2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,106 | Reviews: 1,540 | Show All Ratings:
xXTequila

1.85/5  rDev -45.4%

I do not llike this beer at all. I hear alot of people love this one and when bars have magic hat on tap it usually this one and I just don't understand why. This, to me, is their worst beer. It is way to fruity, with a very sacharine (sp?) after taste that takes forever to go away.

11-07-2001 10:00:18 | More by xXTequila
DarthKostrizer

1.85/5  rDev -45.4%

Look: Light copper color with 1 1/2 inch foamy white head and some good lace. This beer has some crazy looking carbonation bubbles looks like a science project.

Smell: Some wide range of fruit in here and when mixed together they leave a kind of funky smell. Picking up hints of apricot, peach, bananas and just a slight note of citrus most likely from the hops

Taste: That same funk that I described with the scent. Its fruity thats for sure but not sure the flavors are working in harmony.

Mouthfeel: Thin body mildly carbonated with a smooth finish

Overall: I think the logo describes this beer the best. It does not make any sense to me. Seems like they just winged the recipe and threw things together and said to hell with it we brewed it so let's bottle it and see if it sells.

06-26-2011 02:53:57 | More by DarthKostrizer
PolarBear3

Australia

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Poured honey/amber colour with a light frothy head that dissipates to a thin film rather quickly only a little lacing.

S - Very sweet apricot, fairy floss or perfume like aromas. Weird..

T - Apricots, mango, sweet sticky toffee apple and candy. Quite syrupy and difficult to consume.

M - light to medium bodied with very little carbonation

O - As a fruit beer definitely not for me this one. Very sickly to drink and I will struggle to finish. Would not recommend.

03-08-2012 13:07:44 | More by PolarBear3
DmanGTR

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured orangey yellow with a hazy body and a white puff of head that diminished quickly. Aromas of pale grains, wheat twang, boiled vegetables, mild citrus, and an odd earthy tone blended with the apricots that is simply off putting. Flavors are very similar, with more of a fruity kick in the finish. Big carbonation for the thinnish body. Not really my thing.

10-11-2013 04:06:21 | More by DmanGTR
StrangeBrew1

Kentucky

1.93/5  rDev -43.1%

Not sure what all the hype is about this beer with friends and every time I go into the store? I can only say the marketing is much better than the product. Every brewery has there signature taste like adding hops or chocolate in the brew. Magic Hats signature is Dove soap. Every single beer from them tastes like a mouth full of soap. I have tried and tried other ones and the same aftertaste is there. Explaining everyones reviews that they couldn't drink more than 1 of them. It must be the MAGIC I'm tasting?

03-27-2008 20:34:08 | More by StrangeBrew1
KarlHungus

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a cloudy golden orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes quickly into fluffy lacing. The aroma is of berries with a hint of pale malt. The taste is of rotten fruit. Very unappealing. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer, and I'm really having a hard time getting it down. This is about as close to a drain pour as it possibly could be without actually going down the drain.

04-02-2011 21:47:46 | More by KarlHungus
JamesTurkey

look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Golden honey with a thin white head, which dissolves quickly and leaves little lacing. Good carbonation keeps it bubbling throughout.

Smell: Slightly sweet and fruity, but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

Taste: Some of the same as the nose: a little sweet and fruity, but I also get a strange buttery taste. Malt and bread presence at the end. Surprisingly light, quite off-putting.

Mouth: The carbonation offsets a slight thickness. I have nothing else to say here.

Maybe it was the fact that it had to be shipped to the West Coast, but this beer wasn't very good at all. A good flavor is key to a good beer, but it completely falls flat in that category. Unfortunately, this is one of the notably bad beers I've known.

03-16-2013 22:40:15 | More by JamesTurkey
Bulkman

1.95/5  rDev -42.5%

Poured a golden color with amber hues from a bomber into a goblet; yields a full one finger head. There is no lacing to speak of as it immediately drops after drinking.

This beer smells like dish soap, I am trying hard to find something else in it, but that is all I get. Ughh.

Once you get past the smell, it is actually not awful, but not even average either. Pretty bland with an artificial fruity taste.

It feels light on the tongue with a crisp, though not clean, finish. It's barely drinkable, and in fact, I am drain pouring the rest of my glass, as well as the rest of the bomber. Pass this one by, not recommended.

03-29-2010 01:17:51 | More by Bulkman
Verticalgambit

1.95/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Orange/Amber in color with somewhat cloudy in glass.

Poured with almost no head.

Smell is mild floral and malty with a little fruit.

I can definitely taste the apricot with a little acidic after taste.

Overall not my favorite beer, but I can see how my people would like this beer. It really could be sensational with someone that is not in to super hoppy beers.

07-21-2010 21:14:17 | More by Verticalgambit
hardy008

1.95/5  rDev -42.5%

Amber color with an off white head with poor retention. Smells like apricots, or maybe artificial apricots. Not real appealing. Some pale malt is also present.

The taste is as unimpressive as the aroma, maybe even more so. Apricots / artificial apricots, pale malt, and not much else. No real hop presence.

Light bodied, if not thin, fair carbonation. Not impressive, and I don't plan to try this again.

08-30-2010 02:27:35 | More by hardy008
AleWatcher

1.95/5  rDev -42.5%

I love pale ales, and I love fruit beers... So a marriage of the two could only be awesome....
Sadly, tis not the case here.

The beer is a weak pale ale--- not enough hops to be a good pale ale... The fruit flavor isn't popping enough to make this a good fruit beer. This is taking to mediocre attempts at the two styles and combining them into one bottle.
Kudos to Magic Hat for trying to reduce their carbon footprint by combining two crappy beers in one crappy beer, but this is not good for any other reason.
Golden yellow with small white head and virtually no lacing or retention. Looks undercarbonated.... And it feels like it too. Weak thin body is in need of more bubbles!

Weak thin beer is in need of more flavor! This thing has a slight touch of malts, little sweetness and breadiness. Little hops come through with floral and citrus notes. The fruity apricot notes hit too, but very weakly. There is also a soapy bitterness that comes through on the finish.

Overall, if this were a Pale Ale it would score worse than it is here. As a fruit beer, I'm inclined to be more forgiving. This is just not enjoyable.

06-09-2011 17:02:41 | More by AleWatcher
bishes

North Dakota

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

Tasted similar to robitussin cough syrup. I struggled to finish the glass and only did so in order to get another beer (and to save my friend from having to stomach it). This is only better than some nasty blueberry beer I drank last summer. Very disappointed.

09-08-2011 00:25:12 | More by bishes
atlason

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

33cl bottle. No freshness date in spite of promises on the label.

A: Clear deep gold, minimal lacing and v. small head.

S: Smells of overripe fruit gone a bit bad with some butter.

T: The fruit is overwhelming. Some background maltiness, the wheat does show when you know it is there but the main flavor is an overpowering slightly artificial funky fruit.

M: Dry and crisp with medium carbonation. Fresh and drinkable.

12-10-2011 07:37:08 | More by atlason
BeerBelcher

I picked this up at Brew&Brew in North Ridgeville, OH while visiting family and looking for things I couldn't get at home. And in this particular case, I can't say I'm upset that this beer is not available in my town...I wouldn't buy it if it was.

Appearance is a dark gold color, maybe like you'd expect from a really full-bodied lager. Head was thin and not persistent. Aroma was lightly hoppy, a bit fruity, but cereal is really what dominates here. Flavor is a weird graininess followed by some off fruity esters. I'm not a fan. Careful examination of the label reveals that this is a "flavored IPA." Additional examination yields that this beer has apricot flavor, which I did not detect. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and unpleasant.

I would not recommend this beer. The enjoy-by date stamped into my label was Mar 2008 (a good 3 months past when I drank it)...I am grateful that Magic Hat provided me with this date.

12-27-2007 01:36:50 | More by BeerBelcher
rickyleepotts

Arizona

This beer is classified as a fruit beer. Well, a fruit/vegetable beer. Not sure I would enjoy a vegetable beer. Yuck! At least a fruit beer sounds sweet, and somewhat enjoyable. What’s next, Miller Cabbage Lite?

The beer smells quite carbonated, with a punch of fruity goodness. With just one sip, you are hit with a force of carbonation then the palate is covered with a fruity sweetness. Not too sweet, like candy, but a soothing and polished sweetness. The beer has a very low ABV, and it’s obvious when you drink it. The aftertaste is weak too, and leaves your palate quickly after you swallow. Even the burred (a subtle burp of course) is weak and has little to no flavor. This beer smells a LOT better than it tastes.

The folks at Magic Hat are known for making unique beers, with even more random naming conventions. But this one just doesn’t cut it. I would rather just smell this and then drink a Bud Light. Nice try Magic Hat, but this beer just isn’t for me.

06-24-2011 03:03:49 | More by rickyleepotts
Pacostacos

Starts off fine enough...but then the promising mouthfeel and flavor turns into an odd perfumy unpleasantness.

I could reach deep and point out positives aspects of this beer like an interesting complexity, crispness, and a decent color. But to my palette, the taste (especially the finish) is something I'd never want to taste again. I've had a lot of pale ale's and haven't had this reaction before. Maybe it's just my palette versus this particular beer.

09-26-2012 03:07:57 | More by Pacostacos
Rennpferd

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

It poured extremely pale. It had a one finger, pure white head. Moderate carbonation was present.

It had a slight rice like smell at first. There was little to no scent present after a moment of sniffing at it.

It had a unique taste. Not bad, but not good. There was a presence of fresh pea-pods. It was medium bodied. It had a clean finish.

Not a good beer for me. I did not find it very drinkable.

04-08-2009 00:28:37 | More by Rennpferd
EAKovac

2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

In my humble opinion, a nasty undesirable beer. However, it came in my variety pack, so alas I will drink it...and since I will drink it, I will review it!

the "not quite Pale Ale" pours all but clear with just a hint of cloudiness. Pours almost the same color as the lettering in the bottle recycle statement on the back with little head at all. What head there is disappears quite quickly.

The smell and taste of apricots overwhelm me as I struggle to swallow this beer (not a fan of apricots at all!)

WHY DOES EVERY BAR IN HARRISBURG SEEM TO HAVE THIS BEER ON TAP?! HOW IS IT SELLING?!

I guess if you love apricots and hate delicious beer, then you should give this one a chance!

I must stand up for it on one point though, and that is that much like all magic hat beer bottles, this one has some nice label artwork. If only the beer was as fun as the label...

05-13-2009 00:43:19 | More by EAKovac
granger10

2.05/5  rDev -39.5%

I got a sixer of this from my family in New York, it's their favorite beer. Throughout this week I have been trying to enjoy it, thinking it would improve but alas it did not happen. Flavor is sickening with a poor apricot flavor and some funky English ale type taste. Finish is medicinal and leaves a nasty flavor on my tongue. I could be wrong but I don't think they used real apricots in here. It just doesn't work for me. This tastes really fake and overly sweet and medicinal. Not a good beer at all.

08-27-2005 17:34:35 | More by granger10
CaptainIPA

2.08/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

P: Served on-tap @ Sugar Maple on 6-27-08 and presented in a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale, golden color with a thin head that results in moderate lacing.

S: Strong, cherry nose - like smelling a pint full of Cherry Sucrets.

T: Opens with an over-the-top fruity flavor, with notes of cherry and raspberry, before fading into soap and cardboard off-tastes. Moves on to herbal cues of rosewater and medicinal strawberry soda. Finishes dry, sour and bitter - like rotting fruit on wet cardboard. Ack!

M: Light-bodied and moderately carbonated.

D: Magic Hat #9 is described as Not Quite Pale Ale. I would also contend that it is Not Quite Drinkable. Avoid.

06-30-2008 14:01:18 | More by CaptainIPA
marvin213

2.08/5  rDev -38.6%

Cloudy for a pale ale, and light for a fruit beer (as I now see BA has it labeled). Light carbonation for either as well, and light on the color (almost peachy) relative to a traditional pale. It looks oddly fruity--though brown, its ghost white fizz looks lambic-like. Unique, but the uncertainty about this "not quite Pale Ale" leaves me uneasy.

Smell is apricots on a hop biscuit with a twist of peach. That combo has obvious potential, but there's a sourness here dissuading me. It doesn't smell bad as in soured by bacteria and poisonous...but as if the fruits were overly ripe. It's a little puckering.

The taste is stale fizz. Isn't that ironic? There's definitely the apricots, and I've yet to embrace 'em in a beer. I love weird brews and scoff at Reinheitsgebot, but maybe apricots aren't good beer ingredients...or maybe I just don't like apricots. There's a subtle hop background, but the fizzy, sourish apricot dominates. It feels like it tastes--maybe even worse with the way the carbonation accents things.

Magic Hat creeps toward DFH-level status with its general marketing, but my experience with their beers pales to that of Dogfish Head. I haven't had as many of the Vermont specials, and I realize it's not about #9 relative to anything else, but this beer leaves me less apt to reach for another Magic Hat.

02-27-2010 19:42:12 | More by marvin213
vdread

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Magic Hat #9 was left at my house after a party. this seems to be the ubiquitous high school/college party girl drink for some reason.

#9 pours a very clear yellow with tons of bubbles, but only a very slight head that soon reduces to nothing.

smells are initially very fruity. a very sharp apricot taste rules. some slightly bready malt aromas linger.

the maltiness does come out a bit more in the taste, but unfortunately, it is drowned out by the overbearing fruit. some breadiness, doughiness is most apparent. the hop note is slight, yet sharply floral, and easily missed.

this brew delivers a blast of apricot with each sip along with a sick-sweetness that makes it hard to drink.

mouthfeel OK. well carbonated, and does a good job of scrubbing the tongue after each sip, leaving hints of bready malt(more apparent in the aftertaste than in the actual taste). ends slightly dry.

i had one or two of these the other night, after a few Torpedoes of course, and thought it didn't taste too bad. upon fresh review, i find this beer to be difficult unless you really like the apricot taste, or are a fan of fruit beers that are more fruit than beer.

05-07-2010 23:10:14 | More by vdread
jucifer1818

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Appearance: average at best. Nothing memorable about it, but not bad.

Smell: Decent, smells like apricots. that's what they where going for, and its the beers best feature

Taste: Weak! it has very light appricot notes, but overall its a hard beer to finish

Mouth feel. Nothing memorable about this one, but its defiantly nothing good. bland and weak, its a well deserved 2

Overall: Not recommended at all, unless its the only beer on tap that isnt a AAL...because as bad as this one is, its better than miller light.

If not pass it, you can do better

11-04-2012 17:55:22 | More by jucifer1818
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.13/5  rDev -37.2%

On-tap at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI served in a US tumbler glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a little bit of lace on the glass.

S: Heavy fruitiness in the smell (apricot & berries) along with a background of hops and malt.

T: The fruitiness that you get in the smell hits you as soon as you get the beer in your mouth. It overpowers what little hops and malt characters exist in it. It does leave a bitter after-taste, but not the hops-style of bitter that is typically welcome.

M: Very crisp, light-to-medium body, high carbonation, dry finish.

D: It’s light and although the flavor is different, it’s strong enough to make it tasty, but to be perfectly honest; I don’t think I could drink more than one of these. I just didn’t like the flavor enough to stay with it.

06-04-2006 02:57:34 | More by TheManiacalOne
elpollodiablo

2.13/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer was disappointing on many levels. Magic Hat has been marketed really aggressively in our area over the past year, and I'd resisted the recommendations of friends and well-wishers because the packaging looked hokey to me, and I generally avoid pale ales whose bottles say "not quite IPA" and "infused with the essence of apricot." Against my better judgment, I ordered one last night and was summarily unimpressed; actually a little disgusted. While the beer poured nicely and looks pretty enough, cloudy and coppery, it poured with absolutely no head. Its smell was unremarkable, especially for an IPA supposedly infused with fruit. The beer tastes bland and watery with just a hint of an edge of disgusting rancid fruitiness; it completely lacks any of the bitterness or hoppiness that would qualify it as even a pseudo-IPA. Other reviewers here have mentioned a soapy or dishwater like taste, and I'd have to agree. The Magic Hat hefeweizen has this in droves, as well.

04-24-2008 14:13:33 | More by elpollodiablo