hops hiding here ad there is the background.

The taste has some nice bitter hop flavor with some nice spicy flavor that comes off after the bitterness. There is some nice earthy flavor that hold for a little then lets go.

The feel of this beer is pretty easy drinking. It has some kick but is only slight with a decent ABV that will makes this a bit strong but not too strong. A good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

A- Dark, opaque amber with a small white head

S- Malty, musty, full smell

T- Thick roasty malts foretaste with a nice bitter hoppy aftertaste that lingers a bit

M- Crisp and full that goes right into the drinkability

D- Each drink leaves you wanting more!

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz. Longneck. Consumed 5/11/10
A) Pours with a finger thick, white foamy head then settles. Some haze. Light sediment. Active upward carbonation. Copper in color. The lacing is thin and sticky.
S) Malts - caramel, slight bit of toffee. Faint grapefruit. Grainy.
T) Subtle sweet malts with some tart hop bite. Once the initial hops fade some nuttiness. Finishes balanced with the malt sweetness and hoppy citrus bite.
M) Fizzy. Light to medium body. Crisp. Slightly dry.
D) A nice IPA. I'd have another.

3.55/5  rDev 0%

So Magic Hat, again it all their wisdom, killed off another one of the few good beers. Finally it has come back to us, so now I can see if it truly is as good as it once was hither. "You are next in line" says the wisdom of the cap.

A: Poured into my oversized snifter (cause that's what I used for my last beer) with a decent frothy 1 finger head that fades slowly over hazy reddish orange color.

N: Some toasty malts with spices, somewhat like a pumpkin beer actually but without the pumpkin itself, hints of some bitterness and some hops, mostly U.K. smelling hops, but they are lower. It def has that Magic Hat like aroma. A little musty aroma but not so much from fresh hops as other bittering hops and malts even.

T: A decent bitter flavor, with more U.K. style bittering hops. Not much for hop flavor up front, with a little chewy U.K. hop flavors again, English bitter chewy and fruity hop flavor as well as that musty flavor. Some thick malts with chewy flavor and some toasty flavors. Again a little spices flavored with it. A touch of fruit flavor as well.

M: Medium body with low carbonation.

F: Somewhat spicy bitterness as it apexes on the finish about 3 seconds after the final swallow. It gets pretty dry with that as well as the two build off each other. Some lingering toasty flavors with a little spice again, and those English bitter hop flavors, mild but there. A slight lingering sticky sweetness too.

Well, either my palate as greatly changed since this went off the market a couple years ago (which it def did) or this is not the same Blind Faith they brought us before. Maybe they're hoping we will believe them on blind faith (see what I did there), but I'm not buying it. Even the abv is different for this batch. Pretty bland I think. Plus it had almost no carbonation, what's with that... come on Magic Hat, what happened to you guys?!

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

first off let me say i tried this in a variety 12 pack that ran me around 15 bucks. worth every penny and cheaper then the sam adams variety at my local store.

id also like to say im not the biggest ipa guy so im gona keep it short.

A- a nice color. seemed kinda amber to me. a 2 finger head with a decent lacing

S-not too hoppy, nothing realy floral or fruity

T-ok i was expecting or bracing for that hop zing that after bite. it never happend, nothing crazy about this beer , nothing bad nothing amazing. a nice finish i have to say i was expecting more but was satisfied. this is a solid beer.

D- i could drink a couple of these. im not usealy crazy about ipa's or i havent realy started to appreciate them. but blind faith is good start for me

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

Apperance - 3/4 pint poured into a Sam Adams glass. Copper/Orange with a biscuit 2 inch head which dissipated quickly to leave moderate lacing.

Smell - not as hop forward as I would expect. Almost malty in the nose if sniffed whilst drinking. Subdued hopness for an IPA.

Taste - I was in Burlington at Magic Hat and if memory serves a fresh pint was superior to my bottle tasting, but that is probably true for any beer. A little heavy on the carbonation, a little too much malt coming through... sweetness at the front rather than the familiar hop sting at the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - somehow the thinning carbonation and the malt work themselves out to provide a nicely balanced mouthfeel.

Drinkability - A good, not great IPA, not a session brew, but I would easily drink more than one.

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance - Pours a deep amber color with a two finger pure white head that leaves a lot of lacing. Slightly hazy, looks like chill haze.

Nose - Ccaramel malts, bready grains and some hops in the background. Maybe willamette? Not much too it, very plain and generic.

Taste - Very similar to the smell, there is a familiar bitterness and an American-hop-but-not-a-C-hop flavor. I'm really thinking it's willamette or American goldings.

Mouthfeel - Body comes off thin due to the high carbonation. Very watery in fact. I prefer all of my IPAs, especially my English ones, to have lower carbonation.

Overall - A good American example of an English IPA up to the mouthfeel. Way too much carbonation for the style which makes the beer come off thin. I would likely, and probably will pick up another bottle of this in future.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Deep amber, with off white head, leaves pretty good lacing.

S: Floral and citrus hops are most notable, a malt touch too.

T: Kind of biscuit flavor with citrus hops, not too sweet, but well balanced. More hoppy than expected, good thing.

M: Medium body, not heavy, easy to enjoy.

D: It's solid for a 12 pack offering, wouldn't go out of my way to get a six pack.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can't believe I have never tried this one before... this is a great New England IPA. Nice hop profile to this one, good bitterness to it, solid mouthfeel and body... I like it a lot better than Lucky Kat; wish they made this one available year round. Solid beer for sure, great drinkability... def. a good addition to the season 12 pack.

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

pours a hazy orange-brown with a quickly dissipating almost white head that leaves some chunks on the glass.

aroma is very faint. but what is there is buttery, citrusy and floral.

taste follows with a buttery toast and honey sweet malt character that is followed by some acidic citrus and floral hops. bitterness lingers for a bit.

mouthfeel is very prickly from the carbonation with a lot of hop resin left on the tongue.

drinkability is ok. too much carbonation with not enough body and flavor, but no off-flavors or overpowering qualities.

it seems this beer just has an identity problem. it doesnt know if it wants to be an english ipa, a citrusy west coast ipa or a malty east coast ipa, and instead just hints at all of them without asserting its own identity.

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

pours a light orange-golden with decent, fast settling head of off-white.

i think this has changed since reviewed by the bros...! nose is slightly hoppy, but more malt and mellow. by far.

slight hop bitterness, but very drinkable and tame for an IPA. MUST be different than it was in 2002! a good balance for sure which is nice. but nothing stellar. thin mouthfeel doesn't help elevate this as it could've been. i'd be happy with plenty of this at a warm spring party, but nothing 'special'...i think this one needs some chocolate to bring out some nuances dancing about on my tongue.

I was looking for a new IPA to try while in the packaged store this past weekend and this one caught my eye. I remember seeing this when I first got into Beer. Haven't seen it since and so I thought I'd give it a try.

It poured a nice orangish color, with a off white head, that surprisingly left some beautiful lacing behind in the glass.

This one had a very citrus nose, lots of grapefruit, some cascade hops, things of the sort. I think what threw me off a bit was their choice of the yeast. Must be something that I haven't had before because I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Taste - it was hoppy and bitter but not what i expected it to be. I felt as if it left a weird aftertaste but that could have been from the yeast that was left behind. I kind of was hoping for a west coast kind of feel out of this one (because of the cascade hops). Don't get me wrong, this one is good, just wasn't what I expected (not necessarily in a bad way either.)

Mouthfeel - this one was medium, not too heavy or light. Seemed ok.

Drinkability - i'd have no problem having a few of these during a nice summer evening. It's a good beer for sure, nothing wrong with it, but nothing too great. Good all around beer.

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Opened the top of the bottle and got a pleasant smell. Poured into Pint glass. Just a bit of head on top and it stays there with good carbonation. The beer when held up to light is a beautiful amber color. I know I am drinking an IPA from the smell, first taste is good. I let it linger, can feel the carbonation tingling on my tongue. The IPA is not overpowering, I feel like i am drinking an IPA light, (or everyone else overdoes theres, hey I'm a stout kind of guy!)

As I'm drinking down the pint glass my head has a nice trailing effect. 1/4" on the glass above the beer following me down, not enough to leave rings, but excellent head nonetheless.

If a friend wanted to drink an IPA and wasn't used to them, this would be an excellent one to start with.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

Picked up this single bottle to 'give a shot'.

Poured into a pub glass producing about an inch of white head. Leaving a collar as well as some sticky lace and rings all the way down.
Color is great, a darker amber with redish orange hues.

Aroma is surprisingly floral with hops and nectar. A honey suckle likeness with a candy sweet effect. I havnt really smelled an ipa like this before and I am really digging it.

Taste is glimmering with an assortment of hop flavor as well as malt. More of that honey suckle, floral meets honey now into taste. Leafy hops bring out a mild mint flavor. A distant cousin to cotton candy in there, caramel malts, cactus fruit jelly, bittering pine.
An assortment of delicious flavors that are pleasing indeed.

Mouthfeel is a touch thing but carbonation does not overwhelm. A mild slickness across the pallet.

I thought this was a decent brew, but nothing overly exceptional that would make me want this over others. The cactus fruit and honey suckle provided some oddball flavors for me here. But still did taste good.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Dark golden/copper body, nice two finger head with decent retention and great lacing.

Aroma: Balanced well between the earthy hops and malt.

Taste: Very tasty. Earthy hops, mild bitterness and nice malt backbone.

Feel/Drink: Great mouthfeel and drinkability is just right.

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours golden with a nice head.

Smells like hops, lots of hops. And a little Magic Hat creativity.

Tastes a bit like the nose, decent amount of hops.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Good balance.

Pretty drinkable. Magic Hat is many things, but not drinkable isn't one of them.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Pours a deep golden-copper hue, big creamy head, nice lace rings.

S - Buttery and metallic, earthy hop, and with a slight cheapness to the aroma.

T - The taste is very much better than the smell. A nice bouquet of herbal and earthy hop sits upon a sharp and dry bready malt. Not so buttery or biscuity, but hop-centric and quite flavorful.

M - Exceptionally smooth, and still with nice sharp carbonation. Good job in this aspect.

D - Pleasant, not outstanding

A: Bright, clear, golden color. Poutred 2 finger off-white head with fair retention. Medim lacing.

S: Hoppy scent. Nice balance of malt and hops, very inviting.

T: Toasted malts; burnt toast and nuts with some caramel. Citrus and hop flavor balance.

M: Light-to-medium body. Medium carbonation. Resiny hops on the palatte

D: Good balanced IPA. Good flavors and feel.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

9/28/2004. This is a nice all around beer. If not my favorite certainly one of my favorites from Magic Hat. Copper color topped with a medium white head that leaves a nice amount of lacing on the glass. Maintains a nice head throughout. A very smooth fruity, bitter hoppy flavor. The malts are there too which provide a nice backing and add balance to the beer. I liked it. Too bad it's now retired...

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours an amber color with a decent head, not much lacing.

Smell has mostly a piney/citrusy hop aroma with some caramel malt hints.

Taste is fairly herbal from the hops, little buttery but barely noticeable, decent citrus presence, nothing outstanding or noteworthy from this Magic Hat offering, certainly not my favorite from them.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to plaid75 for this brew.

Pours a nice golden amber color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy off-white head, which leaves some nice small islands and sticky lacing. The nose is more on the malty side, but there is some hoppiness there as well, slight citrus and pine's, good dose of caramel. The taste is malty/hoppy, some citrus and pine's going on, and some caramel thrown in. The finish is slightly dry and bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a nice English IPA, glad to have had a chance to try out.

Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger creamy white head. There was good lacing and retention.

The smell featured an orangy sweet hop and a good caramel malt.

The taste consisted of a very well balanced citrusy hop and sweet grainy malt. Solid doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness.

Overall a very tatsy and well balanced IPA. Rumor has it that this beer will soon be made no more. That is too bad.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours out a strong amber color, with a light head that lingers at the top.

There is a piney smell, with a hint of malt to it.

It has a slightly dry, hoppy taste, with some bitterness as it hits the back of your mouth. Kind of leaves a bit of a dry, piney aftertaste.

Overall a solid IPA, that I could enjoy over and over again.

Blind Faith from Magic Hat Brewing Company