#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Reviews by eclaycamp:
eclaycamp

Kansas

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

I’m not sure exactly why, but I’ve always wanted to try this beer. Not sure if I read about it someplace, but it’s always been one of those beers that’s been on my radar. For today I’m using a tulip glass (non-stemmed).

The beer pours a crystal clear golden color – and I do mean crystal clear. You can read newsprint from behind the glass. The color is lighter than I expected, with a big creamy head. Small bubbles waft up from the bottom of the glass, showing clear signs that this beer will likely be highly carbonated. I was expecting this to be a “not quite pale ale,” meaning that it would be darker than a normal pale ale. Instead it ops in the other direction. Interesting.

Aroma is fruity, like orange, apricots, and lemon. The beer hints that it is going to be sweet, and there’s a slight bit of malt character that’s buried off in the background. Reminds me a bit of fruit leather or dried fruits – the real stuff, not the stuff you find in the kid’s section of the grocery store.

The taste is, I hate to say it, a little bit on the bland side. There’s some fruit, and some malt, and a pleasant lingering apricot / tangerine finish. But it’s somewhat muted, at least to me. To me there is a basic malt sweetness at the front, and the only real discernable hop character is minor bitterness in the middle of the beer. The flavor profile is fine; it’s just that they never really “pop” – I want this to be amazing but instead it’s only slightly above average.

Mouthfeel, as I suspected, is light and crisp. This beer aims to be easily drunk, and as such there’s really nothing to it. Heavy carbonation helps to scrub off the otherwise very sweet aftertaste.

Overall this beer doesn’t break any new ground in terms of flavor or style. I would consider this a nice gateway beer for those people who aren’t into craft beers, as the beer’s easy drinking style and uncomplicated flavor will likely appeal to the average mass-market consumer. Still, I can't help but feel that #9 is less than the sum of it's parts. As someone who looks for a bit more of a challenge out of his beer, this one falls a little bit short for me. Still, this is a beer I could probably throw back several of on a hot day, though it wouldn’t be my first choice.

07-23-2011 22:44:19 | More by eclaycamp

Lucasrjoel

07-31-2014 04:34:32 | More by Lucasrjoel
DAHoffman

3.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I will be updating this review at a later date. Not sure if maybe I got a bad six pack here. First one I had tonight was much more what I recall of the beer, but the second one had some issues. This is in a batch from "Play Under the Cap" (contest begins 5/1/14 and ends 9/1/14, so it may be that it was older in the store and mistreaded - wife bought it, so not sure yet where /when). I wanted to give a review a go though with a beer I knew, OR THOUGHT I KNEW, because I had NO IDEA this was classified as a fruit beer. Plowing onward...

A: Same golden color as normal (I have this beer often - see below) but seems I have a bust on the head this time (warning bells).

S: Also seems a little different, but may be because I'm trying to be more thoughtful. I am picking up more of a fruity note than I recall ( result of new knowledge? ), and catching a whiff of biscuits.

T: Not hitting the apricot note that seems prevalent in other reviews I read after seeing the fruit/vegetable categorization (see below again, I'm thinking more veg), and am really struggling with this because a) I love apricot so think I would hit it and to some extent I guess I see it, and b) never thought fruit with this beer in the past. As I think about it I keep hitting in my mind BRUSSEL SPROUTS (also a favorite of mine - think tiny sweet cabbages with slight under note of bitter) so may explain why I always had an affinity to the product. Kind of a hint of tea too, and maybe encouraging more in my mind green/veg aspects.

M: light and effervescent, with a velvety but clean finish, but with the effervesence another mystery to me on the lack of a head

O: Have been a fan since I first had one, and what I use it for is a "balance" beer. Normally don't have much on hand at home, and have too many people I know that are not into big beers and are pretty much old school pre-craft beer consumers. So I like to use it as a way to have beer on hand and not challenge them too much, but still gives me something to enjoy.

I am going to have to get a LOT more PRACTICE in reviewing and learning how to put up a good description of my beer experiences.

07-31-2014 04:31:58 | More by DAHoffman