2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Ratings: 4,109 | Reviews: 1,540 | Show All Ratings:
MadCat

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Golden yellow color, short white head, not much lacing

Smell: Apricots and biscuity malt

Taste: Apricot, biscuit, light hops and bitterness

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation

Overall: This used to be a favorite of mine, and probably would be a preferred choice if there isn't good selection, but it doesn't do much for me anymore.

03-02-2014 03:53:27 | More by MadCat
RingoBro

3.16/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Served in a chilled glass

Appearance- I noticed there wasn't much head on this beer. Still looked fairly lively some time later though

Smell - Very fruity smell, possibly thought strawberry at first. Overall a very nice and sweet smelling beer.

Taste - I couldn't pinpoint what fruit I was tasting, but later found out it was apricot which I'm not a fan of. Still really liked that taste. Little bitter, but definitely not in a bad way. Good aftertaste

Mouthfeel - Refreshing, fruity, and light. Great spring/summer beer.

O - This "not quite Pale Ale" was not quite great, but I found it really refreshing. Try it if you have the change because I found it very refreshing, fruity in a good way, and had a nice after taste. I wouldn't mind drinking more of them if there isn't much on tap.

12-05-2013 04:17:54 | More by RingoBro
JohnnyJam

Arizona

2.88/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this beer on tap at Boom Bozz, a chain pizza place out of Georgia. I really used to like this place and it was fairly busy. It was a nice addition to the options for Gilbert restaurants. The first Sierra Nevada Torpedo I ever had was here. The bartender was really into craft beers and that really helped me with trying different styles. Our server the other day didn't know what Magic Hat #9 was but he thought it was a Pale Ale. It's a fruit beer. He never asked what I thought about it to learn what he was serving. This is how far I think this place has fallen. But this is about the beer.

A: This is a light amber color. There is virtually no head and the lacing is non-existent

S: Smells malty and sweet. A little fruit smell like apricot or unripen peaches. Very little smell.

T: Malt forward with a little apricot taste. Tastes artificial. Really no hops to speak of at all.

M: Light-bodied and high carbonation reminds me of a light beer. Finishes a little bitter.

O: This is not a beer for me. I didn't care for it and really didn't like it. I couldn't drink another and I wouldn't have it again. My friend, who isn't really a beer drinker thought it was ok. My experience has been that women, especially those who don't drink beer will gravitate towards fruit beers. That is only my experience and I don't want to offend anyone.

11-20-2013 18:59:40 | More by JohnnyJam
stella77artois

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a warm pint glass.

A - Poured a hazy amber with an approximately 1" head. Head was "loose" and dissiapted rather quickly. A good amount of carbonation visible.

S - Mild malts, a general fruity smell. Noted apricot, banana, strawberry, and perhaps a hint of candy sweetness, like Starburst or citrusy taffy. These were all faint aromas, but it's a nice smelling beer.

T - Mild malts are noticed, and a general light fruity taste. Difficult to pick up flavors, but I noticed hints of banana and strawberry. Also some dankness. Not a lot going on, but this isn't a bad beer.

F - Certainly sessionable. Crisp and refreshing like a good pale ale should be. A fair amount of fizz felt, slightly dry finish. Not good tasting to enough to session with under most circumstances, but I can picture doing so.

O - Actually slightly better than I expected. Decent pale ale, nothing outstanding and nothing I'd buy, but I'd drink again.

10-30-2013 13:00:58 | More by stella77artois
Deanosaurus

Missouri

3.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Tried a glass of this beer at a bar near my apartment called Snibo's. Just a small sports bar and grill, nothing special, borderline hole in the wall, which is good. I was intrigued by the vague name and neat design of the tap for this beer and was not keyed in on any of the flavors by the bartender. She gave me a sample first then I decided to order a glass.

- Appearance (4/5)
Sort of orange and sharply clear. No real head to it which I thought was strange.

- Smell (4/5)
Fruity. Didn't have too much uniqueness to the scent but I couldn't really place it right off the bat.

- Taste (3.75/5)
This is where the beer failed me. As I said I was not keyed in on any flavor so I was prepared for just about anything, but not this. It was sort of metallic and my first though was that it tasted like blood. Then that would subside and it tasted almost like an ale on the finish, but then the metallic taste still lingered.

- Mouthfeel (4/5)
It wasn't smooth, mildly bitter which made it tingle a little bit on the tongue, but in a sort of refreshing way. If I could equate it to any type of soda it would have the same feel as a Fresca or Squirt with a similar taste.

- Overall (3.75/5)
#9 was good. A sort of mysterious beer and I don't typically hear much about it. I would probably order it again once spring and summer roll back around, but it's not something I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE. I looked it up later too and it seems that the key flavor was apricot which I thought was interesting. Glad I didn't know ahead of time because I would have been disappointed.

10-18-2013 15:15:27 | More by Deanosaurus
DmanGTR

1.85/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured orangey yellow with a hazy body and a white puff of head that diminished quickly. Aromas of pale grains, wheat twang, boiled vegetables, mild citrus, and an odd earthy tone blended with the apricots that is simply off putting. Flavors are very similar, with more of a fruity kick in the finish. Big carbonation for the thinnish body. Not really my thing.

10-11-2013 04:06:21 | More by DmanGTR
57md

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't believe that it took me this long to review this very drinkable classic from Magic Hat.

Appearance is a light golden copper with half a finger of head that dissipates quickly. Apricots poke through in the nose and the flavor profile as well. The finish is mildly (stress that word) hoppy with a sweet note as well.

This is a fine beer and very sessionable. It is NOT great by any means. This is s great gateway beer for people just starting to take an interest in craft brewing.

That said, if you are looking for a creative use of apricots in beer, try DFH Aprihop - it is superior to this offering in every way.

08-30-2013 03:34:16 | More by 57md
Franziskaner

Missouri

2.65/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Gold hued with a half inch of foam on top. Apricot on the nose, but it is faint. I take a sip and, whoa Apricot! That's it. Very one note. Not intensely sweet, but not too pleasing to taste. The flavor definitely sticks with you well after the swallow.

06-29-2013 23:19:22 | More by Franziskaner
Libationguy

Nevada

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light reddish-copper color with brass-yellow hues and a slightly hazy look. Fine bubbles in the carbonation. Moderate head with moderate- retention.

White peach, mandarin orange and apricots. Hop citrus notes are nicely balanced with the fruitiness. A little bit of celery seed and coriander. Relatively bright on the nose. Mild floral tones.

Fruity quality continues on the palate. Bright and lifted in style. More citrus than stone fruit in the palate. Grapefruit pith in the back end cleans everything up nicely.

Medium bodied and very clean. Body pushes through the finish. Carbonation is well balanced in the beer.

06-24-2013 22:51:35 | More by Libationguy
ranger7

3.24/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On-tap from Brewgrrs in Vero Beach, FL.

A - Nice amber color, with a thick and sticky white head.

S - Smells a bit sweet. Some type of fruit, maybe apricot or peaches.

T - Nice and smooth flavor. Not much in the way of hops or malt. Basically, it tastes like a light beer with an apricot finish.

M - Hardly any carbonation, which is good. There is some apricot aftertaste, but it's actually not bad.

Summary - Not my favorite beer, that's for sure. But, it's not a bad pick for a fruit beer. Really, it's comparable to Shiner's Ruby Redbird, but not as harsh an aftertaste.

05-25-2013 13:27:11 | More by ranger7
tectactoe

2.44/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Stone Pub. Pours a mellow amber-orange color with highlights of burnt sunburst around the edges; slight haze but not enough to completely cloud your eyesight to the other side. Fizzy, bone-white head goes almost as quickly as it comes. The aroma is fruity, light, and crisp; apricots, oranges, peaches - sounds great, right? Unfortunately the smell comes off a little too contrived, artificial, and errs on the side of medicinal. Not enough to abhor the beer already, but it doesn't bode well for how it's probably going to taste. Hits the palate with a thin-almost medium body, crisp, snappy, and fizzy. Takes over with the fruity sensation right away - apricots still in the forefront, with some peaches, tangerines, and pears on deck. The strange, vitamin-like medicinal character is actually less apparent on the palate then it was in the aroma, which is a good thing, but I still have to smell this sucker every time I bring the glass to my mouth. A bit of grain and pale malt flavors along with a flower-like hop character which is unfortunately mostly shoved aside by the fruitiness. Low bitterness start to finish, highly carbonation with an aftertaste of artificial fruits and a touch of yeast.

I commend this beer for being almost somewhat of a "gateway" brew that brings people from macro style lagers to the wonderful world of craft beer. It's lighter, not abrasive, easy on the palate; so it's easy to see why newcomers will enjoy it. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold a candle to the rest of the craft world, and once you expand your tastes, this one is easily forgotten, and in many cases, eventually frowned upon for having a weird, medicinal astringency.

01-24-2013 13:01:34 | More by tectactoe
Darkmagus82

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served an orange amber colored brew with a small white head. The head faded rather fast to leave a tiny amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is sweet and consists of fruit, candied sugar and caramel. The fruits are of the lighter variety with aromas of pear, peach and apricot present.

Taste – The taste begins with the lighter fruits that were detected in the nose. Peach and apricot are the most pronounced and are mixed with a subtle bready flavor. As the taste advances some caramel and candied fruit flavors with a more grainy like flavor come to the tongue. It the very end, a light floral hop taste joins the rest leaving a mostly light colored fruit flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was on the lighter side in terms of its thickness with a carbonation level that was rather average. The two when combined with the fruit and sweet flavors make for a nice very easy drinker.

Overall – Overall a quite tasty and easy drinking brew. It’s fruity and sweet, but not really cloying. A nice session style brew.

01-05-2013 01:05:57 | More by Darkmagus82
BierStein711

2.78/5  rDev -18%

This was an alright beer, I was not too impressed.

half finger head with a light yellow color

smells of malt, I really don't smell any fruit aside from apricots

tastes of just malt

A little too thin for my tastes

Overall, my impressions are that I had a bad keg or something. I'll try it again in the future, but I won't go out of my way to do that. If it impresses me then... I'll edit my review.

10-31-2012 21:21:32 | More by BierStein711
heybrewtiful

4.48/5  rDev +32.2%

This was the first "fruit beer" I ever tasted, and I was immediately in love. Superior on all levels when had from a on-draft pour, this beer has apricot and lavender notes and a tart, pungent nose. Slightly sweet with a balanced bitter counterpoint, this 'magic' brew has carried me away more than once. Bottled, it seems to lose some of it's complexity and roundness, so seek this out on tap when you can.

10-26-2012 21:23:20 | More by heybrewtiful
Ford

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Brick House Tavern in Galveston, Texas

One of the few craft beers they had on tap, and I hadn't tried this one.

I wasn't excited about it as I'm generally not a fan of this style of beer.

Overall it was pretty good. There is some fruitiness there, though I couldn't pick out quite what it was.

Not a huge amount of aroma.

Slight bitter finish, but very small. An easy beer to drink. I liked it, didn't love it. I'll take it over the big American beers for sure.

10-01-2012 21:34:02 | More by Ford
Drk93TT

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%

Had on tap a lot of times. So unique.. A must try!

Beer itself is a golden brown color, with a nice head.
Smells like sweetness and malt. Tastes very good to me, a very well carbonated beer with a sticky unique sweetness. Mouthfeel is good, very solid and different. Overall #9 is a great beer that is easily found on tap at many bars. Solid choice with a burger or dinner

This brew is great on a hot summer day... refreshing!

09-24-2012 17:45:16 | More by Drk93TT
TheRealBigC

Nevada

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

This beer is just too weird for me. It smells like perfume, and if I ever drank perfume I bet it would taste similar, though without the carbonation's bite. It's really complex, and for that I commend them. They pack a lot of fruity flavors and it finishes dry, but I don't see how a person would be able to enjoy this. I'm sure it divides beer fans.

09-21-2012 00:19:48 | More by TheRealBigC
yorlummass

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

This is an excellent beer on tap or in a bottle. It has a darker feel to it while remaining rather light in aftertaste. Has quite a fruity taste to it, similar to a Bells Oberon, yet it is built more so for any season or occasion and doesn't fit a particular time of year. Still its for those who don't mind the taste of a little fruit in their beer.

08-31-2012 10:15:31 | More by yorlummass
gtermi

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

A: The beer pours a nice clear golden body with a very thin head that leaves a tiny bit of lace on the glass.

S: There really isn't much smell to this beer. It has your typical beer smell with a tiny bit of apricot.

T: Now to me, this is where the beer truly shines. Yeah it's different and has crazy flavors, but thats what this beer is all about. The apricot really sticks out and makes this a truly perfect summer beer for the pool side.

M: There is A LOT of carbonation to this beer. It tingles all the way from the front of the tongue to th back. I would prefer if this beer were a little more smooth.

O: Though it doesn't have a great rating on this site, there is something about this beer that I really enjoy. It is so tasty and has cool and crazy flavors. Well done

06-20-2012 05:19:52 | More by gtermi
eriktoyra

Sweden

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a golden an orange liquid into the glass. A one finger high head with small bubbles. The head stays even after a couple of minutes. Carbonation is visible, almost like a sparkling wine. Leaves a lot of lacings on the glass when I start drinking. Looks nice!

S: Smells sweet, apricots and tropical fruits. Grassy tones and small amount of hops. After a while some blue cheese tones appear. None of the smells are distinct.

T: Tastes a lot of apricots! Some earthy tones together with some spicy hops at the end. It's almost like there are German or Czech hops in it. Tettnanger hops maybe?

M: Very drinkable. Light in body. Carbonation is medium and the bubbles tickles the tongue lightly.

O: A very nice beer for a warm summer day. Feels refreshing and it slips down easily while still not tasting bland.

05-19-2012 00:55:43 | More by eriktoyra
grminzey

#9 is always the first and last beer that I order as soon as I enter a bar or pub. The taste and aroma is leagues above any one else. And there is no hang-over feeling if I have had one too many. And usually I always have a morning head ache after a night of drinking draft beer. So I definitely appreciate Magic Hat for allowing the moment of clarity to get out of a one night situation! Slainte everyone!

04-29-2012 17:15:07 | More by grminzey
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -13%

Had a "shorty" glass on-tap at The Yardhouse in San Antonio. Had it a couple of weeks ago, review done from notes.

Hazy light amber almost peach colour. Off-white head is 1/2 inch and bubbly. Spots of lacing here and there.

Aroma of citrus fruity hops and apricots.

Tastes like a standard American Pale Ale with an Apricot profile. Caramel with citrus and floral hops all with an apricot overtone.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Can't say this is my favourite. I'm not a big fruit beer guy and this was listed under Pale Ales at the Yardhouse, so not what I was really craving. Worth a try though.

04-15-2012 22:12:39 | More by Noxious26
rangerred

Tennessee

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Had on draft in a pint glass.

Arrived with no head and a slightly hazy orangey-gold body.

Aroma was very fruity with the apricots definitely being prominent. Also a faint metallic note and little malt detectable.

The flavor was nearly all apricots up front transitioning to a slightly toasty maltiness towards the finish. Mouthfeel was a little bit slick and oily making this a good thirst quencher.

Overall, not a bad beer and a good introduction to craft. Good on a hot day

04-01-2012 14:38:53 | More by rangerred
kojevergas

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

Served on-draught into a beer stem-flute. I don't remember where. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and good retention. Colour is a transparent clear bright copper.

Sm: Apricot, clean malts, and heavy fruit esters. Clean and fresh. Very welcoming and appealing.

T: Clean apricot, some light background hops, and clean malts as the foundation. Fruity but balanced. Simple yet effective. Very refreshing. Built well for what it is. No complexity or subtlety. Nothing unique here.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours nicely. Doesn't feel tailored specifically to the flavour profile. Light on the palate. A touch too thin.

Dr: Very drinkable. Does what it needs to. They were aiming for a simple refreshing beer, and in that they've succeeded. I'd have it again on-draught if it was offered at a good price.

B-

03-30-2012 03:36:45 | More by kojevergas
dbrauneis

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Served on tap at Jet Rock Bar and Grill at LGA (New York)

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow with lots of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall bright white head that reduces by about 50% but has pretty good retention. Light to moderate amounts of lacing is observed.

S: Some floral and very light grassy hop notes behind a fruity (possibly apricot) aroma.

T: Sweet and slightly fruity upfront with a lot of apricot hints followed by some light bitterness in the finish. The hop flavor could be described as lightly floral.

M: Light to medium bodied with high amounts of carbonation.

O: This is a beer I had very fond memories about from college but unfortunately my palate has changed/matured since then... Still a good beer for a very warm spring afternoon and very refreshing but not as good as remembered. Likely one I will still grab in the future.

03-13-2012 22:10:38 | More by dbrauneis