#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,266 | Reviews: 1,666
3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I feel this beer is what mainstreamed craft beers.

2.43/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Smells sour. Tastes foul. Ow

4.46/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting beer for being a somewhat cheap crafty beer

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber with a bubbly white head.
The aroma is a combination of floral and spice and a bit of fruit candy.
Taste is similar. A bit flowery and maybe a hint of corriander and a bit of earthiness. As it warms, I pick up a bit of a vegetal flavor. Very little bitter.
Mouthfeel is on the thin side and well-carbonated.
Overall, weird but not unpleasant and somewhat refreshing.

2.11/5  rDev -37.8%

Look: Light Amber color with 2 finger head of foam upon pour. Poured into 16 ounce pint glass from a bottle. Decent head retention with some lacing. Carbonation evident upon pour with tiny bubbles throughout.

Smell: Yeasty with light apricot tones, contributing a musty scent (I have always thought apricots smell musty, so that's an individual nose thing, not a fault in the beer). Nose opens to stronger apricot-fruit scent as the beer sits.

Taste: Drier than the nose would indicate. Floral notes hit near the end, followed by a touch of bitter. Very malty, almost no hop presence, except for very slight bitterness at the finish.

Feel: Thin, just this side of watery. Pleasant level of carbonation.

Overall: A decent fruit style beer for warmer weather, but nothing I would seek out to drink again. While the aroma opens the longer the beer sits, the taste never changes. Not a bad beer, but in all fairness to Magic Hat, I'm not much of a fruit or vegetable style beer drinker, unless it comes to Dogfish Head Punkin Ale or Southern Tier Pumking.

3.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Just a strange feeling and taste to this beer, to me it taste like grape cotton candy. Sweet and fruity but in a sugary way which I'm not use to in a beer. I don't hate it, nor do I love it but I will order it again until I figure out what taste is hidden in this beer. No head upon pour ... just confusing

4.57/5  rDev +34.8%

I feel I have to lead every review by saying I'm just not a huge hop head. Which is probably why I love 9 so much. A little fruity but also a little hoppy in a good way. My go to beer on a chill Friday night.

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Light gold/brown color, clear body and topped off with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Good lacing around the glass and there’s no visible carbonation.
Smell:
Mildly fruity but otherwise there’s not much aroma to this one.
Taste:
Semi tart, mild apples and wheat grass and a slight touch of ops, not bad at al.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied and very crisp
Overall:
Not bad over all, good tasting and well balanced.

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised at how passable this was, only cracked one open for nostalgia purposes. The biggest pro was mouthfeel, the carbonation in this beer lends a nice crispness. Very quenching and drinkable. Biggest negative was the nose, due to confusion more than anything. It's like I can place there is some sort of fruit in there but it is not very appealing and for the life of me I could not ID it blindly (believe I heard it was apricot at one time).

4.21/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful taste. In between an IPA and an Amber.

3.27/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good Summertime brew for a hot day. I've had this beer three times. Don't hate it, but can't get too excited about it either.

4.68/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2nd favorite of all time

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

Tastes and smells strongly of apricot (not a bad thing). Smooth and fruity, without the aftertaste. Better than most "fruity" beers. Good in a bottle, very good on tap. My go-to beer at Mustang Harry's for any pre Madison Square Garden events, where they almost always carry it on tap.

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As advertised...can NOT figure out what the taste is! It's familiar but can't pinpoint. Squash? Definitely good for summer - crisp, not too light, plenty of flavor.

2.64/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A relatively solid Ale, nothing special or robust about the flavor. It pours a deep gold color with a creamy inch of head, some decent lacing retention but not too much, it is very bubbly; almost excessively bubbly for my personal tastes, highly carbonated. As far as the taste goes this is as bland as it gets for me, its not particularly awful or anything but it isn't very good either. Tastes like a champagne or perhaps even a white wine, just very alcoholish tasting. It has a 5.10 ABV but tastes much stronger then that, tastes like a 6 abv brew at least or more to me anyway. On the bright side it has a very creamy texture which I like and it seems to settle down the more you drink it, but the taste never fully improves. It isn't a bad beer by any means, but I certainly wont be buying this again.

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

Look: Beautiful orange to copper color with slight hazing, very little head and light lacing.
Smell: malt and spice
Taste: drier than expected, tasting malt and indescribable spices, refreshing and smooth
Feel: very low carbonation
Overall:very good pale ale

2.86/5  rDev -15.6%

This beer has a crazy flavor profile ranging from a fruitful orchard nose to the less than flattering flavor. The flavor profile ranging from some old Apple to rancid pear

1.34/5  rDev -60.5%

Ick! So glad I didn't buy a 6.

4.41/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have loved this since high school. (Sorry mom). My first foray into micro brews. Who knew there was more to life than Coors Light? A tasty beer. Not as fruity as one would expect. Refreshing.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is totally 'okay'. Like, I kind of wish they'd pick something else to put in every single pack, but since it's their crowd pleaser, it's probably a good marketing scheme. I just expected to like it a lot more than the 'last 3 beers left in the pack' staple it has become.

2.92/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Quick review. This is definitely a love it/hate it kinda brew. I'm firmly in the hate it camp.

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I love a hoppy ending

2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Well, I don't know what to say, the description says it all. Don't want to be unfair, colour, smell, carbonation, overall qualities make them a decent beer, but I didn't like it, it is something different, too floral, and too sweet, you smell it and have a first sip and you immediately picture yourself hopping in a garden of flowers like Heidi, picking up cherries, I mean it is not what you expect from a beer, I won't have it again, but quality speaking, it is not a bad beer.

4.08/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

It tastes like crap when it gets warm.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, this is what I used to think "craft beer" was. I would often pick it up at a specialty store, drink and enjoy. Now, as my palette has become more sophisticated, I revisited this old favorite. Needless to say, it's not nearly as good as I remember, but still a great alternative to Sam Adams or Blue Moon if your unfortunate enough to be at Applebees. Still love the words of wisdom under the bottlecap. Today mine was "Milk a cow till it says wow"

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company