#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,266 | Reviews: 1,666

#9 is always the first and last beer that I order as soon as I enter a bar or pub. The taste and aroma is leagues above any one else. And there is no hang-over feeling if I have had one too many. And usually I always have a morning head ache after a night of drinking draft beer. So I definitely appreciate Magic Hat for allowing the moment of clarity to get out of a one night situation! Slainte everyone!

Currently my favorite beer as far as pale ales go, or should I say 'not quite pale ales'? This beer is great from start to finish.

A- Typical, but very golden.

S- Smells almost just like it tastes. Very crisp and clean smelling.

T- Has a slight fruity taste but hits you with the hops simultaneously so you it is in no way overpowering at all. Leaves you with a good crisp feel all the way through.

M- The perfect consistency.

D- Anytime, Anywhere.

4.97/5  rDev +46.6%

pours a opaque gold with a one inch head that holds fairly well and nice lacing to the finish. smell is very fruity. taste, apricot and pears. mouthfeel is very smooth, slightly sweet very well balanced. magic hat hit the nose on this one, just a great tasting beer.

4.89/5  rDev +44.2%

Awesome.

I love Magic Hat, I'm just being honest. However, #9 is one of the last Year round beers im trying out.

Brown Bottle, bottom of the bottle lid read, "Dont yap when you nap" ehhh.

The pear smells slighly like a pear cider, but not strong enough. At first it tastes like pear, hits with with a touch of malt and a touch of hop, none of these are over powering, a very laid back beer.

4.87/5  rDev +43.7%

Being a fan of Pale Ales, I had to give this a try on suggestion from a friend. I was pleasantly surprised! It has a very fruity aroma to it but is not overwhelming and keeps the characteristics of an American pale ale. With light carbonation and a great taste it is a very easy drinker, well worth at least one try!

4.84/5  rDev +42.8%

My favorite summer beer. I know, it's available all year but I like it on the colder side on a warm afternoon. Dry yet refreshing, light but not whimpy, beautiful aroma.

4.81/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is underrated. Sweet taste, full feel. So drinkable. My only qualm is the slight syrupy sugary feel that forms on the back of my palate over time. Good with anything, so even tho some wouldn't call it "world class" it's really good any time and stacks up against the best. F***!

4.81/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I liked the fruitiness of this beer. Good overall taste.

4.77/5  rDev +40.7%

This was an exceptional beer. I have also had it on tap, but I don't remember it being this good. It was strong enought, but not too stong, and it didn't have an overly hoppy taste. Everything about this beer was understated yet bold. This was one of those beers that you would never think about drinking but would be very glad you had it in the end.

Excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

Apricot beer doesn't at first seem like a genius idea, but let me tell you it most certainly is.
The fruitiness draws you in, and the little ditties they write under the cap keep you from drinking all of it at 3 in the afternoon on a Monday, you know, just cuz.

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

This is one of my favorite beers in existance. I don't get to have it all that often, but savour every chance I get. Burlington's finest export! This ale is great out of a bottle, but even better on tap. It is smooth, full-bodied with a very distinct apricot finish. A brew materpiece!

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

I absolutely love this beer! This was the first beer I've drank that I would classify as "refreshing." I'd had other Magic Hat brews and brought to a BBQ and everyone made the same face when they noticed how smooth and fresh the beer was after a first sip. Pairs extremely well with food and is and ideal summer beer.

4.74/5  rDev +39.8%

Out of all the Magic Hat Selection No.9 can be drank all year round. Apricots are never a bad choice.

4.71/5  rDev +38.9%

I know this isn't everyone's kind of beer but this is by and far my all time favorite beer.
It has a golden body that is also pretty clear. It has a fruity smell. The taste is like the smell, with a medium to full body being dominated by a tropical fruit feel. There was a crisp hop bite on the end. It is a smooth beer. I like this style and drinkability. It is definitely the beer that I always know if nothing else catches my eye, will never disappoint me!

4.68/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2nd favorite of all time

4.67/5  rDev +37.8%

I have been drinking this odd brew for quite a few years. It puts a different spin on beer. Sat down with it, and it had a nice clear amber color, with a 1 inch head, not too thick, it left quickly after pouring. Smelled great, of fruits, notably something like peaches or apricots, quite different than other fruit brews. Very sweet first taste, hits the front of the tongue. Very smoothe and easy to go down mouthfeel. I will keep coming back to this beer when I can get it. Always a good choice, keeps things interesting.

4.65/5  rDev +37.2%

Magic Hat Brewing Company's #9 is probably my favorite beer at the moment. It's a rather odd color, a darkish pale ale. If you looked at it without actually drinking it, you might think it would be something your grandfather kept in the basement for 50 years. But, certainly drink it! Although the finish is not completely clean and it's slightly hoppy, the fruity taste (from apricots) complement the entire beer to create a wonderfully refreshing brew. I can only imagine how good it tastes on tap instead of from the bottle. It is quite bubbly as well, so if you plan to chug it be prepared to bring down the house with a burp afterwards.

4.64/5  rDev +36.9%

On tap at Black Bear Burritos, Morgantown WV. Pours a dead on amber with no head to speak of. However, it strangely laced nice. Odd.

Smell was mild but very tasty. Light, crisp malt with a beautiful lavender hoppiness. It litterally made my mouth water. As it warmed up, the malt became more assertive but never overpowered the lavender. Nice indeed.

Flavor was lovely. Mild to start, with a growing malt character and of course the floralness.

Mouthfeel was good but a bit watery at times. It was very refreshing though.

As for the drinkability, it was top notch. I could have drunk several but I limited myself to one. It was hard, though. Enjoyed the hell out of this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +35.7%

Served on tap at Coalhouse Pizza's Magic Hat Brewery Dinner in Stamford, CT, paired with warm cornbread smothered in New Orleans-style red bean gravy and sausage.

Creamy and cloudy orange pour with a fine white head that soon dissipates. Aroma is heavy on apricots, with a creamy malt and light yeast, slightly sour though the fruit and malt sweetness is stronger. Taste is apricots with sweetness and sourness well balanced, followed by a medium-light malt that is matched to the fruit flavor, and dry yeast. The fruit is a bit more up-front than in the bottled version, and the yeast taste is quite fresh and more prevalent. Slightly tart mouthfeel from the fruit, hops, and yeast, but a very refreshing tang that comes first and last, with the body in the middle. Very drinkable, an exceptionally good summer beer.

It is worth noting that when very fresh on tap, this beer easily outshines the bottled version, as well as on tap at less beer-centric establishments.

4.59/5  rDev +35.4%

Wonderful airy fruit flavors going on here. Hey - all you other brewers who think a fruit beer should taste like a Jolly Rancher candy - try some of this. Aroma is very soft, not quite faint, apricots and peaches. Malt glides across the tongue, a bit dry and powdery. Not at all sweet. Then the aromatics waft through post-swallow, peachy and delicate. Far333 - you've done me right, brother.

4.57/5  rDev +34.8%

I feel I have to lead every review by saying I'm just not a huge hop head. Which is probably why I love 9 so much. A little fruity but also a little hoppy in a good way. My go to beer on a chill Friday night.

4.57/5  rDev +34.8%

pours a nice dark golden-amber with nice, light, tall lacing and sustained head....nice ripe/dry fruit sweet note in the nose (apricots? peaches?) along with the malty (almost) pale i would expect...taste is really strengthened by the nice malt backbone and chewy mouthfeel. there is a perfect balance going on at multiple (!) levels. the hops and carbonation do the micro work that allows the malt and whatever odd magic hatwork is at play here...VERY drinkable and a nice, solid session (almost) pale for anytime of the year.

4.55/5  rDev +34.2%

For some reason if I go into a bar, and this beer is on tap, I have to have at least two. I love apricots, and they figure very prominently into the flavor of this beer. Not only that, but the apricot nose is much more prominent than that of the hops (I guess that's why the name it a near pale ale or something like that). The beer pours a golden orange, and, when I've had it on tap, has no head. There is a crisp sweetness that is balanced perfectly by the apri-hoppiness (the delicious mix of apricot and hop flavor). It reminds me a bit of a low alcohol One-Eyed Cat hefeweissen...

4.55/5  rDev +34.2%

A - the appearance of this beer was a nice amber color with a decent pale head

S - immediately get hit with the citrusiness of this beer, some hops in the nose

T - taste is sweet, just like smell

M - mounthfeel is pleasant with good carbonation and medium bodied

D - definitely could drink this one all day

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company