#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 5,329
3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer was ..... kind of boring. Nothing wrong with it at all, just nothing particularly good about it either. Poured a standard pills/IPA gold, decent foam head reduced quickly to tight lacing. Smell is clean, not overly hoppy. Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated. Taste is ok, not bad at all, but nothing really stands out to make it interesting. It's very drinkable, probably because there is nothing really to it. Slight grain, slight hops, yeast is neutral and clean. It just needs... more. Not sure more of what, but more of something, anything, to appear less "average". (587 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: fizzy, clear, amber

Smell: funky, old shoe, fishy

Taste: not as repugnant as the smell; cheerful, yet flatter than expected; citrusy; toasted sesame aftertaste; juicy

Feel: not very strong

Overall: interesting (219 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great all seasonal beer. summer picnic beer or warming up by fire in winter. Love this beer. Not a staple but several times a year its a go to. So unique. Been drinking it for over a decade before fruity beers were in. Its sweet but not sugar-y. Floral and not too hoppy. It moth coating and so de-lish. Nice amber color. Good smell. Better taste. (360 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1pt 6oz bottle poured into a mug

L: Amber (darkish) with a large white/tan head that fell after about a minute to a thin layer. Small amount of lacing that slid down the sides of the mug to rejoin the the thin head.

S: light smell a bit citrusy. As it sat and warmed a bit moved to a more fruit like smell. A very little of a hop smell.

T: light hop taste with some bitter on the backend.

F: lightly carbonated bite on the tongue and mouth. Has a dry feel in the aftertaste.

O: enjoyed this ale and would get it again but it is, in my opinion, not a drink that you drink more than a pint of at a time. (607 characters)

A dark shade of yellow. Has a hoppy wheat like flavor with some fruity apricot notes. It's decent to consume for free on a warm day. I'm not going to the store to buy this on purpose. At least it is in a can and comes in a variety pack. (236 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A darker colored Blue Moon - sweet, fruity (apricot) - not untasty, but no head at all... if tasting with eyes closed, it's not bad actually, but the lousy visual with no head or lacing at all? Not too good. (209 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

Very interesting beer. Originally had this on tap at a BBQ restaurant and it has grown on me since. Flowery aroma, similar taste and hints of coriander. As far as cheaper craft beer goes, this is a home run. (207 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a bit of an acquired taste and in my experience needs to be one of the first things you drink or with a clear palate. The distinct flavor a such as apricot and coriander can be harshly influenced by other beers before it. That said I like this beer a lot. Love the dark color and very floral scent. Easy to drink multiples. (336 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber with a bubbly white head.
The aroma is a combination of floral and spice and a bit of fruit candy.
Taste is similar. A bit flowery and maybe a hint of corriander and a bit of earthiness. As it warms, I pick up a bit of a vegetal flavor. Very little bitter.
Mouthfeel is on the thin side and well-carbonated.
Overall, weird but not unpleasant and somewhat refreshing. (386 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -37.9%

Look: Light Amber color with 2 finger head of foam upon pour. Poured into 16 ounce pint glass from a bottle. Decent head retention with some lacing. Carbonation evident upon pour with tiny bubbles throughout.

Smell: Yeasty with light apricot tones, contributing a musty scent (I have always thought apricots smell musty, so that's an individual nose thing, not a fault in the beer). Nose opens to stronger apricot-fruit scent as the beer sits.

Taste: Drier than the nose would indicate. Floral notes hit near the end, followed by a touch of bitter. Very malty, almost no hop presence, except for very slight bitterness at the finish.

Feel: Thin, just this side of watery. Pleasant level of carbonation.

Overall: A decent fruit style beer for warmer weather, but nothing I would seek out to drink again. While the aroma opens the longer the beer sits, the taste never changes. Not a bad beer, but in all fairness to Magic Hat, I'm not much of a fruit or vegetable style beer drinker, unless it comes to Dogfish Head Punkin Ale or Southern Tier Pumking. (1,057 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Just a strange feeling and taste to this beer, to me it taste like grape cotton candy. Sweet and fruity but in a sugary way which I'm not use to in a beer. I don't hate it, nor do I love it but I will order it again until I figure out what taste is hidden in this beer. No head upon pour ... just confusing (306 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

I feel I have to lead every review by saying I'm just not a huge hop head. Which is probably why I love 9 so much. A little fruity but also a little hoppy in a good way. My go to beer on a chill Friday night. (208 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Light gold/brown color, clear body and topped off with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Good lacing around the glass and there’s no visible carbonation.
Smell:
Mildly fruity but otherwise there’s not much aroma to this one.
Taste:
Semi tart, mild apples and wheat grass and a slight touch of ops, not bad at al.
Mouthfeel:
Light bodied and very crisp
Overall:
Not bad over all, good tasting and well balanced. (435 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised at how passable this was, only cracked one open for nostalgia purposes. The biggest pro was mouthfeel, the carbonation in this beer lends a nice crispness. Very quenching and drinkable. Biggest negative was the nose, due to confusion more than anything. It's like I can place there is some sort of fruit in there but it is not very appealing and for the life of me I could not ID it blindly (believe I heard it was apricot at one time). (456 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Tastes and smells strongly of apricot (not a bad thing). Smooth and fruity, without the aftertaste. Better than most "fruity" beers. Good in a bottle, very good on tap. My go-to beer at Mustang Harry's for any pre Madison Square Garden events, where they almost always carry it on tap. (289 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As advertised...can NOT figure out what the taste is! It's familiar but can't pinpoint. Squash? Definitely good for summer - crisp, not too light, plenty of flavor. (164 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A relatively solid Ale, nothing special or robust about the flavor. It pours a deep gold color with a creamy inch of head, some decent lacing retention but not too much, it is very bubbly; almost excessively bubbly for my personal tastes, highly carbonated. As far as the taste goes this is as bland as it gets for me, its not particularly awful or anything but it isn't very good either. Tastes like a champagne or perhaps even a white wine, just very alcoholish tasting. It has a 5.10 ABV but tastes much stronger then that, tastes like a 6 abv brew at least or more to me anyway. On the bright side it has a very creamy texture which I like and it seems to settle down the more you drink it, but the taste never fully improves. It isn't a bad beer by any means, but I certainly wont be buying this again. (807 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Look: Beautiful orange to copper color with slight hazing, very little head and light lacing.
Smell: malt and spice
Taste: drier than expected, tasting malt and indescribable spices, refreshing and smooth
Feel: very low carbonation
Overall:very good pale ale (258 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer has a crazy flavor profile ranging from a fruitful orchard nose to the less than flattering flavor. The flavor profile ranging from some old Apple to rancid pear (171 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have loved this since high school. (Sorry mom). My first foray into micro brews. Who knew there was more to life than Coors Light? A tasty beer. Not as fruity as one would expect. Refreshing. (191 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer is totally 'okay'. Like, I kind of wish they'd pick something else to put in every single pack, but since it's their crowd pleaser, it's probably a good marketing scheme. I just expected to like it a lot more than the 'last 3 beers left in the pack' staple it has become. (281 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Well, I don't know what to say, the description says it all. Don't want to be unfair, colour, smell, carbonation, overall qualities make them a decent beer, but I didn't like it, it is something different, too floral, and too sweet, you smell it and have a first sip and you immediately picture yourself hopping in a garden of flowers like Heidi, picking up cherries, I mean it is not what you expect from a beer, I won't have it again, but quality speaking, it is not a bad beer. (480 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, this is what I used to think "craft beer" was. I would often pick it up at a specialty store, drink and enjoy. Now, as my palette has become more sophisticated, I revisited this old favorite. Needless to say, it's not nearly as good as I remember, but still a great alternative to Sam Adams or Blue Moon if your unfortunate enough to be at Applebees. Still love the words of wisdom under the bottlecap. Today mine was "Milk a cow till it says wow" (455 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a pale, golden color with 1 1/2 finger head. Average - low head retention.

S - The aroma appears to be an attempt at a fruit beer yet ends up smelling like bread to me. I'm not quite sure what to make of the aroma. A lingering scent that reminds me of many macro brews.

T - A bitter-tart flavor that isn't too pronounced. Very distinct flavor of apples present. It's not horrible but I feel is more of an acquired taste.

M - Light bodied beer, very crisp. Fairly carbonated; more than my personal liking.

O - An average beer that didn't wow me or anything. I feel would've been better if another fruit instead of apples were used. (644 characters)

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hadn't had this one in a loooong time since college days mayhaps. I guess that's why I was hesitant to return to this one, but I ended up getting one for free which I could not turn down. I was expecting the worst, but it was better than I expected.
Look was orange in color, hazy(didn't think this was a wheat beer), opaque(kind of like looking through stained glass) The head disapeared into a thin white head that stayed with it all along. There was not much lacing.
Smell is I thought at first like fake berries(fruity pebbles) and down the line got more prunes. It is definitely a sweeter smell.
Taste was fruity, a bit of hops, malty like a scotch ale and then a dry finish. It does remind me of a scotch ale quite a bit.
The body is thin and goes down smooth. Not a ton of carbonation. Since I like scotch ales and I felt like this was comparable it was a decent beer in my opinion. It has a sessionable quality since it is only 5.1% ABV. (964 characters)

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company