2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,125 | Reviews: 1,542 | Show All Ratings:
jeffmonarch

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +33.6%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Golden orange with a hint of red. Light tannish white head that goes away quickly.

S - I don't give 5's for many beers but the smell of this beer is awesome. Strong fruit smells. Apricot, peach, berries.

T - Very fruity but still a strong beer flavor. This is not a fruit beer that tastes like fruit first and the beer is an after-thought. This is definitely a beer first.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - I love this beer.

06-24-2008 03:04:57 | More by jeffmonarch
jeremyd365

4.53/5  rDev +33.6%

Pours a pretty light and clear coppery color with medium-low carbonation. Damn, it smells amazing! It seems real peachy/apricotty that I just want to keep putting my nose into. And wow that smell is relayed right into the flavor. I nice medium-low bodied ale with a wollop of citrus. I'm not even usually super keen on fruity beers but this one is done amazingly. This is a pale for the ages. Although I'm trying this in early November, I can definitely see this being a spectacular summer beer. Light, crisp, refreshing, and delicious.

11-06-2008 02:07:48 | More by jeremyd365

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer
ABV: 4.60 %

reviewed 11/13/09 w/ MG, bomber > pint glass
bought @ Broudy's JB for $3 for a 22oz

Appearance is a light golden honey color with a 2 finger fluffy head. Respectable head retention and minor hints of lace.
Smell has a very evident natural fruity aroma, not to sweet, smells like an excellent fruit/razz wheat.
Taste is a light body fruity taste on a light malt body. Reminds me of a a creamy/wit like Raspberry Wheat Ale.
Mouthfeel is light body and high carbo, but it works fine in this context.
Drinkability is a good sessionable fruit beer without being too overly sweet. I enjoyed this one very much for the style.
CAUTION: If you dont like fruit beers you will think this one is overly hyped...

11-23-2009 15:47:43 | More by unclejimbay
trf32

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

A- Not-quite-pale-ale indeed. Hazy. Nice head, sticks around for a bit.

S- Spiced yams. Cinnamon and some herbs I could describe better if I cooked more. Plums. Hm, this is fun.

T- Peaches and pears and plums all the way. It definitely has that tart taste they have when they're just getting ripe, but with cinnamon apple sauce. It's really unique and well-rounded with the hops and malt.

M- The beer comes and goes as the flavors stick around. There's a bit of dryness to it. Carbonation is solid.

D- Not hard to drink and the flavor is actually nice enough that I wouldn't mind getting a case.

10-14-2010 23:32:58 | More by trf32
heybrewtiful

4.48/5  rDev +32.2%

This was the first "fruit beer" I ever tasted, and I was immediately in love. Superior on all levels when had from a on-draft pour, this beer has apricot and lavender notes and a tart, pungent nose. Slightly sweet with a balanced bitter counterpoint, this 'magic' brew has carried me away more than once. Bottled, it seems to lose some of it's complexity and roundness, so seek this out on tap when you can.

10-26-2012 21:23:20 | More by heybrewtiful
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

This beer is just heavenly. I am yet to taste a beer from Magic Hat that I did not like. Great golden color, fruity aroma, sweet (but not overkill) taste.Great blend of Apricot. A perfect beer to compliment spicy food. I love it with Buffalo Wings.

05-27-2002 12:37:49 | More by Jdiddy
taez555

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

"Beware the bore behind the Door"

This beer poured very clear orange/copper colored body. A finger size white head sat on top that took it's time to slowly die down.

The smell is in your face apricot. Very overpowering syrupy sweet smells of apricot.

The taste of this beer is amazing. It starts with a very soft bitterness and some light but very present soft malt flavor. What then follows is this amazing fresh apricot taste. As if you just big into a juicy ripe apricot and the nectar is flowing out. But at no time is the apricot flavor overpowering to the beer. It sits perfectly in the mix and finishes very dry and even.

Just like smoked beers fruit beers are an aquired taste. I myself love Magic Hat, but hated this beer for years. I think once you let down your predjudice towards fruit beers lumping them in with malternatives, you can really look at this beer for what it is. A work of art.
It's not for everyone, but another fantastic and original beer from Magic Hat.

06-12-2003 01:28:39 | More by taez555
erica

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

I like this #9 stuff a lot. And I can finally get it near me! It's light and fruity and refreshing and not too bitter. It's a pretty orangey amberish colour with a bit of a white head, a tad cloudy in appearance too. It smells crisp and hoppy, with a big apricot punching me in the nose, but in a good way. It tastes great too, the biggest flavour I get is the apricots, followed up by hops that don't leave too much of a bitterness in my mouth. It's a perfect mix of fruit and hop to me. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, very nice, and drinkability is great, I could drink this often, and I just might!

06-23-2004 14:25:50 | More by erica
jubnat

Louisiana

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

Golden-orange color, bright white head. Very good aroma. The apricot flavor is great, not too overpowering, but not too subtle. It also has a bit of bitterness reminiscent of a pale ale. The flavors balance very well. The mouthfeel seems a bit too carbonated and the finish is slightly dry. Surprisingly, I could drink a whole lot of these (I tend to get tired of the flavor of most fruit beers). I never thought apricot would make a great beer. I never really though I like apricot either, but this is a great brew. I only wish it was available where I live.

12-03-2006 00:30:47 | More by jubnat
Carpathia

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

Appearance: Clear orange color with a tall, pillow-like head that disperses to a thin, lacy head. Lots of lace on the glass, still fizzing on the way down.

Smell: Apricots and malt. Apricot is dominant, smell is overall pleasant.

Taste: Clean and bright with a dominate, yet mild to medium flavor of apricots and other similar fruit. Sweet, not bitter in the slightest. Thoroughly enjoyable at the pricepoint.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, clean. Not too heavy, not at all light.

Drinkability: This is a definite session beer. It can be knocked back all night long.

01-24-2010 05:16:02 | More by Carpathia
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

I've had this many times, but I prefer from a pitcher at one of my favorite bars.

A-slightly hazy orange with a barely off white head and beautiful lacing.

S-Smells of fruit (apricot, apparently) and a slightly bitter hops.

T- More of the smell. I'm not usually a fan of bitter hops, but it offsets the fruity, sorta malty sweetness perfectly.

MF- Not exceptional, but very nice, the bubbles are present, but by no means off-putting.

D- I honestly believe I could drink this all night. The taste is great, but it's light enough that I could pound these back for hours.

Overall, this is one of my favorite brews, especially sharing a few pitchers with good friends and good conversation.

02-04-2011 23:31:10 | More by phideltashaggy
Ahoyhoyindeed

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

Appearance: orange, almost orange soda orange
Smell: Sweet, hints of apricot and citrus
Taste: Light sweet flavor with apricot overtones, citrus under
Mouthfeel: Crisp and light
Overall: A good session beer for those who like a little bit of sweet in their beer. Can helps it make it as cold as possible which makes this a really easy beer to drink in a session but is far superior to most domestic sessions.
Serving type: Can

Serving type: can

07-14-2011 16:14:13 | More by Ahoyhoyindeed
ppoitras

4.45/5  rDev +31.3%

12ozer from a mixed 12pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Underside of bottle cap said "Buy your Gal Growlers with her Flowers" for those interested in such things...

Poured into a pint glass, formed a short-lived but substantial head, which left lace here and there as it receded down the glass. Nice lightish orange color, with a an easily apparent fruit essence. Not a big fruit beer fan myself, but this one just seems to balance so well with just the right amount of fruit input, it works almost perfectly for me. Crispness makes it a great summer beer as well.

Has become one of my "normal" beers over the past few years, with some holding down the fort in the fridge at almost all times.

01-22-2004 22:07:50 | More by ppoitras
JasonCoop

4.45/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

pours a nice amber color with large off-white head.

reeks of sweet ripe apricot. nice hop spice in there too. nice.

taste is sweet. ripe apricot flavor with slight bitter edge from hops on the finish. delicious. very refreshing. i'll get these again on one of the hottest days in summer.

mouthfeel is clean and crisp. fairly light. nice little ale.

04-03-2006 06:47:05 | More by JasonCoop
orcasteve

4.45/5  rDev +31.3%

this one i drank out of the bottle so for appearance i gave this the bennift of the dobut, this is a great light flavered beer, the flavor of approcats fills my mouth in the begining stays through the middle and leaves me wanting more at the end. i dont realy taste much else in this one. this is a beer that would be a great starter beer to get people who hate beer or only drink ABMC into craft beer

09-28-2008 23:04:59 | More by orcasteve
TStandley13

4.45/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

I have a special place in my heart for an ice cold #9. I know that it gets criticized for being mediocre, and that many people feel that Magic Hat is a "sellout" but I truly feel that #9 is a unique and quite tasty.

A - Orange and cloudy. Head is pretty white, and sticks around for a bit leaving slight lacing on my glass.

S - Fruity smelling, very sweet. Definitely detect apricots.

T - Fruity flavor, once again surfaces the apricot. Other fruits as well. Not bitter at all. Alcohol hidden very well.

M - Decent mouth feel but nothing notable. Pretty thin with a pleasing amount of carbonation.

D - I could probably put away a sixer of these bad boys and I would still crave more.

02-01-2009 00:22:09 | More by TStandley13
beernut7

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

This is an extremely drinkable fruity pale ale. Very smooth melded flavors of malts, hops and apricots. Great party and BBQ brew.

05-12-2002 11:22:07 | More by beernut7
sublimesipping

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

partook of this beer as an afterthought, more out of couriousity and not expecting much. boy, was I wrong!. Beer served in a pint, pours a nice orange,lemon color with great clarity, good carbonation and wonderful glass lacing and a strong head on its shoulders. this beer smells of dried apricots and dried apricots or canned peaches. a yeasty smell with a strong fruity essence is how I would describe it. Taste blew me away with an intial bitterness followed by a strong but subtle resididual sweetness. Taste of apricot danish followed by a belini mimosa. detect hops and malt , hops and malt, and a delicate balance therein. Beer is wonderfully balanced and the fruit esssence gives it a hint of allure and dvrives the drinkability quiotient through the roof. a delicious session beer with a subtle punch. cheers!

05-13-2004 02:59:57 | More by sublimesipping
moulefrite

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

Pours a deep orange with a creamy, sticky head that leaves a generous lace down to the last drop. Tangy dried apricot aromas, on the palate a taste delight-sweet apricot, balanced with tangy hop. The beer heads in a sweet direction then quickly dries out and refreshes nicely. Washed down a baked haddock sandwich with great ease.

08-27-2004 00:58:16 | More by moulefrite
Scheity

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

Magic Hat is one of the biggest perks about going to school in Boston. My Vermont buddies go crazy about it, and for good reason.

Works best, if in a bottle, poured into a pint glass. A slightly reddish-orange color. Generally pretty small head.

The taste, a light hoppy taste with the apricot flavor -- great clincher, not overwhelming at all -- makes for a hell of a session beer. Take a whiff of it beforehand, it's got a lovely and full fruity aroma.

02-07-2005 21:51:24 | More by Scheity
Brad007

Vermont

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

This beer pours a medium pale color with a head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is dry with hints of apricot. Taste is similar with the apricot complimented by a slight maltiness. I first sampled this beer 5 years ago and have not had it often since. However, I'm still impressed with the taste and as I have gotten older, I've learned to appreciate it more. One of Magic Hat's hints of brilliance and their flagship brew as well.

05-03-2007 00:40:28 | More by Brad007
Reverand

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

I really like this brew. Great golden color with nice head that clings to the glass. The apricot aroma smacks you in the face from the moment the bottle is opened. I didn't think that I would like fruit beers but this on is alot of fun to drink.

04-14-2002 03:47:06 | More by Reverand
Dodo2step

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

Purchased at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA.

I love this beer as i have had it numerous times. It has to be one of my favorites especially in a variety pack.

A-clear golden in color with a one finger lace. The head dissipates very quickly as does the lacey whiteness.

S-it has a hint of apricots and hops. A sweet yet bitter smell.

T-the taste also has a hint of apricot but it has more o f a mild hoppy taste.

M-fresh, crispy. It kindo f reminds me of eating iceberg lettuce. The freshness.

D-i recommend a case of this. Good beer and i could drink it all the time.

02-02-2008 02:13:03 | More by Dodo2step
hdofu

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

Strong smell of apricots, light brown color fizzy but no head. Taste starts mildly of wheat beer but overtime the appricot taste overtakes the taste buds. Medium bodied beer with a taste of apricots lingering afterwards? This is a beer I could drink more then one of.

04-28-2008 02:13:46 | More by hdofu
LukeD23

Delaware

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

I hadnt had this beer in about a year. I never remembered it as anything special, but I had one last night and man did I enjoy it.
Beautiful color and chrystal clear, no much head retention but I wasnt expecting any.

The smell was nothing special, slight sweetness not much hop aroma

Taste was mildly sweet with hint of almost a tart fruit finish, very nice blend of hops and malt leaning on slightly malty

Mouthfeel was light and vibrant, really felt alive in the mouth tartness hits on the front of the tongue and a short hop taste was left after swallowing

I think this is a very very drinkable beer, not to strong but tuns of flavor.. light enough for summer but strangely seems warm enough for a winter drink, I guess thats why its a not quiet pale ale.

04-30-2008 12:43:25 | More by LukeD23