#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 5,328
3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer is totally 'okay'. Like, I kind of wish they'd pick something else to put in every single pack, but since it's their crowd pleaser, it's probably a good marketing scheme. I just expected to like it a lot more than the 'last 3 beers left in the pack' staple it has become. (281 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Well, I don't know what to say, the description says it all. Don't want to be unfair, colour, smell, carbonation, overall qualities make them a decent beer, but I didn't like it, it is something different, too floral, and too sweet, you smell it and have a first sip and you immediately picture yourself hopping in a garden of flowers like Heidi, picking up cherries, I mean it is not what you expect from a beer, I won't have it again, but quality speaking, it is not a bad beer. (480 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, this is what I used to think "craft beer" was. I would often pick it up at a specialty store, drink and enjoy. Now, as my palette has become more sophisticated, I revisited this old favorite. Needless to say, it's not nearly as good as I remember, but still a great alternative to Sam Adams or Blue Moon if your unfortunate enough to be at Applebees. Still love the words of wisdom under the bottlecap. Today mine was "Milk a cow till it says wow" (455 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a pale, golden color with 1 1/2 finger head. Average - low head retention.

S - The aroma appears to be an attempt at a fruit beer yet ends up smelling like bread to me. I'm not quite sure what to make of the aroma. A lingering scent that reminds me of many macro brews.

T - A bitter-tart flavor that isn't too pronounced. Very distinct flavor of apples present. It's not horrible but I feel is more of an acquired taste.

M - Light bodied beer, very crisp. Fairly carbonated; more than my personal liking.

O - An average beer that didn't wow me or anything. I feel would've been better if another fruit instead of apples were used. (644 characters)

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hadn't had this one in a loooong time since college days mayhaps. I guess that's why I was hesitant to return to this one, but I ended up getting one for free which I could not turn down. I was expecting the worst, but it was better than I expected.
Look was orange in color, hazy(didn't think this was a wheat beer), opaque(kind of like looking through stained glass) The head disapeared into a thin white head that stayed with it all along. There was not much lacing.
Smell is I thought at first like fake berries(fruity pebbles) and down the line got more prunes. It is definitely a sweeter smell.
Taste was fruity, a bit of hops, malty like a scotch ale and then a dry finish. It does remind me of a scotch ale quite a bit.
The body is thin and goes down smooth. Not a ton of carbonation. Since I like scotch ales and I felt like this was comparable it was a decent beer in my opinion. It has a sessionable quality since it is only 5.1% ABV. (964 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25%

I use this website often to decide on my buys, today I decided to try out a 6 pack of #9's with my 30 rack of bud light.
I was for some reason expecting it to taste like a typical IPA which I don't like but I was surely mistaken. It goes down so well, tastes of apricots and citrusy fruits, unlike any beer I've ever tasted. I'm not very well at describing beers down to the taste and smell and all that, but it's definitely worth a try. I could now say it's my go-to beer until I find something tastier, I know I'll be picking up larger quantities of this in the future! Definitely not looking forward to this 30 rack after tasting that! (639 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not the best fruit beer I've ever had, hints of apricot but nothing substantial in the body. Nothing special, just like the bulk of Magic Hat's lineup (150 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%

L - Amber color, very clear. Not much froth head from a hard pour. Disappeared very quickly.

S - Licorice; Fruity; Nothing overpowering.

T - Apples and other fruit at first; Wheat and beer after taste. Very weird.

F - Light body like a domestic lager but it is like an hard cider and a beer

O - This is like a hard cider and a beer combined. Very weird in character but that has been the whole story with this beer. This doesn't particularly dive into my realm but I would have this over Redd's Apple Ale (510 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Medium orange-brown color, with slight haze, anda small, dense white head, which retains poorly, leaving only a scattering of foam on the surface. Thin, finely-beaded lacing adorns the glass walls. Modest amounts of carbonation drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: The aroma offers a surprising note of apricots, and fairly robust pale malt.

Taste: The taste begins with caramel and apricots, not quite caramel dipped apricots, but both flavors are prominent. There is also an underlying bread-like malt flavor. Towards the finish, there is a slight tart and sour flavor, and some mild grassy hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, with modest carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not bad really, would be appealing in the depths of summer.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice. (870 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

Recently got a 12 pack assortment with different magic hat beers. First one out of the cooler was #9. I've had this one before and enjoyed it then and now.
Tastes good, looks good and goes down smooth. (205 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy golden-orange, a few lazy bubbles. Only a ring of white lace.

S: Fresh fruit; mandarin orange, apricot, peach. Not much 'beer' aroma- almost like a fruit punch, but enticing.

T: Same fruits, presented very dryly. Finally some banana-like wheat flavor, reminding me that this is actually a beer.

F: Light bodied, thankfully not syrupy from the sugary fruits. Not much texture, but that makes this extremely easily drinkable.

O: Not-quite-even-close to a pale ale. No hops, not much real beer flavor, and definitely not pale in color. Pretty simple, but that's it's strong point. A good refreshing summery beer. (630 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Golden orange in color with perfect clarity. Poured with a short, bright, frothy white foam with moderate retention. Sweet apricot and bready malt aromas. Esters are present due to eh apricot presence. No hop aromas. Aromas are well balanced and moderate. Medium bodied with medium high carbonation. Smooth and creamy through the middle with a slow building drying sensation toward the end. Sweet, mellow apricot and malt up front balanced by moderate bitterness through the middle. No hop flavors. Light bready malt near the end as this finished, clean, crisp and dry with a light ready and bitter aftertaste. Fruit, malt and bitterness strike are very well balanced. Exemplifies the style. (691 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a clear gold color with a bit of a white head that quickly reduces down to some lacing across the top.

Not a lot to the smell, seemed a bit funky when first poured, but there is malt and some fruit there.

Mainly fruit and sour, leaves a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste.

Feel is basically water.

Not sure what they were going for here, if to be different, they succeeded, but not in a good way. Tastes more like a chemical laced soft drink than a beer. I have had worse beers, but not many. (499 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

lemony, with some mild beer flavor. Not my type of beer. Does not meet the "tastes l9ike beer" test. But not awful- IF you like a lighter lemony beer with a little bit of "beer" flavor (191 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Also picked up as a part of a mix and match six pack at the sto'. Side poured from the glass into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Pours a hazy, slightly orange color with a thin soapy head that dissolves rapidly and leaves little lacing.

Smell - Light fruits, a bit of spices, not much else.

Taste - Pretty much the same thing as the nose. Nothing much going on here.

Mouthfeel - Finishes dry, a bit fruity. Light body, medium carbonation.

Overall - Meh. Underwhelming, nothing at all stands out. I don't even know if I would recommend it even in a mix and match. (572 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, golden-amber color with a slight reddish hue, topped with a quarter of a finger of white head that almost completely dissolved away into some wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very fruity and aromatic. Lots of Belgian yeast and raspberry up front, with some toasted malt notes imparting aromas of freshly baked sourdough bread. Very nice.

Taste: Very malty up front, quickly followed by some assertive and pleasant raspberry fruitiness, a little sourness, and some honey-like sweetness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, with some pretty good carbonation. With an ABV of 5.1%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is one of my favorite session beers. I really enjoy how refreshing it is with the nicely balanced malt, raspberry and Belgian yeast. Very good. (909 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Tasted 17 January 2015.

Pours a very clear, slightly odd orange color, sort of apricot-toned amber. Half a finger of off-white head, okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is funny, too. Again, it's sort of apricoty, but with some faint spices, and a chemical feel.

Taste is like someone took the smell and vacuumed all the substance out of it. It's dry and empty, with just a touch of that fruity sweetness. Not at all what I was expecting. Not bad, but not very enjoyable. It's slightly chalky, and there's just not much to it.

Feel is pretty good. Light body, sparkly carbonation. Dries out quickly and suddenly, like tonic water.

An okay beer, but kinda weird across the board. Seems like they tried to make something that would appeal to people who don't really want flavorful beer. Maybe they succeeded, but that's not what I want. (843 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is underrated. Sweet taste, full feel. So drinkable. My only qualm is the slight syrupy sugary feel that forms on the back of my palate over time. Good with anything, so even tho some wouldn't call it "world class" it's really good any time and stacks up against the best. F***! (288 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

355 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass. Appearance-cloudy pale golden color. A head that quickly dissipated. Smell - a very light vegetative aroma. Taste-- kind of bland. Mouthfeel - light bodied, slightly dry finish. Overall - it's OK, but doesn't quite compare to others. (278 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Blue Ridge Grill (Brambleton, VA) - draft in a pint glass
A - Light golden color with surface covering head, good lace
S - Very light fruit, not much else going on here
T - Distant fruit, sort of absent anything
F - good, nothing unpleasant, nothing standing out
O - Very easy drinking, but likely becasue there isn't much to this beer in the way of dominant flavors or complexity. It tastes mass produced. (408 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 3/5
Pours an extremely clear light orange-amber. Little to no head. Can see an above average amount of carbonation rising.

Smell - 4.65/5
A very unique smell, full of many flavors. Overall mostly fruity, berries are the fruit that stands out the most. The smell is so unique that it's hard to describe, other than that it smells fruity and delicious. Perhaps a small amount of malt smell and a tiny hint of alochol smell.

Taste - 3.5/5
Tastes similar to the smell during the beginning of the sip (though the taste is much less strong than I was expecting from the smell), but then changes its character a bit and becomes much less flavorful. There is some sweet malt flavor, with a tinge of fruitiness left. The latter half of the sip is also much more alcoholic. Overall, the flavor in the taste is slightly different than the smell, less flavorful than the smell, and for the most part just not that great. Not really bad either...just "weird". An interesting brew definitely, and I give them points for creativity and uniqueness. But overall, not something I would want to go buy a 6-pack of.

Mouthfeel - 3.8/5
Fairly smooth. In between creamy and crisp (or both?). Slightly less than medium-bodied. Moderate level of carbonation.

Overall - 3.25/5
This is a unique beer, and was definitely worth trying once. I don't think I will be getting again any time soon though. (1,388 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Purchased as a single at a gas station in Flit MI. Served at 6deg C in a plastic cup

A- Opens well and pours a dark golden slightly brown color.

S- Lots of fruity goodness. The raspberry comes though in spades.

T- Yup there is that raspberry again. Very light fruity beer. Long finish

M- Nice dry and crisp while being creamy at the same time. Very nice

O- An excellent brew. Will buy again if I see it

Food Pairing

This wonderful beer went well with..... Pizza- peperoni, hot peppers and pineapple.

Enjoy (514 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -30%

This tastes like cough syrup. Can't shake it. I made it through one the other night. I tried a second tonight and couldn't stomach it. I recycled the remaining four bottles. (176 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

355 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance-clear pale golden color. A finger of head with decent retention. Some visible carbonation.

Smell - vegetative with some apricot aroma. Apricot saves it otherwise this wouldn't be good.

Taste - starts with cooked veggies again and then a bland apricot flavor comes through. Faint apricot aftertaste, but there's a permeating bitterness through that prevents this from being sweet.

Mouthfeel - light bodied reasonably carbonated. slightly dry finish.

Overall - not a terrible fruit beer, but doesn't stand up to a lot of the other ones on the market. Worth a try especially if you like apricots and more beer like than others in the style, but not my preference. (722 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

I remember the first time I ever had this beer. I thought it was great, and it still is if what you define as "great" is more commonly defined as "not that good." It's color is darkish light, its taste is weak, and I couldn't tell you what it smells like. This was once a great beer to get you started in drinking craft beer. Now it's a great beer to ignore. (358 characters)

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company